Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Please Help with Giant Bigstick ARF building mishap!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Please Help with Giant Bigstick ARF building mishap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 PM
F14redfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with Giant Bigstick ARF building mishap!!!

Was beginning building this ARF, had some extra resistance while screwing in aileron servo on one of wings. Trying to add a little extra pressure on screw, I heard a snap and obviously broke a small peice of wood under covering at the leading edge of wing just above the servo. How should I repair? Not very experienced with monokote other than getting out simple wrinkles! Should I carefully cut a flap of the mono over the effected area and try to repair the break with 30 min apoxy?? If so then would I have to put mono overlaping the cut part and shrink it back together?Anyone's help and detailed expertise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for responses,Tim
Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would first inspect the damage as much as possible without cutting into anything.
then once I've got a good idea of exactly what broke (was the piece of wood a structural part of the wing, {like a spar} or part of the aileron servo mounting structure?)
I'd carefully cut out the covering needed to get in there and fix the wing.
then re-cover that area with a new covering patch.

there are a couple of articles on ARF wing repair here... hope they help

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=998
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=98
and
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=67
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wind up cutting the covering to inspect the damage wood, you can simply patch it back up with some Monokote Trim Sheets. These sheets are self-adhesive, much cheaper than a 6' roll of the iron-on stuff, and very easy to apply. The red trim sheet will match the Monokote on the plane perfectly.

I have never covered an airplane, but decided to re-decorate my Big Stick 40 ARF with some iron-on Monokote. It's easier than you think, especially after you watch a few YouTube videos. Better yet, get someone in your club to show you how it's done.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F14redfish
Was beginning building this ARF, had some extra resistance while screwing in aileron servo on one of wings. Trying to add a little extra pressure on screw, I heard a snap and obviously broke a small peice of wood under covering at the leading edge of wing just above the servo. How should I repair? Not very experienced with monokote other than getting out simple wrinkles! Should I carefully cut a flap of the mono over the effected area and try to repair the break with 30 min apoxy?? If so then would I have to put mono overlaping the cut part and shrink it back together?Anyone's help and detailed expertise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for responses,Tim
Any screw into wood should follow a drilling, Makes it easier for screws to do their job. As advertise above, cut into the area. Use some scrap plywood of size you can handle and glue it in. 5 min. epoxy or thick CH will do the job. If you have overnight time, any glue will probably do the work.
As stated above use some Monokote or Trim and iron it down. A couple wrinkles will not hurt the flying, Never had a model without wrinkles of some kind. Tissue, silk, etc and dope since 1945 along with wrinkle-cote back around 1970+/-. Do it, Fly it!