Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Screwing your Buddy in the classifieds

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: As Seller what would be your course of action?
Sell to First Bidder at asking price
85.05%
Sell to First Bidder at revised highest price
1.78%
Sell to Bidder with highest offer
12.46%
Relist or Revise item and delete all current bids
0.71%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Screwing your Buddy in the classifieds

Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This poll is stupid, if you want something so bad just go buy it at retail and stop wasting time and enjoy life.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

just go buy it at retail and stop wasting time and enjoy life.
The plane in question has been out of production for decades. It's unobtanium. Rara avis.

But should you happen upon one 'at retail' in the LHS, please forward the info to the OP.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM
krzy4rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted to take the original offer. Its basic business ethics and it does define who you are.

If I give you my word...done.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

if you have any honor at all you would sell to the first offer of your asking price. Shipping charges extra unless shipping is to be paid by seller. Now, if it's intended to sell for highest bid, outline that clearly in the description. I have lost an item or two that I met the asking price and was the first to make an offer. I feel like if the guy is going to back out for a couple more dollars anyway, maybe he's not being very honest about his item either.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

With all due respect to the OP...
I feel that the scenario as presented is a bit too complex and ornamented for an easy evaluation.

In my opinion, there is but one overriding principle here - do what you have agreed to do and stay within the rules of the venue.

Please consider the following:

The RCU classified format allows multiple offers to be made.
It shows how many offers have been made, and if the party that has made an offer wishes that offer to be public, the amount of the offer is shown too.
A seller is under NO obligation to sell to ANYONE, and he has no obligation to justify his decisions in that matter to anyone.
There is nothing in the RCU rules that states how long a seller has to respond, although there is information posted regarding his previous response times.

Where a problem arises is when a seller has AGREED TO A SALE, and then for whatever reason, refuses to complete the sale AS AGREED.
An offer, and the acceptance of the offer, is the basis of a contract. Only when the seller and buyer have agreed to the terms of a sale is there a contract. Anything else is a conversation.

A personal experience that happened to me awhile back here on RCU:
A new member here posted a kit for sale and I made him an offer (full price, if it matters to you). He phoned me, and while on the phone we worked out the specifics and he marked the item sold. A few minutes later he was contacted by another member who said he was SO disappointed that he hadn't seen it before it had been sold, and that he had been looking for this kit for years with the intention of duplicating it and producing kits. The seller then phoned me back telling me that he wanted the other member to have the kit, and that the other member would send me a reproduced copy of the kit as soon as they were in production. (Honest to god, I'm not making this up!) Well, I wasn't too pleased and I told the seller so. I told him I was shocked that another member would do such a thing, and how very much I was looking forward to receiving this kit. Now THAT'S bad behavior and interference - and by another member here who certainly knew better. With some reluctance, the the seller did honor his agreement to sell me the kit, but the purchase wasn't the pleasant experience for both of us that it otherwise would have been.

Last edited by Silvaire; 04-08-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

You guys actually pay asking price and more

so sad
Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Silvaire

Regarding the poll:

• Sell to First Bidder at asking price
  • Sell to First Bidder at revised highest price
  • Sell to Bidder with highest offer
  • Relist or Revise item and delete all current bids

Add one more option:
  • Sell to the member YOU want to sell it to, for whatever price you agree to.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been on both sides of this exact fence. I bought a Boomerang and I know the owner got a higher offer after our agreement and the seller honored my offer and sold it to me. I have listed a NIB turbine, got an offer 20 minutes after the listing, accepted the offer and continued to get higher offers after the fact through PM's. I sold it to the first offer. I was raised, a deal is a deal regardless of the outcome. And most importantly, KARMA is a real B*tch!!

What goes around comes around and he will get his in the long run.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Silvaire

Originally Posted by flejter1
I have been on both sides of this exact fence. I bought a Boomerang and I know the owner got a higher offer after our agreement and the seller honored my offer and sold it to me. I have listed a NIB turbine, got an offer 20 minutes after the listing, accepted the offer and continued to get higher offers after the fact through PM's. I sold it to the first offer. I was raised, a deal is a deal regardless of the outcome. And most importantly, KARMA is a real B*tch!!

What goes around comes around and he will get his in the long run.

I'll go you one better...
I offered MORE than the asking price (my offer was the first and only offer), and the seller sold me the item for the price he had offered it for.

Just do what you AGREE to do and all is good!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Kinda just like in the workforce; "There is always someone willing to do it cheaper (pay more money) than you."

Its just life.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

The classifieds is not an AUCTION!. If you want people to get into bidding wars over something you're selling post it on Ebay. I use RCU Classifieds because its more of a deal on a handshake and thats the way I feel I needs to stay/become more like. Like I said, if you want people to bid on something you're selling post it on Ebay.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Silvaire

I remember an ad posted here several years ago.

It was the first post by someone who was selling the collectable engines from his father's estate.

He had minimal knowledge about the value of collectable engines, and one of the engines was very scarce NIB early 4 stoke engine that he had priced at $100. (It was a Conley, I think, fair market value around $800.) He immediately received an offer for $100, then there were other offers made for much more. The first offerer then began posting demands in the seller's Q&A that he was first, that the seller should sell the engine to him now, and that he would pay for it immediately. Other members then posted in the seller's Q&A that he had no obligation to the person who posted first, and there were quite a number of heated comments posted after that.

For those of you who think that a seller is obligated (or honor bound) to accept the first full price offer made, what do you think would have been the fair thing for this seller to do when he unknowingly priced his engine at a small fraction of its fair market value?

Last edited by Silvaire; 04-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Once the seller accepted your offer by any means verbally or by message then you guys had a contract. However enforcing that contract is entirely another matter and is just another reason why we have heaps of lawyers and judges.

The bottom line is, you had a contract and he's not going to fullfill his obligations unless he's forced to, so I'd hazard a guess his morals are lacking if he needs a push from the courts which would be out of the question over such a small matter. It's a shame (but also a reality) that "a mans word is is bond" is meaning less and less these days.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If the seller excepts a buyer's offer for an item he is selling in the classifieds; then he should honor that moral contract between them, no matter how many other higher offers come in after the fact, the deal is already done, honor it, because money is certainly not everything, but a man's word is!

Now if you are not a man of your word then there are always other things that could be in store for you...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...64507335,d.b2I

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 04-09-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

So , if the agreed price was accepted and then the buyer said" never mind your price is too high" would we be condemning the "buyer" for originally accepting to pay the agreed price.

You know you all would.. that is why there is suppose to be an agreement. If you agree and then sell to someone else.. you lost your honor. You are no better than any politician that does the same.
and we all can see where that has gotten us.

I have sold things only to find I could have gotten more.. but that is my problem not the buyer. I asked an amount he accepted. That is the "deal". but I guess I am just one of those that still expects men to act like men . Something that is fading fast in this Scr#$% them over mentality that prevails now.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have been on both sides of this. If you want every penny, put it on EBAY from the start. Know what its worth BEFORE you list it here. If you list an item here, and accept an offer in any fashion, you need to honor that agreement. I know several people who would not honor their agreement, arguing its business....its really just being a scumb bag
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Well , it's nice to see that the score is 142 with morals VS 19 that I hope to never do business with .........
Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Of course almost all of us understands the fairness issue. Name your price, get an offer, act on the offer -- accept or reject.

Where it gets a bit complicated is that it's human nature to want as much for your item as you can get. I personally tend to put low prices on what I sell and sometimes regret not asking more, but if my terms are met, I accept the offer. I do have to say it's no more offensive to me for a guy to want as much as he can get for an item than the guy who offers 30% less than your asking price. Hobby dollars are important. Very few of us have unlimited money for radio control spending.

Keeping your word is the important issue. Human nature 'is what it is'.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen a few weeks ago. I agreed to sell an item for Xdollars, which was 125 less than my asking price. Then before I could get the item marked sold, I was offered $100 more than the accepted offer and he would cover shipping. Believe me, it was tempting, but i did not take the higher offer since I told the first guy yes. That being said, I have been the buyer and the guy tells me, paraphrased "wow, I priced this way too low. I have had X offers higher than yours, but you were first and we had a deal"...
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Well , it's nice to see that the score is 142 with morals VS 19 that I hope to never do business with .........
init4fun, true my friend...at issue here is the 142 members who are getting the screws put to them by the 19...currently with no way to stop it. Yet another example of the minority forcing their will.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 AM
BadSplice

I am really dissapointed to see the lack of any response from RCU here about their policies. Aside from the argument about what is the best way to deal with an offer, there is the issue of RCU's part in it.

They allow this crap by having the system set up the way it is. They allow more offers to come in, yet dont want to call themselves an auction site. If you open the door to greed, dont be surprised when it comes in. The poll should tell you how your members feel about this.... Listen to them.

Well RCU?

This site has sure slid far from the place I used to come to... not sure why I bother anymore.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Originally Posted by BadSplice
I am really dissapointed to see the lack of any response from RCU here about their policies. Aside from the argument about what is the best way to deal with an offer, there is the issue of RCU's part in it.

They allow this crap by having the system set up the way it is. They allow more offers to come in, yet dont want to call themselves an auction site. If you open the door to greed, dont be surprised when it comes in. The poll should tell you how your members feel about this.... Listen to them.

Well RCU?

This site has sure slid far from the place I used to come to... not sure why I bother anymore.
Hang on....the behavior that we are talking about is not RCU's....based on the Poll it is a minority of members...your buddy and mine. Remember the old adage "we have seen the enemy and it is us"....are we apathetic to the point where nothing changes and as a group we suffer at the will of a few? I am not sure this issue has been raised in the past so I'm not sure RCU or anyone else has had a chance to address it. On the contrary, RCU has done a superb job of not only providing a venue for people with like interests to share information about their passion...but also the classifieds where we can trade with one another. No system is perfect, but surely most if not all can be improved.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 AM
COVERTDC3

Here is a monkeywrench, (may already been mentioned, too little time to read every entry above) what if Johnny come lately is not an actual interested buyer but the seller's friend trying to drive the price up? Just a thought. And honestly, first accepted offer should be a done deal. I wouldn't buy from or deal with a seller who doesn't stand behind his word and original agreement.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Another factor to consider:

In rare, but significant cases, the seller should take into account the buyer's feedback from other sellers.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM
radiisteve
My Feedback: (24)

Very simply put, the person selling is a person of integrity or they are not. When we give someone our word, that's it for better or worse and that is integrity. if we go back on our word, then that is a lack of integrity and word will get around whether as a poor rating on RCU or lack of trust with our friends at the field.

For instance, I went to a flee market at a local field last weekend (told of the night before) not prepared as I would like and had stuffed the 'Burb with over half my loved items because times are tuff (aren't they for everyone) , and upon arriving was inundated by buyers (with people I didn't know) before getting unloaded, and was asked over and over to quote prices ( I started around 75% of my purchase price typically) and later someone came up to me on an items at my table asking for a price and when i said a price higher than before (I had forgotten in the melee) he said, "hey it was $150 before". Thinking that ok it sounded close to right I said "OK, if I said $150 then $150 it is", and we made the deal. I did better that I've ever done last weekend whether it was having my best stuff or how I made the deals with honesty (even at ave 77% pricing). In our sport as in life, how we treat each other comes back either good or bad, you get back what you give (sometimes).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.