Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Unused Transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unused Transmitters

I have over the years acquired six or eight transmitters that I will never use. They are all 72 Mhz transmitters and as far as I know all of them work. At least they power up. I haven't thoroughly checked oll of them for proper operation on all channels and switches, but the question is where to get rid of them. I will never used them and would be willing to donate them to anyone who can use them if they would pay shipping on them--any or all of them. Someone who is trying to help kids get in t he hobby or for any reason is trying to introduce folks to the hobby would be perfect. I would consider these entry level radios and would expect anyone who uses them would soon upgrade to better stuff, but just to get in the air with a trainer plane, they would work OK. As I mentioned, shipping these as a group would be very high and individually would add up to more, and I simply can't afford to ship them. Anyone have any idea of someone who would might need some entry level stuff? They are simply taking up space in a cabinet at this point.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to be aware of, be sure to remove the batteries while they are in storage, especially if NiCad's. Very often old NiCad's and/or dry cells will leak and corrode the units often to a point where they are difficult or impossible to reasonably repair. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using these and it will give a newcomer with limited funds a way to break into the hobby with some reliable gear if you pass them on to him/her; especially if you can give them some personal help or attention. Of course you need to alert them to the fact that they will most probably have to replace the batteries.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

List them on Ebay. Sell them without batteries so some goober won't ignore your warning that the old batteries aren't any good and then try to blame you for his lost plane. They'll probably bring $10 each plus a fair shipping cost.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had several good 72 mhz transmitters, all in good working order. I thought newbies would want them to get started. I couldn't give them away.

I doubt that there is much of a market for them, at any price.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Some time ago , I had read a post where people were taking the old "one stick does all" TXs and converting them over to modern 2.4 GHZ electronics so that folks who had lost the use of one hand could fly provided they could still use the other hand . That seems a great use for the one stick TXs , but like Tom said the common two stick 72 MHZ ones are getting hard to give away these days , much less sell . I will attempt to attach a photo of the one stick TX I refer to , it's the red "Ace RC" TX with the big plastic knob on the stick . It works like a regular stick for it's elevator and aileron functions and turning the knob side to side gives rudder function .
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I sold a 4 channel analog Futaba with no battery in it about a month ago on Ebay. I started it at a penny with $7 shipping. It sold for $10 and change and cost me $8 to ship it. So I got a net total of $9 for it. People still buy them to use as buddy boxes, and don't forget about all the cheap people out there who think they are saving money by buying junky old stuff.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:10 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Some time ago , I had read a post where people were taking the old "one stick does all" TXs and converting them over to modern 2.4 GHZ electronics so that folks who had lost the use of one hand could fly provided they could still use the other hand . That seems a great use for the one stick TXs , but like Tom said the common two stick 72 MHZ ones are getting hard to give away these days , much less sell . I will attempt to attach a photo of the one stick TX I refer to , it's the red "Ace RC" TX with the big plastic knob on the stick . It works like a regular stick for it's elevator and aileron functions and turning the knob side to side gives rudder function .
OMG.. that's an ACE SINGLE STICK Tx... personally I would NOT call your 'old' 72 Mhz tx's worthless.
I would have given you $50 for that single stick. (they used to be pretty common, and made 4 point rolls easy when I was a kid with hands too small to hold a standard transmitter.)
Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 AM
init4fun

Hi Jim , Oh believe me , I still do own the TXes shown in my photo and if I ever do decide to part with any of em you will be the first guy I'll talk to . I have a pretty representative collection of gear from RC's early days up till present , as a testament to just how long I've been messing with model planes . I don't run any of the old stuff anymore , just keep it to show folks what the older stuff looked like . I've got a few other photos of old time stuff like the 9 volt "transistor radio" battery before they put it on a diet and of course my good ol gas burning O&R 60 .

Happy Flying
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
AMA 74894

Hi Jim , Oh believe me , I still do own the TXes shown in my photo and if I ever do decide to part with any of em you will be the first guy I'll talk to . I have a pretty representative collection of gear from RC's early days up till present , as a testament to just how long I've been messing with model planes . I don't run any of the old stuff anymore , just keep it to show folks what the older stuff looked like . I've got a few other photos of old time stuff like the 9 volt "transistor radio" battery before they put it on a diet and of course my good ol gas burning O&R 60 .

Happy Flying
good, I'm no longer breathing into a paper bag
(I've got similar 'classic' (read OLD) stuff too! Heck, I've still got a couple of escapements lying around the shop ) that O&R is a work of art!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 AM
init4fun

Yea , some of the old stuff had such great looking style that it prompts me to keep em for display . Not that the modern stuff is ugly by any means , I especially like the look of the modern 4 stroke model plane engine as produced by OS and Saito cause they look just like little Harley Davidson cylinders !
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM
topspin

Happy Flying
I remember the big 9 volt batteries and even have a radio somewhere that used them. Heck I remember 45 volt and 90 volt B batteries, 22 volt C batteries, and 1.5 volt A batteries. I used A batteries to start my .049 Cox motors, those were fun.

I don't recall ever seeing the motor in your picture but Henry Ford was before my time.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 AM
WI53072

I have a Futaba 9CAP up for sale on Ebay right now. Evidently there is a niche market for PCM stuff nowadays. Why? I cant say. I believe the multi-rotor guys are buying them up, or so I have been told this anyway. As long as it sells, I don't care!

Paul
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by WI53072
I have a Futaba 9CAP up for sale on Ebay right now. Evidently there is a niche market for PCM stuff nowadays. Why? I cant say. I believe the multi-rotor guys are buying them up, or so I have been told this anyway. As long as it sells, I don't care!

Paul
A lot of the FPV video gear is on 2.4Ghz, so flying on 72Mhz PCM is a good way to get a reliable link on a frequency that doesn't catch interference from the video gear.

The Futaba 9C is an example of an older radio model whose value has held up because of a good feature set and inherent quality. Since the RF deck is modular on the 9C, it's also easily converted to 2.4Ghz. Quality and flexibility are good things.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with 72mhz on PCM however there is a lot to be desired using non PCM. For those who don't know flying on 72mhz is still legal and the advent of 2.4kz was nothing more than a cost saving venture of the electronic model industry.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:25 AM
[email protected]

jolly popper i have a friend who would like to have your old radios he has a boy scout club and i have given him planes and engines befor what would the cost be to get them shipped to california>> he lives in las vegas and i see him once a month my email is > [email protected] thank you allen
Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
jolly popper i have a friend who would like to have your old radios he has a boy scout club and i have given him planes and engines befor what would the cost be to get them shipped to california>> he lives in las vegas and i see him once a month my email is > [email protected] thank you allen
I just spent last week clearing out the RC estate of Minnflyers (Mike Buzzeo) along with his brother Jim (AMA 74894 above) and we came up with a handful of 72 mhz radios/receivers. Jim and were pretty sure that we weren't going to be able to do anything with them. If you want to cover the shipping cost I would be more than willing to box them up and ship them their boy scout group. At this time I don't know how many radio/receiver pairs we have yet so I know how many I will be able to ship, but I do know that I have a bunch of my own airtronics 72 Mhz radios that I will be more than happy to throw in there as well. They may have to replace batteries in the transmitters.

Let me know if they are interested.

Ken
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM
jameighan

Contact the Radio Control Hall of Fame and donate your vintage American made stuff to them. http://rchalloffame.org/index.html They will pay the postage and this stuff will be on line or at the muesum forever for every one to view. They just want American made R/C hardware.

I have homemade R/C hardware there now and it beats tossing them in the garbage.

Jim Meighan
Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM
WI53072

Originally Posted by bigedmustafa
A lot of the FPV video gear is on 2.4Ghz, so flying on 72Mhz PCM is a good way to get a reliable link on a frequency that doesn't catch interference from the video gear.

The Futaba 9C is an example of an older radio model whose value has held up because of a good feature set and inherent quality. Since the RF deck is modular on the 9C, it's also easily converted to 2.4Ghz. Quality and flexibility are good things.
Thanks Mustafa,

I will let it go on EBAY's auction and see how much it will garner. It is absolutely new in the box, never been used. It has everything save one $20 servo!! I bought this radio system and then was out of the hobby for about 5-6 years. When I came back to the hobby, I attended a fun fly and drew the winning raffle ticket for a brand new Spektrum DX7!! So, I never used the 9CAP. I was about to give it away when I found out they still had an appreciable value associated with them.

Paul
Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the latest Hobby King offerings, $30.00 will buy you a 2.4 ghz 6 channel transmitter & receiver. Hard to sell or even give away an old 72mhz radio when a new 2.4ghz radio is so cheap.

Last edited by 049flyer; 04-14-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM
WI53072

Like I said 049, it is a niche market and Mustafa explained why. I wonder, do they even make PCM radio gear anymore? That sort of leaves the FPV people out in the cold because the video is operating on 2.4

Paul
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higher end 72 MHz computer radios, like the 9CAP sell for a good amount. They are sought after by some. Non-computer radios and low-end computer radios have little or no value unless they are old enough to be antiques. I don't think PCM is what makes radios valuable. I think it just happens that higher-end radios include PCM. As far as I know, PCM fell out of favor years ago. PCM's supposed advantages turned out not to be.

Last edited by JPMacG; 04-14-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

RCKen, I can check with my local club here in my town to see if they can use a radio or two, once to twice a year we have a group of boy scouts come to our field to try their hand at model rocketry and as their treat we set them up on buddy boxes. If you have a transmitters and receivers for two planes and two more I believe four channel transmitters that can be used as the buddy boxes I think that will come in pretty handy.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
golf4two

If making a very few $ off of eBay sounds like too much trouble you may be able to serve a worthy cause by donating to:
- Wounded warriors programs (contact nearest military installation.
- Boy Scouts
- Local High School JROTC program(s) or High School Engineering (robotics) programs
- GoodWill (and get a tax deduction for them)
- or, as others have mentioned, your local club to be used for training programs.

Last edited by golf4two; 04-14-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I converted my Ace Micropro 72mhz radio to 2.4ghz with the FrSky DIY module which I purchased for $20.00 along with a 6 channel RX for another $20.00. The best way to keep the higher end old radios viable in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
twistman
My Feedback: (42)

You can put an AnyLink from Tower Hobbies on old 72 radios and they work great for micros and trainers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.