Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Type of Glue/eposy for wood and stainless steel

Alright, I am SO SORRY if I posted this in the incorrect place I'm new to this site. I've been trying to research on this but I'd rather get opinion from people who work with stuff like this. Alright, so I am making something that involved a wooden dowel (1/2'' and sometimes 5/8'' outer Diameter) and I am placing it in tubing. When readily placed, I drill a hole through the tubing and need to places a piece of stainless steel wire rope (1/8'' diameter) about 6 inches tall inside. The wire will have some kevlar frabric at the opposite end with two t-nuts and some JB weld but I need to A) guarantee that the rope doesn't come out even with the tiny bit of weight at the end and B) can withhold temperature of fire.

I hope that makes sense... any questions, go ahead and ask me. i might not have been clear

I'm looking for somethign that can bond wood and stainless steel and withstand flames.

Thanks,
    this girl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Epoxy won't be your answer.
    It softens with heat. That is how we disassemble parts.

Good Luck,
    KW_Counter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The wood will not resist fire, let alone the epoxy.

I would use heavier wall stainless steel and weld it
    Dick Pettit
    WACO Brotherhood #168
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #41

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops, please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I agree... epoxy won't work due to the heat, but neither will a wooden dowel.
    any reason you can't use two pieces of aluminum tubing (with one fitting inside the other) instead of a wooden dowel and tubing?
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do...
    Jim Buzzeo AMA 74894
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #37
    Sig Brotherhood #95

Quote Originally Posted by pettit View Post
    The wood will not resist fire, let alone the epoxy.

I would use heavier wall stainless steel and weld it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture-156.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1994757

This is what it sorta looks like. The tubing and the dowel are fine. I've made prior ones and have bought prior ones and I love to make and design them. I know an adhesive is used...I just am not sure which one. The flame doesn't constantly touch the tubing.I just don't want the metal wire coming out from the inside of the tubing and dowel. The wire gets a little warm but nothing too hot. I've touched it after lighting it and its ok. Even the big marshmallow looking thing at the end isn't that hot. It stays lit for about 3-6 min at a time if that helps any. I was using two part epoxy from gorilla glue but was having issues with 1 wire coming out of a few different ones. Doesn't really make sense. I even made one to specifically destroy it and it still did not fall out. I was just hoping to find something with industrial strength to try. My guess was I was rushing on them and messed up somewhere so #1, Im going to start taking my time #2, I want an industrial adhesive. I've tested JB weld and it worked well but not on more than one item. How do you think that would work?

Quote Originally Posted by AMA 74894 View Post
    I agree... epoxy won't work due to the heat, but neither will a wooden dowel.
    any reason you can't use two pieces of aluminum tubing (with one fitting inside the other) instead of a wooden dowel and tubing?
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do...
    I posted below what it looks like. I hope that helps. I am a fire dancer and dance with flaming hulas! I want to make my own and start designing new ones but have had a few bad apples

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Check out this place...
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/
    They should have something that would work...check out their line of adhesives...

You might ask them if they have a sample kit available?
    < Wrongway Feldman's Kreider-Reisner KR-21...(on Gilligan's Island)