Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Type of Glue/eposy for wood and stainless steel

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Type of Glue/eposy for wood and stainless steel

Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 AM
sayanything

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of Glue/eposy for wood and stainless steel

Alright, I am SO SORRY if I posted this in the incorrect place I'm new to this site. I've been trying to research on this but I'd rather get opinion from people who work with stuff like this. Alright, so I am making something that involved a wooden dowel (1/2'' and sometimes 5/8'' outer Diameter) and I am placing it in tubing. When readily placed, I drill a hole through the tubing and need to places a piece of stainless steel wire rope (1/8'' diameter) about 6 inches tall inside. The wire will have some kevlar frabric at the opposite end with two t-nuts and some JB weld but I need to A) guarantee that the rope doesn't come out even with the tiny bit of weight at the end and B) can withhold temperature of fire.

I hope that makes sense... any questions, go ahead and ask me. i might not have been clear

I'm looking for somethign that can bond wood and stainless steel and withstand flames.

Thanks,
this girl
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 AM
KW_Counter

Epoxy won't be your answer.
It softens with heat. That is how we disassemble parts.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 05-12-2014, 05:29 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wood will not resist fire, let alone the epoxy.

I would use heavier wall stainless steel and weld it
Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree... epoxy won't work due to the heat, but neither will a wooden dowel.
any reason you can't use two pieces of aluminum tubing (with one fitting inside the other) instead of a wooden dowel and tubing?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do...
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 AM
sayanything

Originally Posted by pettit
The wood will not resist fire, let alone the epoxy.

I would use heavier wall stainless steel and weld it

This is what it sorta looks like. The tubing and the dowel are fine. I've made prior ones and have bought prior ones and I love to make and design them. I know an adhesive is used...I just am not sure which one. The flame doesn't constantly touch the tubing.I just don't want the metal wire coming out from the inside of the tubing and dowel. The wire gets a little warm but nothing too hot. I've touched it after lighting it and its ok. Even the big marshmallow looking thing at the end isn't that hot. It stays lit for about 3-6 min at a time if that helps any. I was using two part epoxy from gorilla glue but was having issues with 1 wire coming out of a few different ones. Doesn't really make sense. I even made one to specifically destroy it and it still did not fall out. I was just hoping to find something with industrial strength to try. My guess was I was rushing on them and messed up somewhere so #1, Im going to start taking my time #2, I want an industrial adhesive. I've tested JB weld and it worked well but not on more than one item. How do you think that would work?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture-156.png
Views:	220
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1994757  
Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM
sayanything

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
I agree... epoxy won't work due to the heat, but neither will a wooden dowel.
any reason you can't use two pieces of aluminum tubing (with one fitting inside the other) instead of a wooden dowel and tubing?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do...
I posted below what it looks like. I hope that helps. I am a fire dancer and dance with flaming hulas! I want to make my own and start designing new ones but have had a few bad apples
Old 05-12-2014, 04:53 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this place...
http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/
They should have something that would work...check out their line of adhesives...

You might ask them if they have a sample kit available?