Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking for r/c trucks and planes for a children's grief camp.

Dear sir,
    My name is Shane Mudge I have been a grief counselor for children for last 25 years at a grief camp that is part of Campfire Boys And Girls. For several years I taught r/c planes and have had a hobby shop donate planes and gliders for the 1 week camp but shop has closed. I am looking for electric gliders or planes or even r/c trucks to provide exposure to the r/c world. Campfire is a non-profit organization and I work get donations for camp every year to allow these kids 6-15 to have a exciting week every year and ease the grief of losing one or both parents. Again if you can help great if not I understand but I thought I would ask. I am trying to get stuff before camp starts july 26th. I have attached a short video which talks about our camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnbfz...e_gdata_player

Thank you
    Shane Mudge
    3415 west fm 5
    Aledo, Texas 76008

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Shane Mudge, right? Awesome. I'll try to see if I can get some donations from Venom or a group I know of. Or, why not mail the products straight to the camp, too? Just to make sure it isn't a scam.
    Last edited by collector1231; 06-12-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Quote Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    Dear sir,
    My name is Shane Mudge I have been a grief counselor for children for last 25 years at a grief camp that is part of Campfire Boys And Girls. For several years I taught r/c planes and have had a hobby shop donate planes and gliders for the 1 week camp but shop has closed. I am looking for electric gliders or planes or even r/c trucks to provide exposure to the r/c world. Campfire is a non-profit organization and I work get donations for camp every year to allow these kids 6-15 to have a exciting week every year and ease the grief of losing one or both parents. Again if you can help great if not I understand but I thought I would ask. I am trying to get stuff before camp starts july 26th. I have attached a short video which talks about our camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnbfz...e_gdata_player

Thank you
    Shane Mudge
    3415 west fm 5
    Aledo, Texas 76008
    Hello Shane Mudge ,

I'm not sure if you noticed , but your name doesn't appear to be listed as a counselor on the link to the camp fire association that Mr. Tom Crump has posted . This , as well as your account here being created back in 2004 with this now being your only post , looks highly suspicious of your request being a scam . Thing is , if a well respected and well known forum contributor , such as Mr. Crump , for example , were to ask for donations , well you darned right well know the donations would be many due to folk's respect for Mr. Crump .... You ? Nobody knows who you are , your first post here is to ask for something for free , and we see these type of posts all too frequently , complete with the kinds of red flags such as claiming to work for an organization that doesn't have you listed as an employee . If you ARE for real , please provide proper credentials and please understand our skepticism as we see scammers with sad stories regularly .
    Last edited by init4fun; 06-13-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Darned typos ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I sent an email to the organization. I'll advise when I hear back from them as to the legitimacy of the OP's request and employment/relationship with said organization.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Same here QwkSport.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Totally understand. I have been volunteering for last 25 years. Long ago I taught rc planes to kids and we would build and fly. Over last 6-8 years we have not been flying or have anything RC . I have been wanting to bring it back and never thought about posting on here. As for if I am a scam if you watch video that is me several times in video and you are correct I am not on that web site because I am not a licensed grief therapist and only a volunteer grief counselor. I have a job and I have taken vacation for last 24 years for this one week and this will be my 25th year and thought I would bring R/C back. First Texas Council of Campfire Boys and Girls All know me well and I am always trying to get donations for camp to help provide these kids with something that can get their mind off the loss if their loved one. Hope this helps and I understand with this day and age there are a lot of scammers but I am not, just a old r/c flyer that works with kids and wants to share the hobby.
    Last edited by smudge1; 06-13-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thankyou. Also forgot Campfire's # 817-831-2111

the address for camp is:
    camp el tesoro
    7710 fall creek hwy
    granbury, Tx 76049

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by smudge1; 06-13-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You would be better off approaching names such as Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by flycatch View Post
    You would be better off approaching names such as Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobbies.
    Exactly !

And here's why ;

To attempt to run any kinds of RC program that will interest rather than frustrate the clients , you will need new reliable equipment and not the used donations of guys who usually keep their equipment "till it's flown it's last mile" . All of the "bigs" in the hobby ( Horizon and Hobbico for starters ) sponsor such programs each and every year . If your truly serious anout adding RC to your camp I'd have the camp's administrators approach the bigs with a well laid out plan for an RC program and take it from there .

PS , Great thing , introducing them to RC and the mechanical world in general . Far too much of today's entertainment seems centered on a TV screen of one sort or another ....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hey thank you. I have tried with several companies not much luck. Over the years I used a lot of my equipment And had a local hobby shop donate things but they have since closed. I am not asking for a lot just a few gliders or planes. I just thought maybe here on rc universe that maybe some members had some new or gently used equipment that they could donate. They will receive a tax donation receipt for donation. As far as rx trucks I thought maybe we could set up a track for they to drive around while waiting to fly.. Thank you for advice and I will keep trying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Okay, the camp is real. I got a message back. I'll see if I can get Venom/Atomik to donate something.
    "Thank you for checking.

Shane Mudge is a long-time volunteer (21 years) with our grief camp program, Camp Fire El Tesoro de la Vida. We have about 60 volunteers for that program so we don't list them all.

Any donation that he obtains will be acknowledged with a tax-receipt from Camp Fire."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow thank you. This is my 25th year with grief camp but 21st with campfire that is when the adopted us as a program.. Thank you for checking and I totally understand for the check. Like I have said I will assist anyway I can help please let me know. Thank you, Shane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    COME ON GUYS....Get your head out of your ### and try to see the good that can come out of this. Mr. Smudge, I don't know you but I admire what you and your peers are doing. I have 2 T MAX rc trucks. They are both nitro and just sitting around. They are yours to do as you please with them. Where can I ship them to. ?

Let's band together here and do something good. There are so many kids at risk out there and we have a guy here who is doing the right thing.

I CHALLENGE ALL OF YOU TO DIG DEEP INTO YOUR KIND SIDE AND DONATE TO THIS CAUSE.

The trucks I'm shipping could use some fuel. Maybe somebody could be kind enough to purchase a gallon or 2 through Tower Hobbies and ship it direct to the camp.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This web forum is inundated with scammers all the time. A user who joined in '04 and just recently made their first post asking for goods to be donated to a cause. Not something many people are willing to delve into with open arms easily.

I received the same message from the organization that Collector1231 received. My email came from Sara Mitchell.

Shane - I hope you understand we are/were protecting ourselves and other members. I've been ripped off as many other members have and it really sucks getting ripped off of something that lost half it's value the moment it came out of the box let alone getting a complaint filed by a buyer through PayPal and losing ALL of the agreed price because of their mediation regulations.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Totally understand and I have also been taken. I am a honest man and all I can do is give you my word and you have already checked with Campfire. I will tell you this you will know where your donation goes and after camp I will post pictures. I have always done that with donors with other items. I know what an impact this camp makes on kids and what an impact it has made on me. I have always tried to pay it forward and hope that I could give back and I will do this camp for as long as I can move. I just want any and everyone that donates something this will not be the last you here of your donation it will be a relationship of sharing what impact you made. Thanks. Shane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'll look in my pile of stuff and see if there is anything I can donate. Thanks for your understanding and for doing the work you do. Kudos.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Is there any hobby stores close to the camp a guy could order stuff from and have it picked up?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There is Hobbytown in ft worth. I have tried to talk to owner but he owns several stores and lives in Dallas. But the Ft worth store is not far from Campfire office. I looked up there contact online and here is there number#. (817) 735-0021.

Thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok, thank you! Someone said they where sending rc cars, I know they will need fuel, what is needed to get them up and running?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thank you just let me know if I need to get someone to pick up. Not sure what they will need but fuel for sure. Thank you Shane .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    JT's Hobby in Fort Worth does some sponsorship for events, and might be able to help a bit. Roy's hobby in Hurst may pitch in also. It's just been sold to a new owner, so if you've ever dealt with them before understand it's all new now. I live near you in Lake Worth and could see possibly loaning the use of my monster truck and charger to the camp for the week. I'm also wondering if any of the local clubs would be willing to work with the kids. I'm in the FW Thunderbirds and many of our instructors own trainer planes that they use for teaching new members. Perhaps one or two clubs would be willing to host the kids for an RC day at their fields or either come to your facility (assuming it's suitable for RC flying per the AMA safety code) with planes and fuel for the kids? I'm going to PM you my contact info so if either of those options sound doable to you I can get the idea on the agenda at the July club meeting.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If I had something to donate that isn't utter crap, I would. I have nothing you guys would want. Sorry!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I did reach out to TJ's and roys. Have not heard anything. Thank you for ideas.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What is your facility like? How much runway area does the camp have, and how much space is there to fly over without any trees, people, or buildings? Would it be feasible to travel to a club field for an RC day?
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast