Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby King, deceptive shipping fees and erroneous advertising.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby King, deceptive shipping fees and erroneous advertising.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby King, deceptive shipping fees and erroneous advertising.

I am appalled that no one seems to notice, or care, that Hobby King is playing a very shady money game on unsuspecting hobbyists. It is no doubt true that Hobby King posts some of the most attractive pricing on many popular hobby items.....however, when shipping prices are a consideration...and they usually are when your item has to come to you all the way from China, you should pay much closer attention. Hobby King now advertises a USA warehouse where many of their products...but not all....are made available to the US market, at reasonable US based shipping charges. That being said....I have several times...attempted to purchase items from the USA warehouse, only to see shipping costs that far exceed the cost of the item. For example. Hobby King shows an "Orange" brand aluminum transmitter case for $13. xx. in stock at the USA warehouse. When I committed to buy one, I was faced with shipping fees approximating $30. US. The two shipping modes were for international rates....and yes...I double checked and I was indeed in the USA warehouse web site. Attempting to get assistance via an online chat with a Hobby King person, I was met with more frustration. That person was adamant about it not being available in the US warehouse. I forwarded the web site link that I was looking at to him/her, and was again met with a stonewall statement....that it is not available in the US warehouse. I am now quite convinced that such is true....but why then is it continuing to show as in stock and available for shipment from the USA warehouse.
There is my frustration. In my own experiences, this has happened quite a number of times with Hobby King.....and in spite of my bringing these issues to their attention...they apparently make no attempt to correct these errors.
Doen't anyone else see this?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by Capt Jim
I am appalled that no one seems to notice, or care, that Hobby King is playing a very shady money game on unsuspecting hobbyists. It is no doubt true that Hobby King posts some of the most attractive pricing on many popular hobby items.....however, when shipping prices are a consideration...and they usually are when your item has to come to you all the way from China, you should pay much closer attention. Hobby King now advertises a USA warehouse where many of their products...but not all....are made available to the US market, at reasonable US based shipping charges. That being said....I have several times...attempted to purchase items from the USA warehouse, only to see shipping costs that far exceed the cost of the item. For example. Hobby King shows an "Orange" brand aluminum transmitter case for $13. xx. in stock at the USA warehouse. When I committed to buy one, I was faced with shipping fees approximating $30. US. The two shipping modes were for international rates....and yes...I double checked and I was indeed in the USA warehouse web site. Attempting to get assistance via an online chat with a Hobby King person, I was met with more frustration. That person was adamant about it not being available in the US warehouse. I forwarded the web site link that I was looking at to him/her, and was again met with a stonewall statement....that it is not available in the US warehouse. I am now quite convinced that such is true....but why then is it continuing to show as in stock and available for shipment from the USA warehouse.
There is my frustration. In my own experiences, this has happened quite a number of times with Hobby King.....and in spite of my bringing these issues to their attention...they apparently make no attempt to correct these errors.
Doen't anyone else see this?
You are right Capt Jim, it's called defective or deceptive pricing and what they are doing is charging the customer the import duty fees they should have already paid. Reputable dealers don't do this and yet, people continue to buy from this deceptive organization. I have to wonder how much longer before people begin to realize they are being scammed.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:44 AM
KW_Counter

WAH, WAH, WAH
Don't like their business model, don't do business with them.
Those of us who do, will continue to.

KW_Counter
Old 06-21-2014, 12:00 PM
308jockey

I ordered an EF1 power system from them this year. Admittedly cost was a factor and I hope that the quality is decent as I haven't yet flown it. I made the order online and the website would not allow me to order 2 of the same EF1 legal motors. I had to place a second order and pay a second shipping charge. Well ok I guess, first order with them and maybe I just did something wrong. Both orders appeared immediately on my card and the single motor showed up in about 10 days. Where I have a problem and I think any reasoable person would, is waiting 75 days after paying for items listed as in stock. That's how long it took them to get me the second motor, esc and 2 batteries. That's inexcusable.

Rick H.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:39 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just my 2-cents here - I've seen a lot of threads here and RC Groups that have nothing but bad to say about Hobby King, and others. Simple, send your order history, documentation, etc to Interstate Commerce Commission, and Better Business Bureau. Enough of these kinds of communications to them will eventually get results, one way or another.

The other thing, you see one bad thread after another, don't buy from these companies that screw their customers.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier

The other thing, you see one bad thread after another, don't buy from these companies that screw their customers.
That makes too much sense. LOL In the end, cheap wins out over common sense. There will always be a sucker willing to take the risk. HK counts on it.

Last edited by TomCrump; 06-23-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had good luck - only three orders - but have been careful to specify the US warehouse after the first order. First order was from China and was a good price and what I wanted, but took four weeks to arrive. But as I recall the shipping was pretty reasonable for the distance - via container ship.