Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://nypost.com/2014/07/07/two-dro...pter-over-gwb/

"it's just a toy" what a idiot.

Mike
Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
http://nypost.com/2014/07/07/two-dro...pter-over-gwb/

"it's just a toy" what a idiot.

Mike
...and THAT my friends, is the problem....

It's just their latest toy, like a new BluRay player, or smart phone, etc. They have no regard for the consequences of flying their craft into active flight paths, crowded streets or anywhere else, and they are not the only problem. Much of it starts with the manufacturers, who market them as playthings, with no warnings or cautions as to the dangers of mis-using them. Look in any plane or heli kit, ARF, etc and you find a page full of warnings about what/when/where not to fly, then go look at the manuals for any of the multis and you will find virtually nothing. The manufacturers need to step up their game and if they won't, then the parties selling them need to, otherwise the gov't will.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then it's back to the original question.Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?

whether it be intentional or not.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

absolutely unequivocally unconditionally no.

To try to blame a group of people following rules, for those that don't, is preposterous. And to ask if it is intentional is equally specious.

If one has to asses blame, it belongs with those conducting themselves irresponsibly, nowhere else.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
Then it's back to the original question.Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?

whether it be intentional or not.
I would say they might be .002% to blame, for those few that have gotten the cold shoulder at a club or the experienced bad side of an old curmudgeon. The other 99.998% of the blame lies simply with the stupidity of the general public at large. The Youtube videos, while spectacular, illustrate just how irresponsible and stupid some people can be with their flying "toys".

It used to be if you were completely clueless, your plane or heli never made it past it's first flight, now you can practically circumnavigate the globe...
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
I would say they might be .002% to blame, for those few that have gotten the cold shoulder at a club or the experienced bad side of an old curmudgeon. The other 99.998% of the blame lies simply with the stupidity of the general public at large. The Youtube videos, while spectacular, illustrate just how irresponsible and stupid some people can be with their flying "toys".

It used to be if you were completely clueless, your plane or heli never made it past it's first flight, now you can practically circumnavigate the globe...
I agree 100%. Once again some try and blame everyone but the ones responsible for the problem. .
Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 PM
fliers1

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/10_01/leader.htm

The author might differ with you on this. Guess you would have to take it up with him.

" Yet at the grass roots level, where the newbie meets the member, it didn’t happen very well; seemingly no interest in the growth of the membership by the average modeler or club."
Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 PM
rcmiket

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/10_01/leader.htm

The author might differ with you on this. Guess you would have to take it up with him.

" Yet at the grass roots level, where the newbie meets the member, it didn’t happen very well; seemingly no interest in the growth of the membership by the average modeler or club."
I see no relevance to the topic at hand. This is about rogue flyers not guys run off by clubs. If you have hard numbers or actual incidences please post them.
Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-09-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:41 PM
fliers1

Like I said, take it up with Mr. Rice. Chances are he might have hard numbers or actual incidences from the 2600 AMA clubs. Could be the guys run off by clubs couldn't get help to learn how to fly RC planes so they bought easy to fly quadcopters or foamies. Seems like that was the point of the original post. Safety in numbers.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:56 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I don't see the connection. Highly doubtful anyone would have numbers to put behind anything. And these folks don't normally look for safety in numbers, in face i've never seen more than one person involved in all those videos that are posted, the pilot! At best maybe a friend there, but I've never seen a group of them together in a video. I'd have a hard time thinking they got the cold shoulder at the club, then bought a quad. While technology has come a long way, they are not the easiest thing in the world to fly.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 AM
rcmiket

Like I said, take it up with Mr. Rice. Chances are he might have hard numbers or actual incidences from the 2600 AMA clubs. Could be the guys run off by clubs couldn't get help to learn how to fly RC planes so they bought easy to fly quadcopters or foamies. Seems like that was the point of the original post. Safety in numbers.
Why take it up with Rice your the one posting the AMA links? Not one person from the AMA has posted a thing here. I have yet to see any numbers from the AMA as far as actual members who fly these either. Who have posted here are people on the front lines ( club and AMA members) who see this as a rouge operator problem. I think we all agree that it's going to impact all of us down the road. I sure don't have a solution to the rouge operator do you?
As far as the OP seems like the consensus here is no we didn't bring on ourselves.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-10-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
abelard

there's a HUGE rouge element out there
And that's not counting the eyeliner...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

That is the first time I saw that particular video. Logically speaking, I would think the modeler who seeks to be under the risk mitigating umbrella of the AMA to be a poor candidate for the risky behavior we see on public internet postings. Any modeler that takes the time and expense to fly from a designated flying site and abide by the rules has a different mindset than the FPVers posting new content on Utube and that is supported by those apprehended by LE. The OPs premise that some AMA members at the field ran off the new guys with new technology and they were then forced to act irresponsible and do things (such as the video) is without warrant. Another question is what is irresponsible? Is the risk of injury any less when the operator pays a fee (commercial) or is a government agent? Additionally if our government disregards the Due Process Clause of the Constitution by utilizing a drone as a weapons delivery system on a citizen is that also irresponsible? You might also question as to who are these drone operators...they may not even be citizens. We are a nation of laws that need to be followed..not just the convenient ones.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:22 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by abelard
And that's not counting the eyeliner...
Thanks for the correction.

Mike
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

My opinion is this: I think all drone pilots for hire should be required to hold a FAA license as do all other forms of pilots for hire. I think all manufacturers of these commercial drones (those used for hire and for commercial purposes) should be treated like every other aircraft manufacturers. I know here in Oklahoma we have had an explosion of home grown drone manufacturers and wannabes, many will little or no experience just wanting to jump on the wagon to hopefully make a fast buck in an unregulated area. I think commercial drones and those equipped with live video feeds be required to have an airworthiness certificate, and be required to have regular maintenance/inspection checks from licensed A&Ps trained on this type of equipment. Will this affect the hobbyist? Will we have to curtail activity certain areas? You bet it will! But we all ready do have restrictions from the AMA in the areas of waivers for turbine driven aircraft and in overall aircraft size limits. Regardless of what those restrictions may be it still beats losing the hobby completely.

And the fall out won't be pretty either. We may lose some discount hobby suppliers and some mail order companies if cheap RTF equipment is curtailed in some areas. I know some local hobby shops have been saved by demand of for cheap RTF equipment bring new business in the door. All we can do is support the AMA and our local clubs and try to work to educate our local. state, and federal officials in what and how the responsible hobbyist conduct themselves.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 AM
rcmiket

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man-faces...057392569.html

“I truly realize that I should have asked first but did not think it would be an issue….only to discover that it sure is…”

Here's another idiot. I'm sure he went to his local club first and was run off.

Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-18-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:28 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man-faces...057392569.html

“I truly realize that I should have asked first but did not think it would be an issue….only to discover that it sure is…”

Here's another idiot. I'm sure he went to his local club first and was run off.

Mike.
Sadly, the only limit to this kind of STUPID is the depth of the bank account.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Maybe a nice long vacation to the pen will wise him up or at least discourage a few more of the mental challenged?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 PM
clrwtrdave

Just got back into the hobby after 4 years off. Got tired of the propeganda at our local field. Started flying quad-copters, they are not drones, about 6 months ago. Never FVP, not at night and never over 400 feet or around crowds. Just informed today that my local club is banning them due to recent FAA rulings. I hope they realize this just forces us to fly at parks, empty parking lots with permission and stuff like that. No notice today till i hauled the stuff out of my truck and got the news. Just for information, it was SPARKS field in St. PETS FLORIDA. Been a member and on the board for a few years till my hiatus. Looks like we as quad flyers will have to open our own place.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clrwtrdave
Just got back into the hobby after 4 years off. Got tired of the propeganda at our local field. Started flying quad-copters, they are not drones, about 6 months ago. Never FVP, not at night and never over 400 feet or around crowds. Just informed today that my local club is banning them due to recent FAA rulings. I hope they realize this just forces us to fly at parks, empty parking lots with permission and stuff like that. No notice today till i hauled the stuff out of my truck and got the news. Just for information, it was SPARKS field in St. PETS FLORIDA. Been a member and on the board for a few years till my hiatus. Looks like we as quad flyers will have to open our own place.
Did they put that to the membership for a vote? The FAA has not banned quad copters so IMO there is nothing to be gained by the club doing so.

Last edited by ira d; 07-18-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:00 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

There seems to be a lot of those that "RUN THE CLUB types that like to ban things they don't do. Ever notice how things change when one of the "IN CROWD" decides they like something.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
There seems to be a lot of those that "RUN THE CLUB types that like to ban things they don't do. Ever notice how things change when one of the "IN CROWD" decides they like something.
Run for office and change things. It's not to hard most club officers ( including me and our board of directors) I've met only do the job because no one else will. From what I've seen the "run the club types" are a dying breed and no longer the norm.

Mike
Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 AM
rcmiket

Were you at the meeting when there was vote on this?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-19-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

That is Jerry, the Prez for you! He has chased off all big planes, jets and now quads. It is still a hostile environment to fly. He does need to go, but no one will step to the plate. He is one of the reasons I drive to Area 52 and 110 miles one way to fly my turbines. Jerry just wants it to be a foamy and heli field, and if he could get rid of the helis, I think he would too.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
That is Jerry, the Prez for you! He has chased off all big planes, jets and now quads. It is still a hostile environment to fly. He does need to go, but no one will step to the plate. He is one of the reasons I drive to Area 52 and 110 miles one way to fly my turbines. Jerry just wants it to be a foamy and heli field, and if he could get rid of the helis, I think he would too.
I'm curious , why do the members put up with it?

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.