Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm curious , why do the members put up with it?

Mike
The airspace and facilities are very small. The field is located 2.2 nautical miles from the center of St. Pete/Clearwater Controlled airport. So, technically, the field is in controlled airspace from the ground up. He enforces the 400 foot altitude, even though the Control Tower Management, and Airport Manager know we are there. He is afraid of loosing the field under his watch. There is a LOT of Club distention at the field. The main reason, He has been Prez for at least the past 5 years do to default that no one else wants the job. And it is a job!!! No one else will step forward. I won't.......been on the BOD, but there was so much arguing I quit. So, been there done that, and have been Officers in other Clubs. Ruined my hobby.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 07-19-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:05 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run for office and change things. It's not to hard most club officers ( including me and our board of directors) I've met only do the job because no one else will. From what I've seen the "run the club types" are a dying breed and no longer the norm.

Mike
MikeY Mikey Mikey U can't change city hall. They run the club. For instance had 2 crashes behind the pits in 2 days not a word was said. Why don't want to hurt the guys feelings. Both are what our club news letter editor calls a probable "KODAK MOMENT" when these guys get up to fly. Who cares about safety ????????
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
MikeY Mikey Mikey U can't change city hall. They run the club. For instance had 2 crashes behind the pits in 2 days not a word was said. Why don't want to hurt the guys feelings. Both are what our club news letter editor calls a probable "KODAK MOMENT" when these guys get up to fly. Who cares about safety ????????
Maybe your club but not ours. So even your safety officer turns a blind eye? I'm sure glad I'm not around that mess.

Mike
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Maybe your club but not ours. So even your safety officer turns a blind eye? I'm sure glad I'm not around that mess.

Mike
Clubs, Charters, By-Laws, and Officers do *NOT* a "safe site" make....it's just a miracle there aren't more incidents than there are at many clubs' sites.
Worse yet, the real morons are the ones operating way outside of any organized efforts, with little to no training or knowledge....the "Rogue Brigades" of unsafe operators of anything RC who are too stupid and self-absorbed to even care about their selfish disregard's impacts on the "community". Very, Very sad....
Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM
bufordbob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen,
Regardless of your feelings for FPV or anything like it, The FAA(alias big bro ) is coming down on us, big government breeds bigger government. I submit to ALL AMA members to call the Ama as I did and tell them not to fragment their 165,000 membership with silly paragraph by paragraph letter writing suggestions. We need our numbers to be together and try to inundate the FAA and any other "gummint peeps" Lets have the AMA put out a simple document that we all can sign and forward(snail mail,fax,email) to them .
Mark my words we are going to lose this hobby if we maintain our PC stupidity, the only thing that DC understands is POWER we do have some of this with our combined numbers. Lets make it work.

Bob
Old 07-19-2014, 02:47 PM
F-16 viperman

Bob, I agree with You however, if big bro comes down with heavy restrictions like licenses with fees for everyone, or airworthiness testing and other onerous regs that make us all risk breaking some law just trying to have some pastime fun, IMO over half will find a different hobby and AMA could end up 82,500 members strong. I,m a lifer so I,ll put up with th BS. Even back when We waiver pilots had to re-apply every year and get witnessed and get it notarized, I wondered if My love for turbines was worth it. Now a lot of members today are passing interest hobbyists that will get bored and find other hobbies down the road anyway. If new potential hobbyists see it as more hassle than potential fun, They'll probably move on to somthing else. Maybe Thats what big bro wants DRONES THAT SIT HOME ON THE COUCH, SHUT UP, PAY TAXES, AND KISS THEIR ASS IN GRATITUDE FOR THE AIR THEY BREATHE, AND QUALITY TV PROGRAMMING LIKE TWO AND A HALF UNICKS! LOL. Seriously, power mad doushebags will always be that!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:08 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=F-16 viperman;11844582]Bob,
Now a lot of members today are passing interest hobbyists that will get bored and find other hobbies down the road anyway. If new potential hobbyists see it as more hassle than potential fun, They'll probably move on to somthing else

Some times i think that may be better for the hobby/sport. Many Newbees I see just don't take this hobby and the Dedication it takes to be proficient much less SAFE. A lot of it has to do with the way they are taught, but still you can tell those that will be marginal at best. They don't really understand how dangerous this hobby/sport can be. We might be better off with out them.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Bob Pastorello

[QUOTE=HoundDog;11844592]
Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Bob,
Now a lot of members today are passing interest hobbyists that will get bored and find other hobbies down the road anyway. If new potential hobbyists see it as more hassle than potential fun, They'll probably move on to somthing else

Some times i think that may be better for the hobby/sport. Many Newbees I see just don't take this hobby and the Dedication it takes to be proficient much less SAFE. A lot of it has to do with the way they are taught, but still you can tell those that will be marginal at best. They don't really understand how dangerous this hobby/sport can be. We might be better off with out them.
ABSOUTELY!!!!! +++11111
Old 07-19-2014, 03:42 PM
F-16 viperman

[QUOTE=HoundDog;11844592]
Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
Bob,

You're probably right, Nowadays, by and large, common sense and understanding personal responsibility seems to have gone out the window with the baby and the bath water. Lifers like us won't sacrifice public safety for showing off. I used to demo at air shows with my jets, and the organisers never respected our seriousness for safety and would push us around time wise, or other wise constantly breaking Our concentration. I told Them "I'm not being a primmadonna, I just won't sacrifice what I know is safe, just to show off". Too much to lose! Hope We don't lose so many members that Our voice becomes even less relevant. BTW, I like the way You end Your posts!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Clubs, Charters, By-Laws, and Officers do *NOT* a "safe site" make........
No where do you mention the members. That's really a shame because they ARE the club. Without them the club would not exist. If the members allow "the management " to operate like they do then they are no better than them. Even a poorly run clubs such as yours can be fixed. It would take effort and people to step up take the rains and change direction. Shame few are willing to do It. Your club is doomed to fail maybe not tomorrow but it's coming and you can blame yourselves when it happens. Places to fly are going away and the only way to keep them is to fight for them.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-19-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 PM
F-16 viperman

Amen to that. That is why as I mentioned in another faa disscussion forum, You either buy a place outside of the big city, and build Your own field of dreams as I did or, You get together as a group and buy and build into a collectively owned time share type field. Either way, it's going to cost more in the future to enjoy Your hobby at a nice club field. Less members will undoubtedly mean higher club dues. And again I'll say, "We never should have allowed Model airplanes to be called drones". I think that is going to bite Us all in the ass!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:13 PM
bufordbob

The FAA and all the other alphabet gummint groups DON'T want us to fly, its not about fines and restrictions, we are and will be a thorn in their sides. One of their extremely intelligent members probably equates all of us as potential terrorists or even worse Patriots. Who knows we might be the real culprits and guilty of GLOBAL WARMING.(Just being facetious here).
Gentlemen the handwriting is on the wall.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Bob Pastorello

No where do you mention the members. That's really a shame because they ARE the club. Without them the club would not exist. If the members allow "the management " to operate like they do then they are no better than them. Even a poorly run clubs such as yours can be fixed. It would take effort and people to step up take the rains and change direction. Shame few are willing to do. It your club is doomed to fail maybe not tomorrow but it's coming and you can blame yourselves when it happens. Places to fly are going away and the only way to keep them is to fight for them.

Mike

e
Absolutely on target, mikey. Great post!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

IMHO - Part of the problem is the suppliers of the gear. To buy ham radio gear, reputable dealers verify your ham radio license before they will sell you something. If our RC dealers would require something like AMA or club membership first, then we could ensure that most folks are at least linked up with someone in the know. Then the government would not have to regulate the hobby itself. Ham Radio operators are pretty much left to self-regulation. Hams are however licensed, pretty much like getting a Turbine Waiver, only a lot more challenging. Maybe we need to be licensed? This is maybe something the AMA ought to be looking at for a model on how to work with the government.

Also, about driving new tech off the club field: Proper Air Space Management practices can alleviate non-compatibility problems as well as expand the club's pilots' skills. Allocate 7-10 minutes to Helis and 7-10 minutes to 3D, etc. every hour and you will find that more club members will take advantage of these new modes versus just putting the Heli and 3Ders "off the field." Also, more clubs need to mandate some sort of pattern, should more than one flier goes up. Air Space Management is the key to get all these modes flying and compatible with each other. Of course, there will be the world champion idiots that show up with the Giant Scale 3D planes with 20 minute+ fuel tanks and obnoxiously loud 120s to 3D in your face and mindlessly disrespect all other flyers. Just limit their timers to 7-10 minutes and/or send two of these folks, if you are blessed with more than one, up at the same time. They will figure out they are a problem! Better yet, standardize the chosen Air Space Management rules among all the clubs in your region! Everyone will get the message quickly as they go from one event to the other.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:06 PM
oly 9

Some of you cannot see the forest thru the trees. This isn't about lack of club support, Police or the Government. This is about people who don't think. All we need is for some Moron flying too close to a crowd or airport and causing an accident. Down a plane or hit some little kid in a crowd we all are screwed. The public outcry for banning these will be so strong, we wont be able to respond. When we see someone flying in a dangerous situation we should try to educate them. Encourage them to go to a club field and join. This is the only way we will all continue to be active in this sport. Quit blaming the "overactive government" "the heavy handed police" "The AMA" Look in the mirror and make sure you don't see anyone who does some of these stupid things. What ever the outcome, we can only blame ourselves.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What the FAA needs to do is as much as possible steer people to flying at RC sites instead of trying to regulate the entire hobby. The FAA should let it be known
that if you fly at a designated RC site you will pretty much be left alone unless you interfere with full scale operations. OTOH it should be know if you operate at a
non RC site you will be under close scrutiny and may be considered to be a non hobby/ recreation operation and if you don't have the proper permits in place
you will be subject to fines.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the age of terrorism a quad copter would be my choice as a weapons delivery system. My second choice would be an fixed or rotary wing UAV. With this in mind I'm surprised that the FAA is allowing us to fly anything. Wait and see, it is only a matter of time, before this scenario occurs. At this time only those flying in a commercial aspect will be allowed to fly.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
In the age of terrorism a quad copter would be my choice as a weapons delivery system. My second choice would be an fixed or rotary wing UAV. With this in mind I'm surprised that the FAA is allowing us to fly anything. Wait and see, it is only a matter of time, before this scenario occurs. At this time only those flying in a commercial aspect will be allowed to fly.
If a act of terrorism was to occur and the FAA shut down the hobby that would do nothing to prevent farther acts of terrorism. In fact it might make it more easier for the
terrorist as there would less people around to notice something going on that looks out of place and a flood of used hobby equip available cheap.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 AM
HoundDog

A Ryder truck or Car filled with fertilizer and fuel oil make a much bigger bang and much easier to obtain
and deliver. It's all about them most BANK for the buck.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM
flycatch

Originally Posted by HoundDog
A Ryder truck or Car filled with fertilizer and fuel oil make a much bigger bang and much easier to obtain
and deliver. It's all about them most BANK for the buck.
You miss the point entirely. We are talking about aerial vehicles not surface.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM
DeferredDefect

I'm going to play devils advocate...

My hobby is strictly based around balsa dust and glow fumes, but I think FPV is a fascinating aspect of the hobby that does not deserve the hatred it's getting.

There's no single person or group to blame for all of this, regardless of what others are saying on here. To point the finger and simplify it into an "Us vs Them" scenario is only creating conflict within our hobby.

Like it or not, the FPV guys, hexcopter pilots and aerial videographers are as relevant to the R/C community as the giant scale warbird builder or sailplane pilot.

Ten years ago, the same ignorant elitism was on the front page of this site over the rise of the ARF and electric models. Some of the most popular threads were basically blaming the first time pilot who went out and bought a .40 Tower Trainer for somehow damaging the hobby. It was a witch hunt, and it accomplished nothing.

Doing the same to FPV is ridiculous, especially when in both the eyes of the legislators and the public, there is no difference between a DJI Phantom and the prior-mentioned Tower Trainer.

As for the recent FAA ruling, there a lot of things to blame, and it should not be narrowed down to scapegoating just one factor.

Models, not just FPV, are becoming much more popular as a hobby. With more people, the greater a chance someone will do something stupid. There are videos of people doing incredibly dangerous stunts with everything from FPV foamy wings to 60 sized trainers, to skateboards, to motorcycles, full scale aircraft, etc. It's not exclusive to FPV..

Also, the vast majority of the popular videos show the R/C hobby in a positive light. If it was not, why has it become so popular? YouTube channels like FliteTest are easily some of the most safety conscious and educational videos online today, and they all have tens of thousands of views each.

I would agree that the average R/C club has done a good job of alienating themselves from FPV. The fact that most FPV'rs don't fly at a club field has nothing to do with their own ignorance of safety or common sense, it's the absolute lack of community that a lot of clubs are guilty of. How many times do we see posts on RCUniverse from guys and gals starting out who had no idea they had a club nearby? If our clubs were less xenophobic and open to new ideas and flying types (and publicized the fact!), maybe more people would join.
Most people are under the impression that a club field is an exclusive club for glow and gas models... We should be changing that.

One of the biggest factors is the media. If I had a dollar for every Fox or Sun News article that's blanketed every aspect of the hobby with fear mongering, I'd have quite a few more models in my hangar. My newspaper yesterday was headlined with "GEEKS WITH DRONES CAUSE SAFETY PROBLEM", and immediately started describing our models as "miniature versions of military drones" causing "safety and privacy concerns". If these idiots are the ones informing the public about flying radio control aircraft, it's no wonder we have a problem.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM
flycatch

Your points are well made however it is the person behind the controls that are making it a problem.
Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
I'm going to play devils advocate...

My hobby is strictly based around balsa dust and glow fumes, but I think FPV is a fascinating aspect of the hobby that does not deserve the hatred it's getting.

There's no single person or group to blame for all of this, regardless of what others are saying on here. To point the finger and simplify it into an "Us vs Them" scenario is only creating conflict within our hobby.

Like it or not, the FPV guys, hexcopter pilots and aerial videographers are as relevant to the R/C community as the giant scale warbird builder or sailplane pilot.

Ten years ago, the same ignorant elitism was on the front page of this site over the rise of the ARF and electric models. Some of the most popular threads were basically blaming the first time pilot who went out and bought a .40 Tower Trainer for somehow damaging the hobby. It was a witch hunt, and it accomplished nothing.

Doing the same to FPV is ridiculous, especially when in both the eyes of the legislators and the public, there is no difference between a DJI Phantom and the prior-mentioned Tower Trainer.

As for the recent FAA ruling, there a lot of things to blame, and it should not be narrowed down to scapegoating just one factor.

Models, not just FPV, are becoming much more popular as a hobby. With more people, the greater a chance someone will do something stupid. There are videos of people doing incredibly dangerous stunts with everything from FPV foamy wings to 60 sized trainers, to skateboards, to motorcycles, full scale aircraft, etc. It's not exclusive to FPV..

Also, the vast majority of the popular videos show the R/C hobby in a positive light. If it was not, why has it become so popular? YouTube channels like FliteTest are easily some of the most safety conscious and educational videos online today, and they all have tens of thousands of views each.

I would agree that the average R/C club has done a good job of alienating themselves from FPV. The fact that most FPV'rs don't fly at a club field has nothing to do with their own ignorance of safety or common sense, it's the absolute lack of community that a lot of clubs are guilty of. How many times do we see posts on RCUniverse from guys and gals starting out who had no idea they had a club nearby? If our clubs were less xenophobic and open to new ideas and flying types (and publicized the fact!), maybe more people would join.
Most people are under the impression that a club field is an exclusive club for glow and gas models... We should be changing that.

One of the biggest factors is the media. If I had a dollar for every Fox or Sun News article that's blanketed every aspect of the hobby with fear mongering, I'd have quite a few more models in my hangar. My newspaper yesterday was headlined with "GEEKS WITH DRONES CAUSE SAFETY PROBLEM", and immediately started describing our models as "miniature versions of military drones" causing "safety and privacy concerns". If these idiots are the ones informing the public about flying radio control aircraft, it's no wonder we have a problem.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

DeferredD! Nice write up. I am sorry to see the FAA in our hobby. I retired from a Professional career as a Corp Jet Capt at 39, now 54, due to loss of medical. I haven't been behind the controls of a plane/jet since that day, other then airline travel. I was at Ocala flying my jets, with another jet buddy that had a new H9 Big foam Cub and had it set up at FPV. He allowed me to fly it. It was the first time that I had been behind the flight controls of an airplane, even though it was a model, the experience was truly a GREAT feeling!! I wanted to buy one that day!! Brought back my found memories of flying. I am sure other retired, loss of medical, etc would love this aspect of the hobby. It truly sucks that we aren't free in the country anymore!!

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 07-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:04 PM
DeferredDefect

Your points are well made however it is the person behind the controls that are making it a problem.
In some cases, yes, but I don't think the problem is anywhere near the scope people think it is. A hypothetical clueless newbie isn't going to go out of their way to cause chaos. After all, they have at least a couple hundred dollars invested in their new toy and certainly don't plan on destroying it after a single flight. I've spoken to a few "rogues" who have never flown in a club, bought their model RTF and were entirely self taught, and they had just as much concern for safety as someone in a club. They have all fit into the "bright, technologically savvy young guy who discovered the hobby on tech forums and YouTube channels" demographic, and there is definitely no ill-intent...(wether the media and FAA believes so is a completely different matter!)

There needs to be much more coordination and cooperation between the traditional hobby and the newer online-taught, open source hobby that's arrived much more recently.

DeferredD! Nice write up. I am sorry to see the FAA in our hobby. I retired from a Professional career as a Corp Jet Capt at 39, now 54, due to loss of medical. I haven't been behind the controls of a plane/jet since that day, other then airline travel. I was at Ocala flying my jets, with another jet buddy that had a new H9 Big foam Cub and had it set up at FPV. He allowed me to fly it. It was the first time that I had been behind the flight controls of an airplane, even though it was a model, the experience was truly a GREAT feeling!! I wanted to buy one that day!! Brought back my found memories of flying. I am sure other retired, loss of medical, etc would love this aspect of the hobby. It truly sucks that we aren't free in the country anymore!!
Hi Dan;
Funnily enough, I'm heading down the commercial aviation path myself.
One of the biggest issues with the industry I am seeing is simply the lack of enthusiasm in the younger generation towards flying. Obviously there are some pretty big deterrents to becoming a pilot, but people today just aren't inspired to take it up anymore. FPV and model flying is a fantastic way to give people a taste of flight, and I know that this hobby 100% is the reason I'm flying full-scale today. If that were not an option, I'd have gone the FPV route years ago, and am still seriously considering it. In Canada, you need a HAM licence to legally use first-person gear, but I'm worried that TC will follow the FAA, which happens quite often.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:11 PM
bufordbob

Deferred,could you send me an article from Fox and one from Sun News please?

Thanks,

Bob F.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.