Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Pica & Ikon N'wst laser-cut kits coming back with Kickstarter campaign

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Pica & Ikon N'wst laser-cut kits coming back with Kickstarter campaign

Old 07-15-2014, 02:56 PM
pilotdude57

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
RC Ken has already warned this guy once to stop posting multiple posts all with the common theme of this kickstarter nonsense . Just remember , the wheels of justice here at RCU turn exceedingly slow , but turn they do , and I'm sure Mr. Dood will be dealt with in due time ......
The threads were only started in the few categories where people may be interested, such as "Giant Scale", and "Balsa Kits", etc., there were no threads started in non-related categories. You call it Kickstarter "Nonsense". Was Adrian Page's Kickstarter campaign to get a laser cutter "nonsense", where he got $12,000?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by Hemikiller
Funny, but according to BAX, Hobbico doesn't have the rights to the Pica kits....
Who is "BAX", and I was told that Hobbico bought Cox, and Cox had the rights to the Pica kits. Ok, I just looked at who is putting out the 1/5 scale Waco ARF from the Pica plans and kit ($500) and it is Great Planes. So, I guess it was Great Planes who bought out Pica.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by r_adical
I say let him keep digging a bigger hole maybe he will fall into it
LOL! Most of you guys are just negative naysayers. Hope your lives are better than that, with some hope for the future.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:08 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , that's one of them thar things bout holes , when yer in one deep enough , It's best to stop diggin !

But really , and in all seriousness ,

I and everyone else would like nothing more than to see pilotdude actually end up making a go of this . Pretty much most of our present day suppliers started out just that way as small operations and ALL companies have to start somewhere . It would be really great to see the guy GET the proper permission to use the designs , build a few , and see if the market beats a path to his door . That's the right way , The way every small company starts out , and should have the blessing of all . Our problem here is one of "putting the cart before the horse" in that he needs both the legal permission to use the designs AND the respect of a well earned name for building from these designs , BEFORE asking strangers for money to fund something that likely may not happen for either legal or other market force factors .

I do truly wish the OP the best with step one , securing the permission to use the designs . This step , which of course will need a lawyer to draft the contract to have any validity in any future legal dealings the new company may encounter , will enable him to build a few , sell a few , and let we the buying public decide if any more of em need to be made .

And THEN , we'll talk about money , after the OP has put enough of his OWN "skin in the game" as to prove being fully vested in the idea of becoming a kitmaker VS a get rich quick scheme .
As I said in the other postings, if there is a problem with getting authority to produce the Pica kits or Ikon N'wst kits, all I have to do is do my own design BASED on the Pica or Ikon N'wst kits, and increase the wingspans by one inch, so it is not reproducing their kits, and make them under the name "Scale Aerospace". Anybody can put out a kit of a P-51, Corsair, or whatever, if it is not the EXACT same size as another company's kit, then it is not a copyright violation. Also, I will be offering "ready to cover", and "Almost ready to fly" airplanes that you can't get anywhere else. Have you seen an ARF B-17 or Spirit of St.Louis or Ford Trimotor? (other than the foam ones).
Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said in the other postings, if there is a problem with getting authority to produce the Pica kits or Ikon N'wst hat kits, all I have to do is do my own design BASED on the Pica or Ikon N'wst kits, and increase the wingspans by one inch, so it is not reproducing their kits, and make them under the name "Scale Aerospace". Anybody can put out a kit of a P-51, Corsair, or whatever, if it is not the EXACT same size as another company's kit, then it is not a copyright violation.

There is a name for that.Its called stealing. People that do that are called thief's.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM
willig10

Polo dude: you have hijacked how many threads, you have started how many threads? All I see is your kick start campaign and a lot of name dropping and who your going to interview etc etc etc. you have shown no product, you have shown no pictures, I have yet to see anything tangible from you other than a plea for money. Oh yeah and your life story about how you have been wronged, then there is your threatening tone of lawsuits to people on this forum.

how about this. Why don't you save your money or get a loan. Then come here and sell your product? This begging is just so wrong on so many levels. Then to have the audacity to publicly state that you are going to build the same plane but with a 1inch bigger span is just ludicrous. 

Everytime me someone tells you something to try and lead you down a path to credibility, you come back with an answer. Well I call a spade a spade. Your just a snake oil salesman.

You have nothing to offer but excuse after excuse, so done with your BS.

Glenn
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel that the OP's posts have provided us with enough information to draw our own conclusions. It will be interesting to see if those conclusions have made the impression that PD desires, and results in the funds he desires.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:47 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

All the best with your project, dude. You have quite the challenge on your hands.

From experience back in the day when I ran my hobby business - we purchased and tested several of every manufacturers planes prior to taking them on as suppliers to avoid junk - and having approached Ikon, we purchased several kits and tested them to see if they were what they and others claimed them to be, I came to the conclusion that it was a case of the public viewing the king's new clothes.

Total rubbish. I'd never use those plans to cut a laser part. Parts did not fit the plans. Plans were very crudely drawn and contained numerous errors. Wood was poor. No real plywood, just that low grade luan mahogany stuff with plenty of voids and numerous missing parts including plans sheets. Lots of promises from Ikon to send the missing stuff with never a replacement in sight.

I wouldn't give you 10 cents for any Ikon design.

Best thing that ever happened was their vanishing from the RC scene.

You'll have a lot of correction ahead of you befoe you make the first laser cut if you want them to come out right.

Last edited by do335a; 07-15-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotdude57
Who is "BAX", and I was told that Hobbico bought Cox, and Cox had the rights to the Pica kits. Ok, I just looked at who is putting out the 1/5 scale Waco ARF from the Pica plans and kit ($500) and it is Great Planes. So, I guess it was Great Planes who bought out Pica.
Bax

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/members/bax.html

You seem to be good at making assumptions and claims that sound like facts, but in the end, you are just making crap up to try to appear credible. The hardest part about lying is remembering all that you have told. You've made a complete fool out of yourself with spamming the forums and all the claims you've made.

Let me put it this way, you haven't made it past the Channel to the french coast yet, #4 engine is feathered and on fire, you have wounded crew and are leaking fuel. Are you going to continue to Berlin or do the smart thing and head for home?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Emil and I were good friends back when I lived in Post Falls, and I am sure he would be thrilled to see his plans and kits continue onward. I was considering supporting this venture so did some background checking. I think I will pass as there appear to be some accusations of sketchy past behavior. This appears to be the same gentlemen that started this post.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/104...stealing-plane
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by do335a
All the best with your project, dude. You have quite the challenge on your hands.

From experience back in the day when I ran my hobby business - we purchased and tested several of every manufacturers planes prior to taking them on as suppliers to avoid junk - and having approached Ikon, we purchased several kits and tested them to see if they were what they and others claimed them to be, I came to the conclusion that it was a case of the public viewing the king's new clothes.

Total rubbish. I'd never use those plans to cut a laser part. Parts did not fit the plans. Plans were very crudely drawn and contained numerous errors. Wood was poor. No real plywood, just that low grade luan mahogany stuff with plenty of voids and numerous missing parts including plans sheets. Lots of promises from Ikon to send the missing stuff with never a replacement in sight.

You'll have a lot of correction ahead of you befoe you make the first laser cut if you want them to come out right.
Here comes the war.

Your opinion of IKON is nor shared by many of us, who collect and build these designs. I haven't run into the issues that you describe, in the 7-10 airframes that I've encountered.

Your opinion of these designs is not the issue here, nor is mine. Let's leave this aspect out of this discussion, and concentrate on PD, and his claims.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No war here.

My comments are based on facts, not speculation or preferences or what I would like things to be or have been.

7-10 you've encountered? Which is it? We purchased exactly 5. Sent them to builders and did one myself.

Better off for Pilotdude to start from scratch. Takes less effort to make it correct from the beginning as opposed to correcting surprise after sequential surprise.

Absolutely no possibility of copyright infringment or need to consider royalties in that case either.

Again based on real world experience and not conjecture, you'll find that setting up a design for cost efficiences with laser production is not the same animal as doing it for die cutting or machine cutting. Have had the opportunity of doing that, complete from concept to product development to protypte testing to laser cutting production to marketing.

Pilotdude has quite the challenge ahead of him with those designs. Wishing him all the best.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 AM
TomCrump

My IKON builds inclued the Monocoupe, Fairchild 24,Stinson SR-8, Cessna Airmaster.

Your opinion, is just that, an opinion. As is mine.

These weren't beginner's kits. Extensive experience was required. They were all very buildable, though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3216.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	2014650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri67889.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	2014651   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2014652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86199.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2014653  
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM
willig10

So someone with the same name as the OP stole an airplane? Oh how the plot thickens. Just one more story that adds to the "story". Wonder what the "answer" will be now?

Glenn
Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what was this thresd about again?

Joe
Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

All this was discussed in the Warbirds forum yesterday, and was quite detailed as the individual that intends to produce these kits was also posting. Questions were asked, answers were given, suggestions made, and a few times it was quite tense. For whatever reason, that thread has been deleted. Previous posting notifications go to a dead page, and there's no listing of it in the warbird forum, and additionally there's no history of my post to that thread. Wow...
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Radical Departure
All this was discussed in the Warbirds forum yesterday, and was quite detailed as the individual that intends to produce these kits was also posting. Questions were asked, answers were given, suggestions made, and a few times it was quite tense. For whatever reason, that thread has been deleted. Previous posting notifications go to a dead page, and there's no listing of it in the warbird forum, and additionally there's no history of my post to that thread. Wow...
Yes, and it's a shame that thread was deleted, because Pilotdude gave us a lot of useful information about himself. Such as how he was going to make $1.8 million by reporting overpayments to air traffic controllers, how he was going to design a plane for Tom Cruise (or maybe for a movie), some odd stuff about the Playboy jet, and some legal discussion about how he could use other people's plans without payment because of some law he heard about at a rocket club meeting. Good to know these things before sending him your money. Me, I'll go for the Nigerian prince's proposal instead, I think.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Radical Departure

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Yes, and it's a shame that thread was deleted, because Pilotdude gave us a lot of useful information about himself. Such as how he was going to make $1.8 million by reporting overpayments to air traffic controllers, how he was going to design a plane for Tom Cruise (or maybe for a movie), some odd stuff about the Playboy jet, and some legal discussion about how he could use other people's plans without payment because of some law he heard about at a rocket club meeting. Good to know these things before sending him your money. Me, I'll go for the Nigerian prince's proposal instead, I think.
It was pretty good.. very few I get popcorn for, this was one of them.. LOL!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn

It is a shame because he did admit to being involved in the Full Size incident, and that he is NOT a Full Size CFI as originally claimed in the Kickstarter campaign.And as he pointed out himself he is due 1.8 million. If thats the case our 9500 would be a drop in the bucket.

What bothers me most is the constant changing of stories.

I may be a negative Nellie, but my money is still in my wallet.

And it will stay there until I see proof of anything more than smoke and mirrors
Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Radical Departure

Originally Posted by r_adical
It is a shame because he did admit to being involved in the Full Size incident, and that he is NOT a Full Size CFI as originally claimed in the Kickstarter campaign.And as he pointed out himself he is due 1.8 million. If thats the case our 9500 would be a drop in the bucket.

What bothers me most is the constant changing of stories.

I may be a negative Nellie, but my money is still in my wallet.

And it will stay there until I see proof of anything more than smoke and mirrors
Ran across his Kickstarter Campaign somewhere else several days ago. Ready to plop some coin down, but as I continued reading and re-reading, something just didn't seem right, and had trouble understanding exactly what I would be getting if contributed. So when the thread popped up here, I knew it would be interesting.. and it certainly was!! Yeah he stepped all in it....
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by dirtybird
As I said in the other postings, if there is a problem with getting authority to produce the Pica kits or Ikon N'wst hat kits, all I have to do is do my own design BASED on the Pica or Ikon N'wst kits, and increase the wingspans by one inch, so it is not reproducing their kits, and make them under the name "Scale Aerospace". Anybody can put out a kit of a P-51, Corsair, or whatever, if it is not the EXACT same size as another company's kit, then it is not a copyright violation.

There is a name for that.Its called stealing. People that do that are called thief's.
The definition of theft according to the law is "to deprive an owner of property or services". If I expand the size of a kit and do it using that kit as a GUIDE, for REFERENCE only, then it is not "stealing". It does not deprive the owner of the property or service. Theft of "intellectual property" is when the taking of that, or use of that, deprives the originator of the MONEY they would have gained if not for the use of the intellectual property. In other words, if you cause them to get REDUCED sales by offering the same thing as they have on the market, which is taken FROM them (using their own product to compete against them, i.e. selling it at a lower price), then they have lost money because of it. The Pica kits and Ikon N'wst kits are no longer being produced, even by those who might have the rights to them, so they are not being financially hurt by a product that is only BASED on them. So, it is NOT "theft".
Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by willig10
Polo dude: you have hijacked how many threads, you have started how many threads? All I see is your kick start campaign and a lot of name dropping and who your going to interview etc etc etc. you have shown no product, you have shown no pictures, I have yet to see anything tangible from you other than a plea for money. Oh yeah and your life story about how you have been wronged, then there is your threatening tone of lawsuits to people on this forum.

how about this. Why don't you save your money or get a loan. Then come here and sell your product? This begging is just so wrong on so many levels. Then to have the audacity to publicly state that you are going to build the same plane but with a 1inch bigger span is just ludicrous. 

Everytime me someone tells you something to try and lead you down a path to credibility, you come back with an answer. Well I call a spade a spade. Your just a snake oil salesman.

You have nothing to offer but excuse after excuse, so done with your BS.

Glenn
A kickstarter campaign is not "begging" for money, it is giving people the opportunity to get a product at a much lower cost than it will sell for once it is available to the general public, and to help get the funding necessary to get the production going, which is why it is called KICKSTARTER. You can't get a loan to START a business, only a business EXPANSION loan if you are already successful. There may be an exception with a small-business loan through the government SBA, but the loans still come from banks, they are still according to the banks rules, but they are guaranteed by the government if you qualify. I will check into that. With the Kickstarter campaign, the credit card is not charged until if and when the minimum requested $9,500 is reached, so a person does not have to worry about being charged and then the originator doesn't have enough money to do it.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM
pilotdude57

I will not send a kit out until all problems, large or small, are corrected and the kit is easy to construct and the plans and instructions are easy to follow. That is the main reason for laser cutting, so the parts all fit perfectly.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:14 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by thailazer
Emil and I were good friends back when I lived in Post Falls, and I am sure he would be thrilled to see his plans and kits continue onward. I was considering supporting this venture so did some background checking. I think I will pass as there appear to be some accusations of sketchy past behavior. This appears to be the same gentlemen that started this post.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/104...stealing-plane
Click on this link again and read the comment at the bottom. I am one of 165 FAA Air Traffic Controllers who were in the fourth year of the four-year program to contract out control towers at small airports, where we moved to higher-level facilities and were replaced by contract controllers, and where only us in the fourth year of the program were DELAYED in moving to higher-level facilities by 14 months BECAUSE of our whistleblower disclosure, through our Union, to the Cleveland Federal Court and Secretary of Transportation, that the FAA was illegally conducting the program without complying with an OMB REGULATION to do an "A-76" cost analysis first. Those who moved in the first three years of the program moved AS SCHEDULED and were given the correct pay raises in conversion to a new pay system and 3-year distribution of $200 million. Us delayed controllers were given SMALLER-PERCENTAGE pay raises DURING the delay (raises to BASE pay only, not considering higher locality pay), and on two occasions NO pay raise than/that we would have been given if we had moved on time, and then, TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY, when we finally DID move were illegally put at the bottom of the new pay band, INSTEAD OF the position in the pay band we would have achieved if we had moved on time, and as compared with those who moved in the first three years of the program. The FAA has taken four GS-10, step 10s, identical employees at the same level of pay at the Level One control towers before they were contracted out, sent ALL FOUR to the SAME higher-level facility, put three near the TOP of the new pay band, and the fourth at the BOTTOM of the pay band, and deceived the Union President into agreeing with it. The deception was probably not intentional, it was probably just, "the blind leading the blind". T

he Union President and Head of Air Traffic, being only ex-Air Traffic Controllers, NOT Personnel Specialists, were not aware of the LEGAL REQUIREMENT to give us delayed controllers RETROACTIVE higher-percentage raises when we finally moved, so we would not be financially PENALIZED and DISCRIMINATED AGAINST because of the our whistleblower disclosure of FAA wrongdoing. This cheated me out of $20,700 per year at the Boeing Field FAA control tower in Seattle, compared with other IDENTICAL coworkers. After working for 3.5 years at the wrong level of pay, making TWO trips to Washington D.C. to attend two meetings to complain about it with my fellow fourth-year controllers, with the Air Traffic Division giving two Senator's offices a letter with 5 PROVABLY false statements, I had to resign to access my retirement fund as the only way to pay for the lawsuit against them, and after two years still couldn't get rehired, after working for the FAA for 21 years at six different control towers, including Minneapolis International (where two months after being transferred to the Decatur, Illinois, control tower not of my own request, the boss came upstairs and said, "I just talked to Les Case (tower manager at Minneapolis) and he said you "got the shaft"), and had severe sleep problems and financial problems, even though I had PROOF that the FAA owed me at least $72,450 for the 3.5 years, couldn't think straight (just like not sleeping at all for 4 or 5 days), and that caused me to think about suicide, ergo the airplane incident.

I did not STEAL the airplane, I had permission to have it, and due to a misunderstanding had if for five hours, where they thought I was only going to have it for about 1.5 hours, and when I called my mom in Sandpoint she told me they were looking for me, so I IMMEDIATELY flew it back, and where they thought I had crashed or stolen the airplane the FAA Inspector came up to me and asked what was going on, so I told him about the pay issue with the FAA and that I had to resign to access my retirement fund to pay for legal action and couldn't get rehired, which caused me to think about jumping out of the airplane over the mountains. He said, "If you rented the airplane for the purpose of committing suicide, that's grand theft". I only told him that I THOUGHT about doing it, not that I PLANNED on doing it. He was not an attorney, or prosecutor, so he was out of line. The cops who were there heard him say that, so put me in jail. They let me go on "retained jurisdiction" on probation without a conviction. They joked around about whether I would be a "flight risk" if they let me out originally on bail. LOL. The FAA Inspector, who died about six months later with an apparent overdose of prescription drugs, came to the jail and provoked me into voluntarily giving up my licenses and ratings, as it would "look good to the Judge", which I did, and he said I could get them back with taking the written and flight tests over again, which I have not gotten around to doing.

I have now learned of a process server in Washington D.C., Dan Portnoy, who has served Chief Judge Roberts of the Supreme Court at his home address, where in President Obama's first inauguration oath some atheist filed action to keep him from saying, "...so help me God", and he said Judge Roberts was a real nice guy and signed the papers. I am going to have him served again, not with a lawsuit, but, on behalf of us 165 cheated controllers, which caused an incorrect distribution of the $200 million, to ask him to have a meeting with President Obama and inform him that it is his MANDATORY duty according to Section 2301(c)(1), Title 5, U.S.C., "Merit System Principles", concerning Federal employees, where a Federal Agency is guilty of disparate treatment of identical employees, and states, "...the President SHALL take ANY action, including the issuance of rules, regulations, or directives...", to issue a "corrective directive" to the FAA Administrator to order him to pay us as if we moved AS SCHEDULED, so we are paid the same as other identical employees who moved in the first three years of the program (it's against the law to give the first-three-year employees LARGER pay raises than us fourth-year employees received) and rehire any (3 that I know of) who resigned BECAUSE we were being cheated out of pay, which was, "constructive discharge", same as wrongful termination, and show that we never left the FAA and have worked since resignation at the correct level of pay.

Since it caused an incorrect distribution of the $200 million, it can be corrected WITHOUT COST to the FAA by making a tiny adjustment over a one year period, or it can actually be corrected over a two-year period with financial BENEFIT to the FAA, as once the overpayments were established with all other controllers, they have been CONTINOUS for the last 14.8 years, as when I asked the Compensation Policy Manager, "What happens after the distribution of the $200 million?", he replied, "Then it becomes the cost of doing business", so pay did not go back down after the distribution, therefore, the incorrect distribution has been continuous since the second year of the distribution, but most of us 165 were only cheated on a TEMPORARY basis, so the FAA can actually GAIN money over the next two years in the recovery of overpayments from the 99% who have been overpaid, because the 1% of us were cheated. CHA CHING for me AND the FAA, BECAUSE OF my whistleblowing to the Chief Judge of the Supreme Court. He can also order the reinstatement of my pilot licenses and ratings, and order the Idaho court to consider that the airplane incident never happened.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:18 PM
pilotdude57

No war here.

My comments are based on facts, not speculation or preferences or what I would like things to be or have been.

7-10 you've encountered? Which is it? We purchased exactly 5. Sent them to builders and did one myself.

Better off for Pilotdude to start from scratch. Takes less effort to make it correct from the beginning as opposed to correcting surprise after sequential surprise.

Absolutely no possibility of copyright infringment or need to consider royalties in that case either.

Again based on real world experience and not conjecture, you'll find that setting up a design for cost efficiences with laser production is not the same animal as doing it for die cutting or machine cutting. Have had the opportunity of doing that, complete from concept to product development to protypte testing to laser cutting production to marketing.

Pilotdude has quite the challenge ahead of him with those designs. Wishing him all the best.
I may be able to make a deal with Nick Ziroli to cut from his plans and pay him royalties to include his plans, which I would be able to print out with the plotter. However, I already have plans for all the airplanes listed on the Kickstarter campaign, from other sources.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.