Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Pica & Ikon N'wst laser-cut kits coming back with Kickstarter campaign

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Pica & Ikon N'wst laser-cut kits coming back with Kickstarter campaign

Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 AM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotdude57
There is no "changing of stories". As I said in one of the posts, I VOLUNTARILY gave up my licenses and ratings at the suggestion of an FAA Inspector, where he said all I had to do to get them back was to take the written and flight tests again, which I could do with one hand tied behind my back, so to say that just because I am temporarily not licensed right now so am not a Flight Instructor is the same as saying that if Mario Andretti loses his driver's license he is not an experienced driver any more! LOL. They can't take away my 960 hours of flight time.
to to be sure Mario is a current driver,

you are not
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 AM
r_adical

Originally Posted by dirtybird
If you are in touch with the makers of JB movies you should e able to get all the funds you need from them. 10K is peanuts to those guys. Why bother us?
BTW the last I heard the JB movies were made in England. What are they doing in Idaho?
don't forget Hugh Hefner and Tom Cruise
Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 AM
r_adical

You ASSUME the court is fully aware of the reason for our complaint. Keep in mind, I was not the only plaintiff in the Court of Federal Claims case, there were 9 others. The court failed to understand the case, because our attorney failed to properly explain it to the Judges. The Judges thought it was about getting a "two-step increase" by moving under 5334(b) of Title 5, U.S.C., the GS pay regulations. It was NOT about getting a two-step increase, it was about being established at the new facilities at the correct POSITION in the new pay band. If I had moved AS SCHEDULED to the Boeing Field control tower, two months BEFORE the new pay system went into affect, I would have been put there as a GS-11, step 9, and then two months later in the pay system conversion my "step 9" would have put me at the 90% position in the new pay band, almost at the top of the pay band, but both the Union and FAA are responsible for CAUSING our 14-month delay in contracting out, with their legal battle in the Cleveland Federal Court (the Union trying to STOP the contracting, so trying to STOP our promotions to the higher-level facilities, WITHOUT our permission), then, when we finally moved they both agreed to put us ALL at the BOTTOM of the new pay band at the new facilities, giving us only, on average, HALF the pay raise we would have been given if we had moved on time. That is, "Conspiracy to deprive of wages". Putting me at the bottom of the pay band instead of the position in the pay band I would have been put at if I had moved as scheduled cheated me out of $20,700 per year, as at the time the difference between the bottom of the pay band and the top of the pay band was $24,000 per year, that's right, at the SAME facility, with everyone doing the SAME job. What really pissed me off was that I was working with a guy who arrived the same month I was SUPPOSED to arrive, he was hired 8 YEARS AFTER me, had never served his country in the military compared with my four years on an aircraft carrier as a controller, had never taken a flying lesson compared with my 960 hours of flight time, had only worked at two FAA towers compared with my six towers, and was a cook at a restaurant before being hired, and they were paying him $24,000 per year MORE than me, because he was put there at the appropriate grade and step and then had Rule 35 applied to change pay systems, but I didn't have those same rules and regulations applied to me, which would have been applied to me, JUST LIKE HIM, if I had moved on time. If I had moved on time he still would have been getting $3,000 per year more than me, which still would not have been right, but I could put up with that, but NOT $24,000 per year more.
When one of my coworkers saw the illegal agreement to move us to the new facilities using "paragraph 51" from the new pay system, when we have never been converted into the new pay system as the MANDATORY Rule 35 "conversion rule" has never been applied to us, he threw it down and said, "We are losing credit for our pay steps, they are trying to get us to quit". He complained to the Regional Union rep from Salt Lake City, who said, "I see what you are saying, we should be able to get you paid the same as if you hadn't been delayed, but you know that if you get those raises other controllers won't get as much, because it has to come out of the $200 million". Two weeks later he called and said he brought it up at a Union meeting and was told to "shut up about it". The Courts FAILED to conduct testimony from the Union President, Human Resources, and the Air Traffic Division to find out why they did what they did, and at NO TIME did ANY Judge ask the question, "How WAS their pay set?". The court rulings have false and ridiculous statements in them. The Air Traffic Division has given Senator Patty Murray and Senator Maria Cantwell a letter with 5 PROVABLY false statements concerning the pay-setting of the fourth-year employees. The courts made an INCORRECT statement that there were "Meritorious rulings against him", the court said in their ruling that by the time we moved to the new facilities those FACILITIES had already changed pay systems, so we cannot move under the GS regulations, as moving under the GS regulations requires a GS to GS move. It is not FACILITIES that change pay systems, it is EMPLOYEES who change pay systems. If they want to play that RIDICULOUS game, then as soon as FAA management realized we would not move until AFTER the new pay system went into effect, they should have RESERVED GS positions for us at the "target" facilities, and then as soon as we filled those GS positions, then apply the Rule 35 conversion rule to change pay systems, to put us at the correct POSITION in the new pay band. We were VICTIMIZED by an INCOMPETENT Union President (Mike McNally) and an INCOMPETENT Head of Air Traffic, and then an INCOMPETENT attorney who failed to explain it properly to the Judges. Mike McNally, later admitted, after he was no longer Union President, that the agreement was an "administrative error". He tried to get the subsequent Union President, John Carr, to give him permission to "re-represent you guys", but Mr. Carr refused. It was later discovered that Mr. Carr's WIFE (Jill Carr) was an Air Traffic Controller at the Reagan National airport control tower in D.C., and he knew that if we had our pay corrected, FAA management would say, "Ok, that means there has been an incorrect distribution of the $200 million", and his wife would have to repay her overpayments, and her then-current paycheck would go down, and when HE went back to being an Air Traffic Controller HE would also get a smaller paycheck, as when a President goes back to being a controller, his or her pay is set as if he or she never left being a controller and was never Union President, but us delayed controllers don't get that same treatment, to be paid as if the 14-month delay never happened. So, there you have it, the court doesn't understand the complaint, and our Union is refusing to represent us due to "conflict of interest".
it really seems as though it's not your fault these things constantly keep happening. It's always somebody else making the mistakes.

Thinking about jumping out of an airplane over the mountains is not a rational act.

several requests have been made and ignored for ANYTHING that will prove you have the capacity to put out a kit

Put Up or Shutup, respectfully
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 AM
r_adical

Originally Posted by zantero
Cool, I have always wanted to build one but the original kits are soo hard to come by, thanks for the reply.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=989061
Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting that you mention them being in Idaho. They are not, however, the little black jet boat in the Bond movie, "The World is Not Enough", was made by the Benz boat company in Lewiston, Idaho. I found out about that, and called Mr. Nightingale at the Benz boat company, and he said that Simon Crane showed up with a couple of guys about six or seven months before the movie came out, and said they needed five little black jet boats for the movie, two with engines and three without engines for explosions. Mr. Nightingale said he would have to hire more guys to work around the clock, because they wanted them done in 30 days. He threw out a price of $350,000, which he thought Mr. Crane would try to negotiate lower, but he didn't, just whipped out the checkbook and wrote a check for $350,000.
As I said 10K is peanuts to those guys. I think you should concentrate on getting your airplane in that movie. They might just whip out that checkbook for you.
BTW I don't see Simone Crane listed in the credits for Die Another Day.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246460/fullcredits/
Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Check out Adrian Page's Kickstarter campaign that ended the first week of May, with pledges totaling $12,000, to get a laser cutter. Just go to Kickstarter and search for "airplane", and you will see a picture of him with his Gee Bee R-2 racer. Explain to me how he can do it, but not me, if he will have to pay 4K per year in maintenance. I added the $2,000 above what he had as his minimum to get the color plotter also, and finish the vacuum forming machine that I already have many parts for.
I have spoken to Adrian many times over the years and his situation is completely different. He designed the kits himself, he has produced them for many years and has built up quite a large customer base. He already has all the molds, equipment and everything else for his kits in place and he has a very good reputation in the industry. He has been looking at laser cutting his kits for as long as I can remember. I can tell you from experience that even with a free laser cutter, he won't be making much money and he won't be selling many kit after the initial wave.

I would love to see someone update the designs and release Pica kits again but I see the claims you are making and the things you are offering on your kickstarter page and, honesty, they seem way too good to be true. We have been producing laser cut warbird kits for 15+ years and there is no way we could do what you are claiming in less than 1 years time, even if we devoted all our resources. I hope for everyone's sake who contributed that you prove me wrong.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by RCKen
Ok, I'm going to step in here for a bit guys. Let's keep this threads on topic, which is the discussion of kit cutting and his kickstarter campaign. Let's leave all the discussion of his legal issue out of the thread. There are plenty of places on the internet to discuss legal matters such as this, RCU definitely isn't one of them. Let's keep this thread on topic or I will be forced to close it down.

Ken
This guy is askng for money based on his reputation.
This thread clearly shows what that is.
It also shows he has no knowledge of what it takes to put out a kit. He thinks the can just buy a laser cutter and start pumping them out the door.
.Please don't delete anything.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:15 AM
pilotdude57

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know how long ago the Sterling and Royal kit companies went out of business and if anyone has the rights to those lines? I would be interested in producing them also.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by r_adical
to to be sure Mario is a current driver,

you are not
If they take Mario's license away, he would still be a "qualified" driver.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM
pilotdude57

don't forget Hugh Hefner and Tom Cruise
Those individuals would only be involved with the development of the FULL-SCALE StarJet. This is about model airplanes.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM
pilotdude57

it really seems as though it's not your fault these things constantly keep happening. It's always somebody else making the mistakes.

Thinking about jumping out of an airplane over the mountains is not a rational act.

several requests have been made and ignored for ANYTHING that will prove you have the capacity to put out a kit

Put Up or Shutup, respectfully
Take a look at the first photo on the Kickstarter campaign of the Beaver done from a laser-cut kit. I had to have another company do the laser cutting for me, which is expensive. That's why I am trying to get my own laser cutter, to REDUCE the cost to the customer, so if you want kits for LESS money in the future, you would want to help me out.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
pilotdude57

Wow, didn't even know that ARF existed. Wonder why they quit making them, or if Cox is putting out any other Pica ARFs.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:50 AM
pilotdude57

As I said 10K is peanuts to those guys. I think you should concentrate on getting your airplane in that movie. They might just whip out that checkbook for you.
BTW I don't see Simone Crane listed in the credits for Die Another Day.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246460/fullcredits/
I just checked it out and it shows Vic Armstrong as both the Second Unit Director AND Stunt Coordinator. Apparently Simon Crane was going to do it in the beginning of production, but then left for some reason. He was Stunt Coordinator for "The World is Not Enough", so I think he was set up for the same with the next movie, but didn't keep on with it.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by w0mbat
I have spoken to Adrian many times over the years and his situation is completely different. He designed the kits himself, he has produced them for many years and has built up quite a large customer base. He already has all the molds, equipment and everything else for his kits in place and he has a very good reputation in the industry. He has been looking at laser cutting his kits for as long as I can remember. I can tell you from experience that even with a free laser cutter, he won't be making much money and he won't be selling many kit after the initial wave.

I would love to see someone update the designs and release Pica kits again but I see the claims you are making and the things you are offering on your kickstarter page and, honesty, they seem way too good to be true. We have been producing laser cut warbird kits for 15+ years and there is no way we could do what you are claiming in less than 1 years time, even if we devoted all our resources. I hope for everyone's sake who contributed that you prove me wrong.
During the last 15 years you did not have a 3D printer at your disposal to quickly make the plugs to use in the vacuum forming machine. The local library network here in North Idaho has a 3D printer that they will use for any library member just for the cost of the plastic material used. So, all you have to do is print out the plug, then use silicone rubber to pour a mold around it, then fill that mold with high-temp capable material (from Alumilite) to make the plug to actually use in the vacuum forming machine. Much quicker than having to manually do everything and then make a fiberglass plug. There are companies around the country now that specialize in "rapid prototyping", that use 3d Printers, etc., so things can be done much more quickly nowadays. One, for example, is Proto Tech in Liberty Lake, Washington, not too far from me. If you ever get a chance to visit a rapid prototyping company, it's pretty impressive as to what they can do.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 PM
pilotdude57

This guy is askng for money based on his reputation.
This thread clearly shows what that is.
It also shows he has no knowledge of what it takes to put out a kit. He thinks the can just buy a laser cutter and start pumping them out the door.
.Please don't delete anything.
Even if ALL the kits do not get delivered before the end of September, many of them will, and the rest would be shipped by the end of October at the latest, so I do not expect to be able to "pump them out the door".
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I'm appalled by all the vitriol displayed by most of the posts so far.

If the kickstarter campaign works, so much the better. We need more kitmakers, period. Good luck with it!

If you don't want to contribute, that's ok. Just vent elsewhere please.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:36 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by eddieC
I'm appalled by all the vitriol displayed by most of the posts so far.

If the kickstarter campaign works, so much the better. We need more kitmakers, period. Good luck with it!

If you don't want to contribute, that's ok. Just vent elsewhere please.
Well said. Even if it takes me longer to do than I anticipate, the rewards WILL be fulfilled.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 PM
w0mbat

During the last 15 years you did not have a 3D printer at your disposal to quickly make the plugs to use in the vacuum forming machine. The local library network here in North Idaho has a 3D printer that they will use for any library member just for the cost of the plastic material used. So, all you have to do is print out the plug, then use silicone rubber to pour a mold around it, then fill that mold with high-temp capable material (from Alumilite) to make the plug to actually use in the vacuum forming machine. Much quicker than having to manually do everything and then make a fiberglass plug. There are companies around the country now that specialize in "rapid prototyping", that use 3d Printers, etc., so things can be done much more quickly nowadays. One, for example, is Proto Tech in Liberty Lake, Washington, not too far from me. If you ever get a chance to visit a rapid prototyping company, it's pretty impressive as to what they can do.
We looked at 3D printers but I can make a mold by hand faster than I can print and finish one on the current crop of 3D printers - and it's a lot less expensive. Of course if I had 5 printers at my disposal for free, it would be a different story! The molds are just a small part of the time it takes to get a kit ready for market and there are companies out there that will produce the mold and provide the plastic/fiberglass parts for a fraction more than we can make them for ourselves in small quantities. Producing the manual takes as long or longer than designing the plane in CAD. I assume you are going to have a manual with each kit?? How are you going to accomplish all of this in 60 days?

You do realize that if you do receive enough money to purchase a laser that you will need an additional $10,000.00 more for the materials just to produce the kits that you promised people? If you don't have enough money to purchase the laser, how are you going to get the money to buy the materials to produce the kits? Also, where are you going to find a large enough and powerful enough laser to cut that kind of kit for $9500.00? Not only do you need the laser but you will need a vacuum table and exhaust system to hold the wood in place and evacuate the smoke. The last system we purchased used was close to $20k.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by w0mbat
We looked at 3D printers but I can make a mold by hand faster than I can print and finish one on the current crop of 3D printers - and it's a lot less expensive. Of course if I had 5 printers at my disposal for free, it would be a different story! The molds are just a small part of the time it takes to get a kit ready for market and there are companies out there that will produce the mold and provide the plastic/fiberglass parts for a fraction more than we can make them for ourselves in small quantities. Producing the manual takes as long or longer than designing the plane in CAD. I assume you are going to have a manual with each kit?? How are you going to accomplish all of this in 60 days?

You do realize that if you do receive enough money to purchase a laser that you will need an additional $10,000.00 more for the materials just to produce the kits that you promised people? If you don't have enough money to purchase the laser, how are you going to get the money to buy the materials to produce the kits? Also, where are you going to find a large enough and powerful enough laser to cut that kind of kit for $9500.00? Not only do you need the laser but you will need a vacuum table and exhaust system to hold the wood in place and evacuate the smoke. The last system we purchased used was close to $20k.
You can make a mold faster than a 3D printer? I don't think that would be true even if the 3D printer takes two or three hours to print it. Besides, much less work for me and in the time the 3D printer is working I can be doing something else. Touche'. As far as the "manuals" go, most of what I am doing is DUPLICATING kits that have been long out of production, i.e. the Sterling kits and Royal kits, where the construction photos and plans and instructions already exist, and if I enlarge the airplane parts then the plans would be enlarged too. That's what I need the plotter for, so I don't have to pay FedEx office to do it for me. For example, some of the kits would be three or four times enlargements of the Guillows laser-cut kits, where I am aware that I would have to beef up the construction (more than normal expansion of the stringers and wing ribs, for example, to withstand the higher flight loads of the larger airplane), so everything is already done, and Guillows doesn't care, as it is not competing with their smaller kits, and may even generate more sales of their smaller kits with advertising, as some of my customers may not even be aware of the Guillows kits, which they would then end up buying for their kids. How long ago did you pay the 20K for a used laser cutter. As with all other technologies, the initial offerings are much more expensive, and the laser cutters nowadays are much less expensive than they used to be, with much more competition. Check out the Full Spectrum Laser from Colorado. Prices are not bad unless you get all kinds of options that are not necessary. Some of the machines from China are much less expensive, but you have to wait for them. They also have cooling systems and fume evacuation systems included, and methods to hold down the material.

My minimum $9,500 was based on Adrian Page's minimum $7,500 campaign, plus $2,000 for the plotter (I already have a 20-year old HP 36" wide black and white plotter, but it cannot print out PDF files, only from my CAD program, and cannot be made to run in Windows 7). If I only get the minimum $9,500, then it's $2,000 to go for the plotter, to print out plans, and the rest for materials and then I would have a local lady, about 15 miles from me, who has a "Helix" 60 watt cutter from Epilog laser in Golden, Colorado, do the laser cutting for me. She charges $100 per hour, but a lot can be cut in that time. She said at 42 watts she can cut 1/4 inch hardwood at "12" speed (I assume that means 12% speed). So, I can still put out the laser cut kits, and then do another Kickstarter campaing later to get my own cutter. So, if worse comes to worse, I can still get the laser-cut kits out. Also, for the plastic vacuum formed parts, I only need to do a 3D laser SCAN of the already existing plastic parts that I have, send them to the 3D printer, print them out at a larger size, then make silicone rubber molds off of, then pour high-temp casting material (from Alumilite) that is made FOR vacuum forming, into the rubber mold, and then have the high-temp capable plug to pull vacuum formed larger parts from. So, the whole development and manufacturing operation can take much less time than you think, especially if I hire one or two people, even on a part time basis, to help out.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:05 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Originally Posted by hook57
RCKen,

I don't believe this thread should be used for raising $$ to get a company started. After reading a number of posts on the 'Kickstarter' program, I have a very uneasy feeling. That is to avoid that guy and his plans completely.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 PM
pilotdude57

Originally Posted by hopkimf
RCKen,

I don't believe this thread should be used for raising $$ to get a company started. After reading a number of posts on the 'Kickstarter' program, I have a very uneasy feeling. That is to avoid that guy and his plans completely.
That is only good advice if you do not want a low-cost high-quality airplane or rocket kit, like you winning $100,000 in the lottery and then saying you don't want it.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM
pilotdude57

I just got a message from Hobbico to call them as they may be interested in having me produce the Pica laser-cut kits for them. I will call them tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:54 PM
w0mbat

You can make a mold faster than a 3D printer? I don't think that would be true even if the 3D printer takes two or three hours to print it. Besides, much less work for me and in the time the 3D printer is working I can be doing something else. Touche'. As far as the "manuals" go, most of what I am doing is DUPLICATING kits that have been long out of production, i.e. the Sterling kits and Royal kits, where the construction photos and plans and instructions already exist, and if I enlarge the airplane parts then the plans would be enlarged too. That's what I need the plotter for, so I don't have to pay FedEx office to do it for me. For example, some of the kits would be three or four times enlargements of the Guillows laser-cut kits, where I am aware that I would have to beef up the construction (more than normal expansion of the stringers and wing ribs, for example, to withstand the higher flight loads of the larger airplane), so everything is already done, and Guillows doesn't care, as it is not competing with their smaller kits, and may even generate more sales of their smaller kits with advertising, as some of my customers may not even be aware of the Guillows kits, which they would then end up buying for their kids. How long ago did you pay the 20K for a used laser cutter. As with all other technologies, the initial offerings are much more expensive, and the laser cutters nowadays are much less expensive than they used to be, with much more competition. Check out the Full Spectrum Laser from Colorado. Prices are not bad unless you get all kinds of options that are not necessary. Some of the machines from China are much less expensive, but you have to wait for them. They also have cooling systems and fume evacuation systems included, and methods to hold down the material.
Unless you are talking about million dollar 3d machines, most machines I have seen take much longer than 3 hours to make a plug for a 60" wingspan airplane. That doesn't include the hand finish time. If such printers were available inexpensively and were reliable, we would have them. To me, it looks like that technology will be cost effective for hobby use in about 5 years. Since I don't know what kind of printer your library has I can't make that determination. What printer does your library have?

Have you seen the instructions for Pica and Guillows kits? If you copy them and put them with your kits, not only will you have to do more technical support than you can handle, but you will probably have a lawsuit from both Guillows and Great Planes. You would spend more time on the phone giving technical support than you would making kits. We have photo illustrated manuals in our kits that average 30-40 pages and we spend 1-2 hours of technical support for almost every kit and ARF we sell.

I think you will find that the $7000.00 laser is not near powerful enough to cut the type of kits you are looking at, unless you don't plan on putting any ply in your kits or cutting the ply by hand. A 60 watt laser will cut approx. 1-3 .60 size mono wing kits per hour, depending on the amount of parts and lightning holes. It takes approximately 1.5 hours to cut one of our simpler 60 size kits with a 60 watt laser using balsa and baltic birch. 1/8" aircraft grade could be cut at 1.5% speed on that laser and if I remember correctly, Pica kits that size use aircraft ply.

Unless you are growing balsa trees in your backyard, you will still need to come up with $10,000.00 for the materials that you will need to make the reward kits. If you have that money already, why not just put it toward the laser cutter and start taking pre-orders for kits? Adrian Page probably has inventory from his past business already. The only thing he needed was the cutter, while you need absolutely everything to go into full on kit production.

I would love to have a Pica T-28 to replace the one I lost a couple years ago, but so far, I can see that this venture just doesn't have the proper planning or funding to succeed.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
r_adical

I just got a message from Hobbico to call them as they may be interested in having me produce the Pica laser-cut kits for them. I will call them tomorrow.

Keep digging that hole

I am pretty certain they don't work on sundays
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Zantero,

How cool would a Duelist 2/80 or 2/120 be?? I think it would be awesome!

PD do you think you would be able to scale up the Duelist 2/40 to one of the above listed sizes?

Craig.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.