Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What an Idiot!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrf
Not a problem. They get a complaint, they show up, they follow it home. It is more of a problem if you get some rookie who thinks that any remote controlled airplane is an "illegal drone" and tries to arrest you for flying a park flyer on your own property. It has already happened.
I guess that police department was lacking in training. If you live in a city it might not be too hard to find someone. I will give the local police here tons of credit if they can track someone flying long range BLOS FPV over hills and mountains. lol! you might want to google earth my location. It's all in good fun; the FAA will have the last word and only the responsible people will suffer.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Deball the moron

+1
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Rob2160

Flew into Essendon (Melbourne, Australia) yesterday and noticed the following NOTAMs (Notice to airmen).

Some people are playing by the rules.

NOTAMs

Q) YMMM/QWULW/IV/BO /AW /0/3/3749S14456E
A) YMEN
B) 14/07/24 04:19 C) 14/10/24 23:00
E) MULTIROTOR UAS OPS WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE DOCKLANDS AREA (APRX BRG 180 MAG 4NM FM AD) OPERATIONS WILL BE WI THE FOLLOWING COORDINATES: S37 48.5 E144 54.7 S37 48.6 E144 57.9 S37 49.4 E144 57.3 S37 49.2 E144 55.2 S37 48.5 E144 54.7 FOR MORE INFO CTC: 0407 805 288

Q) YMMM/QWULW/IV/BO /AW /0/4/3748S14457E
A) YMEN
B) 14/07/22 09:05 C) 14/08/15 07:00
D) HJ
E) UNMANNED MULTIROTOR (UAV) OPS WILL TAKE PLACE WI 200M RADIUS OF PSN S37 48.4 E144 57.7 (170 VICTORIA STREET CARLTON) APRX BRG 332 MAG 5NM FM AD PSN 120 MAG 0.7NM FM ROYAL MELBOURNE HOSPITAL (YRMH) PSN 030 MAG 1.1NM FM YARRA BANK (YYBK) CTC UAV CONTROLLER SHAYNE WHITELEY TEL: 0498 000 008

Last edited by Rob2160; 07-28-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:09 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What the multirotor pilot was doing is already illegal. It's already illegal to fly an RC model where full scale planes are operating. It's already illegal to endanger human life with any recreational toy, RC or otherwise. It's already illegal to interfere with firefighting efforts or any other emergency service. It doesn't really matter that it was a multirotor being flown with FPV equipment. The pilot is already guilty of several crimes because of this ridiculous stunt, and should be prosecuted accordingly.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 PM
WI53072

The FAA gets involved it will be like having a "hound dog" monitoring our every move!!! Of course they will need to deputize club member(s) to be their liaison's so they are sure no one breaks FAA rules!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM
cordell staker

Time for a Fire Sale of RC gear. The market just cratered.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

I say "GO FAA!!!" the AMA is taking a very subdued attitude to all the FPV out there in my opinion. I fully support the agency's intention to regulate the airspace from kooks like this. I would go further and say to ban the sale of FPV components to the average Joe. While very cool, FPV should be regulated to the extent of an FAA approved ground school, training and subsequent licensing. All of you who say otherwise are just another member of the ostrich clan. The AMA needs to issue a very strong rebuke of this type of FPV activity, at the very least.

Happy Flying
Loopman
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Loopman
I say "GO FAA!!!" the AMA is taking a very subdued attitude to all the FPV out there in my opinion. I fully support the agency's intention to regulate the airspace from kooks like this. I would go further and say to ban the sale of FPV components to the average Joe. While very cool, FPV should be regulated to the extent of an FAA approved ground school, training and subsequent licensing. All of you who say otherwise are just another member of the ostrich clan. The AMA needs to issue a very strong rebuke of this type of FPV activity, at the very least.

Happy Flying
Loopman
So if anyone else doesn't subscribe to your opinion then they are a member of the Ostrich Clan? Really?!?!?!?! Well, if you believe FPV should be regulated as you suggest then you are a member of the the hyper sensative, whinny, crybaby, lets @#$%@#$ ban everything, the sky is falling, our hobby is going to be ruined, save our children from every scrape, bump and bruise clan.

Our hobby is NOT going to be ruined by some idiots doing stupid things with BLOS FPV/FPV!!!! No one cares that you go fly your plane, jet, multirotor, helicopter, gyrocopter, etc at your club field! No one cares if you go to your local park when no one, or very few people are around and fly your small foamie responsibly. And no one, including the FAA is going to ban/regulate that anymore then it is now.

How about we ban sugar! It has killed more people than FPV ever will. How about alcohol? Domestic violence and murder comes to mind. I bet a majority on here believe Reefer Madness is a real documentary!!!!

So an FPV aircraft interfered with fire and rescue operations; isnt that illegal? Prosecute him. Isn't spying on people in their home illegal? Prosecute them. Isn't interfering and causing a safety issue with full scale aircraft illegal? So prosecute them. We don't need more laws/rules we need less!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 AM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike1974
So an FPV aircraft interfered with fire and rescue operations; isnt that illegal? Prosecute him. Isn't spying on people in their home illegal? Prosecute them. Isn't interfering and causing a safety issue with full scale aircraft illegal? So prosecute them. We don't need more laws/rules we need less!!!
I think you are missing a key point here. Government agencies "have" to continue to grow to protect us from ourselves. More to the point, the more rules they make, the more people they can hire and the more important they are. The FAA saw how the EPA has grown and are out to do the same. In case you hadn't noticed, logic has never impeded the growth of government.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 AM
Krumpel

It is indeed the idiots that will get us all regulated due to irresponsible behavior. Recently had a Jimmy Buffet outdoor concert here and a local well-heeled real estate jerk was flying his Phantom over the crowd and stage making himself a video. No thought to the safety of anyone should something go wrong. Does he know or care who the FAA is? No way. Does he know or care who the AMA is? Nope. Rules for flying model aircraft? What rules? He don't need no steenking rools!!!

Yet these idiots will get us all regulated to death instead of just enforcing the existing rules and regulations.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
I think you are missing a key point here. Government agencies "have" to continue to grow to protect us from ourselves. More to the point, the more rules they make, the more people they can hire and the more important they are. The FAA saw how the EPA has grown and are out to do the same. In case you hadn't noticed, logic has never impeded the growth of government.
You sir, in my opinion, win the gold star for awesome post!!!! You are 10000% correct!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 AM
airzona

Amen brother!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

News said authorities made him land it and that he was not cited. Should have thrown the idiot and his quad copter under the jail.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

The media! Now there is a case of the blind leading the blind.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM
crtmmac
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, Yes, Yes. Idiots like this do ruin it for the 99.999% of responsible RC flyers. But, I think the FAA needs to realise that idiots drive cars and cause harm, idiots fly full scale and cause harm (YouTube is full of them), but cars and fullscale planes are not banned. I think, also, the FAA need to understand the difference between model aircraft. Technically speaking a paper dart is a model aircraft. But more to the point, a fixed wing plane cannot do what a quad can do, for example. Not all model aircraft are the same. So, in the interests of safety and security, I think some regulation is OK, if it is sensible. But I do agree with the writer who suggested castration for this quad moron.

It reminds me of a few decades ago in Boston, MA when a kid with a Super-Soaker "shot" another kid in fun. The other kid pulled out a hand gun and killed the Super-Soaker kid. The result??? The Boston Mayor at the time took the brilliant idea to ban all--------Super-Soakers. Guess what that did to the number of dead kids per year in Boston? Absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the vent
Old 07-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the article has enough information to be sure he was a moron. Possibly ignorant of TFR's, but it isn't clear to me that non Presidential TFR's have to be followed by model aircraft or sUAV. These get their authority from Part 91 and part 91 says it applies to all people on board the aircraft, so if no people on board it applies to nobody. Also last March an NTSB judge threw out a case against Pirker and said that the FAA regulations were not applicable to model airplanes.

On a common sense side the NOTAMS are listed on sites intended for certified pilots and often in shorthand only understood by certified pilots. The name is short for Notice to Airmen, implying they are for certified pilots. So I do not think this is enough notification for a common layman who just bought his expensive multi copter from Hobby King. Stupid yes, but the stupidity is not borne by just the drone pilot.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
JSamJr

Looks like he was flying near Renwood Winery, from Deaver Pond on Steiner Road, about 1.5 miles south the fire that day.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Airplanes400
I don't see a problem here ... Just have one of the pilots operating the water tank to drop about 30,000 gallons of water on top of the bleeping drone, or douse it with powdered fire retardant.
Could not second this suggestion quick enough ! Would love to see this happen.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by porcia83
This is a great example of how the use of this technology can be helpful to the public. Both fire and LE agencies could benefit from this tremendously. I believe it won't be hard for either type of agency to get waivers for this in the future. Some probably are looking into that now. Certainly the fire folks can put this to good use, much cheaper and faster response times than helis and planes. On the LE side, the main concern there would be privacy and improper search/seizure issues. I could see some benefit in crowd control, search and rescue etc.
You think some idiot with a quad would be better than, say, a Forest service heli?

CR
Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

stupid! × 1000 = moron .
Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Regarding porcia83's comment, sure. Multi rotor aircraft could contribute a lot to various safety efforts, provide they are part of a coordinated and strategic plan of action. But this guy was just being a goon, endangering lives and impeding a very time sensitive operation.

I'm generally annoyed at the current trend in society of people thinking they need to photograph everything under the sun. You can't go to a concert, show, kids' performance, or restaurant without seeing people everywhere with their phones out capturing every moment. Wedding photographers can't get good pictures of the crowd because there is at least one self-absorbed moron with a phone or Ipad held aloft. The multi rotor craze, as I see it, is part of the obsessive photography craze. This guy just had to have his own photos and video of the wildfire and aircraft fighting it to show off on Facebook. I truly hope this is a fad that dies out soon because it's annoying everywhere you go.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:12 AM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Flew into Essendon (Melbourne, Australia) yesterday and noticed the following NOTAMs (Notice to airmen).

Some people are playing by the rules.

NOTAMs

Q) YMMM/QWULW/IV/BO /AW /0/3/3749S14456E
A) YMEN
B) 14/07/24 04:19 C) 14/10/24 23:00
E) MULTIROTOR UAS OPS WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE DOCKLANDS AREA (APRX BRG 180 MAG 4NM FM AD) OPERATIONS WILL BE WI THE FOLLOWING COORDINATES: S37 48.5 E144 54.7 S37 48.6 E144 57.9 S37 49.4 E144 57.3 S37 49.2 E144 55.2 S37 48.5 E144 54.7 FOR MORE INFO CTC: 0407 805 288

Q) YMMM/QWULW/IV/BO /AW /0/4/3748S14457E
A) YMEN
B) 14/07/22 09:05 C) 14/08/15 07:00
D) HJ
E) UNMANNED MULTIROTOR (UAV) OPS WILL TAKE PLACE WI 200M RADIUS OF PSN S37 48.4 E144 57.7 (170 VICTORIA STREET CARLTON) APRX BRG 332 MAG 5NM FM AD PSN 120 MAG 0.7NM FM ROYAL MELBOURNE HOSPITAL (YRMH) PSN 030 MAG 1.1NM FM YARRA BANK (YYBK) CTC UAV CONTROLLER SHAYNE WHITELEY TEL: 0498 000 008
Thats what happens when Commonsense breaks out on all sides of the fence.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 AM
jgracco

Wow am I the only one that does not see the issue here. Actually this is darn good video. Seems to me that with video coverage like this that this poses a liability issue for the folks below if something were not being done properly. Otherwise why get all huffy over this. yeah the FAA might issue a mandate.. go ahead and try and enforce it..sure.. This is like trying to illegalize camera phones in court rooms when they first came out.. sure keep dreaming.. These copters are here and people will use them regardless.

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 AM
308jockey

I have to agree that the video is pretty good and demonstrates how much good can be gained from the use of these craft. It also demonstrates a monumental lack of good sense. Had this pilot coordinated his efforts with firefighters he might have provided a ton of good information to them and maybe saved some property or even lives. Going it alone as he did though resulted in no useful information and endangered both lives and property. Inexcusable. Those who think the AMA needs to distance themselves from FPV really do have their heads in the sand. They are here, they are worldwide and are only going to get more common. If AMA stays out of this issue it is going to find itself marginalized more than it currently is. There are already more non-member pilots out there than fliers who are also AMA members. I don't need and won't tolerate the FAA interfering in my modeling activity. I've been doing it most of my life and won't put up with regulation by people who know nothing about it and are responding to hysteria and are making a power grab yet again. I'll fly as I always have which includes staying the hell away from populated areas and not doing something this stupid that causes problems for emergency responders. I am told that the local university is planning a video production at the first home game that is going to have to involve the use of multicopters in both day and night ops and over crowded areas including a packed stadium. FPV will be used without a doubt. What does that say to guys who fly over cities and fires and anywhere else they please? The FAA is missing the point and I've come to expect that. I had hoped for better here.

Rick H.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by 308jockey

I am told that the local university is planning a video production at the first home game that is going to have to involve the use of multicopters in both day and night ops and over crowded areas including a packed stadium. FPV will be used without a doubt. What does that say to guys who fly over cities and fires and anywhere else they please? The FAA is missing the point and I've come to expect that. I had hoped for better here.Rick H.
Makes on wonder if the university understands the liability. Maybe you should make a 'phone call.

CR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.