Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What an Idiot!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgracco
Wow am I the only one that does not see the issue here. Actually this is darn good video. Seems to me that with video coverage like this that this poses a liability issue for the folks below if something were not being done properly. Otherwise why get all huffy over this. yeah the FAA might issue a mandate.. go ahead and try and enforce it..sure.. This is like trying to illegalize camera phones in court rooms when they first came out.. sure keep dreaming.. These copters are here and people will use them regardless.
I looked this guy up. He's a TROLL in my opinion.

CR
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Charley
Makes on wonder if the university understands the liability. Maybe you should make a 'phone call.

CR
Send them this video.

Or this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTlFk0IZ6VY

Last edited by Rob2160; 07-31-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 AM
jymz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/crashed-drone-...-004457638.htm

It won't be long before all rc gets banned because of this type of activity.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This vid you posted isn't the one I saw that stopped air action. This is miles away. The one I saw was a guy right in the fires. They needed to catch him and cut his fingers off. These idiots are going to ruin it for all of us.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM
jelge

Originally Posted by mike1974
Not in denial at all and I think they will ban BLOS. But I also don't believe our whole hobby is in danger and I most certainly think FPV is part of our hobby. I agree with the AMA in supporting FPV. I can also assure you that BLOS FPV will continue even after they ban it, if that is in fact the outcome.
You have to keep a careful eye on the government. Nearly 20 years ago we had a guy show up at our flying field with, what was then a rarity, an electric powered airplane. Something went wrong and it caught fire in flight and crashed in the brush. The modelers quickly called the fire department who promptly showed up and extinguished the fire. Unfortunately, not long after they left, the fire flared up again and very nearly got out of control. The local government's response? BAN ALL RC MODELS WITH AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE!!! Thankfully it did not last long but only because we had some well connected fliers who used the field and were able to convince those who imposed the ban they were more than a little mixed up.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
jelge

Originally Posted by FLYBOY
This vid you posted isn't the one I saw that stopped air action. This is miles away. The one I saw was a guy right in the fires. They needed to catch him and cut his fingers off. These idiots are going to ruin it for all of us.
I saw a fax the other day about a man in Illinois using his RC aircraft (an Extra with 5+ foot wingspan) to harass a helicopter working near his home. He admitted to the harassment claiming he knowingly flew above 400 feet attempting to drive the helicopter out of the area. The article said the FAA is seeking to prosecute the RC pilot. I sincerely hope they throw him under the jail.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ya can't cure stupid!
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Smart

"ANGOLA, Ind. - A northern Indiana county is using a drone to capture the area's beauty and promote tourism.

The Herald Republican reports the Steuben County Tourism Bureau has hired contractor Chris Sanchez to create aerial video productions of attractions including Pokagon State Park over 12 months.

Tourism bureau Executive Director June Julien says she thinks it's the first time an Indiana tourism agency has used a drone.

Sanchez started filming in July. He uses a drone with a camera that shoots high-resolution video from about 125 feet in the air.

Sanchez says he gets permission before flying over private areas and seldom flies directly over people.

Federal Aviation Administration rules prevent Sanchez from being paid for the video obtained by the drone. The tourism bureau will pay him $7,000 to edit it.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"
Old 08-17-2014, 04:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya...that's not going to end up so well for them.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM
G0ldengoose

Originally Posted by 308jockey
Had this pilot coordinated his efforts with firefighters he might have provided a ton of good information to them and maybe saved some property or even lives.
I really like this idea. but can you imagine trying to get it set up; especially considering it would be an emergency situation going on - would they even listen to a civilian trying to help or just "sir please let the professionals handle this situation".