Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What an Idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
In this country, we have government by the media. They will completely ignore those of us who are responsible flyers and focus on the idiots. The government agencies respond to that.

There's a saying "One "Oh Sh%t" wipes out a thousand "Atta-Boys.""
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

And yet the AMA is fighting to preserve FPV as a legitimate part of the Model Airplane hobby. If we are going to save our hobby, we are going to have to cut the FPV out of the mix. Let the AMA know that our only chance is to deny that a vehicle flown FPV is a "model airplane", or else our model airplanes are going to be covered by the same rules as FPV. (Certified equipment, licensed pilots and Air Traffic Control.)

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 07-28-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is money to be made with these multi rotors. some jobs can net you 1500-1800 dollars an hour. If some one not in the hobby goes and buys one of these to do this will not know anything about the impacts. putting rules on us is unfair. my solution is to have the people selling these multi rotors regulate who they sell to. To buy a multi rotor that is camera capable you should have a state run class. this class can be a short half day class where they teach you the rules on how to fly these and with the when and where stuff. Once you complete it you sign a training certificate which allows you to buy the equipment. The class should be free or very cheap.

now these idiots are more informed and the state now has proof that you were trained and if they disobey that then there should be very hefty fines or even jail time.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by jrf
And yet the AMA is fighting to preserve FPV as a legitimate part of the Model Aircraft hobby. If we are going to save our hobby, we are going to have to cut the FPV out of the mix. Let the AMA know that our only chance is to deny that a vehicle flown FPV is a "model aircraft", or else our model aircrafts are going to be covered by the same rules as FPV. (Certified equipment, licensed pilots and Air Traffic Control.)

Jim
Fixed your post for ya! Not sure why so many poeple don'/can't see FPV as part of the Aeromodeling Hobby. Remember it's the "idiots" flying rogue that should concern you, not the responsible person getting enjoyment out of flying their quad/hex/airplane/helicopter FPV.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:37 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrf
And yet the AMA is fighting to preserve FPV as a legitimate part of the Model Airplane hobby. If we are going to save our hobby, we are going to have to cut the FPV out of the mix. Let the AMA know that our only chance is to deny that a vehicle flown FPV is a "model airplane", or else our model airplanes are going to be covered by the same rules as FPV. (Certified equipment, licensed pilots and Air Traffic Control.)

Jim
But then Jim, we will fly with a 500' FLOOR, not the 400' ceiling

+1 on your post by the way.

Jerry
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I find the photos of a nearby helicopter and of flying over a crowded football field to be bothersome. I wrote a letter to AMA.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM
jrf

Originally Posted by mike1974
Fixed your post for ya! Not sure why so many poeple don'/can't see FPV as part of the Aeromodeling Hobby. Remember it's the "idiots" flying rogue that should concern you, not the responsible person getting enjoyment out of flying their quad/hex/airplane/helicopter FPV.
Restrictive rules are made to control the "idiots", but unfortunately, they cover the "responsible person" as well. You seem to be in denial, but I assure you, FPV flight beyond the pilots unaided line of sight is going to be controlled by the FAA. What we need to do now is try to avoid having the same rules cover traditional line of sight model flight as well.

Jim
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of like gun control, millions of gun owners did not kill anyone today but the one who did will bring down hammer. I noticed that all the inet vendors like Hking and Hpeople are having quad/fpv sales like crazy, like vultures sensing a kill.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Timeflys

Common sense is not that common. As far I am concerned we as a hobby have had no problems till these " drones " came into the picture and I have been flying more than 30 years. Now we are in deep s--t because of these. ANY ONE flying these " drones" should have to get a license and put their license # on it. I do AP and fly all different kinds of RC, but all most all of us had to learn to fly with the help of other responsible people. Now you can just go and buy one of these and in one hour with no training be flying higher than we can see.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by jrf
Restrictive rules are made to control the "idiots", but unfortunately, they cover the "responsible person" as well. You seem to be in denial, but I assure you, FPV flight beyond the pilots unaided line of sight is going to be controlled by the FAA. What we need to do now is try to avoid having the same rules cover traditional line of sight model flight as well.

Jim
Not in denial at all and I think they will ban BLOS. But I also don't believe our whole hobby is in danger and I most certainly think FPV is part of our hobby. I agree with the AMA in supporting FPV. I can also assure you that BLOS FPV will continue even after they ban it, if that is in fact the outcome.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont know if this is the same idiot,,,but found a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4prnFHbQ18
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that RC Pilots had to get an FCC license way back when, seem like even CB users were required to as well. I'm talking late 1960's here.

Maybe FPV should be licensed in the same manner, kind of like Amateur Radio. Learn the rules & fly by the rules or face a federal offense.

The AMA could conduct the class and administer the test like the HAM guys.

I'm sure the FAA would prefer that route over regulating all model aviation.

Control line quad copters would be exempt.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to get fed up with aviation safety officers scared of their own shadows. I would have manned up and flown the water drop missions anyway. Before you hit the flame keys, I flew around worse stuff almost every day.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 PM
jrf

I can also assure you that BLOS FPV will continue even after they ban it, if that is in fact the outcome.
Thereby removing yourself from the "responsible person" category.

You might also note that FAA is delegating responsibility for enforcement of it's UAV rules to your local police department.

Last edited by jrf; 07-28-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
RCAIR
My Feedback: (43)

Sorry I think it is going to come down to anyone that wants to fly FPV/Drones, or unmanned aircraft will need to be licensed and insured. The way some videos I have seen had to have been made can and does pose a threat to people and property. Too many people go to a store or online and purchase equipment then just go fly. I think some people do not take this seriously. They just want to go have fun. We all know some of the RC aircraft we fly could and can be very dangerous and can even cause death.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by cublover
dont know if this is the same idiot,,,but found a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4prnFHbQ18
Not the same guy. Read the comments. Still, this would give more ammo to those wanting to ban all "drones" and probably extend it to our hobbyist fixed-wing R/C. Hmm, I wonder if I can still fly C/L?

Article in the Wall Street Journal today about schools trying to teach drone flying having to use simulators or tie the drone to the ground with a rope!
http://online.wsj.com/articles/there...tions_business
Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by collector1231
Great. I have a feeling the FAA and all those other people will now regulate where we can and can't fly...
Get it thru your head - they already do by telling you where you cannot fly.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I don't think getting mad @ the FAA will help anyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsaWC5-eJ2E
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by airraptor
There is money to be made with these multi rotors. some jobs can net you 1500-1800 dollars an hour. If some one not in the hobby goes and buys one of these to do this will not know anything about the impacts. putting rules on us is unfair. my solution is to have the people selling these multi rotors regulate who they sell to. To buy a multi rotor that is camera capable you should have a state run class. this class can be a short half day class where they teach you the rules on how to fly these and with the when and where stuff. Once you complete it you sign a training certificate which allows you to buy the equipment. The class should be free or very cheap.

now these idiots are more informed and the state now has proof that you were trained and if they disobey that then there should be very hefty fines or even jail time.
Therein lies the problem. The main exception for a hobby is that WE CAN'T MAKE MONEY AT IT. That is precisely why the commercial drone companies (manufacturers and users) are pushing so hard for regulations against our hobby - they don't have those hobby exceptions.
It's like if you wanted to add a 220 volt drier outlet in your garage. Anyone can go down to Home Depot and buy the outlet, wire and circuit breaker and assuming the breaker box is readily available can easily add that outlet. But if you get caught doing it you'll have the government down on your neck so fast your head will spin.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vasek
i don't think getting mad @ the faa will help anyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsawc5-ej2e
ha ha......
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
abelard

Originally Posted by 049flyer
I seem to remember that RC Pilots had to get an FCC license way back when
That was a radio spectrum issue, not a safety issue. There were no frequencies allocated for R/C, so modelers had to use the ham bands.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Control line? I also wonder about less than that with what the FAA has said. Think about it, any model aircraft flight has to be reported to FAA if within 5 miles of an airport. Isn't a kid throwing a balsa glider from the dime store in his back yard flying a model aircraft? (Okay, I might be an old fa*t and I might not know where balsa gliders are available any more, but throwing a glider is a model aircraft flight, isn't it?) Do they want to be called before every one of these? What about paper airplanes? What about flying a micro airplane in my living room? It's a model aircraft, it's flying and the new regs don't say that it has to be outdoors. Do I have to warn them every time I fly a 0.5 gram ministick in my living room?

Where are the lines?

Dave
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by jrf
Thereby removing yourself from the "responsible person" category.

You might also note that FAA is delegating responsibility for enforcement of it's UAV rules to your local police department.
Just to be clear, I don't fly FPV. I wish my local PD all the best of luck enforcing BLOS FPV. lol!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM
mike1974

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Therein lies the problem. The main exception for a hobby is that WE CAN'T MAKE MONEY AT IT. That is precisely why the commercial drone companies (manufacturers and users) are pushing so hard for regulations against our hobby - they don't have those hobby exceptions.
It's like if you wanted to add a 220 volt drier outlet in your garage. Anyone can go down to Home Depot and buy the outlet, wire and circuit breaker and assuming the breaker box is readily available can easily add that outlet. But if you get caught doing it you'll have the government down on your neck so fast your head will spin.
Those darn do it yourselfers; always up to no good! How dare they wire a circuit without government approval! Off with their heads!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:14 PM
jrf

I wish my local PD all the best of luck enforcing BLOS FPV. lol!!!
Not a problem. They get a complaint, they show up, they follow it home. It is more of a problem if you get some rookie who thinks that any remote controlled airplane is an "illegal drone" and tries to arrest you for flying a park flyer on your own property. It has already happened.

Last edited by jrf; 07-28-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.