Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What an Idiot!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Angry What an Idiot!

Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
    RC_Fanatic -- Club Saito member #807

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
    Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
    Got a link to back this up??
    Freedom Isn\'\'t Free
    USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
    Tiger Club #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    Got a link to back this up??
    http://www.capradio.org/articles/201...ill-evacuated/

"
    Update: 11:53 a.m.:
    The air attack on the Sand Fire has resumed following a short delay due to reports of a drone flying in the area. Officials stopped the aerial water and fire retardant drops on the fire for safety concerns after a video appeared on YouTube showing the fire from above.
    The operator of the remote-controlled helicopter was contacted, and the all-clear was given, according to updates on Twitter from fire officials."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    10 homes destroyed, fire raging out of control and they STOP because of a cheap R/C drone?
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That cheap r/c drone, in the right spot, can bring down the real aircraft. This type of activity is "exactly" why the FAA is going to implement some rules regarding "all" toy aircraft. And as with most laws it is the law abiding citizen that pays the price.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    To bad they did not say who the idiot is.
    Freedom Isn\'\'t Free
    USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
    Tiger Club #61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by tailskid View Post
    10 homes destroyed, fire raging out of control and they STOP because of a cheap R/C drone?
    If you look at the video, this was definitely not a $99 quad-copter from Tower. It was obviously FPV with more than one camera. Can you imagine what one of these sucked into the engine of the DC-10 water bomber would do? Yes, that "cheap R/C drone" could bring down a multi-million-dollar plane and kill the crew. Also, at one point in the video, you can hear a helicopter very close to the drone. Comments like yours show why we are going to lose the right to fly our planes.

Quote Originally Posted by acerc View Post
    That cheap r/c drone, in the right spot, can bring down the real aircraft. This type of activity is "exactly" why the FAA is going to implement some rules regarding "all" toy aircraft. And as with most laws it is the law abiding citizen that pays the price.
    You are absolutely correct. What a lot of non-aviation types do not understand is a cheap drone can kill a pilot and/or those unfortunate enough to be at the crash site. Small birds damage aircraft nearly every day, large birds have brought down aircraft, even airliners. Cheap drones have more mass than a small bird plus steel parts to help penetrate into an aircraft. It seems like I see new report about drones and/or RC aircraft being places they do not belong 2 or 3 times a week and I am not even looking for the stories. I work in aviation so my normal reading habits have me reading magazines, emails and news sources where something like shutting down aerial fire fighting or having an R/C camera platform close enough for a pilot to identify the make and model is big news.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Deball the moron
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The desire for a minute of fame on youtube causes the simple minded to suspend common sense. Many others are terminally stupid. Unfortunately these types ruin things for all of us and rarely pay any price for their behavior.
    I fly aircraft at the leading edge of trailing edge technology!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jelge View Post
    You are absolutely correct. What a lot of non-aviation types do not understand is a cheap drone can kill a pilot and/or those unfortunate enough to be at the crash site. Small birds damage aircraft nearly every day, large birds have brought down aircraft, even airliners. Cheap drones have more mass than a small bird plus steel parts to help penetrate into an aircraft. It seems like I see new report about drones and/or RC aircraft being places they do not belong 2 or 3 times a week and I am not even looking for the stories. I work in aviation so my normal reading habits have me reading magazines, emails and news sources where something like shutting down aerial fire fighting or having an R/C camera platform close enough for a pilot to identify the make and model is big news.

Jeff
    I once saw a small pillow break a prop. The story, a Cub had taken off about ten minutes before a small Cessna. The cub had it's door open on take off, in which a small pillow flew out. The pillow was the pilots added padding he placed once airborn, why then I don't know. But ten minutes later the Cessna was taking off and the pillow came into contact with the prop, the (I assume) resistance caused the prop to crack, in which the pilot apparently felt or something. He immediately powered down and came back in, inspected the prop and thus seeing the crack. Most people do not realize just how fragile aircraft are, including most r/c'ers.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you look at the video, this was definitely not a $99 quad-copter from Tower. It was obviously FPV with more than one camera. Can you imagine what one of these sucked into the engine of the DC-10 water bomber would do? Yes, that "cheap R/C drone" could bring down a multi-million-dollar plane and kill the crew. Also, at one point in the video, you can hear a helicopter very close to the drone. Comments like yours show why we are going to lose the right to fly our planes.
    Perhaps I should have said a 'relatively cheap' as compared to 10 homes! I could care less if it was a $10,000 drone....10 homes puts things in perspective IMHO.
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Great. I have a feeling the FAA and all those other people will now regulate where we can and can't fly...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't see a problem here ... Just have one of the pilots operating the water tank to drop about 30,000 gallons of water on top of the bleeping drone, or douse it with powdered fire retardant.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There would have been a TFR in the area.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by crustychief View Post
    There would have been a TFR in the area.
    There is. But some people are either too stupid to realize they should check or don't think they need to follow the rules. "Common sense" (sadly something lacking in many) would say you should not be flying anything in that area that is not part of the fire-fighting effort, and if it is, it would be under close control of Air Command.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It wouldn't fare well near the main fire...winds and heat would crisp it up in short order. The guy's clueless...matching up a soundtrack to go with his little adventure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Want to know who the idiot is? Here you go:https://www.facebook.com/jason.bross...=browse_search

Go to this page and post what you think about his little stunt. I DID!
    AMA #386

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The FAA needs to get thier heads out of thier butts and realize this jerk Jason Bross is NOT part of the RC community, but nothing more than a jerk trying to get 15 minutes of fame
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
    The desire for a minute of fame on youtube causes the simple minded to suspend common sense. Many others are terminally stupid. Unfortunately these types ruin things for all of us and rarely pay any price for their behavior.
    These comments need to be posted on youtube so the idiot will see them. And those who think it's a cool video may think otherwise..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I put a nasty gram on his facebook page and recommend everyone else to do the same. The more the idiot is "spoken" to the more evidence there is to show that the rc community does not support his behavior!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmichael View Post
    I put a nasty gram on his facebook page and recommend everyone else to do the same. The more the idiot is "spoken" to the more evidence there is to show that the rc community does not support his behavior!
    Don't know that leaving "nastygrams" on his page, and suggesting that others pile on will do anything. Inciting that kind of response might not be the best way to go, and could encourage worse. He's probably been visited by LE, or at this point popped up on the feds radar. If someone puts a video up and asks for comments, then I think it's fair game. Show the hobby, and responsible hobbyists in the best light possible.

Saw two videos this week on LiveLeak, one from a guy down under who was up about 300 meters, over a high rise, then zoomed down along the beach. The second one was a guy in CA, Huntington Beach actually, showing off his new totally beyotching Phantom with a gimball....over 7 minutes of video over cars, and people at the beach. In that case he asked for comments, and got 'em. Doubt he expected what people left.

He bragged about how good business had been, and was taking suggestions on what kind of vids to get on Los Angeles. It's doubtful either of them belonged to any RC association, be it local or national. More fodder for those that want to control the hobby.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureboy View Post
    Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
    Very valid point, raptureboy
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This is a great example of how the use of this technology can be helpful to the public. Both fire and LE agencies could benefit from this tremendously. I believe it won't be hard for either type of agency to get waivers for this in the future. Some probably are looking into that now. Certainly the fire folks can put this to good use, much cheaper and faster response times than helis and planes. On the LE side, the main concern there would be privacy and improper search/seizure issues. I could see some benefit in crowd control, search and rescue etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast