Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85

Thread: What an Idiot!


  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sutter Creek, CA
    Posts
    795
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

    Angry What an Idiot!

    Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
    RC_Fanatic -- Club Saito member #807

  2. #2
    warningshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hobby King front door OK
    Posts
    406
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
    Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
    Got a link to back this up??
    Freedom Isn\'\'t Free
    USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
    Tiger Club #61

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sutter Creek, CA
    Posts
    795
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by warningshot View Post
    Got a link to back this up??
    http://www.capradio.org/articles/201...ill-evacuated/

    "
    Update: 11:53 a.m.:
    The air attack on the Sand Fire has resumed following a short delay due to reports of a drone flying in the area. Officials stopped the aerial water and fire retardant drops on the fire for safety concerns after a video appeared on YouTube showing the fire from above.
    The operator of the remote-controlled helicopter was contacted, and the all-clear was given, according to updates on Twitter from fire officials."
    RC_Fanatic -- Club Saito member #807

  4. #4
    tailskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Tolleson, AZ
    Posts
    8,015
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    10 homes destroyed, fire raging out of control and they STOP because of a cheap R/C drone?
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

  5. #5
    acerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lithia, Fl
    Posts
    6,114
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That cheap r/c drone, in the right spot, can bring down the real aircraft. This type of activity is "exactly" why the FAA is going to implement some rules regarding "all" toy aircraft. And as with most laws it is the law abiding citizen that pays the price.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

  6. #6
    warningshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hobby King front door OK
    Posts
    406
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    To bad they did not say who the idiot is.
    Freedom Isn\'\'t Free
    USAF (Ret) 1961-1981
    Tiger Club #61

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sutter Creek, CA
    Posts
    795
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by tailskid View Post
    10 homes destroyed, fire raging out of control and they STOP because of a cheap R/C drone?
    If you look at the video, this was definitely not a $99 quad-copter from Tower. It was obviously FPV with more than one camera. Can you imagine what one of these sucked into the engine of the DC-10 water bomber would do? Yes, that "cheap R/C drone" could bring down a multi-million-dollar plane and kill the crew. Also, at one point in the video, you can hear a helicopter very close to the drone. Comments like yours show why we are going to lose the right to fly our planes.
    RC_Fanatic -- Club Saito member #807

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by acerc View Post
    That cheap r/c drone, in the right spot, can bring down the real aircraft. This type of activity is "exactly" why the FAA is going to implement some rules regarding "all" toy aircraft. And as with most laws it is the law abiding citizen that pays the price.
    You are absolutely correct. What a lot of non-aviation types do not understand is a cheap drone can kill a pilot and/or those unfortunate enough to be at the crash site. Small birds damage aircraft nearly every day, large birds have brought down aircraft, even airliners. Cheap drones have more mass than a small bird plus steel parts to help penetrate into an aircraft. It seems like I see new report about drones and/or RC aircraft being places they do not belong 2 or 3 times a week and I am not even looking for the stories. I work in aviation so my normal reading habits have me reading magazines, emails and news sources where something like shutting down aerial fire fighting or having an R/C camera platform close enough for a pilot to identify the make and model is big news.

    Jeff

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    san diego, CA
    Posts
    1,674
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Deball the moron
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tyler, TX
    Posts
    734
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The desire for a minute of fame on youtube causes the simple minded to suspend common sense. Many others are terminally stupid. Unfortunately these types ruin things for all of us and rarely pay any price for their behavior.
    I fly aircraft at the leading edge of trailing edge technology!

  11. #11
    acerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lithia, Fl
    Posts
    6,114
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by jelge View Post
    You are absolutely correct. What a lot of non-aviation types do not understand is a cheap drone can kill a pilot and/or those unfortunate enough to be at the crash site. Small birds damage aircraft nearly every day, large birds have brought down aircraft, even airliners. Cheap drones have more mass than a small bird plus steel parts to help penetrate into an aircraft. It seems like I see new report about drones and/or RC aircraft being places they do not belong 2 or 3 times a week and I am not even looking for the stories. I work in aviation so my normal reading habits have me reading magazines, emails and news sources where something like shutting down aerial fire fighting or having an R/C camera platform close enough for a pilot to identify the make and model is big news.

    Jeff
    I once saw a small pillow break a prop. The story, a Cub had taken off about ten minutes before a small Cessna. The cub had it's door open on take off, in which a small pillow flew out. The pillow was the pilots added padding he placed once airborn, why then I don't know. But ten minutes later the Cessna was taking off and the pillow came into contact with the prop, the (I assume) resistance caused the prop to crack, in which the pilot apparently felt or something. He immediately powered down and came back in, inspected the prop and thus seeing the crack. Most people do not realize just how fragile aircraft are, including most r/c'ers.
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

  12. #12
    tailskid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Tolleson, AZ
    Posts
    8,015
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
    If you look at the video, this was definitely not a $99 quad-copter from Tower. It was obviously FPV with more than one camera. Can you imagine what one of these sucked into the engine of the DC-10 water bomber would do? Yes, that "cheap R/C drone" could bring down a multi-million-dollar plane and kill the crew. Also, at one point in the video, you can hear a helicopter very close to the drone. Comments like yours show why we are going to lose the right to fly our planes.
    Perhaps I should have said a 'relatively cheap' as compared to 10 homes! I could care less if it was a $10,000 drone....10 homes puts things in perspective IMHO.
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

  13. #13
    collector1231's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A place in a place.
    Posts
    2,343
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Great. I have a feeling the FAA and all those other people will now regulate where we can and can't fly...

  14. #14
    Airplanes400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,631
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't see a problem here ... Just have one of the pilots operating the water tank to drop about 30,000 gallons of water on top of the bleeping drone, or douse it with powdered fire retardant.
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    san diego, CA
    Posts
    154
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There would have been a TFR in the area.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sutter Creek, CA
    Posts
    795
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by crustychief View Post
    There would have been a TFR in the area.
    There is. But some people are either too stupid to realize they should check or don't think they need to follow the rules. "Common sense" (sadly something lacking in many) would say you should not be flying anything in that area that is not part of the fire-fighting effort, and if it is, it would be under close control of Air Command.
    RC_Fanatic -- Club Saito member #807

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sun City, AZ
    Posts
    245
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It wouldn't fare well near the main fire...winds and heat would crisp it up in short order. The guy's clueless...matching up a soundtrack to go with his little adventure.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Advance, NC
    Posts
    439
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Want to know who the idiot is? Here you go:https://www.facebook.com/jason.bross...=browse_search

    Go to this page and post what you think about his little stunt. I DID!
    AMA #386

  19. #19
    airega1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Va Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,086
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
    Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
    The FAA needs to get thier heads out of thier butts and realize this jerk Jason Bross is NOT part of the RC community, but nothing more than a jerk trying to get 15 minutes of fame
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

  20. #20
    rgburrill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    884
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
    The desire for a minute of fame on youtube causes the simple minded to suspend common sense. Many others are terminally stupid. Unfortunately these types ruin things for all of us and rarely pay any price for their behavior.
    These comments need to be posted on youtube so the idiot will see them. And those who think it's a cool video may think otherwise..

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    greeley, CO
    Posts
    107
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I put a nasty gram on his facebook page and recommend everyone else to do the same. The more the idiot is "spoken" to the more evidence there is to show that the rc community does not support his behavior!

  22. #22
    raptureboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kempton, Pa PA
    Posts
    1,987
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

    "You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Posts
    232
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmichael View Post
    I put a nasty gram on his facebook page and recommend everyone else to do the same. The more the idiot is "spoken" to the more evidence there is to show that the rc community does not support his behavior!
    Don't know that leaving "nastygrams" on his page, and suggesting that others pile on will do anything. Inciting that kind of response might not be the best way to go, and could encourage worse. He's probably been visited by LE, or at this point popped up on the feds radar. If someone puts a video up and asks for comments, then I think it's fair game. Show the hobby, and responsible hobbyists in the best light possible.

    Saw two videos this week on LiveLeak, one from a guy down under who was up about 300 meters, over a high rise, then zoomed down along the beach. The second one was a guy in CA, Huntington Beach actually, showing off his new totally beyotching Phantom with a gimball....over 7 minutes of video over cars, and people at the beach. In that case he asked for comments, and got 'em. Doubt he expected what people left.

    He bragged about how good business had been, and was taking suggestions on what kind of vids to get on Los Angeles. It's doubtful either of them belonged to any RC association, be it local or national. More fodder for those that want to control the hobby.

  24. #24
    airega1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Va Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,086
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureboy View Post
    Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
    Very valid point, raptureboy
    RED RIGHT RETURN!

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Posts
    232
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
    Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
    This is a great example of how the use of this technology can be helpful to the public. Both fire and LE agencies could benefit from this tremendously. I believe it won't be hard for either type of agency to get waivers for this in the future. Some probably are looking into that now. Certainly the fire folks can put this to good use, much cheaper and faster response times than helis and planes. On the LE side, the main concern there would be privacy and improper search/seizure issues. I could see some benefit in crowd control, search and rescue etc.


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 AM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.