Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What an Idiot!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:30 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What an Idiot!

Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Just the PR we need. Some idiot is flying a drone over the #Sandfire forest fire in central California (>4000 acres, 10 homes destroyed so far). All air support (water bombers, spotters) will have to be stopped because of this idiot! May his drone, car and house go up in flames.
Got a link to back this up??
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by warningshot
Got a link to back this up??
http://www.capradio.org/articles/201...ill-evacuated/

"
Update: 11:53 a.m.:
The air attack on the Sand Fire has resumed following a short delay due to reports of a drone flying in the area. Officials stopped the aerial water and fire retardant drops on the fire for safety concerns after a video appeared on YouTube showing the fire from above.
The operator of the remote-controlled helicopter was contacted, and the all-clear was given, according to updates on Twitter from fire officials."
Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

10 homes destroyed, fire raging out of control and they STOP because of a cheap R/C drone?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cheap r/c drone, in the right spot, can bring down the real aircraft. This type of activity is "exactly" why the FAA is going to implement some rules regarding "all" toy aircraft. And as with most laws it is the law abiding citizen that pays the price.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:53 PM
warningshot

To bad they did not say who the idiot is.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:42 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by tailskid
10 homes destroyed, fire raging out of control and they STOP because of a cheap R/C drone?
If you look at the video, this was definitely not a $99 quad-copter from Tower. It was obviously FPV with more than one camera. Can you imagine what one of these sucked into the engine of the DC-10 water bomber would do? Yes, that "cheap R/C drone" could bring down a multi-million-dollar plane and kill the crew. Also, at one point in the video, you can hear a helicopter very close to the drone. Comments like yours show why we are going to lose the right to fly our planes.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM
jelge

Originally Posted by acerc
That cheap r/c drone, in the right spot, can bring down the real aircraft. This type of activity is "exactly" why the FAA is going to implement some rules regarding "all" toy aircraft. And as with most laws it is the law abiding citizen that pays the price.
You are absolutely correct. What a lot of non-aviation types do not understand is a cheap drone can kill a pilot and/or those unfortunate enough to be at the crash site. Small birds damage aircraft nearly every day, large birds have brought down aircraft, even airliners. Cheap drones have more mass than a small bird plus steel parts to help penetrate into an aircraft. It seems like I see new report about drones and/or RC aircraft being places they do not belong 2 or 3 times a week and I am not even looking for the stories. I work in aviation so my normal reading habits have me reading magazines, emails and news sources where something like shutting down aerial fire fighting or having an R/C camera platform close enough for a pilot to identify the make and model is big news.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deball the moron
Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The desire for a minute of fame on youtube causes the simple minded to suspend common sense. Many others are terminally stupid. Unfortunately these types ruin things for all of us and rarely pay any price for their behavior.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jelge
You are absolutely correct. What a lot of non-aviation types do not understand is a cheap drone can kill a pilot and/or those unfortunate enough to be at the crash site. Small birds damage aircraft nearly every day, large birds have brought down aircraft, even airliners. Cheap drones have more mass than a small bird plus steel parts to help penetrate into an aircraft. It seems like I see new report about drones and/or RC aircraft being places they do not belong 2 or 3 times a week and I am not even looking for the stories. I work in aviation so my normal reading habits have me reading magazines, emails and news sources where something like shutting down aerial fire fighting or having an R/C camera platform close enough for a pilot to identify the make and model is big news.

Jeff
I once saw a small pillow break a prop. The story, a Cub had taken off about ten minutes before a small Cessna. The cub had it's door open on take off, in which a small pillow flew out. The pillow was the pilots added padding he placed once airborn, why then I don't know. But ten minutes later the Cessna was taking off and the pillow came into contact with the prop, the (I assume) resistance caused the prop to crack, in which the pilot apparently felt or something. He immediately powered down and came back in, inspected the prop and thus seeing the crack. Most people do not realize just how fragile aircraft are, including most r/c'ers.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at the video, this was definitely not a $99 quad-copter from Tower. It was obviously FPV with more than one camera. Can you imagine what one of these sucked into the engine of the DC-10 water bomber would do? Yes, that "cheap R/C drone" could bring down a multi-million-dollar plane and kill the crew. Also, at one point in the video, you can hear a helicopter very close to the drone. Comments like yours show why we are going to lose the right to fly our planes.
Perhaps I should have said a 'relatively cheap' as compared to 10 homes! I could care less if it was a $10,000 drone....10 homes puts things in perspective IMHO.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 PM
collector1231

Great. I have a feeling the FAA and all those other people will now regulate where we can and can't fly...
Old 07-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see a problem here ... Just have one of the pilots operating the water tank to drop about 30,000 gallons of water on top of the bleeping drone, or douse it with powdered fire retardant.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
crustychief

There would have been a TFR in the area.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by crustychief
There would have been a TFR in the area.
There is. But some people are either too stupid to realize they should check or don't think they need to follow the rules. "Common sense" (sadly something lacking in many) would say you should not be flying anything in that area that is not part of the fire-fighting effort, and if it is, it would be under close control of Air Command.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:19 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

It wouldn't fare well near the main fire...winds and heat would crisp it up in short order. The guy's clueless...matching up a soundtrack to go with his little adventure.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 PM
littlera

Want to know who the idiot is? Here you go:https://www.facebook.com/jason.bross...=browse_search

Go to this page and post what you think about his little stunt. I DID!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:58 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

The FAA needs to get thier heads out of thier butts and realize this jerk Jason Bross is NOT part of the RC community, but nothing more than a jerk trying to get 15 minutes of fame
Old 07-28-2014, 05:37 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
The desire for a minute of fame on youtube causes the simple minded to suspend common sense. Many others are terminally stupid. Unfortunately these types ruin things for all of us and rarely pay any price for their behavior.
These comments need to be posted on youtube so the idiot will see them. And those who think it's a cool video may think otherwise..
Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 AM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I put a nasty gram on his facebook page and recommend everyone else to do the same. The more the idiot is "spoken" to the more evidence there is to show that the rc community does not support his behavior!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:28 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:46 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmichael
I put a nasty gram on his facebook page and recommend everyone else to do the same. The more the idiot is "spoken" to the more evidence there is to show that the rc community does not support his behavior!
Don't know that leaving "nastygrams" on his page, and suggesting that others pile on will do anything. Inciting that kind of response might not be the best way to go, and could encourage worse. He's probably been visited by LE, or at this point popped up on the feds radar. If someone puts a video up and asks for comments, then I think it's fair game. Show the hobby, and responsible hobbyists in the best light possible.

Saw two videos this week on LiveLeak, one from a guy down under who was up about 300 meters, over a high rise, then zoomed down along the beach. The second one was a guy in CA, Huntington Beach actually, showing off his new totally beyotching Phantom with a gimball....over 7 minutes of video over cars, and people at the beach. In that case he asked for comments, and got 'em. Doubt he expected what people left.

He bragged about how good business had been, and was taking suggestions on what kind of vids to get on Los Angeles. It's doubtful either of them belonged to any RC association, be it local or national. More fodder for those that want to control the hobby.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Might be better if we all contacted the FAA and disavowed this type of behavior and recommend they direct their attention on the pirate operators instead of those who are operating in a responsable manner, and yes stopping all activity until the area was safe to operate in again was the correct thing to do. A home can be replaced but a person can not, firefighters should not have to worry about things like this. I hope the authorities file some kind of charges against this moron.
Very valid point, raptureboy
Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

This is a great example of how the use of this technology can be helpful to the public. Both fire and LE agencies could benefit from this tremendously. I believe it won't be hard for either type of agency to get waivers for this in the future. Some probably are looking into that now. Certainly the fire folks can put this to good use, much cheaper and faster response times than helis and planes. On the LE side, the main concern there would be privacy and improper search/seizure issues. I could see some benefit in crowd control, search and rescue etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.