Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RIT dye Canopy

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:07 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIT dye Canopy

I read somewhere about using RIT dye to tint canopies-Anyone ever done it? I tried searching but could not find any information-Thanks in adavance for sharing any info
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done it. The canopy has to be acetate, butyrate, or the like. Soda bottles and polycarbonate just won't take the tint. I just tried that a couple months ago.

Find a container large enough to submerge the entire canopy. You might want to line it with a trash bag or something to keep the dye from staining the container. Use warm-hot water from the tap and mix the dye in. I use powder but there is also liquid. Time in the dye determines how much color you get. It's not a quick process but you should check every couple minutes.

Don't do it in the kitchen or bathroom sink and make sure you don't spill it anywhere, else it may be permanent. Find a good way to rinse the canopy and get rid of the mix before you start. Use gloves.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
Back in the 70's, nothing looked worse than a Kaos with a clear canopy sitting on top of that square fuselage. I used Black Rit dye to turn the
clear canopy into a smoked canopy. I would heat the water up to "Hot" but not boiling. Dissolve a complete package of Rit Dye in 2 gallons of water
I would dip the canopy into the dye water and then lift it out and continue dipping until I got to the right shade. I didn't ever just leave the canopy in the
hot water for fear of warping it. After the last dip, I would rinse the canopy off with cool water.

However, Now days, you can go to your favorite Local Hobby shop that stocks RC cars, and they have rattle can paints that are designed for
painting the inside of clear car bodies. It's quicker, affordable and there is a wide selections of colors and tints.

Frank .
Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by countilaw
Jim,

However, Now days, you can go to your favorite Local Hobby shop that stocks RC cars, and they have rattle can paints that are designed for
painting the inside of clear car bodies. It's quicker, affordable and there is a wide selections of colors and tints.

Frank .
After melting some plastic sheet in a failed attempt to get it to accept the dye, I went to the local RC car shop and purchased some RC car paint. The product worked as I had hoped and I'm pleased with the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_005.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	2020487   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_039.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	2020489   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_023.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	685.7 KB
ID:	2020492  
Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the rattle can spray. You can get in what's called "smoke".

Using the dye method can very easily warp your canopy.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember to spray the inside of the canopy