Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap. I just spent the last 23 minutes of my life reading this article. Would someone please refund the last 23 minutes of my life back to me?

PS
I'll take the Japanese girl on the far right who is making the "peace" sign with her fingers.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:06 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how it goes with a HK problem thread. Someone has a legitimate issue with them and then the thread is overly peppered by folks cheer leading for HK or telling the OP it was their fault......never fails.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 AM
jgracco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was the one that made a very accurate response to the thread originator. I am sorry if the truth stings but this person bought a cheapo radio from a vendor he probably knows has a spotty reputation, then he managed to get a complete refund and compalins to the world about hobby king then says he is not going to shop there.. I made a legitimate comment about shipping and got snapped at... there are some very frequent people here that just love to make waves about hobby king, american made, wallmart, whatever.... a similar thread was closed last year for the same nonsense.. and as for making comments under the guise of internet.. heck I am right here.. not hiding from anyone..

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
That's how it goes with a HK problem thread. Someone has a legitimate issue with them and then the thread is overly peppered by folks cheer leading for HK or telling the OP it was their fault......never fails.

Last edited by jgracco; 08-20-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Last edited by PLANE JIM; 08-30-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you guys need to pay attention to this guy, he's made a total of 45 post to his name and been a member since 2009. So that makes him a self proclaimed expert on all matters. (sarcasm)

But all joking aside, Anyone dealing with HK will get bitten sooner or later. As for as buying a cheap transmitter, sometimes that is all you need.
I have a training plane that I use to let noobs fly and a cheap transmitter is great for that.
Frank
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 PM
PLANE JIM

Last edited by PLANE JIM; 08-30-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 PM
jgracco

Hey Jim.. I initially responded to someone elses post about shipping issues I have seen from many foreign vendors.and you got snide with me.. At one point you invited me to houston to show me a thing or two. You really are a comic.....

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Exactly Frank-I fly airplanes; bought a airboat at a garage sale for $20.00-has a sixty glow engine and sure did not want my DX18 by the water and I wanted a steering wheel!!!!
But I guess I am at fault for expecting after paying for a product that it would be delivered complete or rolling in the mud with a pig (which we all know who he is) and trying not to get dirty!

BUT THERE IS ONE CONSTANT
HOBBYKING SUCKS!!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What is it about a Hobby King thread that makes people not able to act right? This happens every single time the worst company in RC is mentioned on RCU.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:37 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 10-14-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM
jgracco

I initially wrote a post about shipping delays that I have seen across the board for all foreign vendors I work with for all my clients and got a nasty repsonse back (post #19). That is what started me going. Funny thing. I never expressed any sentiments about HK one way or the other.. I have bought screws from them and hex handle drivers. Not sure how this became me being a plant for them...

My opinon about this vendor is to treat them cautiously and never order something you need in any set time frame, ever. batteries??? I think most know that LIPOs can not be shipped via any sort of airmail. I have had several orders out of many countries stopped because LIPOs were in the shipment. As for paypal or master/visa, file any dispute within 90 days and they will stand behind you.

John

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Jester ,

What I see time after time is that when anyone posts of a displeasure with HK , a certain few rise to HK's defense as though their own family honor were at stake . They start by outright attacking the unhappy customer and attempting to rile him into making angry posts , all the better to discredit him with . I can not and will not believe these defenders are just star struck customers with nothing better to do than go into attack mode anytime someone has a bad deal with HK . The very fact that HK advertises for supposed "forum help" and that no one in any forums wears the HK badge tells me that these ARE HK employees with a vested financial interest in squashing any bad press their employer encounters .

In short , it's FAR cheaper to throw a few shills a few freebies than it is to actually do right by each and every hobbiest who spends a buck with them . That always has and always will be the real reason why folks never seem to act right while posting to a HK thread .

Last edited by jgracco; 08-21-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:37 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by jgracco
I initially wrote a post about shipping delays that I have seen across the board for all foreign vendors I work with for all my clients and got a nasty repsonse back (post #19). That is what started me going. Funny thing. I never expressed any sentiments about HK one way or the other.. I have bought screws from them and hex handle drivers. Not sure how this became me being a plant for them...

My opinon about this vendor is to treat them cautiously and never order something you need in any set time frame, ever. batteries??? I think most know that LIPOs can not be shipped via any sort of airmail. I have had several orders out of many countries stopped because LIPOs were in the shipment. As for paypal or master/visa, file any dispute within 90 days and they will stand behind you.

John
Not sure where you see all of these problems with shipping from foreign vendors because I just don't see very many complaints at all other than Hobby King. Most of what I see for them is that they claim a package is shipped when all they have done is print a shipping label. It is usually a week or more before it actually goes out the door via some cheapo shipping company that they charged the customer premium shipping prices for. I buy a lot of stuff (mostly radio and electronics) related from China and Korea. I pay less to ship a 35 lb radio from China than you would pay to ship a 3 lb airplane from Hobby King and trust me, the radio is larger. I also don't see any shipping delays since all of the Chinese stuff goes out via Hong Kong post. So please, who are all of these companies that have such terrible shipping problems?

By the way, How far is Hicksville from Huntington Station?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 AM
flyinwalenda

I order from a few vendors based in china on e*bay and they have some of the fastest ship times..shipping from china. The HK shipping problem is HK's ,
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Although it's been a while, Nippon Dave at Aircraft World delivered small packages in about 5 days from Japan to SW Coastal US and for pretty darn cheap,
The only challenge I ever had is when I received a few items I did not order nor payed for. Was resolved within a Day.

Jared
Old 08-23-2014, 07:26 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by ira d
I bet Tower would have replaced the battery if it performed that poorly had he asked.
Don't be so sure. I have spent over a $1000 with Tower in the last couple of years. Only once did I ask for consideration for a faulty item. I was basically told to "pack sand".
Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
Don't be so sure. I have spent over a $1000 with Tower in the last couple of years. Only once did I ask for consideration for a faulty item. I was basically told to "pack sand".
Would you like to elaborate?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by ira d
Would you like to elaborate?
Go to this page and read post #2764 : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post11827221
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 AM
flyinwalenda

^^^ I did not read where they told you to "pound sand". Very few ARF's have cowls where the cowl or fuse doesn't need to be massaged a bit to fit well. Something is holding down the rear portion of the cowl ; either the engine/muffler is hitting it or the lip of the fuse needs to be sanded down to close the gap.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:58 AM
radfordc

No, the cowl isn't being "held down". The problem is that the cowl is too short to fit all the way back to the lip of the fuselage. I don't know how to "massage" fiberglass to stretch it about 1/4". This is a common problem with the TF P-51 ARF. Here is another view of the problem: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post11816216

BTW, I'm not the only one with this issue as it's been discussed several times on that thread. I guess when you buy what is supposed to be the "top of the line" ARF brand you shouldn't expect the parts to fit correctly?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 AM
radfordc

My point being that if you buy something from HK and it's defective and they tell you too bad, everyone screams bloody murder. If Tower does the same thing they get a pass.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 AM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Perhaps HKc learned from NES before it's eventual downfall.

NES; "I have more important things on my plate than a wing for a Sailplane"

Was my last phone call to resolve a major issue.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's unusual. The details might be interesting to know.

I've dealt with Tower off and on for more than a few years, and never had this sort of issue.

The only problem area I've had with vendors is Lipo batteries.
This has to do with cell voltages on receipt, and balance.
A just out of box Lipo can be within a reasonable tolerance of storage voltage or not.
Those that are not, or that show mismatched cells when initially charged are usualy
the source of the problems.
Some vendors believe that if the lipo is "usable", that's all that is required.
Others want to say that you charged it, it's yours.
A few will give some sort of discount on a replacement, rather than a swap.
(And so on)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 AM
radfordc

There isn't much detail to give. I bought a TF P-51 ARF from Tower. When I was building the plane I found that the cowl did not fit. I contacted Tower's customer service department and they said they couldn't do anything about it and to contact the distributor. I contacted the distributor and was told that it was my problem to fix.

Charlie
Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 PM
topspin

There isn't much detail to give. I bought a TF P-51 ARF from Tower. When I was building the plane I found that the cowl did not fit. I contacted Tower's customer service department and they said they couldn't do anything about it and to contact the distributor. I contacted the distributor and was told that it was my problem to fix.

Charlie
OK so now we got down to the heart of the matter. Tower didn't build the kit they just sell it so if the kit is defective it makes sense that the manufacturer has the responsibility so Top Flite said the could not help you? I am surprised that Top Flite didn't do anything to help you, they have a good reputation.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to this page and read post #2764 : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post11827221
I do agree that Tower should have tried to work with you and if necessary take the kit back foe a refund, Tower and Top Flight are one and the same
and once it was known the kits had defective cowls they should have had new ones made and shipped out to customers that had the kits.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM
PLANE JIM

Last edited by PLANE JIM; 08-30-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.