Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Old 09-06-2014, 02:52 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wunder what the ama gets for a 5 page ad?
Old 09-06-2014, 03:07 PM
binns aero

did happen to purchase a 42 dollar 25 2c, two weeks from over yander,and it runs great !
Old 09-07-2014, 04:58 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by binns aero
wunder what the ama gets for a 5 page ad?
probably the same thing the other magazines charge.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by countilaw
So why not just put a $12.00 Hitec servo in the $100 foamy and fly it for several years or until you dumb thumb it. Damn, you just saved a $100. bucks.

I will never waste my money on Hobby Krap.
Have you ever purchased anything from Hobby King?

Good point on the servos though, Hitec makes some nice ones, although they've been known to fail too.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...g_0_11sec.html

This is a nice one too if you like Futaba;

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...sec_60deg.html

Heli guys seem to like these, but they seem pricey for what you get.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...12s_2_5kg.html

and of course JR;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...heatsink_.html

The beauty of modern day technology and global economies is that hobbyists benefit from thousands of products from hundreds of vendors, and we're all free to buy from wherever we want. Those that provide good selection, good products, good prices, and good services will continue to thrive.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:17 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by countilaw

By the time they spend the outrageous shipping fees, how are they saving any money?

At least with Tower Hobbies, they ship for FREE on orders over $100, and it you have a problem, they have GREAT customer service.
Here is a fair comparison...

I just ordered 8 wood props from HK ranging in size from 16" to 22" in diameter. Total price including the "outrageous shipping" was $86. If I had ordered the similar props from Tower with "free" shipping the total cost would have been around $125.

I guess I should have paid a 50% premium for "customer service".
Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

If the wood used in HK wood props is of similar quality to the cardboard they and most chicoms use in their boxes, I would never stand near a plane with one of those props on it !
Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
I have been known not to have problems with HK, but that has changed. Ordered a 3 channel 2.4 surface transmitter for boat from HK USA warehouse that included a modular type 3.7 volt battery. Transmitter delivered in four days and did not have that special battery in the box. Contacted HK via email and was issued a case number and directed to weigh the package and take a picture and reply-which I did all the steps they asked me!

At this time I open a complaint with PAYPAL- after two weeks and not hearing back from HK I elevated the complaint to a dispute for a refund.

Got the email this afternoon from PAYPAL on the dispute that was ruled in my favor for refund only after I return the Transmitter to HONG KONG!!!!!!

(I was thinking this is BS-I ordered from the USA warehouse but I needed to ship the radio back to HONG KONG to get a $33.14 refund but the outbound shipping back to them was on me.)

Needless to say I was angry!!!!

I contacted PAYPAL via telephone and spoke to Customer Service and explain the costs associated with returning the product would exceed the money spent -they put me in touch with a supervisor and she has agreed to make a one time credit on my PAYPAL account for $33.14-and to keep the transmitter which I guess could be a paper weight unless someone think it would possible to rig a 3.7 volt battery lead.
She also stated that the account for HOBBYKING was under review by PAYPAL due to the number of customer's complaints and monies being given back and they had bad rating with them. I am not going to buy nothing from them again. I did not buy that much (about $800.) in 24 months and I should have listen but I know better now!!!!
I reposted my post so we could get back on topic-thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 04:54 PM
porcia83
Banned

132 posts to get "back on topic"? This will run the same course every HK thread goes through. Go back and look at the other threads started, some going back years. They all read the same.

Interesting to note you "know better now", but were fine dealing with them for two years, to the tune of $800.00. One bad transaction is enough for some folks, fair enough. There are plenty of other vendors to choose from. The bit about Paypal though is laughable. This is the same thing that's been thrown out there with these complaints since what, 2007 or so? I'm sure they have their share of complaints, did you happen to ask what relationship that had with their overall transactions/sales though? Prolly not. PP will never get rid of them....ever. Know why? Because they get paid, that's why. They don't lose any money on any transaction. That comes out of HK's pocket.

regardless of the vendor, when you can't resolve them, let PP do the heavy lifting, and try not to get so worked up about it. Life is to short, and there are plenty of other places to shop from.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
I think a lot of you guys are dreaming that HK's business is going to dry up because of some posts and silly rants here. HK's recent expansion with another center in the US doesn't indicate the tent is folding soon.

PayPal does have some influence over a merchant's transactions but believe me they infrequently lose money, what bank does? Any merchant having an active PayPal account has refund monies deducted from their account almost as quickly as they refund to you. The merchant is notified of the dispute and can accept or reject the refund. It is likely HK accepted the refund deduction rather let the dispute remain open over $30.00 and a customer who refuses to follow the return policy.

So the OP here got his money back, HK lost money and he got to keep merchandise that technically isn't his. Must be proud of setting such a fine example.
Just to put things into perspective Dick, Leaders Hobby opened warehouses in LA and Miami and they went belly up but not because of poor service. So never say never, consumers are fickle and more and more of them are discovering every day there are dealers in the US that are within a dollar of HK on many items. These outfits offer free or really cheap shipping with no delays and real customer service. I don't see how Hobby King can remain competitive.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

LOL...not competitive.

So if it Leaders Hobby didn't have poor service, wonder what made them go belly up? Maybe poor product selection? Maybe non competitive pricing? Maybe a lack of advertising. Who knows. It's got to be ungodly expensive to start an rc operation of any scale in this day and age. Real estate, building/storage, staffing, and of course having good product on hand.

There might be a few items "within a dollar" between HK and US sites, but I doubt there are a ton of them. It's usually not an apples to apples comparison, and lets face it, even when HK is much lower, the response is "ya well service sucks". The HS-81 priced above could be considered competitive. They are in stock, and about the same price (give or take a buck or two) from several other vendors. Shipping charges range from fair to high. I don't find them to be that much more competitive on name brand stuff (JR, Futaba etc) than other places, and if I can buy local and have it in hand, that's easier.

For their "house" brand, the prices are excellent, and they have one of the widest selections out there for product. The Vampire EDF is one such example. The simple fact is that overall, they are not only competitive, they are hypercompetitive. They not only started up the operation in WA, they just opened another warehouse in the "east"...AK. I guess that's east for them.....ha.

Still, there are plenty of US providers for stuff too. BP, Altitude Hobby, Value Hobby, A Main....all do a good business. Motion RC is I think another example of a great US based start up. Exceptional service, and unique product offering. Not cheap, but great stuff, and I've never had a package ship in less than 24 hours.

Tower, Horizon, and Hobby People (Lobby) are there as well, and could be lumped in with HK in terms of comparison.

None of them are going anywhere anytime soon. The competition is good for all of us.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 AM
warningshot

[QUOTE=porcia83;11877097]LOL...not competitive. --------"For their "house" brand, the prices are excellent, and they have one of the widest selections out there for product. The Vampire EDF is one such example. The simple fact is that overall, they are not only competitive, they are hypercompetitive. They not only started up the operation in WA, they just opened another warehouse in the "east"...AK. I guess that's east for them.....ha. "
When did they open a warehouse in Alaska or is this another made up story?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe he meant AR for Arkansas, USA.

Go to HK's web site and select East Warehouse in the drop down location to see what is in stock there.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

yup...my bad...Arkansas.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:43 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by Dick T.
I believe he meant AR for Arkansas, USA.

Go to HK's web site and select East Warehouse in the drop down location to see what is in stock there.
Yes, I know there is one in Arkansas but he said Alaska.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Again, my mistake. See what one letter can do?

Wonder if Alaska is next...that would really really be the West.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:05 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by porcia83
Again, my mistake. See what one letter can do?

Wonder if Alaska is next...that would really really be the West.
Then they could add freezing cold temps, bush plane running out of fuel, moose on the road,etc ....to their list of shipping excuses !
Old 09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

On a more positive note, I hear one can see Russia from there.....so there's that.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Yeah save a few bucks from he and run the risk the product is doa.hk just plain sucks.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:05 PM
PLANE JIM

amen
Old 09-11-2014, 06:38 AM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Have you ever purchased anything from Hobby King?

Good point on the servos though, Hitec makes some nice ones, although they've been known to fail too.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...g_0_11sec.html

HS81 is fine for glidersand electrics but I do not trust the potentiometer for I.C. power applications.

I used to buy a lot of HS55, they have a nice 3D arm but I only use Towerpro SG90 for foamies now, whether you buy it from Value,HK wherever they sure can take a beating at $2.50 and the torque seems stronger and they last longer.

Heli guys seem to like these, but they seem pricey for what you get.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...12s_2_5kg.html

HGD 250 gets a lot cheaper after it is added to cart, HGD is real strict with MAP.

Prolly not. PP will never get rid of them....ever. Know why? Because they get paid, that's why. They don't lose any money on any transaction. That comes out of HK's pocket.

regardless of the vendor, when you can't resolve them, let PP do the heavy lifting, and try not to get so worked up about it. Life is to short, and there are plenty of other places to shop from.
But it is sooooooooooooo much work calling paypal,
1. First you have to pick up the phone, then you have to dial their phone#, then explain what happened, that could take up to 10 minutes and another 10 minutes if you have to contact your CC. Better off just starting a rant thread then spend days following it.

Last edited by keyman; 09-11-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keyman
But it is sooooooooooooo much work calling paypal,
1. First you have to pick up the phone, then you have to dial their phone#, then explain what happened, that could take up to 10 minutes and another 10 minutes if you have to contact your CC. Better off just starting a rant thread then spend days following it.
Thanks for the chuckle keyman, you're right on the button. By the way placed a HK West heli parts and lipo order several days ago, it is currently packed and ready to ship for the horrible $7.00 shipping fee.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 PM
PLANE JIM

Received a package today from the USPS on my door step-the same exact order as before-another radio with no battery from HK.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Before the others descend, Jim, did your order/listing clearly state "No batterie(s) included ?

Myself, HKc US and now HKc Ebay, if I were

Jared

Last edited by jcstalls; 09-13-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-13-2014, 04:53 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Plane Jim should love HK now.....two free radios!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Received a package today from the USPS on my door step-the same exact order as before-another radio with no battery from HK.
Was this a "test" order, a mistake on their part, or do you like putting your hand on the hot stove ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.