Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sir-I would take $9 for it and I would ship it to you incomplete-and the battery is not there already
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM
clarkj
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i'm not going to read all the posts in this forum but heres how I look at it and I dont think anyone can disagree. 1) anyone that has been in this hobby for any amount of time knows the risk you are taking from ordering from HK. 2) the savings on most items like batteries are far cheaper than other sellers so if you dont get the item refer to my rule #1 and order another battery, youre still going to be money ahead. I have ordered several things from them over the past 7 years and never been cheated. Some stuffe I bought was junk like a $22 foamy with a motor, come on do you really expect that to be as good as a parkzone plane? No way. I mostly order their windsocks and batteries. And by the way we never get more than a year out of a windsock but where else can you get one for $3
Old 09-25-2014, 07:21 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by clarkj
Ok so i'm not going to read all the posts in this forum but heres how I look at it and I dont think anyone can disagree. 1) anyone that has been in this hobby for any amount of time knows the risk you are taking from ordering from HK. 2) the savings on most items like batteries are far cheaper than other sellers so if you dont get the item refer to my rule #1 and order another battery, youre still going to be money ahead. I have ordered several things from them over the past 7 years and never been cheated. Some stuffe I bought was junk like a $22 foamy with a motor, come on do you really expect that to be as good as a parkzone plane? No way. I mostly order their windsocks and batteries. And by the way we never get more than a year out of a windsock but where else can you get one for $3
So many say how cheap HK is for LIPO's. So let's take a look.at two equal quality packs and a pack that is superior to both

From HK:
10 Turnigy 3-cell 2200 30c packs from the USA warehouse are $15.30 x 10 = $153.00
Shipping the cheapest way to the right coast is = $ 17.63
Total price and I would have them in 2-weeks = $ 170.63

From Value Hobby:
10 G-Force 3-cell 2200 30c packs from their IL warehouse are $14.90 x 10 = $ 149.00
Shipping the cheapest way to anywhere i the USA = $ 4.00
Total price and I would have them in 3-4 days = $ 153.00

and some of the best batteries out there from Buddy RC
Glacier 3-cell 2200 30c packs
from their OH warehouse $21,95 x 10 . = $219.50
Shipping the cheapest way = $ 10.43
Total price and I would have them in 3-4 days = $ 229.93

So you can buy batteries that are just as good as HK for less from a USA based business or if you want some of the best batteries out there you can pay about 30% more and get those. HK can be beat not just in customer service.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
and some of the best batteries out there from Buddy RC
Glacier 3-cell 2200 30c packs
from their OH warehouse $21,95 x 10 . = $219.50
Shipping the cheapest way = $ 10.43
Total price and I would have them in 3-4 days = $ 229.93
I have placed a few orders with Buddy RC in recent months, (mainly Sunnysky motors) and found them to be a very good company.

Delivery to Australia by USPS is reasonably priced and takes about 2 weeks which is ok by me.

I'd be happy to try those Glacier batteries and $54 is fair for a quality 3S 5300 Mah.

But check the shipping prices to Australia for just one battery. Not a realistic option.

UPS
  • UPS Worldwide Expedited $108.80
  • UPS Worldwide Saver $115.29
US Postal Service
  • First Class Mail, No LiPo Battery Allowed $17.54
  • Priority Mail, No LiPo Battery Allowed $43.29
  • Express Mail, EMS, No LiPo Battery Allowed $58.00

Last edited by Rob2160; 09-26-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Correct bad link.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:02 AM
jgracco

Nah you'd sell it for the original cost on HK that you were supposed to pay, then you'd keep the battery you complained you had to buy and return it to whereever you bought it while filing a new complaint with Paypal saying the battery was damaged when you got it, err not included because of shipping rules... or smelled like french fries..

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
No sir-I would take $9 for it and I would ship it to you incomplete-and the battery is not there already
Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 AM
clarkj

I say if you find something that works stick with it. If those lipos work for you and theyre cheaper go for it. I have a friend that mostly uses dle engines and for the most part hes had good luck with them. I on the other hand only run DA engines, yes they cost more but ive had good luck with them and will continue to until i have problems.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

OK, I now have a question for the group. Who manufactures lipo batteries in the United States? I know a lot of products we all use are manufactured in China and then have a US company label attached. This includes food we buy in our grocery stores. I would like to buy a battery manufactured in the US and run a comparison on a Chinese battery.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:55 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by GSAV8R
OK, I now have a question for the group. Who manufactures lipo batteries in the United States? I know a lot of products we all use are manufactured in China and then have a US company label attached. This includes food we buy in our grocery stores. I would like to buy a battery manufactured in the US and run a comparison on a Chinese battery.
Doubt you will find a hobby lipo that has cells made in the USA. Thunder Power assembles their packs in the USA but the cells are not made here. Anyway this is a subject for a separate thread;it has nothing to do with this one.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:38 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Doubt you will find a hobby lipo that has cells made in the USA. Thunder Power assembles their packs in the USA but the cells are not made here. Anyway this is a subject for a separate thread;it has nothing to do with this one.
Thanks! You made my point exactly. Everybody arguing HK versus TH versus HH, etc., etc. People are willing to pay for labels
Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 10-14-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:57 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 10-14-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:29 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by GSAV8R OK, I now have a question for the group. Who manufactures lipo batteries in the United States? I know a lot of products we all use are manufactured in China and then have a US company label attached. This includes food we buy in our grocery stores. I would like to buy a battery manufactured in the US and run a comparison on a Chinese battery.
[QUOTE=flyinwalenda;11888306]Doubt you will find a hobby lipo that has cells made in the USA. Thunder Power assembles their packs in the USA but the cells are not made here. Anyway this is a subject for a separate thread;it has nothing to do with this one.[/QUOTE

As far as I know there are no Lithium batteries made in the US but I could be wrong. What I do know is that even testing Chinese made batteries from different manufacturers would yield different results. Like anywhere else China make products of varying quality and price, Hobby King buys the cheap stuff, that's how they are able to sell them at low cost. I have a good number of Thunder Power and Hyperion batteries and they are exceptionally high quality, of course they cost more.

I have used Hobby King Nano-Tech batteries that simply don't live up to their ratings while the expensive ones do. I tried a 3S 1800 60/130C Nano-Tech battery in an application that required 50 amps or about 30C. The Nano-Tech battery got hot (really hot) after only 2 minutes and puffed like a rice krispy. My 35C 1800 Hyperion batteries only get warm but handle the job nicely. I am certain that Hyperion batteries are made in China but to a much higher specification. The old saying that you get what you pay for is true no matter where the product is made. Hobby King sells stuff for less money because it costs less money to make it and the quality is generally low.

I know Hobby King sells brand name stuff but those can usually be found elsewhere for the same price or within a dollar or two. The difference being that other vendors offer customer service, Hobby King does not.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:24 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=topspin;11888483]
Doubt you will find a hobby lipo that has cells made in the USA. Thunder Power assembles their packs in the USA but the cells are not made here. Anyway this is a subject for a separate thread;it has nothing to do with this one.[/QUOTE

As far as I know there are no Lithium batteries made in the US but I could be wrong. What I do know is that even testing Chinese made batteries from different manufacturers would yield different results. Like anywhere else China make products of varying quality and price, Hobby King buys the cheap stuff, that's how they are able to sell them at low cost. I have a good number of Thunder Power and Hyperion batteries and they are exceptionally high quality, of course they cost more.

I have used Hobby King Nano-Tech batteries that simply don't live up to their ratings while the expensive ones do. I tried a 3S 1800 60/130C Nano-Tech battery in an application that required 50 amps or about 30C. The Nano-Tech battery got hot (really hot) after only 2 minutes and puffed like a rice krispy. My 35C 1800 Hyperion batteries only get warm but handle the job nicely. I am certain that Hyperion batteries are made in China but to a much higher specification. The old saying that you get what you pay for is true no matter where the product is made. Hobby King sells stuff for less money because it costs less money to make it and the quality is generally low.

I know Hobby King sells brand name stuff but those can usually be found elsewhere for the same price or within a dollar or two. The difference being that other vendors offer customer service, Hobby King does not.
I think China sells alot of things for less money to drive companys here and other countrys companys out of buisness .Once out of buisness then watch their price go up. Sneeky ? Heck yea ! Smart buisness ? You betcha ! BTW At the low proffit on their junk they cant afford customer service ,Yet ! lol

Last edited by joebahl; 09-26-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gee Jim, you sure have stirred up a hornet's nest
Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

With all the lithium shipping restrictions past and present. be it RC, Ecig, etc. I'm surprised more TX's shipped from China are required to have the lipo if so equipped must be shipped by sea while the bare TX can be shipped by air. I understand this order was shipped from the USA.

I might be in the majority but if I had to choose between a free 2nd tx or the missing lipo I would choose the 2nd free tx, It doesn't look like this lipo is that hard to purchase from other sources?

I hope I am wrong but I think range of the tx will be more of an issue then the missing lipo.

Last edited by keyman; 09-26-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:03 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold off about 10 futaba FM radios and bought a dxm 7 channel new . I then found one a guy was selling another spectrum 7 channel at my club for 50 so i have two now and more than enough to handle my planes. I get nothing but great service from Horizon Hobbys and they have even sent mme a free reciever after i sent the old one in and told them i broke it in a crash ( my fault !) Try that with HK and let me know how that works for ya. joe
Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 PM
jim billings

I ordered (from Hobby King China warehouse) rotating electric retracts for a .60 to 1.20 size P-40 on September 11. They arrived today (9-26-14) by USPS. Cost was $145.00 including shipping. The equivalent Robart electrics cost many hundred dollars while the equivalent pneumatics cost over 300 dollars. The order took 10 days to San Francisco and 5 more days to my mail box. The retracts operate smoothly (and a bit noisy), so my 40th order from HK is successful. I suspect there are some who would criticize me for avoiding higher prices, but that's why I buy my underwear from Wal Mart instead of Sears. The acceptable quality is there while the prices are less. And the underwear is probably made in China along with 75 percent (SWAG) of the rest of consumer products. So If you're buying from any RC supplier, your money is supporting China (along with the store employees.) If I need service for my retracts, I suspect HK won't be much help. So I'll use my ingenuity and workshop to fix the problem. I won't start a thread and bore the rest of the RC world with my petty gripes. By the way, I received an e-Mail from HK offering to hire me in Hong Kong. They must think I'm Shill material. Ain't that the pits?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM
tailskid

Jim, not to take this thread away from the OP, but what plane are you putting those retracts in? Have a part number?
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 PM
jim billings

The airplane is part # LXYYC9 at Tower, TOPA0970 at Hobbyzone. Both are listed as out of stock. The HK retracts are PRODUCT ID: 9107000186 Turnigy Full Metal Servoless 90 Degree Twist n Turn Retracts/leg's/wheels 1.20 size (P-40). The retracts require a little woodworking to mount them, but they operate flawlessly.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:13 PM
tailskid

The ones I want ARE NEVER in stock
[h=3]PRODUCT ID: 9107000236-0[/h][h=3][/h]
Old 09-26-2014, 05:29 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by jim billings
The airplane is part # LXYYC9 at Tower, TOPA0970 at Hobbyzone. Both are listed as out of stock. The HK retracts are PRODUCT ID: 9107000186 Turnigy Full Metal Servoless 90 Degree Twist n Turn Retracts/leg's/wheels 1.20 size (P-40). The retracts require a little woodworking to mount them, but they operate flawlessly.

U get what U pay for ... I bought the same ones only non rotating for a 1.50 size P-47 the tail wheel retract and one main burned up just testing them with No load on the kitchen table. so they couldn't been installed wrong. Took 6 weeks and many many correspondents to get replacements. OH one of the Gear door actuators burned out with no load on it too. Good luck with your HK (Cheep) retracts. Wen't back to the original retracts that came with the plane and haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 PM
jim billings

I get it! They were EXACTLY the same, only DIFFERENT. Where have I seen that before? mmmm-. I'm glad you didn't start a new thread to complain about your problem. My retracts didn't cheep, they buzzed. But they were cheap if you're the type to declare a $140.00 item as cheap. It seems You bought cheap and regret it. I bought "cheap" and don't regret it. Maybe if you ordered again, you would get a good set of retracts? Or not.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:16 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jim billings
I get it! They were EXACTLY the same, only DIFFERENT. Where have I seen that before? mmmm-. I'm glad you didn't start a new thread to complain about your problem. My retracts didn't cheep, they buzzed. But they were cheap if you're the type to declare a $140.00 item as cheap. It seems You bought cheap and regret it. I bought "cheap" and don't regret it. Maybe if you ordered again, you would get a good set of retracts? Or not.
They replaced them but OUNCE BURNED ... ya know?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM
clarkj

I didnt know they had retracts. Thanks for the info
Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by clarkj
I didnt know they had retracts. Thanks for the info
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...HK&idCategory=

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.