Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:10 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well well well. WHAT A SHOCKER! This is what happens when you DON'T support your LOCAL HOBBY SHOP............
Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSAV8R
I am with you, Joe. Retired master plumber and loving it. Been building almost 50 years. I am currently building a 1938 Guff, the one that claims to be first r/c model. It has a wingspan of 8 feet. I have a 1/3 scale Aeronca C-3 with fuselage about half framed up and just bought all me wood for a 1/3 scale Piper Vagabond. I prefer WW1, Golden Age, and antique models. Nothing like the satisfaction of turning a stack of balsa into a flying model airplane. Like you said, it's not as hard as most folks think.
Yep i have helped a few plumbers dig trenches for underground roughs in hard soil as a super running jobs . lol . Hound dog i dont use CA just tight bond carpenters wood glue ,cleans up with water and sands alot better than CA . My new build with no HK parts is a 84 inch wing span twin otter from plans ,electric .No use for HK i can get the same stuff at other places if i wanted to. I bend my own landing gear and buy balsa from a US dealer Covering from my local hobby shop with my discount so dont need HK for a thing. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	2036911  

Last edited by joebahl; 10-03-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM
jim billings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my T1000's in the mail this morning, less than a week from order to delivery. The instructions are in very poor English as noted before. The units are well packaged with the specifications displayed through the plastic case containing the unit and accessories. One of the specs reads "Flying Condition: All-weather (But it may perform not very well in rainy, foggy, haily & snowy day)" ??? I'm going to install one in an old foamy trainer and see if I can get it to work. I can't wait to try the Return Home function. Here's hoping for the best.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by jim billings
I got my T1000's in the mail this morning, less than a week from order to delivery. The instructions are in very poor English as noted before. The units are well packaged with the specifications displayed through the plastic case containing the unit and accessories. One of the specs reads "Flying Condition: All-weather (But it may perform not very well in rainy, foggy, haily & snowy day)" ??? I'm going to install one in an old foamy trainer and see if I can get it to work. I can't wait to try the Return Home function. Here's hoping for the best.
Good luck with that. I really dont know what one is to tell you the truth . If its some kind of gyro i would never use one in a rc plane anyways . When it comes time for my old ars to put a gyro in any of my planes then its time for me to stop flying. joe
Old 10-03-2014, 10:27 AM
jim billings

Joe, you'll feel a lot different when you hit "old age". Believe me.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Joe:
there a whole bunch of guys that have been flying for over 30 years and they should have 3 axis auto pilots with return to crash site ... W all know who they are. A number of pilots (R/C Drivers) at my AZ club have installed gyros on the rudder to get the plans like Cubs that U have to use rudder have in the air not to say anything about ground looping. One of the Snow bird pilots that has been winning R/C scale events for over 50 years was given an old piece of junk of a Taylor craft and it flew like a bag of rats... long story short he put a gyro on the rudder and went to turn it on for landing and it riled the plane on it's back and into the ground so fast he didn't know what happened. the thing had worked earlier who knows. Guess the R/C GODS just called that planes number.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:27 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by joebahl
When it comes time for my old ars to put a gyro in any of my planes then its time for me to stop flying. joe
I think Eddie Rickenbacker once said the same thing.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 AM
HoundDog

If U get that T-1000 to function properly in a large plane not a fomey I'll Buy one and trade ya for U're operating USED T-1000
Deal?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:09 AM
tee681

support your local hobby shop !!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:52 PM
jim billings

I just returned from flying my foamie trainer with the T1000 system with GPS. There were 4 flights. The first flight was with GPS disconnected with the flight assist function in manual mode. The plane flew with no difficulty or oddball movements and landing was uneventful. The second flight was with GPS disconnected and flight assist in "Leveling Mode". The flight showed that the 45 degree limit to roll works correctly and the plane recovers to level flight when the attitude controls are centered. This mode works fine for beginners and allows an uneventful landing by holding the plane level all the way to touchdown (my trainer is a little reluctant to land and usually wants to continue flying.) The third flight was with GPS connected. I followed the (poor English) instructions to set the GPS while I had the plane in the center of our (grass) runway. It took about 20 seconds for the GPS satellites to be detected and the red led to glow continuously. After a few seconds the red led started blinking ("glittering", according to the instructions.) I stepped back to the pilot's position, placed the transmitter in leveling mode, and took off with no difficulty. Everything worked fine through a few figure eights. I then switched to GPS mode and the plane immediately made a turn toward the runway. While in GPS mode, there is no control of the flight surfaces, only the throttle. The plane began very wide, level circles of the runway. I switched back to leveling mode and turned the throttle to zero. After I coaxed the plane to a much lower altitude, I switched to GPS mode and left the throttle at zero. The plane made three tight circles and wound up landing itself about fifteen feet from the spot where I had set up the GPS position. I and several others at the field thought that was pretty nifty. Note: If you try to take off while in GPS mode, you WILL crash. The fourth flight was the same as flight number three. This was just to see if GPS unit remembered the position of the runway. It did, but I landed the plane in leveling mode. Overall, I was impressed with the functions of the T1000. I didn't try the 3D mode. I am definitely NOT a 3D flyer. Slow reflexes, you know. Wind conditions at the time were 8 to 10 mph with gusts to 18 miles per hour. If I can figure out how to attach pictures of the plane's T1000 installation, I'll send them up later. HoundDog, you can't have my T1000. It's mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:05 AM
joebahl

Joe, you'll feel a lot different when you hit "old age". Believe me.
Iam real close to 60 and i have had MS for 27 years now and iam now learning to fly 3-D on a multiplex acromaster. I did compete in pattern and pylon when i was young at AMA events and was not bad in sportsman class in pattern . I practice every time out flying to try and stay sharp in my head and fingers ,and i dont go out flying willy nilly like alot i see . joe
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 AM
HoundDog

It doesn't really mater what we fly what radio we use how good we are or are NOT. even where we obtain our equipment from is really a moot point when it really comes down to the nitty gritty. What's really is important I believe( and many may disagree, Their Privilege) is this IS a hobby and Hobbies and should be fun. So long as some one, anyone flies in a manner that is safe and does not indengaer them selves or anyone else (i.e. Follows the rules) do what makes U happy. Shop where U like fly what U will. Many people Including my self, like to think we have made the best choice at the lowest cost and like to feel that we have made all the right choices when we make a purchase and our decisions are as good or better than the next guy ... that's human nature. What some of us fail to remember it ain't the great deal we think we get or the quality of our purchaser but that we are able to participate in our Hobby/Sport and have fun while enjoying our friends and fellow hobbyist.
Good Flying and happy landings to all, ad to all remember, it's all about having

FUN!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by HoundDog
It doesn't really mater what we fly what radio we use how good we are or are NOT. even where we obtain our equipment from is really a moot point when it really comes down to the nitty gritty. What's really is important I believe( and many may disagree, Their Privilege) is this IS a hobby and Hobbies and should be fun. So long as some one, anyone flies in a manner that is safe and does not indengaer them selves or anyone else (i.e. Follows the rules) do what makes U happy. Shop where U like fly what U will. Many people Including my self, like to think we have made the best choice at the lowest cost and like to feel that we have made all the right choices when we make a purchase and our decisions are as good or better than the next guy ... that's human nature. What some of us fail to remember it ain't the great deal we think we get or the quality of our purchaser but that we are able to participate in our Hobby/Sport and have fun while enjoying our friends and fellow hobbyist.
Good Flying and happy landings to all, ad to all remember, it's all about having

FUN!
I agree ! joe
Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 AM
jim billings

You have expressed the real reason we pursue this hobby, the reason many grouchy types seem to forget. Make your OWN choices and live with them.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 AM
joebahl

You have expressed the real reason we pursue this hobby, the reason many grouchy types seem to forget. Make your OWN choices and live with them.
Or older guys dont like seeing new flyers/builders make a mistake by buying from fly by night companys who sell trash . They can make their own choices but need to hear both sides of the story . joe .
Old 10-05-2014, 12:44 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Yes this hobby is about having fun but it also needs to be done safely. A lot of HK's and other economy chicom RC stuff is cheaply made junk . Have seen first hand some of the planes, transmitters and receivers and they are not very good , have issues and do fail. Not good if/when it fails and injures someone, damages property, etc... One doesn't have to spend a ton of money to participate in this hobby but don't take the cheap route either and buy throw-away junk.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As we all work our whole life, earning a pay check and always working toward that next raise. Or we quit one employer to go to another because he's willing to pay us a little more.

But yet, we deny the Hobby shop owner the same. Instead of spending money in our neighborhood and giving the hobby shop owner a raise or even a decent wage, we order from a jip joint like HK. We send our money to China, to a fat cat Australian who really could not care less about you or your hobby. The same guy that rips off patents and makes cheap copies of others hard work.

You guys that praise and worship Hobby King are disgusting. If you can't afford the hobby, you need to find another one that you can afford.

After all, that's why you buy from Hobby King isn't it, it's CHEAP ! ! !

The only thing cheap here is YOU.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:50 PM
ghostofpf1

LOL....same tired old song and dance from the same actors...

yawn
ghost
Old 10-05-2014, 02:59 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by ghostofpf1
LOL....same tired old song and dance from the same actors...

yawn
ghost
Another HK happy customer ! lmao
Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 PM
jim billings

That sounds like the reply of a wealthy person used to having one's way without regard for competing views. We, of the silent majority (it worked for a while for Nixon) hold our beliefs to be self evident (where have I heard that, before?) You don't have to spend a fortune on this hobby (although some do and climb a tall pedestal to declare their superior judgments to be the law of the land. I haven't seen any comment that "praised" Hobby King or displayed any form of worship for the business. I HAVE seen evidence of a deep hatred toward HK. THAT is disgusting. You need to re-assess your ability to determine why hatred should not substitute for rational decisions. I suspect we all need to accept the fact that running a hobby shop is becoming very difficult in an economy where service has become the norm rather than production. MY local hobby shop (Roy's - probably yours, too) has received my business countless times because they price items about the same as Tower with all their discounts and free shipping. The problem is sales tax requires pricing less than Tower to remain competitive. If the hobby shop doesn't have what I need, I tell them, "Well, I tried." If Tower doesn't have it, hello Hobby King. Their price is probably a lot less, anyway. So There!
Old 10-05-2014, 03:16 PM
joebahl

I was not even giving my personal reasons about HK or china other than the cheap junk they sell .No iam not rich as a retired carpenter then a super for a larger building company, but i dont think the mod woould let you hear my real thoughts on China or its companys for any length of time before banding me.. joe
Old 10-05-2014, 03:43 PM
jim billings

We might as well get used to it. China is becoming an economical giant while our economy is faltering. Remember the stuff Japan was selling shortly after WW2? The U. S. was the undisputed giant in manufacturing. Electronics, especially, was overtaken by Japanese industry. Then cars, etc. Now it's China competing not only in RC products, but - you name it, they're competing. Memories of what was are being replaced by what is and, whether we like it or not, this will continue. Eventually, Chinese wages will inflate and Chinese prices will rise. Meanwhile, the quality of Chinese products will rise. I use Japanese RC products. I fly Chinese model aircraft (who else makes model kits, ARFs, etc?) Whoever does, most of the listings are out of stock. You don't have to like Chinese products, but if you're going to fly RC aircraft there's no avoiding it.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:51 PM
HoundDog

Anyone watching 60 right now 18:45 CDT sunday 5 oct ... The new head of the FBI says that China is the greatest threat to the USA's econimic stability and they have no scruples at all they will steel cheat anyone and every one .
Old 10-05-2014, 03:58 PM
joebahl

We might as well get used to it. China is becoming an economical giant while our economy is faltering. Remember the stuff Japan was selling shortly after WW2? The U. S. was the undisputed giant in manufacturing. Electronics, especially, was overtaken by Japanese industry. Then cars, etc. Now it's China competing not only in RC products, but - you name it, they're competing. Memories of what was are being replaced by what is and, whether we like it or not, this will continue. Eventually, Chinese wages will inflate and Chinese prices will rise. Meanwhile, the quality of Chinese products will rise. I use Japanese RC products. I fly Chinese model aircraft (who else makes model kits, ARFs, etc?) Whoever does, most of the listings are out of stock. You don't have to like Chinese products, but if you're going to fly RC aircraft there's no avoiding it.
After telling us how much you like china stuff i bet you are a hit in Texas with the way that most of them think. I will never get use to China junk and buy the best things / tools i can afford even if i have to save up for them. I fly my own scratch builds that are made with my own two hands so dont need ARFs . My sanding tools are Permigrit from Germany a couple hand big dollar saws from japan but most are older well made good old USA. China has nothing for me cause iam not to cheap to buy the best or build it either . When you can buy one of these from HK let me know ,not one piece of China part in any of them . I have already seen a couple China motorcycles and laugh at the people who buy them ,bad motors no parts and no one willing to work on them,but their cheap! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy%20of%20DSCN0009.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2037474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2037475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7017.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2037476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0027.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	2037477   Click image for larger version

Name:	road king 97.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2037489  
Attached Images  

Last edited by joebahl; 10-05-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:00 PM
jim billings

Joe, those are nice looking models and I envy your ability to design and build them. I don't design models, I have built some models from kits, and my lazy bones enjoy putting ARFs together. I have another hobby: metalworking. I have a metal turning lathe and a milling machine (both Taiwanese-Chinese) and use them to tolerances of less than a thousandth of an inch. I have built Internal combustion engines and steam engines from scratch, not from castings. My V-Twin Cylinder engine runs on methanol and sounds very close to the Harley sound. I avoid working in wood because of all the dust. I have a small electric furnace (built from scratch) for melting aluminum or brass (haven't tried steel, yet) and make a casting every now and then. Another hobby I had a few years ago was grinding, polishing, and silvering telescope mirrors (7 mirrors from 6 inches to 12 inches diameter) which I wound up selling and bought a ready made Celestron computer-guided 11 inch telescope (made in China, I think.) My point with all this rambling is that "cheap" isn't necessarily a factor to avoid when buying a product. Homemade things usually are pretty cheap and I'm sure you didn't do research to find the highest possible price to pay for your tools, parts, supplies, etc that went into the building of your models. You made a choice of the cheaper but identical item. If you purposely bought the most expensive item to avoid being "cheap", then I envy your financial means as well as your models.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.