Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a old cast iron lathe with crome molly handles and a cast iron drill press i bought at a auction by Midway airport With american airlines name plate on it. .100 dollars each and had to get 6 guys to help me move them into my basement .lol I buy nice tools not to spend more money but because the ones i do buy will last a long time and be used by my kids some day and their kids after iam gone. My permagrit sanding tools cost alot back in the day when they first came out ,mine are bought 20 years ago and after using them on alot of builds they are just as good now as the first dayi got them .I buy used cast iron tools that were made well and fix them or they were fixed already by a old 87 year old guy near me who likes that kinda stuff. My old band saw he went through and replaced all the bearings and fixed it up nice,again cast iron bottom 150 for it. You dont have to spend tons of money to buy nice well built tools even if they were from the 40s or 50s .heck iam from the 50s and still running fine. joe
Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 PM
jim billings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you and I may think alike (except when it comes to China.) I bought my lathe new in 1996 and when it arrived, I told my wife it must be some kind of mistake so I'll keep it. She always told me "Don't buy cheap!" but I did, anyway. I made some modifications to the lathe to increase its usefulness and accuracy. It's a fine machine, now. The milling machine was bought new and makes a lot of machining operations a lot easier. As far as my kids and their kids using them after I'm gone, that may not happen since the kids have shown no inclination toward machines. They just want to go camping or shoot deers or whatever and spend their time and money doing other dumb things. I jump out of an airplane every now and then (5 tandem jumps, so far) and relish every minute of freefall. Hanging around after the chute opens is what I call the boring part. I wonder if the chute and rigging are made in China? (That's a joke, Joe. It ain't serious.)
To paraphrase you, "You don't have to spend tons of money to buy nice well built tools even if they are from China."

As for this thread, I think I'll quit while the mood is amicable. It's been great working with everyone. Bye.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:01 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jim billings
Joe, those are nice looking models and I envy your ability to design and build them. I don't design models, I have built some models from kits, and my lazy bones enjoy putting ARFs together. I have another hobby: metalworking. I have a metal turning lathe and a milling machine (both Taiwanese-Chinese) and use them to tolerances of less than a thousandth of an inch. I have built Internal combustion engines and steam engines from scratch, not from castings. My V-Twin Cylinder engine runs on methanol and sounds very close to the Harley sound. I avoid working in wood because of all the dust. I have a small electric furnace (built from scratch) for melting aluminum or brass (haven't tried steel, yet) and make a casting every now and then. Another hobby I had a few years ago was grinding, polishing, and silvering telescope mirrors (7 mirrors from 6 inches to 12 inches diameter) which I wound up selling and bought a ready made Celestron computer-guided 11 inch telescope (made in China, I think.) My point with all this rambling is that "cheap" isn't necessarily a factor to avoid when buying a product. Homemade things usually are pretty cheap and I'm sure you didn't do research to find the highest possible price to pay for your tools, parts, supplies, etc that went into the building of your models. You made a choice of the cheaper but identical item. If you purposely bought the most expensive item to avoid being "cheap", then I envy your financial means as well as your models.
It may be cheaper, it may be identical looking, but it isn't identical in quality. There is a reason things are cheap.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Yes this hobby is about having fun but it also needs to be done safely. A lot of HK's and other economy chicom RC stuff is cheaply made junk . Have seen first hand some of the planes, transmitters and receivers and they are not very good , have issues and do fail. Not good if/when it fails and injures someone, damages property, etc... One doesn't have to spend a ton of money to participate in this hobby but don't take the cheap route either and buy throw-away junk.
The safety scare? That's a new one. You may damage property and injure someone if you buy from HK?

I'm thinking that same could be said for pretty much every distributor out there, including Heads Up RC,right? They sell a cheap $30.00 60 amp ESC from Sky Power (who are they again?) and I wonder where that product is made (china maybe?) Has Horizon ever had recalls or tech bulletins on their "expensive" products, or Futaba? Sure they have. BP Hobbies sells the same Corona R6FA-6 receiver that HK sells (for more too), so should I expect HK's to fail sooner because it's HK?

Don't know if JR, Futaba, EagleTree, Fatshark, Scorpion, DJI NAZA could be considered cheaply made throw away junk. Curious how those products never get mentioned in the same conversation as "chicom" junk etc.

Like every other company (HH, Tower, Heads Up, A Main, Red Rocket, Altitude, out there, they offer a broad selection of items at different price points, so that people who chose to spend their money can get what they want.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by porcia83
1.The safety scare? That's a new one. You may damage property and injure someone if you buy from HK?

I'm thinking that same could be said for pretty much every distributor out there, including Heads Up RC,right? They sell a cheap $30.00 60 amp ESC from Sky Power (who are they again?) and I wonder where that product is made (china maybe?) Has Horizon ever had recalls or tech bulletins on their "expensive" products, or Futaba? Sure they have. BP Hobbies sells the same Corona R6FA-6 receiver that HK sells (for more too), so should I expect HK's to fail sooner because it's HK?

2. Don't know if JR, Futaba, EagleTree, Fatshark, Scorpion, DJI NAZA could be considered cheaply made throw away junk. 3. Curious how those products never get mentioned in the same conversation as "chicom" junk etc.

Like every other company (HH, Tower, Heads Up, A Main, Red Rocket, Altitude, out there, they offer a broad selection of items at 4. different price points, so that people who chose to spend their money can get what they want.
1. It's not new at all. Ever since places like HK have opened up, there has been safety concerns with their products. Personal injury and property damage are real possibilities.
2. No.
3. Curious?? You're not serious are you? I'll let you in on a secret then. It's not junk, that's why.
4. Different price points on quality made products, is different than cheaply made products.

I've been flying for 14 years and have used JR gear exclusively in models from indoor foamies to my 33% Edge 540. I haven't had any JR equipment fail at all.

Last edited by drac1; 10-06-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drac1

I've been flying for 14 years and have used JR gear exclusively in models from indoor foamies to my 33% Edge 540. I haven't had any JR equipment fail at all.
JR radios are great, I have four of them. I remember when JR was introduced to Australia in the late 70's. At the time most of our club members flew Futaba or Kraft & mine still works 34 years later.

The funny part is that JR was quickly labelled "Japanese Rubbish" by the senior club members who were ultimately proven wrong.

I think Porcia83's point is that HK also sells Futaba, JR, DJI, Hitec etc. Personally I wouldn't buy a radio online unless there was no other option as I prefer to hold it first and make sure everything works before paying for it.

But Futaba quality should be Futaba quality no matter where you buy it.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-06-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

1. It's not new at all. Ever since places like HK have opened up, there has been safety concerns with their products. Personal injury and property damage are real possibilities.

I haven't had any JR equipment fail at all.
Yes, the "safety scare" isn't new...it's thrown out every time a "cheaper" product is discussed. Has anyone, anywhere ever suffered an injury due to a "cheaper" product? Has anyone, anywhere ever had a liability suit due to using "cheaper" products. Perhaps a "friend of your cousin" has heard of it happening?

Do a google search for "JR radio problems" and see if anyone else has ever had a problem with the expensive JR radios.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by radfordc
Yes, the "safety scare" isn't new...it's thrown out every time a "cheaper" product is discussed. 1. Has anyone, anywhere ever suffered an injury due to a "cheaper" product? Has anyone, anywhere ever had a liability suit due to using "cheaper" products. 2. Perhaps a "friend of your cousin" has heard of it happening?

3. Do a google search for "JR radio problems" and see if anyone else has ever had a problem with the expensive JR radios
1. If everyone applied your theory, then safety wouldn't be addressed untill someone gets hurt. By then it's too late. The idea is to put controls in place to prevent the injury before it happens.
2. That's a stupid comment.
3. Don't need to, the proof is in the pudding as they say. If there were major concerns with JR, there would be threads like the HK ones.

When i'm flying a 5K+ plane, I'm not going to take any more risks than necessary by skimping on radio equipment.

Last edited by drac1; 10-06-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
ghostofpf1

Just wanted to add that as promised my HK order came in today in good shape via UPS..... 1 week from ordering .

ghost
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM
radfordc

1. If everyone applied your theory, then safety wouldn't be addressed untill someone gets hurt. By then it's too late. The idea is to put controls in place to prevent the injury before it happens.
Every model plane has the potential to be deadly. Several fatalities have already happened. Using your "theory" Isn't it high time that they all should be banned?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Then all Spectrum DSM2 equipment would be outlawed. But then the same people that fly cheep junk will also crash land ( that's being Kind) and think it ok to just go ahead and fly cause it don't look bad. Also they'll put receivers from one crash into a new air plane and wonder why Sheit happens.

When i'm flying a 5K+ plane, I'm not going to take any more risks than necessary by skimping on radio equipment.
But then My heart might take flying a $5K plane But I respect people that do.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Ever notice that the same People do most of the crashing and then there are the guys that can go years flying with so much as a bad landing ... Then WACK No mater the equipment or where they got it or what it cost.
The R/C GODS are watching man, all the time their watching.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:21 PM
radfordc

Are we really only talking about buying radio gear from HK? What about the cheaper props, or LiPos, or retracts, or covering material, or....

The tone of this thread is that we shouldn't have any dealing with HK what so ever under any circumstance because you are for sure going to get screwed. Only think is lots of people don't get screwed. It seems that a few loud voices are drowning out the "silent majority".
Old 10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
joebahl

Are we really only talking about buying radio gear from HK? What about the cheaper props, or LiPos, or retracts, or covering material, or....

The tone of this thread is that we shouldn't have any dealing with HK what so ever under any circumstance because you are for sure going to get screwed. Only think is lots of people don't get screwed. It seems that a few loud voices are drowning out the "silent majority".
To be honest with you ,alot of us dont care if you get screwed or use cheap stuff as long as when it gives out we are not standing under it. If you know its cheap stuff and you buy it then its your problem ,that goes along with bad shipping or trying to get things fixed or returned / your money back.lol What we are saying is that for a few more bucks you could have bought better airplane stuff somewhere else. That simple ! Buy away !
Old 10-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by HoundDog

The R/C GODS are watching man, all the time their watching.
LOL, but sometimes they smile on you.. 20 years with one radio, no glitches, 13 years with one plane, no crashes, plane and radio retired gracefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8DU7WD8ra0
Old 10-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
To be honest with you ,alot of us dont care if you get screwed or use cheap stuff as long as when it gives out we are not standing under it. If you know its cheap stuff and you buy it then its your problem ,that goes along with bad shipping or trying to get things fixed or returned / your money back.lol What we are saying is that for a few more bucks you could have bought better airplane stuff somewhere else. That simple ! Buy away !
Aww c'mon Joe, let's not take this thread into "Chicken Little," territory again. Sheesh!

HK must be delighted to get all this exposure thanks to bashers and naysayers.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:15 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Aww c'mon Joe, let's not take this thread into "Chicken Little," territory again. Sheesh!

HK must be delighted to get all this exposure thanks to bashers and naysayers.
Again i dont care about some of the guys in this thread who buy from HK its the new flyers that will think twice about ordering junk after reading 100s of these threads . joe
Old 10-07-2014, 03:16 PM
drac1

1. Every model plane has the potential to be deadly. 2. Several fatalities have already happened. 3. Using your "theory" Isn't it high time that they all should be banned?
1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. Another stupid comment. You're on a roll.

How you got "they all should be banned" from "putting control measures in place to prevent injury" is remarkable. How about not making out people say something they didn't and only post if you can stick to what people actually say.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
drac1

Then all Spectrum DSM2 equipment would be outlawed. But then the same people that fly cheep junk will also crash land ( that's being Kind) and think it ok to just go ahead and fly cause it don't look bad. Also they'll put receivers from one crash into a new air plane and wonder why Sheit happens.

Originally Posted by HoundDog
But then My heart might take flying a $5K plane But I respect people that do.
I fly competition, so I fly these planes every chance I get. I usually fly through the week or in the afternoon when the other members are gone so I don't interrupt them too much. Even on club days I will fly my pattern ships. I almost consider them a daily flyer. Lol.

I have never had a problem with DSM2.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by Rob2160
LOL, but sometimes they smile on you.. 20 years with one radio, no glitches, 13 years with one plane, no crashes, plane and radio retired gracefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8DU7WD8ra0
I'm with you.

The only time I had a crash due to radio equipment, was when I bought a second hand model that had all the gear removed except the aileron servos. The aileron servos were Hitec and I left them in and fitted JR for all the other controls. The plane started rolling by itself and crashed. Post crash investigation/research, revealed that these Hitec servos don't mix well with JR. First and only time I've used other than JR.
Not one crash (due to control equipment failure) using 100% JR in 20 years of flying. 2 crashes in the last 15 years which were both due to pilot error.

I don't buy cheap and it shows up with 100% reliability, so I will continue to use quality brand equipment.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM
joebahl

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f....asp?TID=53139 lmao http://hobbyking.pissedconsumer.com/ I could post this kind of stuff for weeks off the net ,happy shopping . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 10-07-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:45 PM
drac1

Where there's smoke there's fire.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Where there's smoke there's fire.
Rather than calling that comment stupid as you seem to be doing with other folks (why do that by the way?), I'll just say "where there is smoke there is fire" and the "proof is in the pudding" are hardly valid statements of fact. Your specific experiences, good or bad, are anecdotal. As is everyone's. How many threads/complaints have you seen about Spektrum products....or better yet the DJI Phantom. I recall reading lots of reports of "sudden flyaways"...and yet that item still seems to be a pretty popular seller.

Most people will buy what they want, from where they want, regardless of pro or con comments from internet threads.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM
porcia83
Banned

Again i dont care about some of the guys in this thread who buy from HK its the new flyers that will think twice about ordering junk after reading 100s of these threads . joe
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f....asp?TID=53139 lmao http://hobbyking.pissedconsumer.com/ I could post this kind of stuff for weeks off the net ,happy shopping . joe
So you continue to post in threads like this to try to warn off new flyers from buying from HK, despite thousands and thousands of people doing so and happy with their overall experiences? Do you think you reach many people with this approach, and dissuade them from buying? I'd have to say that's been attempted before, for years and years actually, and it doesn't really seem to have done much. Overall it generates a lot of discussion and page views, but given their continued growth in product offerings and company size, I'd have to guess that approach is not working. I get people wanting to complain about an experience, but to try to campaign against a company (any one by the way) seems like wasted energy.

I guess you could "post for weeks off the net", but to what end? I will note it's interesting that the company has threads on it's own site complaining about them,then again so does Tower. Guess they don't delete everything bad that's said about them after all. And that second thread, 8 complaints? Over two years. 8? Did you read any of the complaints? " I didn't get some items in the box and they wouldn't overnight me new items right away like any reputable company". "local pick up was the only option". "shipping times were long".

They have a well deserved reputation for falling short of the service expectations that folks have dealing with online vendors, but I'll again note I think we see more of them online because they have more customers and do more transactions. The one good thing that can come from these threads is the solution to dealing with potential problems with this or any other online vendor, use PP, backed with a credit card, and file a complaint in a timely manner. Let PP and the CC company do the heavy lifting. It's rare that they don't come through.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by porcia83
1. Rather than calling that comment stupid as you seem to be doing with other folks (why do that by the way?), I'll just say 2. "where there is smoke there is fire" and the "proof is in the pudding" are hardly valid statements of fact. Your specific experiences, good or bad, are anecdotal. As is everyone's. How many threads/complaints have you seen about Spektrum products....or better yet the DJI Phantom. I recall reading lots of reports of "sudden flyaways"...and yet that item still seems to be a pretty popular seller.

3. Most people will buy what they want, from where they want, regardless of pro or con comments from internet threads.
1. Because they are. I have said it twice and it was the same poster. surely you don't think the 2 comments are sensible?

2. Where there's smoke there's fire - If there a numerous complaints about HK selling junk, then there it is highly likely that the complaints are valid.
Proof is in the pudding - If people have had excellent success with a particular brand and people have had lots of trouble with another, then it is reasonable proof that the successful brand is better quality.
If you knew the meaning of the phrases, it would be self explanatory.

3. Exactly, so why do people continue to start threads complaining about HK when they know better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.