Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countilaw
Jim, I just don't understand why these guys are so dead set that HK is the greatest thing since butter on toast. There are so many more suppliers that are just so much better.

I think when a guy keeps saying, "Prove it, prove it" you just don't need to prove it any longer. He pretty much says it for you.

Jim, I was at a competition last weekend, one of the guys was telling me he bought 3 motors from HK, one was DOA, and the other two didn't even make through one flight. He was pretty upset, he claimed he could have gotten 1 from his LHS and saved more money. He swore, never again would he order anything from Hobby King, I told him it's called Hobby Krap, he agreed.

I went over to my LHS, Wild Bills and bought a 2 oz bottle of Extra Thick CA and a 2 oz bottle of Thin CA, I paid $7.99 for each bottle. I also got two rolls of Cub Yellow Monokote for $11.99 each. Not bad prices for a LHS. And to top it all off, HAD SOME VERY GOOD CONVERSATION TOO ! ! !

AND I didn't have to pay shipping. Beats the Krap out of Hobby Krap.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP.
Funny thing is, nobody in this thread has said HK is the greatest thing since butter on toast. Perhaps that's your take when you see anyone have a good transaction with them?

Amazing story there about your friend. 3 motors purchased and all were duds. The odds? So he could have bought local and spent less money, but went to HK and spent more? I don't think I've ever seen someone do that. He must have been a pretty loyal HK customer.

Anywoo...a buddy of mine just got 8 of these for a project he is working on:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_Motor.html

Said all of them worked perfectly. Then again they should, almost $1300.00 for the motors alone! Yikes!

Those prices at Wild Bills are....pretty wild. I went to see if they had an online store so I could get the same great deals, no luck there though. That was another thing about the two local shops I mentioned above, both have online stores so purchases can be made as well. An expensive proposition for sure, but a nice option to have.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Good post Porcia , especially the line on newbee looking at RCU or even RCG , or even Hobby King , in fact most newbee start at the local shop if there is one with the bind and fly stuff .
It does not matter to me i will keep buying from hobby king and I also know what to advoid from Hobby King but in fact I know what to advoid in so many other online retailers as well .
If your on the forums ( the two largest ones RCU and RCG ) you get all the reveiws you can need and make your own call good and bad.
I guess the guys at the club I just joined are all cheapskates as well , many have used Hobby King and it came up in total casual conversation on "what in that thing".
I will also keep useing virtual shopping , simply cant relay on shops because we dont have good RC shops in the area nor do they care to be good RC shops !
Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by LDM
Good post Porcia , especially the line on newbee looking at RCU or even RCG , or even Hobby King , in fact most newbee start at the local shop if there is one with the bind and fly stuff .
It does not matter to me i will keep buying from hobby king and I also know what to advoid from Hobby King but in fact I know what to advoid in so many other online retailers as well .
If your on the forums ( the two largest ones RCU and RCG ) you get all the reveiws you can need and make your own call good and bad.
I guess the guys at the club I just joined are all cheapskates as well , many have used Hobby King and it came up in total casual conversation on "what in that thing".
I will also keep useing virtual shopping , simply cant relay on shops because we dont have good RC shops in the area nor do they care to be good RC shops !
That was pretty much my progression, cheap RC stuff from toy stores, then went to the hobby shop, then was directed to online forums. What I should have done was join a club right away, I would have saved myself a ton of grief and aggravation. I bought planes on Ebay that looked cool, but ultimately were way out of my league at the time. This was my 3rd plane after my airhogs:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1004

it said trainer so I thought...what the heck. Got one harrowing flight and on the second flight we were both put out of our misery.

Still green with envy on those prices from Wild Bills. Tried to find some CA at those far below retail prices, no luck. $12.80 was the cheapest I could find for the CA, guess who sells it for that?

Now that the nor'easter has past, hope to get some Fall flying time in!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 AM
stegl

Near end of May I ordered some top lipos from HK and took 3 weeks to get out the door even though they were to have been in stock. Then the wait began...... Fast backward and finally got them about 2 months later for a total of 2 months and 3 weeks. Filed a complaint
with their customer serviced asked for half of shipping cost back and got it. Didn't get greedy and they met me half way. Yes you get what you pay for and takes your chances.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:42 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Porcia-and just to think I took up for you! They said you howled at the moon and also you ........... I set the guy straight and told him you did not howl at the moon but probably he was correct on the other.

HOBBYKING STILL SUCKS
Old 10-25-2014, 01:13 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Porcia-and just to think I took up for you! They said you howled at the moon and also you ........... I set the guy straight and told him you did not howl at the moon but probably he was correct on the other.

HOBBYKING STILL SUCKS
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
People have lives, elsewhere.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 PM
matty_p80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fella, it isn't just the USA! HK IMHO is the pits when it comes to customer service! i have ordered from their UK warehouse and received absolutely appalling service! i ordered 2 X 3300 mAh 6S and 2 X 4500mAh 6S Nanotech matched cell LiPo's! i got them through the post fairly promptly (not as quick as one would expect as coming internally within the UK!!) but didn't get to use them for a few weeks after delivery! after only a few charges, one of the 4500 mAh #1 cell crapped out! i went through the process of sending photos of the offending article plugged in to a cell checker to prove the fault, only to be told as i hadn't reported the problem within the 14 days of receiving the battery it's not their problem!!! instead of just saying " Hey, we're sorry about that! here's a replacement!", thereby keeping the customer happy and subsequently coming back to purchase more, they make the customer jump through imaginary hoops only to see them off at the end of it!! i for, not one, but many am adamant that i will not purchase from them in the future and will dissuade anyone i know from being one of their customers!

cheers

Matty (UK)
Old 10-25-2014, 03:32 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Matty, that could be whole new thread HOBBYKING SUCKS WORLDWIDE-We will be breaking the 20,000 mark soon-

LONG LIVE THE HOBBYKING SUCKS THREAD!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by matty_p80
Fella, it isn't just the USA! HK IMHO is the pits when it comes to customer service! i have ordered from their UK warehouse and received absolutely appalling service! i ordered 2 X 3300 mAh 6S and 2 X 4500mAh 6S Nanotech matched cell LiPo's! i got them through the post fairly promptly (not as quick as one would expect as coming internally within the UK!!) but didn't get to use them for a few weeks after delivery! after only a few charges, one of the 4500 mAh #1 cell crapped out! i went through the process of sending photos of the offending article plugged in to a cell checker to prove the fault, only to be told as i hadn't reported the problem within the 14 days of receiving the battery it's not their problem!!! instead of just saying " Hey, we're sorry about that! here's a replacement!", thereby keeping the customer happy and subsequently coming back to purchase more, they make the customer jump through imaginary hoops only to see them off at the end of it!! i for, not one, but many am adamant that i will not purchase from them in the future and will dissuade anyone i know from being one of their customers!

cheers

Matty (UK)
Wow, where has service industry gone? It's hard to believe that they just wouldn't give you a refund because you asked. Appalling!

If I read your comments correctly, you bought a battery, agreed to the companies terms of service, and received the item fairly promptly. You then used the item, but failed to comply with the terms of service, later reporting the item as defective, even though you used it a few times. You then wanted a replacement, but the company said no. You felt the should have just given you one to "keep you happy and keep you coming back".

Do you see anything remotely wrong about your position? I'm wondering, what other vendor would do what you asked them to do, just to keep you happy? Is that same sized battery available at your local hobby shop? If so, how much is it? And can I ask how they would react to you coming in presenting them with a used battery and asking for a replacement for free?

I get that you are unhappy with your purchase, but I think your expectations are completely unrealistic. Looks like you've enlisted in the anti-HK brigade, heads up, it's going to be a looong haul.

If you read back a bit you'll see a post from a fellow member who is a huge supporter of local hobby shops. he was kind enough to list two online suppliers of hobby equipment that he uses. Once you get past the cognitive dissonance issues of that statement, perhaps you'll find a new battery supplier (Value hobby or HURC). In case those don't work for you, check out this company:

http://www.chinahobbyline.com/
Old 10-25-2014, 07:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

HOBBYKING STILL SUCKS
Plane Jim I wish I could decipher most of what you wrote. Perhaps it's just late. You took up for me...eh? Who is they? If you want to take up with they again, take up a collection, I could use some new RC toys.

and also you.......? Sorry, don't follow you. I've got some great ideas, but I'm not one to brag, so.... Spit out whatever you want to say, own it.

Matty, that could be whole new thread HOBBYKING SUCKS WORLDWIDE-We will be breaking the 20,000 mark soon-

Ya, not to nitpick and all, but this is actually the "Hobby king warning usa warehouse purchase" thread. At least that's what the OP titled it. Very very close to the 20,000 mark. I feel like we should celebrate and mark this occasion. Champagne...chips and dip, donuts? What's your poison over there at the airport?
[h=1][/h]
Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

It's done buddy....you/we/us did it.

• Replies: 585
  • Views: 20,029

Cashews for everyone!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Borat_Great_Success.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2042165  
Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

This thread started out as a warning for bad service hk gives, I know that this to be true because these threads keep poping up. That is the warning I have taken to be true, do not care if hk stuff is good if the service stinks!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
This thread started out as a warning for bad service hk gives, I know that hs to be true because these threads keep poping up. That is the warning I have taken to be true, do not care if hk stuff is good if the service stinks!
This thread certainly has, as has others, just wondering if you've noticed how many? 5, 10, 100? Have you ever wondered how many of these threads pop up compared to how many transactions they complete each day/month/year? Have you ever used them in the past? Do you base your buying decisions on what others say, or actual experience? Do you look at any of the positive comments from folks that have used them hundreds of times with no issues, or just the ones with problems?

I ask because those are some of the things I thought about before deciding to use them, as well as other vendors.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:36 PM
jim billings

The key to understanding this whole thread is that thought is taking place as opposed to Neanderthal type reaction. Makes you wonder how the HK haters were educated throughout their lives. Those who have had bad experiences with Hobby King are truly disappointed and honestly criticize the service. Those that simply hate HK, China, their position in life, and whatever else drives their weird mind will continue with the personal attacks and avoid any requests to put up or shut up. These guys know who they are and should apologize for their disgusting behavior.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:28 PM
FlyDon9

It is too bad that HK is the only sales outlet for the Durafly 1200mm electric airplanes.

FMS makes a lot of these 1200mm planes for HK under the Durafly label.

I find that size is perfect for me. The planes are in my opinion good quality at a great price. Being made by FMS I would expect good quality, problem is that HK is the sole distributor for these sized planes with the Durafly label.

Note, there are other Durafly planes made by other manufacturers, hence not all Durafly are made by FMS, Durafly is HK's own label.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:41 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
1. Wow, where has service industry gone? It's hard to believe that they just wouldn't give you a refund because you asked. Appalling!

If I read your comments correctly, you bought a battery, agreed to the companies terms of service, and received the item fairly promptly. 2. You then used the item, but failed to comply with the terms of service, later reporting the item as defective, even though you used it a few times. You then wanted a replacement, but the company said no. You felt the should have just given you one to "keep you happy and keep you coming back".

3. Do you see anything remotely wrong about your position? I'm wondering, what other vendor would do what you asked them to do, just to keep you happy? Is that same sized battery available at your local hobby shop? If so, how much is it? 4. And can I ask how they would react to you coming in presenting them with a used battery and asking for a replacement for free?

I get that you are unhappy with your purchase, 5. but I think your expectations are completely unrealistic. 6. Looks like you've enlisted in the anti-HK brigade, heads up, it's going to be a looong haul.

If you read back a bit you'll see a post from a fellow member who is a huge supporter of local hobby shops. he was kind enough to list two online suppliers of hobby equipment that he uses. Once you get past the cognitive dissonance issues of that statement, perhaps you'll find a new battery supplier (Value hobby or HURC). In case those don't work for you, check out this company:

http://www.chinahobbyline.com/
1. If you read the numerous threads/posts, HK has very poor customer service.

2. Of course he used it. How do you know whether something it's defective if you don't? It is quite reasonable to expect a replacement for something that failed after only a few uses. It's called customer service - see point 1.

3. The only thing wrong is he bought from HK. A vendor that values it's customers will help you out. It's called customer service - see point 1.

4. A vendor that values it's customers would help you out. It's called customer service - see point 1.

5. Maybe from HK, but a vendor that values it's customers would help you out. It's called customer service - see point 1.

6. Not by choice, HK has created this brigade. A vendor that values it's customers would help you out. It's called customer service - see point 1.

Notice the recurring theme above? Or do you still have your HK blinders on? As much as you claim you are not in HK's pocket, it sure appears that way. You go out of your way to say that you buy from other places and tell others to buy from other places as well, but this does appear to try and hide your undying support for HK. You are just trying too hard.

The following is an example of customer service.

I fly competitively and only use 1 brand of engine. Early this year I bought the latest engine from them and installed it. I had been using it for around 2 months when it developed a problem. The LHS I bought it from, didn't have spares at this stage and I was only 1 week away from going to a competition. I was supplied with a complete brand new engine, (free of charge), to use for spare parts to get my engine running and I was to return the engine after the competition along with the faulty parts. It didn't cost me 1 cent. I have also had parts on a engine that was 3-4 months old fail and the faulty parts were replaced free of charge. Would you get that from HK? Short answer - NO!

I always carry spare parts and buy from my LHS and Japan, (as the LHS doesn't always stock the parts I require). As one would expect, these don't get used for quite some time after the purchase. Over the last 10 years, both the LHS and Japanese supplier have replaced parts that have failed after I used them, sometimes months after the purchase. Again free of charge. The latest was very recently. I bought a particular item from Japan in April this year and I fitted this part to my engine 3 weeks ago. It was faulty right from the start. i contacted the supplier and returned it to them. I received an email from them 4 days ago saying a replacement part has been shipped. Again free of charge.

Sorry for the rant, but that's what customer service is. A company willing to help you out when items you bought from them fail. A company that respects you and values your business. A company that wants your return business.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry, but show me a company that will let you "use" batteries for a few weeks and then return them?,, Only takes one abusive "use" to kill a pack.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 AM
hairy46

I work hard for my money 12 on an 2 days off every other week, I just think that if a company wants some of what I worked hard for that they will work for it. When these threads keep showing up that means to me that HK is not working very hard for my money! There are to many places to go that have great customers service and that is where I will spend my money, we have no hobby store close so that is not an option. I do go to one I really like in Colorado when visiting my daughter. I do pay attention to what others have to say about a company. I have been looking for a stereo for my house and do see what is being said about the product. I do throw out a couple of the bad reviews because I know some people you just can't please. But if most is negative I do pass on the product. If HK ever wants any of my hard earned money they will work harder for the people that has to start these threads to warn us first! I am very grateful to those that take the time to warn us of such shameful services.

Last edited by hairy46; 10-26-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 AM
topspin

That is the worst possible argument for poor customer service. I really don't think this hobby is over run by schemers and scammers who just want to take advantage of poor Hobby King. There are literally hundreds of other hobby suppliers who offer excellent customer service. These companies actually provide replacements for defective merchandise and yet they manage to stay in business. I suspect that scammers are the rare exception and that the vast majority simply want what they paid for. Good companies are happy to provide that because they want you to come back and buy from them again. It's no secret that Hobby King subscribes to the P.T. Barnum customer service model of " a sucker born every minute", they obviously don't care if you come back or not. That only works for just so long before they run out of suckers.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Guys Guys Guys No one is listening to anyone here. Nobody is going to convince any one to their way of thinking
It all boils down to If U like HK or any other place then support them with your Dollars. If not boycott them and buy
else where. U all have way too much time on your hands. For those that still can (winter and all) go fly the rest of ya build.
This is the same old tired talk like "Chevy vs Ford" Useless at best stupid as always ... U all sound Like a bunch of kindergarteners.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Guys Guys Guys No one is listening to anyone here. Nobody is going to convince any one to their way of thinking
It all boils down to If U like HK or any other place then support them with your Dollars. If not boycott them and buy
else where. U all have way too much time on your hands. For those that still can (winter and all) go fly the rest of ya build.
This is the same old tired talk like "Chevy vs Ford" Useless at best stupid as always ... U all sound Like a bunch of kindergarteners.
Pot Kettle and name calling, classic!

If the wind would stop blowing over 20 mph here today, would love to fly. It's taking care of the leaves though!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by topspin
That is the worst possible argument for poor customer service. I really don't think this hobby is over run by schemers and scammers who just want to take advantage of poor Hobby King. There are literally hundreds of other hobby suppliers who offer excellent customer service. These companies actually provide replacements for defective merchandise and yet they manage to stay in business. I suspect that scammers are the rare exception and that the vast majority simply want what they paid for. Good companies are happy to provide that because they want you to come back and buy from them again. It's no secret that Hobby King subscribes to the P.T. Barnum customer service model of " a sucker born every minute", they obviously don't care if you come back or not. That only works for just so long before they run out of suckers.

Keep hearing about these "hundreds" of other hobby suppliers, but who are they? Other than the only one that seems to get mentioned (HURC). Who are these online vendors who would take back a used battery and replace it for free?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
I work hard for my money 12 on an 2 days off every other week, I just think that if a company wants some of what I worked hard for that they will work for it. When these threads keep showing up that means to me that HK is not working very hard for my money! There are to many places to go that have great customers service and that is where I will spend my money, we have no hobby store close so that is not an option. I do go to one I really like in Colorado when visiting my daughter. I do pay attention to what others have to say about a company. I have been looking for a stereo for my house and do see what is being said about the product. I do throw out a couple of the bad reviews because I know some people you just can't please. But if most is negative I do pass on the product. If HK ever wants any of my hard earned money they will work harder for the people that has to start these threads to warn us first! I am very grateful to those that take the time to warn us of such shameful services.
None of my earlier questions were answered, not that I really expected that, but......I'll give it another go. I get looking at reviews, but how many do you really see praising? The last item you bought that you liked, did you go to a website and start a thread saying "wow, I loved this XXX that I bought from XXXX, go buy one". Not many people do that. Even more so when it's this company? Why? Because people normally don't do that, and if they try that with HK, they get attacked and of course, they are instantly shills. There are probably an equal amount of people who share their positive buying, and selling services with HK, so why aren't those comments factored into your decision? Do you consider any of them, or is it just the bad comments that stop you from using them?

There isn't a large sized RC company that is going to work hard for your money. RC companies will make and sell there stuff to whoever wants to buy it. As with most thing, you get what you pay for. You want Mercedes quality and service, pay up, but don't expect that when you get a Ford Escort (had 4 of them, loved 'em).
Old 10-26-2014, 08:57 AM
hairy46

Still does not make me want to give my money to a place that known for their lousy service! Just can not convince me can you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.