Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Local police, the FAA and an irate neighbor

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Local police, the FAA and an irate neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:09 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sad, mad, good x nothing man
Old 09-07-2014, 03:33 PM
jeffharris75

1990-2000 I was an ultralight flight instructor at Plum Island Mass. The same issue with a neighbor culminated in my observation of fireworks rockets peppering the nose of my MU 582 training vehicle. Like models, we in UL industry had worked out safe operating procedures for ultralight training (pattern alt 400ft, no flight over congested areas etc). It became clear that the individual was ill when he tried to 'shoot me down' and we were required to address the situation through restraining orders.

As long as your field is not in controlled airspace on the area sectional, the FAA has no business in this case.
I am concerned for members safety in your club as this guy sounds like an alcoholic with dual diagnosis. No telling what he might try.

Then again, you could power up the chutes and attach xenon lights to them along with sci-fi sound synthesiser and voice distortion equipment. Fly over his property at night (need landing lights on your strip) and perform a War of the Worlds Skit!

Sorry, can't help myself.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Well, we had a couple guys with large gas planes fly today and do an approach and landing from the north end of the field, the complainant's end, while a couple of us sat in his trailer park to observe just how close the planes came to the trailer park and more specifically his house. They were not even close, not even crossing the road between his trailer park and our field. I realize this is only "anecdotal investigation" and proves nothing except confirming in our minds what we suspected all along--we are not over flying or threatening his house. This is not to say that some time in the past, a plane could have been out of control and over flew the trailer court, but none of the people who are flying these days knows or remembers anything about it. And this guy has been staying there just a bit over a year. If a plane had crashed on that side of the road in the last year, somebody at the field would surely be aware of it;
Old 09-08-2014, 03:00 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jolly,
the point about it being an anecdotal investigation was because it wasn't going to prove or disprove his complaint. As you've seemed to indicate, there might have been a point where one plane, even once, went over his house. That seemed to be his issue. At the initial complaint, perhaps a recognition of that and an assurance that it was not intentional, and wouldn't happen again would have been enough to calm the guy down. Or, he could just be one of those folks that would make it a "cause". Hopefully that's the end of it, and the issue will just go away now.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
He may be a bitter old man but he is also right. BTW the AMA guidelines on flying sites says that the overfly area should not be over people or buildings. So if you crash into his trailer the AMA will not pay for the damages and your club could lose its charter.

Really? The AMA offers "guidelines" nothing more on flying sites.Your insurance is in effect wherever you fly ( at the field or even a park) as long as your following the Safety Rules you agree ti when you sign up or renew. As far as if they would pay that's another story. just like any insurance.

Mike
Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by jeffharris75
1990-2000 i was an ultralight flight instructor at plum island mass. The same issue with a neighbor culminated in my observation of fireworks rockets peppering the nose of my mu 582 training vehicle. Like models, we in ul industry had worked out safe operating procedures for ultralight training (pattern alt 400ft, no flight over congested areas etc). It became clear that the individual was ill when he tried to 'shoot me down' and we were required to address the situation through restraining orders.

As long as your field is not in controlled airspace on the area sectional, the faa has no business in this case.
I am concerned for members safety in your club as this guy sounds like an alcoholic with dual diagnosis. No telling what he might try.

Then again, you could power up the chutes and attach xenon lights to them along with sci-fi sound synthesiser and voice distortion equipment. Fly over his property at night (need landing lights on your strip) and perform a war of the worlds skit!

Sorry, can't help myself.
(lmao) Cant get any better!!!

Last edited by chopper52; 09-08-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 AM
mscic-RCU

Since he claims to be a former RC'er, why don't you invite him to join you? Maybe he just feeling left out and is just lashing out to get attention. You catch more fly's with honey than vinegar.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:50 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

well, stop tucking your tails and letting him walk on the club. He's only one person, you guys need to get it together as a whole and squash that lil bug! I'd be having the club acquire an attorney to simply fire off a letter stating his actions are a clear form of harassment and will not be tolerated. Any further harassment will be dealt with legally to the extent of the law. He is also trespassing when entering the club so you need to have a restraining order issued. He obviously has a mental issue of some sort.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

Porcia is making a lot of sense if the objective for the flying club is to resolve this quickly and get back to flying, IF this person can be reasonable and assuming he has not been violent or threatened violence, in which case he faces legal issues. People sometimes become distracted by the Right vs. Wrong question losing sight of the objective, ie. solving the problem. However, if this guy is just acting like a c•nt , then maybe he needs a talk out at the old wood shed.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:13 AM
JollyPopper

Several folks have posted suggesting we counter this guy's threats by buddying up to him, inviting him to join us since he has stated that he is an ex-RCer. I think that might be a good idea except for two circumstances. Number one, the only time we as a group ever had a face to face with him was the day he was at our field, ranting and raving and making threats about closing us down using whatever means it took. We are not about to go to his house now and invite him to come out next Sunday and see first hand what we are actually doing and how much fun it is. Number two, the owner of our field has had several face to face encounters with him that did not go very well, and our owner has publicly stated and privately stated to him that he is not allowed to set foot on the property again and if he ever did, anyone who sees him on the property has permission to call the sheriff and have him arrested for trespassing. This is on file with the sheriff's office as well. The lines have been drawn in the sand, and I am not sure at this point how to reverse that. I do know that as of yesterday, the owner of our field has no intention of reversing it. Everything the guy has done since our initial meeting is via phone to the sheriff and letters to the FAA and whomever else he might have contacted. I suspect the course of this ship has been established and there is no turning it around at this point.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Timeflys

I don't get it. He doesn't even own the trailer or land it is on. Contact the trailer park owner and tell them he is causing problems. Maybe the owner of the trailer park doesn't like the guy either.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:31 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozarth
Once again, where did you get that? It is certainly not the case in Colorado where sellers have to disclose issues with the product, the house. They have to disclose water leaks, whether repaired or not, water damage around the sink, if they had a roofiing company come out and inspect and saw significant damage to gutters, windows, and shingles, etc....But nowhere in the state disclosure form do sellers have to disclose that a loudmouth drunk lives next door with nonstop barking dogs, Mr. wannabe mechanice rev's his hotrods in the wee hours of the morning, or that there is a group of dorks who fly loud toy airplanes less than a mile away! The Buyer's discovery of such items would legally allow the buyer to cancel the contract and receive any earnest monies deposited. It these items were not discovered until after closing, the new homeowners (buyers) would have to sue in the civil courts. Piece of cake!
The legal phrase "As is where is", and right of inspection prior to sale exempts sellers in this area and many others. In other words "buyer beware"!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM
JPGale

Originally Posted by chuckk2
The legal phrase "As is where is", and right of inspection prior to sale exempts sellers in this area and many others. In other words "buyer beware"!
When I was selling my Condo here in California, I had to state things like that, if there had been a model airfield next-door (how cool would that be!) I would have had to disclose it. Then again this is California and I am sure somewhere I had to disclose that I had farted in the property at some point and there may be a risk of some cancer causing element from the lingering smell.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by init4fun
There is so much "locker room Lawyer" crap being slung around this thread that I feel sad to see the Op's point being lost in all this . These flyers have done nothing wrong except for having the misfortune of running into a jerk like their new not so friendly neighbor .

Now , with that outta the way , I'd like to address this little gem that I quoted . I live about 36 miles away from Plymouth Rock . Yes , THAT Plymouth Rock , which is about as New England as your gonna get and yes we DO have 4 awesome seasons of which only one is cold ! And bitter ? Bitter is just the state of mind of those who haven't yet come to terms with the fact that winter is SUPPOSED to be COLD ! How else can ya run snowmobiles , snowboards , and skis without SNOW ? A world with no change of seasons to enjoy the best of each would be a far more bitter world than one where the occasional deep freeze keeps the bugs and bad drivers in check , that's for sure .

I count not having to mow the lawn all winter , , , among the benefits of having winter .
Plus you get a real building season. I live in Florida where a lot of the Winter really does mean it's just cold and miserable. No pretty snow to go with the cold. Just wet, cold miserable rain and no upside. I mean if it's going to be cold anyway, might as well have the snow to go with it, right?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by abelard
Now THAT's an eternal truth. Everybody thinks he's a lawyer -- and people who act on their free advice can be depended on not to do it TWICE...;-)
The great thing about advice is the people giving it don't have to suffer the consequences when the person it's inflicted on decide to take it and it doesn't work out so well for them.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
CafeenMan

I don't know how well this would work but maybe when you guys are flying you take turns posting a spotter on the road that goes by his house and possibly even video at all times and never ever edit it. Archive it all so you have evidence that can be pulled if he ever makes any claims you can show start to finish for ever day you flew that no plane ever crossed that line.

You might need two cameras so you can change batteries/drives without having an interruption in the footage.

Or maybe get a Soldier of Fortune magazine and hire a "Problem Solver" from the classifieds.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Why invite him to fly? Why being nice to a guy that is not nice in any way to you? I really don't understand the psychology behind this
Old 09-09-2014, 04:09 AM
CafeenMan

I wouldn't do it but the idea is to take the high ground and be the better people.

I also wouldn't take the low ground and behave as he was. I would do my best and just remain as professional about it as possible. Hence my previous post (except for the tongue-in-cheek soldier of fortune part).
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 AM
TampaRC

Cops can't demand ID unless there is reasonable suspicion that you committed or are about to commit a crime. This is a basis for a lawsuit. Cops will do this in order to run your background in hopes that you have something that you can be arrested for.
Even if they have no reasonable suspicion, they will ask for ID knowing that most of the population is too afraid to say no.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:59 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TampaRC
Cops can't demand ID unless there is reasonable suspicion that you committed or are about to commit a crime. This is a basis for a lawsuit. Cops will do this in order to run your background in hopes that you have something that you can be arrested for.
Even if they have no reasonable suspicion, they will ask for ID knowing that most of the population is too afraid to say no.
While your correct as far as the ID, why even push the cops buttons? This is a touchy situation why risk alienating the cops? Since the club has done nothing wrong and is trying to be proactive isn't it easier to be cooperative? Holding on to flying fields is hard enough isn't it?

Mike
Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 AM
JollyPopper

I agree with the asking for ID thing. Why would they need to know the identity of a flyer (or anyone else) unless they had reason to believe he was doing something illegal? What possible reason would they have to know his name? I may be wrong, but I have understood all my life that the authorities actually have to observe you doing something wrong or have a warrant for your arrest to ask for ID. As I said in an earlier post, without it, we are edging closer to nazi Germany or communist Russia. I wonder if they ask the guy across the street for is ID when they go talk to him.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

Or modern day Russia
Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM
dingo9882

Jolly, have you heard anything new from the guy that made the complaint? It seems the last time people were flying you had spotters out there by his trailer, is this correct? Because it seems that since that point he hasn't made any more noise. He may have figured out that this was a loosing battle. What I think will probably happen soon is if this guy keeps making complaints the cops might actually go after him and not you guys. It is possible that could happen.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

We had this problem and we solved it. We had a noise complaint "interveener."

We started an after-school program and got a couple dozen kids out there on the field. We brought them out to the field 10-12 at a time. We added a huge RC car track to keep them all busy while we were flying with a couple. We consequently have an "open door" to the Superintendent's office. We also fly with some of the kids in the gym in the winter. We even tapped a couple public grants for 6 cars and 2 planes + accessories. Now we have public $s flowing in to support the kids, and we are supported by the Grant Providers, etc. We just put up a large Pavilion on the field which was paid for by a grant. All these people we interact with are supporters, especially the student's parents!

Then we hold a couple events each year, and we get our businesses involved with advertising in our fliers and supporting the club with donations, etc. This establishes an economic benefit for them and the surrounding community. We also pass out pilot discount cards at the events. If the flyers go into town and present the card, each business gives them a discount or gift or something, etc. This way our businesses know our flyers are there spending $s.

Then we got someone (me) on the local governmental unit's board/council. I also suggest getting another flyer on the Planning Commission for eyes and ears as to what is going on that could impact the club. A little preventative discussion can go a long ways to stop something not yet in-progress or pending, etc.

Let's face it, ... these days if you want to keep your field, your club has to do something more than drill holes in the airspace. And that something should include some preventive preparation for a field challenge versus reacting to one after it starts.

We also recruited the local Airport Manager. We trained him on RC, and he now is a club officer. We now fly at his active airport and integrate our events and routine flying activities with full scale traffic. We have several full scale pilots that speak in support of the club. Some have joined the club Some fly in to our events and line their planes upon the end of our flight line. MDOT Aero Division regulates our airport. We have met with them, and they have proven to be very supportive of RC operations and the methods we use to integrate with the full-scale pilots, etc.

When the real potentially show-stopping challenge comes (i.e. the jurisdictional governmental unit is considering talking action against the club) with the parents of the school kids, some school administrators, some business owners and other Board members gathered in room and all of these folks are speaking in support of the club, it is very hard for any board to take action against the club. Combine that with your regulator's support and you have a wining environment! Once we accomplished the above "preventative measures," our "interveener" was nicely told that there was going to be no action taken. Also, ...

Get AMA Chartered and ask the "Field Challenge staff" for help. Why reinvent the "save your field wheel," especially with some of the B.S. "advice" you have been getting in this thread being on the rather extreme end?

Bottom Line: If you want to ensure you keep your field, you need to develop in depth community support for the club before the challenge!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:48 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Nice job Len! What age group are the kids in and how many are showing a continued interest in flying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.