Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I'm not alone. Am I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:44 AM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In todays fragmented world, you don't have to appeal only to the adrenalin junkies. Model trains are pretty straight forward - you build a layout, then run some trains around a fixed track -not much crash action, . Yet they manage to get some traction in the media. I havent checked Direct TV for a while, but a couple of years back their RFD channel was carrying a program called "I Love Toy Trains". There are also Internet sites that are more aimed at the train hobby. For example, check out www model-railroad.tv . Its pretty well organized and has a primary visual focus around many aspects of the hobby.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's one I found.
http://www.rctvlive.com/
This is what happens:
"RCTV started back in 1995 as an informative, entertaining half hour program dedicated to all aspects of the radio control hobby."

Their definition of "all aspects" is... cars.

Flitetest.com may be too simplistic for some, but it is an example of what gets people into the hobby.
As I mentioned earlier, it is not as easy as falling off a log to create compelling video.
Flitetest caught my attention from 1) the cheap, decent foamies they showed me how to build, 2) great video that had tons of air-to-air video. Really shows off the models.
I think they show the minimum package you have to have to get people interested.
Cheers, Pete....
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I recall about 15 or so years ago DIY on HGTV would have a show on RC once every month or two. But that was before YouTube. Since those interested in RC can get everything the need on YouTube (an more) there is no need to sow it on TV. Any more the only things I watch on TV are 10 year old reruns - there is nothing new on TV I am interested in watching. Either they have driven every dance more into the ground or completely run out of plots for a show that only had a one year concept in the first place.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
There have been some attempts in the past for shows about the hobby that made an attempt to bring it out the the general public. But unfortunately none of them were ever successful. I could be wrong, but I think that the target market would be small compared to the production costs for putting together a show. Trust me, I've spent a lot of time behind a camera covering events for RCU and I've thought about this same idea myself and wondered if it could be done, and if so how it would happen. My fears is that in today's "shock reality" show environment that any show that would showcase RC may wind up doing the hobby more harm than good if isn't not done right.

I do know of one thing though. For next year RCU wants me to step up and increase the amount of coverage that I do on events, so I'll get out there there and try to bring more events back to the members of RCU.

As you raise this idea though, it does raise the ideas of what a show could be like. Like I said above, if done incorrectly it could really hurt the hobby big time. What would the members of RCU like to see in a show like that??? You never know, maybe we can get an RCU channel somewhere and get a show of our own put together!!!

Ken
There have been several attempts for a modeling show. Right now I don't have the specifics in my specifics, yet I do remember that they are all gone. Look at the magazines that have failed as time goes by. The big boys, "High Flight" is GONE! "Flying Models" from way back when I was a kid is "GONE"! There are a number of magazines that came and are now "GONE". I don't remember the names but several TV shows have come and are "GONE".
"Model Airplane News" has really changed just in this past several months. Once some 140 pages +/-, down to 106 pages now and almost 100% just advertising or supporting advertisements. Jim Thomerson in item #3 pretty well says it all.
Model airplanes as a sport, a hobby, etc., etc, has far too much diversity to really provide a show that will keep the interests that would be required of the modern needs for any significant group of today. Most of the above individuals have a good understanding of such requirements. The quality of such a show will, IMO, not bear the costs of today's requirements of such a show.
I think Jim Thomerson has it well put together. It is not only the inhabitants of Muncie City that are "unaware..." of the NATS being there, it is, again my opinion, that the managers of aeromodeling in Muncie have little care of just what Muncie could be all about. If Muncie's aero-modeling management cannot (or will not) make the grade, then I don't think anyone else will make the grade. OTOH if those that REALLY want to accomplish something big time, well just maybe so. I would not try it. You see, some years ago I and another really good man in aeromodeling offered to assure that Muncie could and would have a very large and good camper place. Muncie turned us down. What would they do with a show, when they turned down a show-place for campers?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:05 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry made a duplicate post caus RCU didn't seem to have posted my boring long crap.
Well it has all seemed to have vanished into RCU never never land ... Lucky Me/U

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to find people like this guy, building scale trucks from BOARDS, then taking interestingly shot HD video. I am mainly into airplanes but this guy can hold your attention. One of his videos shows a build from hand sawing the board to finish, and he has a cool 1/4 scale rally car also.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3...Gj03-VlunM7OAw

Also humor and expert level craftsmanship would help ...

Though personally to me TV is the same as newspapers and magazines.. behind the times, they try to tell me when and where I have to watch.. and there is no interaction. Broadcast TV is a dinosaur.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

With all the media on the internet... why would anyone even think about going into network/public television. There is now probably/literally hundreds of RC related shows.. with more popping up every day.. and most are totally interactive with the viewers being able to comment, and have input.. I'm sure these are not all as sophisticated and professional as some would like.. but there are a few that are very entertaining and informative. A big key is having the sponsors that will back the shows... just like this site, and many more like it have sponsors that pay for it.... and for somebodys salary somewhere... as I would imagine theres only few in the admin of this site that have acual paid positions... just like the YouTube and internet shows..

It would be about getting the big networks to back a show about RC... I'm enjoying "Airplane Repo".. and "Counting Cars".. "American Restoration".. and a few others like that... So... I'd say if someone wants an RC show... find a local hobby shop with some drama going on.. take some cameras in and see what happens.... haha.... just kidding.. Its just far-fetched that an RC show would make it in the mainstream media outside of the web... Maybe in time, as the internet is taking over mainstream network TV.. and the "smart TV" is taking over...therein lies a key I think.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:43 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How has nobody brought up FliteTest yet?

That YouTube channel has probably brought more people into the hobby than any other factor in the past five years, and has a far greater audience than TV ever will. They recently hosted a fly-in that easily rivalled Joe Nall after existing for only a few years. Everyone I know who recently has gotten into R/C has started by watching FliteTest videos... People I know who aren't even in the hobby know about FliteTest!

It's also 100% image positive, which is hard to do with so much "drone" nonsense going around.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 PM
jerryjones832

yes chris was killed in a accident and they canceled the show
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there was such a show until the host passed away in 2009

http://www.diynetwork.com/radio-cont...how/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Chianelli
Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
How has nobody brought up FliteTest yet?

That YouTube channel has probably brought more people into the hobby than any other factor in the past five years, and has a far greater audience than TV ever will. They recently hosted a fly-in that easily rivalled Joe Nall after existing for only a few years. Everyone I know who recently has gotten into R/C has started by watching FliteTest videos... People I know who aren't even in the hobby know about FliteTest!

It's also 100% image positive, which is hard to do with so much "drone" nonsense going around.
I think someone mentioned them earlier. They do have great videos, well produced, and goofy and fun at the same time. Love their interchangeable planes, the FT Duster especially.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 AM
rcjunky67

HA HA YEAH BABY!!! I gotta think that if a dumb*** like me ,(with my big giant eighth grade brain) can start a thread here on RCU , in what I'm assuming is one of the more obscure , (I may be wrong about this) forums , that can elicit such a response(AND THANK YOU ONE AND ALL THAT HAVE CHIMED IN) then I think it's fair to surmise the interest is their

That being said, how often do any of you tune in to "this old house" on a regular, or even somewhat regular basis? And that show has been on for how long? My point wasn't that we needed a show, singular, but rather an entire channel revolving around this industry. There are plenty of argument's and pro's n con's and why for's and why not's. My original point was that I am tired of the dribble being force fed to me and all the dang commercial's about absolute crap that I've no interest in, what so ever.And my dumb*** , just like most of you, is paying my hard earned $$$ for it...

There are a lot of ideas, good and not so good both, listed here in this thread.My point being, THIRTY-SIX post in one day. That my friends is passion . And that is why I must say,detractor's aside, it's nice to see that I, after all am not alone. THANK YOU ALL...

Not exactly sure why something like "Flight Test" wouldn't translate into a descent half our show. And why not something like this "this old plane" work too. Geared around 'vintage' and 'old timer' models, and how bout 'Free Flight T.V. , and it goes on.
And of course,"3D T.V."

The idea is to include all facet's of RC, whether you as an individual, respectively , likes it or not. And to think that it wouldn't attract advertiser's outside our industry would be folly ... Just for a moment, go back to the last big,and even some smaller event's that you may have attended and think about what "outside the industry" companies you may have seen represented there. I can't think a lot of you haven't seen "Coke" or "pepsi" sign's there.

The $$$ is there, the interest is there for sure. the only thing that's lacking , far as I can see is the will to just do it. And I for one don't want to have to sit in front of my PC to check out what's going on with this hobby we all hold dear.

As before, "THANK YOU ALL" I appreciate that you've taken the time to give voice to this idea
Old 10-11-2014, 03:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

"this old plank"....ha! Classic. Now that would be a show!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:30 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Chris was quite the front man.
Here is a link to Remembering Chris Chianelli and links to some of his shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbd...A3C2E6&index=1

Greg
Old 10-11-2014, 03:55 AM
CafeenMan

"This old house"

Well, everyone needs a home so it's not a good comparison.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
"This old house"

Wait...doesn't everyone need a RC plane (or more)?
Old 10-11-2014, 02:16 PM
rcjunky67

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
"This old house"

I think you may be missing my point, cafeenman, I'm 48 this year and that show has been around for a really long time. But who really watches it? Don't get me wrong, surely it must have a following or it wouldn't have been around for so long. But that is my point , A hobby network of course would not be for every one out there...

But for those of us that would take the time to tune in, it would be great. I'm just pointing out that there are and has been shows on for a while now that don't exactly cater to the masses. Thanks for your response...
Old 10-11-2014, 02:29 PM
rcjunky67

Originally Posted by porcia83
Wait...doesn't everyone need a RC plane (or more)?
Well , I'd like to think this would be a good thing. But, somehow I don't see it being so. There's certainly no shortage of proof that there are those that treat this hobby and the "toy's" that we play with , with no where near the respect they deserve. That being said , I'm well beyond the day's of having nothing more than dirt to play with, and still being happy.

I've worked all my life to take care of my responsibilities, and I'm finally at a point in the journey that I can afford to get into this hobby that I've only been able to dream about for what seem's like forever. I know that it's not the same for all of us. But, for the last six years of my life it's been great to be involved with it. And I just think,when I'm constantly surfing channel's, that this is an idea long past due. I was really just curious if anyone else felt the same. Thanks for your response porchia83...
Old 10-11-2014, 02:39 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

One thing I have not seen any one notice, We all are in this hobby. So when a new review comes on we say oh, another plane flying around with bad photography or a movie clip with Joe Blo flying his new ??? around the field for twenty minutes. But the outsiders don't see it that way. IF they are interested they say "Wow that's cool" I'd love to do that.
I, am on a HotRod truck/car site. I have introduced and got going 4 people interested enough to begin flying RC. Some again, and some first timers. A lot of pictures, equipment, planes. building or Assembling an arf. is what I've shown them.

Just my opinion, I think an outsiders view and the interest process should come from a couple of new Guys/Gals. Show them in the Club house beginning their first aircraft with a veteran builder giving the helping hand.(Instructing. Thinking of Grey beard here) Show Him or Her going through the complete build process and on through their first flights. I think the subject new guy/gal should be a younger person that could be followed through this process. Of course other info is needed to be thrown in. Like new items, Reviews etc.etc
Old 10-11-2014, 03:15 PM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by rcjunky67
I think you may be missing my point, cafeenman, I'm 48 this year and that show has been around for a really long time. But who really watches it? Don't get me wrong, surely it must have a following or it wouldn't have been around for so long. But that is my point , A hobby network of course would not be for every one out there...

But for those of us that would take the time to tune in, it would be great. I'm just pointing out that there are and has been shows on for a while now that don't exactly cater to the masses. Thanks for your response...
OK, I did miss your point then. I don't know what kind of following it has but I assumed it had a fair following for a not-prime-time slot. I really don't know. What I thought you were saying was that it was a specialty show so that's what I was responding to. My mistake. Sorry.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
CafeenMan

Well , I'd like to think this would be a good thing. But, somehow I don't see it being so. There's certainly no shortage of proof that there are those that treat this hobby and the "toy's" that we play with , with no where near the respect they deserve. That being said , I'm well beyond the day's of having nothing more than dirt to play with, and still being happy.

I've worked all my life to take care of my responsibilities, and I'm finally at a point in the journey that I can afford to get into this hobby that I've only been able to dream about for what seem's like forever. I know that it's not the same for all of us. But, for the last six years of my life it's been great to be involved with it. And I just think,when I'm constantly surfing channel's, that this is an idea long past due. I was really just curious if anyone else felt the same. Thanks for your response porchia83...
This is one of those opinions where I'm always in the minority and I'm absolutely convinced I'm right as there is a ton of evidence that everyone says, "Yes but..." to and dismisses. It's one of those things where they say, "If only..." and finish the sentence with something to the effect of reality being different than it is.

And where my opinion differs is that the majority opinion is that the hobby needs more and more people. And man do I strongly disagree. More people means more chances for yahoos who get us the wrong kind of attention. Which means more chances for authority to step in and more chances for sweeping changes that affect all of us.

My buddy says that more people gets us more stuff and more advancement. I mean what more could we possibly want? Seriously? We're getting more. And we'll continue to get more. With a lot fewer people we'd still get more.

15 years ago we didn't have quads. How long ago was it we didn't have brushless motors? How long ago was it we didn't have 2.4 GHz? When I entered the hobby proportional was pretty new. There are people in the hobby who remember single channel. There are people in the hobby who had to build their own radios.

We have FPV. We have 3-axis flight stabilization. We can fly with cell phones. We have radios that have computers that you couldn't even buy for your home when I was a kid.

But now we also have jackholes out there doing all kinds of crazy stuff and posting it on YouTube and the public is taking notice and we're infighting trying to decide who is us and who isn't us.

And it really does matter.

A big part of the problem as I see it is that there is absolutely no emotional investment if the model is not much of a financial investment and no blood, sweat and tears went into creating it.

And I don't have a big personal issue with ARFs contrary to the popular, "he's just jealous because he had to build all his and I don't". That's not what it's about for me. I just know for a fact that things I bought and broke are not as heartbreaking to me as things I built and broke. I've had planes that were very inexpensive that I put a lot of labor into that I lost and it was heartbreaking. The money didn't matter.

So these guys who buy some inexpensive foamy from banana whoever or a pre-built quad and then go out and make jerks of themselves and scare the crap out of people in the park when they crash it into their picnic are doing us a lot of damage. And when they walk away from the hobby and wash their hands of it then it's nothing to them.

If it were up to me I'd make it seem less easy to get into the hobby. Get people who are really committed and have the right attitude and stop getting the ADHD folks who want a quick fix and jump from one thing to the next and don't take anything seriously.

We have this whole quantity thing going on when we should be focusing on quality.\

My whole life has been about this hobby. It's why I chose the classes I did in high school (7 maths). It's why I bought a computer (to learn CAD so I could draw my plans). It's why I learned photography. It's why I've chosen every place I've ever lived - always had to have a real shop space, not a dining room table.

I've been building models since I was maybe 7 or 8. It's what I do. It's not all about RC planes. I call myself a model builder. It's mostly RC but not exclusively. I don't expect everyone to be like me but I at least expect everyone to have the courtesy to not screw it up for those of us who care about it. At least not without it being an honest mistake and not just bad behavior.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:36 PM
CafeenMan

Who is Chris Chianelli and what happened to him?

Edit; OK, I found him on YouTube so I know who he is. Still don't know what happened to him.

Last edited by CafeenMan; 10-11-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

I get what your saying. At our club, we welcome anyone who stops at our club to stick around and watch whats going on. If they end up joining and show up at the field with a Harbor Freight two channel foamy, or a giant scale multi thousand dollar heli, I'm just as pleased as can be, they are welcomed into the club the same. We've grown quite a lot in the last 3 years, over 40 new members. Many of them are in the same boat as you describe, finally able to get into the hobby. We're pleased as punch to have them, just as much as we are to see a new member for our club coming over from other ones. Many of the new members (both to the club and the hobby) show up after our events where they watched. They wanted to be on the other side of the fence. Some get their kids to join too (that's my favorite type of new member). Some decide not the join, but still want information on what kind of plane to get, they heard so and so has a cheap one etc etc. We're happy to at least give them some reasonable options. Overall, the more people flying the better.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:56 PM
CafeenMan

People coming into the club aren't the people I'm talking about though. A lot of our technology has trickled outside or our hobby as you know and is now cheap toys and is widely available.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 PM
rick hamel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd love to watch a show on vacuum bagging exotic materials-not to mention wind tunnel tests of different aircraft configurations--but that's me-the average guy could care less --when Burt Rutan managed to send the Voyager around the world our local news showed it landing and spent 15 seconds explaining what it was -then switched to 15 minutes of local woman's basket ball scores.!!! Just another example as to why -as a nation -we are in trouble!!!! My 2% of the diminishing dollar----if you could get some of the guys from the WWF to beat each other to submission with a composite jet model--you'd draw a crowd-then again -nothing a good public hangin wouldn't produce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.