Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

rctruths

Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% and RC Universe is the only site I know that has a dedicated forum for unbiased user reviews on everything from radios to planes, to engines. That one single feature is what brought me to this site in the first place because I could get real honest feedback from guys like me before making a purchase or find and fix issues in a model before it became a problem.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:24 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Posting to this thread got me to thinking about RCT , and of the folks there who do post up decent RC content . I looked in on the "model engines" subforum there and was happy to see it thriving with posts of both glow and spark ignition engines . There are several great build threads as well , and I really am looking forward to seeing Curtis' results with the Guillow Bellanca that he will convert to electric with retracts and ailerons .
Old 11-10-2014, 05:29 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

A welcoming and mature bunch they are
Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 AM
topspin

Glad to see you finally posted something over there, I was beginning to hear the crickets chirping.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by TheEdge
A welcoming and mature bunch they are
Yes I saw that today when I posted for the first time in a year.

Disappointing to see such negative attitudes in this hobby as it helps nobody.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-08-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Rob ,

I 100% agree that the negative actions of posters attacking other posters with different views IS forum poison and serves the Truth no good !

A site such as the Truth , with it's unique "anything goes" ethos , faces it's biggest problem in that it's not just companies who get bashed/praised , it's the fellow posters who hold different views that get skewered as well . As we all know , this drives folks away . One thing I try to always remember is that we are all RCers and wouldn't be here unless we were , and it's darned rare for everybody to agree with everyone . The ugly comes out when , for example , someone praises a company or site that someone else has had a bad experience with and the disgruntled take that as "open season" on the fellow poster . I've certainly been guilty of this in the past but realized how foolish I looked barking at everyone and anyone who put the letters "H" and "K" in a positive light . This was seen recently over there as the guy Pat was defending his friend Frank Murocflyer and again the ugly came out . Pat's friendship with Frank has exactly nothing to do with Pat's "modeling cred" as the theme of that thread devolved to . I happen to think Frank IS a decent sort who is doing his best to put RC in a favorable light and I do not think he is the self aggrandizing showman that some there think he is . Either way , like Frank or not , there was no need for that thread to get to the "I build more than you so my opinion matters more" bit of ugliness that it did .

I saw the error of MY ways in attacking people who disagree with me on line . Changes nothing and wastes much time . I may still respectfully disagree with ideas or positions held by people , but have no use for the kinds of personal attack dealt to Pat when he spoke up .

Kinda sad how respect and common courtesy really ain't all that common in the faceless abstract of the online world ........
Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Rob ,

I 100% agree that the negative actions of posters attacking other posters with different views IS forum poison and serves the Truth no good !

A site such as the Truth , with it's unique "anything goes" ethos , faces it's biggest problem in that it's not just companies who get bashed/praised , it's the fellow posters who hold different views that get skewered as well . As we all know , this drives folks away . One thing I try to always remember is that we are all RCers and wouldn't be here unless we were , and it's darned rare for everybody to agree with everyone . The ugly comes out when , for example , someone praises a company or site that someone else has had a bad experience with and the disgruntled take that as "open season" on the fellow poster . I've certainly been guilty of this in the past but realized how foolish I looked barking at everyone and anyone who put the letters "H" and "K" in a positive light . This was seen recently over there as the guy Pat was defending his friend Frank Murocflyer and again the ugly came out . Pat's friendship with Frank has exactly nothing to do with Pat's "modeling cred" as the theme of that thread devolved to . I happen to think Frank IS a decent sort who is doing his best to put RC in a favorable light and I do not think he is the self aggrandizing showman that some there think he is . Either way , like Frank or not , there was no need for that thread to get to the "I build more than you so my opinion matters more" bit of ugliness that it did .

I saw the error of MY ways in attacking people who disagree with me on line . Changes nothing and wastes much time . I may still respectfully disagree with ideas or positions held by people , but have no use for the kinds of personal attack dealt to Pat when he spoke up .

Kinda sad how respect and common courtesy really ain't all that common in the faceless abstract of the online world ........
Well said Init.
I admit to finding Robs opportunity to point out the negative rather disappointing but the Truth of the matter is that of the few that still post over there, there remain a couple that have a very different outlook but that is life in general anyway.
I did also like though Rob, how you responded over there, tastefully done.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 AM
topspin

I read Robs post and I felt like the response to it was narrow minded and frankly, kind of childish. This is a very diverse hobby and there are plenty of people who are passionate about multi-copters and likewise plenty who are into fixed wing, and let's not forget RC boats and cars.

I don't see how a single poll can be thought of as representing the direction of an entire site or how the results are not credible because they are not within someone's sphere of interest. Rob was very adult in his response and I can't say that I would have been that nice. That site started out OK but I found that it was like the most beautiful lake you have ever seen except that it was only three inches deep. It's a dictatorship with far more restrictions than the sites that they continue to bash on a regular basis. As long as you agree with Admin everything is just fine but the second you have divergent ideas it gets tenuous. Too bad, it could have been good.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:17 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Originally Posted by topspin
I read Robs post and I felt like the response to it was narrow minded and frankly, kind of childish. This is a very diverse hobby and there are plenty of people who are passionate about multi-copters and likewise plenty who are into fixed wing, and let's not forget RC boats and cars.

I don't see how a single poll can be thought of as representing the direction of an entire site or how the results are not credible because they are not within someone's sphere of interest. Rob was very adult in his response and I can't say that I would have been that nice. That site started out OK but I found that it was like the most beautiful lake you have ever seen except that it was only three inches deep. It's a dictatorship with far more restrictions than the sites that they continue to bash on a regular basis. As long as you agree with Admin everything is just fine but the second you have divergent ideas it gets tenuous. Too bad, it could have been good.
Admin has been called out many times for his actions and comments by people who still have accounts there.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Rob2160

Thanks for the comments Gents and I agree.

I realise it was just one person and there are others on the site who are posting great information about engines and builds.

It will be difficult for that site to grow though if newcomers are immediately treated with suspicion. People just won't bother.

Init, I agree with your comments and also saw the foolishness of insulting people that I actually now respect highly on this site. We live and learn.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't post anywhere but the engines forum and even thats losing steam over at RCT, but I have read some of the threads elsewhere on the site and chose not to participate as I didn't feel anything I do will be well received or my experience having much merit. I try not to bash other folks or their views though I am by no means a saint. I keep my distance and I don't get bashed... Not a bad trade off I guess unless someone catches wind of me running an Enya 4-stroke 1.20 on a 13x7 prop. Then I might catch hell I guess.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And why would you run a 13/7 on a 4-stroker?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 PM
topspin

A better question would be why not?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by tailskid
And why would you run a 13/7 on a 4-stroker?
Because it has such bad fuel stand-off on big props it makes a HUGE mess. Plus, Enyas like to rev! My R120 likely will never fly a plane anyway - I got that engine to put on my big airboats.

Originally Posted by topspin
A better question would be why not?
Now THAT's the stuff!

To the folks that think I'm nuts: I am! But don't knock it until you try it! LoL.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck 1QwkSport2.5r, I was hoping to get into a pissing contest with you so we could call each other bad names and create a fuss <g>.......Airboat eh? Minnesota might have a lake or two around you....oh wait, 10,000 lakes (and 3 fish)!

Lived in Northrop MN for 5 years (near Fairmont, south of Mankato).....glad to see that city in my rear view mirror
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
- I got that engine to put on my big airboats.

Any pics? I'd love to see that size airboat. I had a few smaller 0.15 and 0.049 size airboats when younger. Lots of fun, water was optional, they worked on grass, concrete and dirt also.

Pic is not mine but exactly the same model and colour

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32099.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2053267  

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-08-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by tailskid
Heck 1QwkSport2.5r, I was hoping to get into a pissing contest with you so we could call each other bad names and create a fuss <g>.......Airboat eh? Minnesota might have a lake or two around you....oh wait, 10,000 lakes (and 3 fish)!

Lived in Northrop MN for 5 years (near Fairmont, south of Mankato).....glad to see that city in my rear view mirror
Hah! I'd rather go to the zoo and watch the monkeys throw crap at one another than get into pissing contests... If it will make you feel better, I can call you a jerk!

We got plenty of water here no doubt! Born and raised here and won't ever leave. Call me a crazy fool, but I love it here.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Any pics? I'd love to see that size airboat. I had a few smaller 0.15 and 0.049 size airboats when younger. Lots of fun, water was optional, they worked on grass, concrete and dirt also.

Pic is not mine but exactly the same model and colour

I'll list a few vid links first... All of my boats are scratch build. Some from sparse plans, others totally copied designs that I shot from the hip with.
Balsa/liteply/birch outrigger, TT .46 powered: http://youtu.be/rs_c9DJww0w
Enya R120 powered Kamikaze RC airboat on grass (balsa/birch): http://youtu.be/Ub0mfQ7Lp1g
Kamikaze on water: (lame video, small pond..) http://youtu.be/dUUC1GWJfgQ
The barn burner... Selph Inflicted SI3 .20 series with Jett .35. First speed run (birch/antique maple): http://youtu.be/UtU1aUSGzdA
Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Rob2160

I'll list a few vid links first... All of my boats are scratch build. Some from sparse plans, others totally copied designs that I shot from the hip with.
Balsa/liteply/birch outrigger, TT .46 powered: http://youtu.be/rs_c9DJww0w
Enya R120 powered Kamikaze RC airboat on grass (balsa/birch): http://youtu.be/Ub0mfQ7Lp1g
Kamikaze on water: (lame video, small pond..) http://youtu.be/dUUC1GWJfgQ
The barn burner... Selph Inflicted SI3 .20 series with Jett .35. First speed run (birch/antique maple): http://youtu.be/UtU1aUSGzdA
Thanks great videos. Your boats track as straight as arrows, mine were designed for 0.049s but I used the 0.15s to add throttle control. Full power would flip them over due to the torque and top heaviness.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2053277  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Thanks great videos. Your boats track as straight as arrows, mine were designed for 0.049s but I used the 0.15s to add throttle control. Full power would flip them over due to the torque and top heaviness.
Wet rudders and size make all the difference. Most of my boats are way overpowered. I have 5 boats total with a scratchbuilt hovercraft I'm starting that will have two .15's on. The big ones are 32"Lx18"W and 38"Lx22"W. The little hydro with the Jett .35 is like 22"Lx16"W. They're a lot of fun - sure beats going to the bar or having Internet forum pissing contests.

Airboat antics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ZYaC84ikA

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-08-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

So we have a thread about a forum that is gossiping about posts and people on our forum. Next thing you know they will have a thread about this thread which is about their forum about our forum.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:35 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't post anywhere but the engines forum and even thats losing steam over at RCT, but I have read some of the threads elsewhere on the site and chose not to participate as I didn't feel anything I do will be well received or my experience having much merit. I try not to bash other folks or their views though I am by no means a saint. I keep my distance and I don't get bashed... Not a bad trade off I guess unless someone catches wind of me running an Enya 4-stroke 1.20 on a 13x7 prop. Then I might catch hell I guess.
Are you crazy!!!!

Ok, Ok, I'll be respectful from now on.

I have recently started posting on RCTruth because I have received a lot of help from Konrad in the past and continue to do so. I probably would not have posted there if Konrad were still in RCU. I have so far been able to dodge most of the bullets between the two sites. Just like 1QwkSport2.5r, I avoid arguments and conflict like the plague. But engine forums that have members helping each other has been a great help to me and others, on both sites. One thing that RCU has that nobody else has is the user reviews database. Unfortunately, that has been supported less over the past few years. But it has been a great help to check out engines or planes and to read reviews from actual users. There is no arguing there!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:14 AM
topspin

Wet rudders and size make all the difference. Most of my boats are way overpowered. I have 5 boats total with a scratchbuilt hovercraft I'm starting that will have two .15's on. The big ones are 32"Lx18"W and 38"Lx22"W. The little hydro with the Jett .35 is like 22"Lx16"W. They're a lot of fun - sure beats going to the bar or having Internet forum pissing contests.

Airboat antics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ZYaC84ikA

The outrigger in the tub is extremely cool but how do you keep water out of the receiver?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:16 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by rgburrill
So we have a thread about a forum that is gossiping about posts and people on our forum. Next thing you know they will have a thread about this thread which is about their forum about our forum.
By jove I think he's got it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.