Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

rctruths

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topspin
The outrigger in the tub is extremely cool but how do you keep water out of the receiver?
That tub is a little small for that boat, eh??
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The outrigger in the tub is extremely cool but how do you keep water out of the receiver?
What isn't pictured is the mahogany hatch covers that cover the rearmost 3 hatches. The front hatch is where I put my GPS to record speed. I use polycarbonate for the front hatch and I have a polycarbonate hatch for the second hatch from the front as well which is where I originally had my fuel tank. I have since moved the fuel tank to the engine mount under the engine to improve fuel draw. The engine will run okay with the fuel tank in the hatch but the idle needle needs to be opened a bit more which makes the midrange pretty wet. You can see the hatch covers in place in the beginning of my video I posted a few posts back.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Hsukaria - Most Enya 4-strokes redline at 13,000rpm. The R120 turns the 13/7 at 11,800rpm on 5% nitro IIRC.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
What isn't pictured is the mahogany hatch covers that cover the rearmost 3 hatches. The front hatch is where I put my GPS to record speed. I use polycarbonate for the front hatch and I have a polycarbonate hatch for the second hatch from the front as well which is where I originally had my fuel tank. I have since moved the fuel tank to the engine mount under the engine to improve fuel draw. The engine will run okay with the fuel tank in the hatch but the idle needle needs to be opened a bit more which makes the midrange pretty wet. You can see the hatch covers in place in the beginning of my video I posted a few posts back.
I just saw that video and I do see the hatch covers. That thing is really fast. It looks like you have to keep it moving at a pretty good clip on rough water but it is amazingly stable. That's real scratch model building at it's finest.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Just a quick question about Konrad. Does he still vent about OS engines? I grew so tired of his vendetta against OS engines on the other forums that I was glad to see him leave. Has he mellowed?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Just a quick question about Konrad. Does he still vent about OS engines? I grew so tired of his vendetta against OS engines on the other forums that I was glad to see him leave. Has he mellowed?
How mellow does he have to be to meet your approval?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

One word sums it up. NO.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I just saw that video and I do see the hatch covers. That thing is really fast. It looks like you have to keep it moving at a pretty good clip on rough water but it is amazingly stable. That's real scratch model building at it's finest.
It took the better part of 4 years to get it to plane out. I had to make new sponsons as my original set were not designed well at all. It still needs to be hand launched due to the boom tubes are at the water's surface but it goes really well for only having a run of the mill .46 powering it. I built it to be powered by the TT .46 to get the kinks worked out but it will get a healthy dose of Jett Engineering later with a .56LX. The model design I copied mine from is bigger and powered with a Jett .90 and has gone 84mph on GPS. I'm shooting for 65mph. It's probably pushing 50mph-ish as it sits now. It does pretty well on rough water. The reason it was bouncing so much is my rear stabilizer/spoiler isn't real solid so it moves a bit allowing it to skip a bit. I'll be fixing this issue along with redesigning/building a new motor mount to lose some weight and hopefully see more speed. I also need to get it to turn better. I think my rudder needs to be wider as it doesn't turn for beans. This was the second boat I built and when I built it I didnt have but 2-3 months of running a flat bottom boat so I didn't have the "know" I have now to get a good result. It does damn good for weighing a bit over 6 pounds. Maybe 7 pounds even.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 12-09-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no denying that Konrad knows his stuff about engines . That is a given as is proven in the intelligence behind his posts . It's no secret that he felt burned by OS and was very vocal about that . I do believe that he got less than he expected , due to OS' advertising of a "High performance" engine VS a good "sport flying" engine , and has every right to feel let down by the lack of support he received from OS when the engine(s) didn't meet the specification they advertised . Now , the issue is , just how far is and should someone be allowed to go in voicing their dissatisfaction ? Personally I did not feel his "vendetta" against OS was a banable offense since peeled liners and all , the man was telling the truth about what he found when he tried asking for maximum power from a so called "High Performance" engine .
Old 12-09-2014, 10:24 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by init4fun
There is no denying that Konrad knows his stuff about engines . That is a given as is proven in the intelligence behind his posts . It's no secret that he felt burned by OS and was very vocal about that . I do believe that he got less than he expected , due to OS' advertising of a "High performance" engine VS a good "sport flying" engine , and has every right to feel let down by the lack of support he received from OS when the engine(s) didn't meet the specification they advertised . Now , the issue is , just how far is and should someone be allowed to go in voicing their dissatisfaction ? Personally I did not feel his "vendetta" against OS was a banable offense since peeled liners and all , the man was telling the truth about what he found when he tried asking for maximum power from a so called "High Performance" engine .
Based on my discussions with Konrad, which probably don't go far back like with some of you guys, he doesn't rag about all of OS engines, just their nickel plating process. He is very specific about that.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM
hsukaria

Hsukaria - Most Enya 4-strokes redline at 13,000rpm. The R120 turns the 13/7 at 11,800rpm on 5% nitro IIRC.
That is impressive. I always try to get my engines to go the opposite way, big props at slower speeds. Even my 2-strokes, like the SK90 that runs like a 4-stroke. Different applications, for sure.

But I do have a couple of future applications that will require high speed engine performance, I will be using tuned mufflers, pipes, and mousse cans. Should be fun, and loud.

Last edited by hsukaria; 12-09-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:01 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The reason most folks opt for Saito or OS 4-strokes is they're a good bit lighter than the Enya's. Enya 4-strokes are quite robust in that they are constructed a fair bit stronger which is part of the reason they can handle the revs that they do. An Enya may not make the same power that a Saito will, but they are tough as nails. I won't own any other brand of 4-stroke just because they're as tough and trouble free as they are. Keep in mind I'm not bashing Saito or OS here.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
hsukaria

The reason most folks opt for Saito or OS 4-strokes is they're a good bit lighter than the Enya's. Enya 4-strokes are quite robust in that they are constructed a fair bit stronger which is part of the reason they can handle the revs that they do. An Enya may not make the same power that a Saito will, but they are tough as nails. I won't own any other brand of 4-stroke just because they're as tough and trouble free as they are. Keep in mind I'm not bashing Saito or OS here.
Is your Enya 4-stroke ringed or ABC type?

I LOVE my Saitos and OS 4-stroke 70 Surpass II. They can't do wrong. No experience with Enya or YS, yet.

Last edited by hsukaria; 12-09-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:13 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ringed - hardened steel liner/aluminum piston. I am not a fan of front pushrod engines. Personally, I think they're ugly. I'm weird like that though.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM
hsukaria

Ringed - hardened steel liner/aluminum piston. I am not a fan of front pushrod engines. Personally, I think they're ugly. I'm weird like that though.

Yabut, then you would have trouble accessing the glowplug for starting. You would have to use a remote glowplug connection.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM
JollyPopper

Isn't it Enya that slants their glow plugs forward and when you put a glow stick on it you are almost in the prop? Or is that someone else I'm thinking of. I have only Saito and OS four strokes so I'm, pretty sketchy about the rest, but someone at the field had an engine configured like that and I was thinking how close to the prop I was when I was using the glow stick.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM
hsukaria

Isn't it Enya that slants their glow plugs forward and when you put a glow stick on it you are almost in the prop? Or is that someone else I'm thinking of. I have only Saito and OS four strokes so I'm, pretty sketchy about the rest, but someone at the field had an engine configured like that and I was thinking how close to the prop I was when I was using the glow stick.
Yep, that's the Enya you are thinking about. You basically need a remote glowplug connection or a very short glowstarter.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Yep, that's the Enya you are thinking about. You basically need a remote glowplug connection or a very short glowstarter.
Enya 4-strokes used to come with a remote glow driver. I bought remote drivers for mine. The Enya brand remote glow drivers only fit Enya glow plugs, the Sullivan and the like drivers don't fit very well Enya plugs or not as the plug is recessed into the head a little bit. I used to use a Sullivan driver but I had to custom fit the clip so it would grab the plug and stay clipped on. If I used a longer plug with 2 washers it worked okay, but my engines run a lot better on Enya 3 plugs than they do on OS F or Fox Miracle plugs. Enya 3 plugs cost the same or less than Miracle plugs. I've seen guys use short glow sticks on them but that's too gutsy for me. I like my fingers.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yabut, then you would have trouble accessing the glowplug for starting. You would have to use a remote glowplug connection.
Yup. And I'm okay with that.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
hsukaria

Yup. And I'm okay with that.
Maybe I had been doing it wrong, but the remote glowplug connection I tried in the past kept falling off the glowplug.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
JollyPopper

Do Enya 3 plugs work well in OS and Saito engines also? I like the Fox Miracle plug but not enough that I wouldn't change if I found one that worked better.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WARNING: WARNING: WARNING "Thread drift"....alarm is now off and the smoking lamp is lit!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 PM
JollyPopper

Well, tailskid, you were ok with talking about prop size and airboats in this thread, which is off topic, so I didn't think you would mind.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:37 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Maybe I had been doing it wrong, but the remote glowplug connection I tried in the past kept falling off the glowplug.
The Sullivan clip I used was a twist lock type - push, twist, done. The Enya clip has a spring loaded end that clips onto the very tip of the glow plug. They should not fall off.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:40 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Do Enya 3 plugs work well in OS and Saito engines also? I like the Fox Miracle plug but not enough that I wouldn't change if I found one that worked better.
I see no reason why they wouldn't. They are hotter than both the F and Miracle plugs. If you have some idle bar plugs laying around, try those too. They work great in my 4-cycles. I used an idle bar plug in my Enya 60-4C from break-in on and havent changed it yet - about 3 gallons later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.