Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

overall participation in RCU

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

overall participation in RCU

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:22 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overall participation in RCU

Is overall participation in RCU down from what it was three or four years ago or is it my imagination? I normally get on here once a day and only read posts in about a half dozen sub forums that have to do with airplanes and the number of new posts seems to be way down. Now, when I click on a particular sub forum there may be only one or two new posts since the previous day. Seems there used to be dozens. Do I dis-remember (which President used that term?) or is that an accurate observation?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Down by a subsantial margin in all the forums that I frequent JollyPopper. There was a time when I only had to be away from the keyboard for a couple of hours and there would be a substantial number of new posts. These days some of those same forums may only see a hand full of new posts in a 24 hour period and, once in a while, no posts at all.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, well down ... stems from around the time that the forum changed hands/format.

When was that?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:39 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change in ownership, continued systems issues, change in demographics might account for this (and on other big sites as well). Still, some of the smaller more singularly focused sites seem to be doing pretty well (FPV, multi-rotor, 3DRC etc etc).
Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

no mobile version or app
Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
no mobile version or app
True, but I find those generally annoying anyway and select the "full site" option every time, even on the iPhone.

Traffic does seem down since a few years ago. RCU and RCG are my two main RC sites. Some of the threads on RCG, e.g. the Taranis, 350QX and Armattan threads can have several pages of new posts between daily visits.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-11-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, RCU is down a good bit from before the changeover to the new forum software. It lost a good number of users during the couple of days it was completely offline, then a good many more as it was working out the bugs in the new system over the next few weeks. I'd say there's been very little growth since then, and a steady trickle of users away due to continued functionality problems. I don't see nearly as many new posts on the forums I read, nor do I see nearly as many responses as I used to. I still prefer RCU to RC Groups because I'm used to it and the classifieds section is so much better, but if the decline continues for another year it'll probably reach the point of no return.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:38 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Are you saying the classified section in RCU is better than in RCG?
Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Are you saying the classified section in RCU is better than in RCG?
Oh yes. For sellers, once your add gets on page two of RCG it is invisible. But it can still stay there for so long, getting further and further back, that you forget you ever put it up. And depending on the popularity of the category your ad is in, it can get to page two in an hour or two.

For buyers, you have to look through all of the sold items cluttering up the listings, after a page or two of not finding what you want, you give up.

I use the RCU classifieds all the time, but never the RCG.

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 11-11-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I found RCG to be the easiest by far to use for selling. It takes twice as long to list an ad here, I don't find it's that user friendly, and doesn't get the responses that RCG does. Also paying for different listing options for each ad is a turn-off. I think this place brings in more buyers for Bigger planes and gassers/jets, and RCG is more for electrics and quads. In general though I still think Ebay will get you the most hits and potentially the most money for your item, but man those fees sure eat that up.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I can only speak for myself.. but over many years changes I've found this site extremely slow... I was actually a moderator on this site in the first few years it was up... it was fun, fast, and easy to organize for a decent read and following most every evening... buying and selling was a breeze... easy breeze.. Sometime in/about 2004ish.. something changed... I found other sites that were faster, easier to navigate, buy, sell, etc.. and posting anything was a breeze... whereas RCU seemed to get slower.. so I didn't read this as much... and other sites were changing formats in ways that makes for easier reading, posting, etc... so I actually didn't read this site for probably a few years... I see now they're into another generation of format that is less then appealing... so I only read this site occasionally at best..

I've commented a few times in threads that mention site performance issues... none of it ever goes any place though...

With all that said... I have had many good internet friends through this site and other sites... and still maintain many through other sites... but the buying/selling, and general formatting of this site really turn me off... but I'll remain a member, and cause no harm, as long as they will let me... I'll use it when I want.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:44 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jrf
Oh yes. For sellers, once your add gets on page two of RCG it is invisible. But it can still stay there for so long, getting further and further back, that you forget you ever put it up. And depending on the popularity of the category your ad is in, it can get to page two in an hour or two.

For buyers, you have to look through all of the sold items cluttering up the listings, after a page or two of not finding what you want, you give up.

Jim
Jim, I use both with pretty close to equal results, much easier to compose an ad there, but here there's much less scamming going on,, both have +s & -s

Still have those stream floats you Basin Bum?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:02 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Many social websites follow a similar pattern of growth, overloading(slow service), then user attrition to some relatively active group . Part of the problem s that new groups, with different features ,keep selecting out specific subgrous. Right now, facebook is in the declining phase as Pinterest, twitter, vimeo, and other sites are pulling down their audiences . (Anybody remember AOL?). As a professional market researcher, I can tell you that the issue of building user traffic, maintaining a high level of interest among heavier users, and identifying areas for potential improvement of a site is a really hot topic - lots of sites experiencing the same general problem , and not a lot of good answers. E-Bay has kept on the growth curve by adding new services and options every few years,, but (in my judgement), a fair hunk of their business is migrating toward specialized sites (such as RCU and RCG) As for RCU and RCG, a quick google or dogpile search for -- model airplane discussion forums -- brings up quite a list - and its a trend thats likely to continue.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 PM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

Yes, RCU is definitely not what it used to be. Slowwwww,,,,,,,
i also believe the lack of mobile is hurting them. Since they reformatted I have been unable to do any postings from my older Kindle Fire. That's odd too because the IPad I'm using now is even older.

Last edited by catboater; 11-13-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:29 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrf

Jim
I agree that buying and selling here is superior. My reason for feeling this way is that with RCU it's clean, you want something you make an offer, the offer doesn't have to be public but it is visible. One knows that there are offers on the table. I find buying and selling on RCG to be shifty, what with the whole hidden stuff via PM's, just not my kind of clean, honest and transparent way of dealing like it is here. RCG seems to be a scammers paradise.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:44 AM
patfairlane
My Feedback: (170)

I have a hundred buys and sells on rcu and over one thousand on ebay with two accounts...So I think I now how to do...I have spent over a hour trying to list items on RCGroups..Did not happen...And no help when I asked..
Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 AM
CafeenMan

The home page shows the threads that are most active (I think that's what it's supposed to be).

It's always tanks and jets. I read both of them from time to time because it seems like the only thing happening and frankly, I just want a break from life and the only other thing I read on the internet is politics which I'm pretty burned out on.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Shhhh. Listen. That silence is the sound of the owners taking "action" on what you complain about.
BTW, I don't read "groups" - I read the most active list. It seems though that the "most activity in 24 hours" is now the "most activity in 7 days". Threads that say something like "11 replies" seem to have on 2 or 3 since I checked it yesterday. And where a year or two ago I would read at least half the threads now I see very few that I want to read and often when I do read them they are about tanks.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:36 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

The "search" function is horrible...but it was bad before the 'upgrade.'
Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Still have those stream floats you Basin Bum?
No. Sold through EBAY. Which is by far the best place to sell RC items.

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 11-12-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The classified section on RCU is vastly superior to RCG. All RCG does is give you a forum page to post your stuff on. It's not searchable by location, and any fool on the forum can come along and post on it. So if I'm looking for planes, I don't want to know what's for sale 1000 miles from me. I want to know what's local, because that's the only way I'm going to buy anything. RCU makes that easy; RCG makes that impossible aside from looking at the location info on the thread which is missing about half the time. Then you get the price police and the idiotic offers that clutter up your thread. Yes, it takes longer to list something for sale here, but the ad is so much clearer and easier for buyers to find I think it's worth it. Of course, if traffic on RCU continues to decrease, the classifieds won't be of much use to anyone no matter how well done they are.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes the post are down and IMO the reason is that those replying do not stay on topic. Selling on RCU is another topic all together and if you really what your item sold then post it on RCGroups.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Buying and selling on RCU is still participation and so it's not off topic in my opinion and even if it was, I don't think I agree that not staying on topic is reason for reduced participation.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

RCU is the forum I frequent the most, but some days I find it impossible to load the site on my iPhone or my computer. It used to be very busy here with new posts every 10-15 minutes it seemed. Now, some days there are only a handful of new posts in the forums I read regularily. I run cars, airboats, and am getting into planes but my main interest is in model engines. That's where I do the most posting by far. I've never been a fan of RCG so I don't post or read the forums over there. I have no real issues with RCU though I did have an engine deal go sour recently that originated from the RCU marketplace.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:58 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I became a member of RCU and RCG at about the same time back in April'ish of 2014.

I have found equal amounts of help on either site.

My last attempt to buy something on RCU went dead - the seller never responded.
I buy from both RCU and RCG - I tend to like RCG better, maybe because I just spend more time there. Many times I see what I was looking at on RCG relisted over here, and oftentimes on eBay, these days.

Lately - since September - I have seen a big drop-off on RCG forums and classified, by the way. I didn't get my fill so I am still active, checking often, in the evenings.

So, both RCU and RCG hold as much interest to me.
I don't think RCU is better for the buyer.
As for backchannel pm's on RCG, it is what it is. If I don't get the thing I msg'ed about, here's the important thing - "It's A First World Problem."

So, I am in the "It's All good" Camp - RCU, RCG, Hobby King, and eBay.

PS I am into glow, electric, gas, diesel, rubber power. Not quads or FPV - yet(!) Again - It's All Good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.