Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Tips for flying in cold weather

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tips for flying in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM
surferguy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for flying in cold weather

MAN it's cold outside! ~ Tips for RC Pilots

See how colder temps affect your lipo batteries, props, multi rotor, flight controllers.Great tips on keeping your systems up and running during cold weather. Your friends at Drone Camps RC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLiYMrQkL-g
Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Turnigy radio glove ? HA ! You may as well wrap a towel around your transmitter! There are much better choices out there that will keep your hands toasty inside . Otherwise the rest of the tips are OK but you have nothing for glow or gas flyers.
If you are flying glow take a bottle of lighter fluid with you in case you have trouble starting the engine. In extreme cold you can hold the engine near you running vehicles exhaust to warm it up.
Gas flyers should have no issues starting.
Remember that the servos work harder when they are cold and that puts more load on the receiver pack that is already at a disadvantage because it is cold. Cut you usual flight times by one..
Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM
surferguy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
A Turnigy radio glove ? HA ! You may as well wrap a towel around your transmitter! There are much better choices out there that will keep your hands toasty inside . Otherwise the rest of the tips are OK but you have nothing for glow or gas flyers.
If you are flying glow take a bottle of lighter fluid with you in case you have trouble starting the engine. In extreme cold you can hold the engine near you running vehicles exhaust to warm it up.
Gas flyers should have no issues starting.
Remember that the servos work harder when they are cold and that puts more load on the receiver pack that is already at a disadvantage because it is cold. Cut you usual flight times by one..
Thanks for your input.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon E ham warmers. Like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7171_7171?isSearch=143352-1551

Except buy them cheap on fleabay (used) and fuel them with naptha from a big box store instead of the expensive brand name stuff.