Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
... I need 3/32, I have 1/16. I need one eighth, I have 3/16. I need 3/16, I don't have enough. ...
OMG, you just described me!! Restoring an old AFI Super Monterey (started with good wings, fair horizontal stab & nose, little else) and I'm running into the same issue.

But that's part of the joy of this whole hobby, so I live with it, and love it.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see I'm not the only one in the boat.
Rich
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by popargr
Commando Cody with his strap on jet pack
You must mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuDEIbfph8Y
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Commando Cody ...I remember the character but the name never stuck with me. I tried a many times to buid a jet pack as a kid. (I had a very vivid imagination.)

Balsa wood.... well I got tons of it and still run out. a guy owed me for a rebuild and paid part of his bill by purchasing four boxes of balsa for me one of the boxes was what you see at the hobbyshop of vertically stacked lumber. I'd say half of it I will never use. and need to have several block pieces cut to sheets, when lonestar folded I was put in a hurt. they used to cut the blocks, but now..........

When I was stationed in arizona I found a warehouse full of balsa, found out the base had no need of it, I ran the model hobbyshop on base so a little negotiation got me hooked up real good, never saw so much balsa in my life. It was used to fill empty spaces in the ejection seats of f-100's we transitioned to t-38's and t-37's so I had it made, but every time we cut a sheet we lost a1/8th inch sheet because of the saw blade width, but I was able to build and fly all the shoestring stunters I wanted.

Last edited by donnyman; 12-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:27 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got me an Lou Andrews Mini Master. I also was given an original Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 kit. Now lets test some memories, I also have a Tidewater Pronto Super. Three of the best flying planes ever and then the Ugly Stick came to life.....
Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 PM
donnyman

Tidewater pronto super?????

well you can see I never........Got a picture? But the falcon 56? you bet! love um. take the dihedral out you got you a different bird put the wing on the bottom of the fuse. you got a skylark 56 must have built ...well alot. still have all the drawings to build more. I took the wing from a advance trainer called the scorpion put it on a skylark fuse and had one of the solidess, smoothess birds ever, touch and goes were so easy thats what I mostly did with it until a friend used it to play lawn darts. No swet I got the plans!

Never cared to much for the ugly stick especially since flying my kaos.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:59 PM
GallopingGhostler

Kind of a coincidence, but I got myself a Falcon III kit just prior to Goldberg going down. Also have the Tidewater Pronto kit, and a GP Big Ugly Stik 60 ARF. Since I'm retired now, will have a chance to finally build the first two. Don't have a Lou Andrews Mini Master, but got his S-Ray kit.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:29 PM
donnyman

what does the tidewater pronto look like?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
what does the tidewater pronto look like?
It is a 48" wingspan 3 channel sport low wing airplane for up to .25 power by Dave Robelen. It was featured in August 1972 MAN. A plan of it is here:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1740

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1740.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2054520  
Old 12-13-2014, 03:45 AM
donnyman

G/Ghost

ok I remember it. THANKS!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look what you did donnyman.... 15 pages in just 10 days.. best thread I've seen on RCU for a long time.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:04 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galloping Ghost? Falcon 56? All the wonderful stories. I think it was a Rand actuator and a Wold Engines transmitter in a Falcon 56. The actuator had a number like Rand 19 or something. A lot of banging and clanging but it worked on rudder, elevator and engine or was that a dream of some kind. Maybe some of you can help me out in recalling. Have to agree. This is one of the best threads on RCU. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 AM
donnyman

I am lovin it ...... can't stop Reading. woke up a lot of memories.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:20 AM
donnyman

Let me throw some names out here and see how many can remember,

Don Winsow of the coast guard............Tom Mix................Lash Larue..........Hoppalong Cassidy............Gabby hayes...........Now don't go looking them up you gotta remember! who wore the white hat, and who wore the black ones. ya got thirty seconds. Hers's a good one Captain video and the video rangers........Tom Corbit....... Phinius T. Bluster (easy one) Oh yea .......Beanie boy...... Cecil???

Last edited by donnyman; 12-13-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add ons/corrections
Old 12-13-2014, 07:31 AM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Loved Rat Patrol.

Remember Sky Koing?

Here's an homage to the Cessna T-50. Now this would be a great modeling project!

http://youtu.be/j5-18MR8aZs
Love this airplane, came across it while surfing this site earlier this year.
Can't understand why it hasn't been covered like other airplanes have, especially since there was a TV show around it.
I have the 1964 Bob Morse plans printed up, got a couple of SuperTigre GS 40's, and just need the elusive "free time" to get going.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2016
There was a gent at the NEAT fair this year who may be putting out a kit - he had a prototype sitting there.
I am going to get together a profile CL 1/2A version of this - I have a few Cox's and Norvels sitting around.

Fun show, if not a little predictable. But, I preferred the UC-78 over the 310 they ended up using. Can you imagine the cost of fueling and maintaining those two radials today?
This winter I will get over to the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA, where they have a restored UC-78.
Let me know if you want to meet up over there - we're about the same distance to the museum (3 hours or so).

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cessna Bobcat N53378.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2054578  
Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not only remember most all those programs, have many of them on VHS & DVD - at least a season or 2.

Anybody remember that Lash Larue only used a whip? As far as I can remember, he's the only western hero that didn't use a gun.

Is my memory bad (quite probably) or does anyone else remember that late in the Sky King series he changed planes to a trike that had tip tanks? Have no idea of the type though.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Not only remember most all those programs, have many of them on VHS & DVD - at least a season or 2.

Anybody remember that Lash Larue only used a whip? As far as I can remember, he's the only western hero that didn't use a gun.

Is my memory bad (quite probably) or does anyone else remember that late in the Sky King series he changed planes to a trike that had tip tanks? Have no idea of the type though.
cessna 310 L, LARUE WAS ALSO VERY FAST.

Last edited by donnyman; 12-13-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you guys are funny and old........I dont feel so alone anymore.LOL
Old 12-13-2014, 12:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well boy I bought out Rich McAlpine in 6th grade. 2 C/L Planes Lines battery and lines spare wheels and such . First plane had a McCoy 119 the oter was a torpedo 29 that's a McCoy too Yes? any Built a PT 19 the summer after the braves (Milwaukee)won the World Series cause I rember building in the basement on the old metal kitchen table in the new house my dad just built. Never flew it. gave all my stuff to a cousin except for one plane handle and lines. Then came High school 2 years of tech school and 4 years minus an hour and one half in the USAF. But that's another story.
One Sunday night at Canute field in Rantol Ill. Sgt. Peters came in the barraks upon passing my room he stops and asks Airman what u got there. Model airplane sir a German Stuka. No NO that bottle on the table ... OH that's airplane Dope. Is that stuff Flamable. I picked up the bottle and sure enough it said Flammable right next to Keep away from fire and flame. Sarge Said " Get that out of the barakes besides it lights out. So I put things away and was going to find a place for the DOPE next day. Well at O%:30 Standing Muster for chow Sgt Peters ans if I got rid of the DOPE ... No sir Report to my office after chow. Guess what I got my second Artical 15 i less than 6 months. Anyway left Chanute in May 65 and left the plane there No room in Norman Roushes car with 5 gys and duffel bags.

Next chapter bought my parents house that I built my first plane in. My son David was 19 or 11 when he Found the old P-51 profile and the set lof lines. The Fox 36 X I had bought at Chanute for the Stuka was all frozen up. I said David U take that Fox apart and soak it in achole and we'll se if it will run
Well he dit it did and $68 bucks later we had the Sterling Profile going around and around. We got into R/C after we Went through a few more planes. David turned 16 found girts an cars. and R/C was no more. He also gave up Woman from 20 till about 3 years ago now 37 he figured he couldn/t afford both Girls and Cars. But daves' philosophy was Drag cars and Mudders with souped to the hilt motors are expensive ya know. But lots cheaper than woman.
That's my story and I'm stick'n to it ... I enjoy teaching R/C rather than flying any of my own planes. But it's a lot more stressful.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-13-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
donnyman

Hound Dog

I left chanute in 1960 right after tech school, never got any flak about dope in the barracks. I built and painted a controline RUFFY. some other guy built a R/C f-104 he was in grnd. power squadron. 2 years of tech. school? you must have been in grnd. power, I was in engines (jet) That SGT. Peters was a.. isn't lighter fluid flammable? weren't you allowed to smoke in your barrack?

my son got into the hobby in a similar way as your son he found my falcon in the garage.

happy flyin
Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 PM
HoundDog

Hound Dog

I left chanute in 1960 right after tech school, never got any flak about dope in the barracks. I built and painted a controline RUFFY. some other guy built a R/C f-104 he was in grnd. power squadron. 2 years of tech. school? you must have been in grnd. power, I was in engines (jet) That SGT. Peters was a.. isn't lighter fluid flammable? weren't you allowed to smoke in your barrack?

my son got into the hobby in a similar way as your son he found my falcon in the garage.

happy flyin
44 mechanic school. Hound Dog GAM77A or AGM28 B Missie Hense the RCU Name.... Nov 64 to May 65. Te 3 years 2 months 2 weeks 5 days 11 and 1/2 hours at K.I Sawyer 25 Snow covered roads south of Marquette. Went in the USAF to get away from home and I get stationed 300 miles from the front gate to my door.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by koastrc
Galloping Ghost? Falcon 56? All the wonderful stories. I think it was a Rand actuator and a World Engines transmitter in a Falcon 56. The actuator had a number like Rand 19 or something. A lot of banging and clanging but it worked on rudder, elevator and engine or was that a dream of some kind. Maybe some of you can help me out in recalling. Have to agree. This is one of the best threads on RCU. Thanks!
Here's a demonstration of the Rand Galloping Ghost Actuator in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO3Tbkdqknw By the time I bought a pulse system back in 1972, the Rand Actuator was on its way out. The Ace Pulse Commander system I bought for $70 with rechargeable flight battery was single channel rudder only and used an Adam magnetic actuator instead. In the late 1970's, I saw an older unsold Ace Pulse GG system with Rand actuator, but Pete's Model Hobbycraft Store on Oahu, Hawaii wanted something like $115 for it. Hobby Shack advertised a Cirrus 2 channel dry system digital proportional complete with servos for $80 I think, which was considerably cheaper, so I opted for the Hobby Shack by mail order.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:35 PM
HoundDog

Wow and now we have foam airplanes with 3 axis auto pilots and return to home that still fly away or crash for no apparent reason.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

Let me throw some names out here and see how many can remember, Don Winsow of the coast guard............ Tom Mix................ Lash Larue.......... Hoppalong Cassidy............ Gabby Hayes........... Now don't go looking them up you gotta remember! Who wore the white hat, and who wore the black ones. ya got thirty seconds. Hers's a good one Captain video and the video rangers........ Tom Corbit....... Phinius T. Bluster (easy one) Oh yea .......Beanie boy...... Cecil???
Those predate my time and there weren't many reruns by the 1960's as far as I recall. Ones I remember vividly are Zorro, Sky King and the original Superman with George Reeves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPhoCIZP7oY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0KEblrgf0g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcwEsiC3STg
The following users liked this post:
Believer (01-25-2021)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Greybeard1

I must have come from a different world, I remember some of the programs being mentioned, but don't remember being that much into any of them. During summer, too much trouble to get into, and we did. Winter, sleds and ice skates on Eagle lake, freezing my feet and hands, coming home and sitting in front of the old oil heater we had, hurting. Watched World at War, Victory at Sea, don't really remember many others that got my attention. Maybe Walt Disney, but none of that stuck in my mind so much. We only got one channel, WTMJ, but maybe that was enough. Spent some time building instead of staring at the whopping nine inch tube. I liked Roy Rogers because the Sons of the Pioneers sang on his show, but that was the reason for the show anyhow. Still like them, only now on CD without visuals.

Hours spent fishing in places the fish weren't, rowing a flat bottom scow, sixteen foot, but not very far, that was work. Watching the lake in bloom, no swimming, then polluted, no swimming. Doesn't happen anymore, no more septic systems leaching effluent into the lake as there was then. Glad to see the Chicago kids coming for the summer, even more glad to see them go home after summer vacation. Getting chased from the public boat launch by an Illinois resident that thought we didn't belong there, until one of the other guys father heard him and read him the law. Didn't stop him, but we just ignored his yelling.

Hours spent in my favorite place, the marsh, nobody else but me in there, peace. And the other kids we went to school with, but we won't go there.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.