Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Haven't done much purchasing at Sears for anything lately. All their prices are higher. In past they had good bargains, but those days seem gone.
The only bargain I have found in Sears of late if you have an old Dremel Model 57 Scroll saw you can get the blades cheaper than on Ebay. I laid in a large supply for mine. I bought it brand new in the early 80s when Montgomery Wards dropped all tools it was half price (about $50 with tax back then) it had their label on it It came with the disk sanding pad with disks and the flexible shaft rotary tool with bits. I picked up the Dremel 580 4" table saw and the Dremel 730 Disk-Belt sander 10 years ago in a garage sale. For hobby use they are great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2206530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel 580.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	2206531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel 730.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2206532  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That looks expensive Joe!

Hey acdii take a Monokote heat gun to the uncured epoxy, heat usually helps. I know one guy who cures his epoxy in the oven when he builds cowlings it speeds up the curing process. When you think about how hot a glow engine gets the oven shouldn't hurt it.

Did that already using my paint stripping gun, which I also use for covering material, melting epoxy, melting just about anything. I got it hot enough to cause some to bubble up and yet still soft. I'm thinking the resin is just too old. Since I don't need to sand the inside, I wont worry about that, but the outside I may have to peel it off if I can and just use some regular epoxy that can be sanded. I used some polyester resin and hardener, and it just didn't work. Sticking with West from now on and tossing that other stuff away.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Haven't done much purchasing at Sears for anything lately. All their prices are higher. In past they had good bargains, but those days seem gone.

Not much time left for Sears. News this morning is they are most likely going to close their doors before the end of he year. Since I have a Craftsman bandsaw, I better stock pile some blades while I can, haven't found 80" blades elsewhere for it.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm lucky my large Craftsman belt disk sander uses standard sizes.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What is apparently going to happen DR is sending me a new mower. I would not have even called them if it had been a B&S or Kohler but it is some kind of Chinese engine and DR is apparently the only source of parts. So now I have to ship this one back they are sending me paper work to make the exchange under warranty.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
What is apparently going to happen DR is sending me a new mower. I would not have even called them if it had been a B&S or Kohler but it is some kind of Chinese engine and DR is apparently the only source of parts. So now I have to ship this one back they are sending me paper work to make the exchange under warranty.
Glad to hear covered by warranty, preferred over repairing.

Originally Posted by acdii
Not much time left for Sears. News this morning is they are most likely going to close their doors before the end of he year. Since I have a Craftsman bandsaw, I better stock pile some blades while I can, haven't found 80" blades elsewhere for it.

Harbor Freight moved into town two months ago. I like the Craftsman lifetime tool warranty, but have found that with cheaper tools, I can replace broken generic sockets with brand name for a small cost and overall less life cycle cost. Tool quality has gone up, so not much missed. In general avoid the cheapest tool, get their next line up better or best. Still have the Craftsman socket sets my father gave me later, which were his that I used in high school 45+ years ago to fix cars and things. Through the years, replaced broke screw drivers, sockets, breaker bar handles and ratchets for free. Took to Sears, sales person let me pull equivalent off shelf and traded bad for new free.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I got rid of a mess of tools on here, and a bunch on RCG until Graham kicked me off for no reason. I still have a bunch of tools to get rid of if I can get the time to get my shop reorganized. I still have a ton of machine shop tools to get rid of. But with all the crap I been going through, with my phone and computer being hacked, and now my wife having Cancer. She just got home yesterday from the hospital. She's really still in a lot of pain. Were still waiting for the pathology report to come in. Were hoping the Cancer is no where else. The sad part is if my phone wasn't hacked for a year, we would have gotten the Cancer last year. Next week, my attorney is starting on my case 100%. It's his last case, then he's retiring. Today the FBI told me there doing nothing about my issues. My attorney told me that he is going to ask Senator Nelson for a grand jury investigation. I have 6 years worth of evidence, this last year full of felony's. You would think with all the phone hacking on TV today, the FBI would do something about it. Guess we'll see what's going to happen. Right now I just want to take care of my wife. It's now all in my attorney's hands.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The only bargain I have found in Sears of late if you have an old Dremel Model 57 Scroll saw you can get the blades cheaper than on Ebay. I laid in a large supply for mine. I bought it brand new in the early 80s when Montgomery Wards dropped all tools it was half price (about $50 with tax back then) it had their label on it It came with the disk sanding pad with disks and the flexible shaft rotary tool with bits. I picked up the Dremel 580 4" table saw and the Dremel 730 Disk-Belt sander 10 years ago in a garage sale. For hobby use they are great.

I still have the Dremel scroll with a ton of blades. I sold off two table saw's, I think I still have some of the blades for it, if anybody can use them let me know.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Well gentlemen we will have to get used to the changes coming. I fear Sears will go the way of Montgomery Ward,
Kits will become more Arf-ish?? And I have noticed the ad's that pop up on my computer coincide with the topic of conversation a mower ad is running right now!

I was reading how electronics is not much of a kit thing anymore also. Many facets of our lives is in flux I will sorely miss Sears tools if it departs but Harbor freight is strong competition. Alcohol in our auto fuel is a fact of life. DNA is really scarey, especially when you connect it to robotics, I can promise you The transporter from the star trek series is fast becoming a reality. Remember when some laughed at the RAY GUN? (ex. laser?) It wasn't too long ago the speed of sound was considered unreachable.

Joe Fisher-- Your flaming mower is a bummer situation, when my mower popped it's cookies I was fortunate enough to have another mower with a similar engine you were blessed with a warranty.
I mentioned a cnc machine in my last post and found a ad of similar nature when I signed in here. I guess these guys need to make a buck also!

Gentlemen I truly enjoy reading here it's like have a clubhouse full of close friends (some goofy)

I need some more coffee so I will get off my soap box.

OH YEA! BIG BROTHER IS DEFINETLY WATCHING!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Donny, if you are using the Fire Fox browser download and install No Script it controls what scripts run on any given webpage. I think it might have something to do with why RCU doesn't send me notifications anymore. It's not perfect and you do have to actively work with it when you want to read a whole page but it does lower your profile.

Mike
Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 AM
donnyman

There are several things I need to do with my system but I do not have the control I need, I can't get passed the old administrator, my son used when he set me up and he is not available to make changes so I have to live with this mess until I visit him.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:14 AM
acdii

Actually, Wards is doing good once again. It's Online/phone order catalogs just like it used to be. http://www.wards.com/

Sears could live on as Online/Phone if they play their cards right.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Not sure how many of you guys know about this. If your computer has any of the Intel CPU's. The Intel CPU controller chip made after 2009 has DDR memory. Windows loads the drivers, so the computer boots up faster. Now here's the problem. A hacker can give you a virus on your hard disk. All he need's is your IP address,. no email is necessary. When he loads the virus its uncompiled. After it's loaded, it compiles and loads the virus into that memory. They usually use a Malware Virus so they can take control of your computer. But no anti-virus software looks there, not yet. It's easy to get rid of. Unplug your computer, and remove the clock battery for a couple of minutes. Now put the battery back, plug the computer back to the AC, Turn it on, the go to the BIOS and reset back to the factory settings. Now here's the problem. The virus can come back because it's still on your hard drive, uncompiled. To totally get rid of it, you have to reformat the hard drive. Now you lose everything. Today your actually better off with an older computer, or one that uses the AMD CPU.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 PM
oh44077
My Feedback: (5)

I understand, I am 82 and basically good health. but once I turned 80 that when the aches and pains started. I don't want to complain as I am thankful I can still count to 10. ha.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by oh44077
I understand, I am 82 and basically good health. but once I turned 80 that when the aches and pains started. I don't want to complain as I am thankful I can still count to 10. ha.
I have a few years before I see 80 but the aches and pains have long been with me.

Are you and active modeler? how did you get involved with this hobby? .................................................. .............WELCOME!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:09 AM
tejasnumu

Joe: This is a wonderful plane. I had the pleasure of a skill growth spurt at our little wonderful donated paved SoCal club runway on a morning when I was alone. A club fun fly was coming up and I got at the end of the runway. The O.S. 60 purred away on the little red with black scalloped a la "Mystery Ship" Super Sportster while I stood by myself and contemplated what for me was insanity but it just might work. Firewall the throttle; lift off in 30' or so and rose to below about 5'; right aileron, full left rudder and full up elevator bringing it around in a semi 360 on the wing. A short distance from the apron of the runway level the wing and ease down a couple of feet to a screaming touch and go. Full throttle and the wheel brass on music wire squealed and we did it again, and again and again. I was at the pinnacle of my 4 year rc growth and I had a proven unbeatable and crowd shocking plan to put a club record on the books for the "take off and land" event at the fun fly. I was president of our club and always felt my building and flying skills were bush league. My only reconciliation was that I love to build, so catastrophic "dumb thumb" crashes had a costly upside. More than five and probably less than ten touch and goes in under 30 seconds each and I was in that heady place where you feel "I'm starting to get good." Then the decisions came. Should I land or go for one more? What the heck! The old Futaba with the original battery was at full when I charged everything last night. One more..just one more. Around I went and right aileron to touch down and the Sportsman became a Frankenstein. It leveled and then full up elevator.. Someone else was controlling the old girl!!! Straight up, full throttle and then a wing over. "Who is doing this??" She hit the packed ground and the engine turned back to earthen minerals. It is still a mystery how that much Monokote could vaporize. There was hardly a piece larger than a dime anywhere. Of course you start scanning for the errant fool that covered my channel 20, 72 meg Futaba 7 channel with a built in meter. This could not be considered. I walked back after picking up the few bits I could find and said aloud to an empty field "look, this thing is fully charge!" I snapped the switch on and zip went the meter needle into the green. "See, It wasn't me!" I gazed at the meter with a thousand conspiracies flashing through my mind. As I watched the needle it slowly started decent down, down into the red and bottomed out. I never changed the tx nicads. I killed my Sportster out of STUPIDITY. STUPID, STUPID!! Aghhh! Well no one saw the razor reflexes of control or my leap of skill but the good part was I was the only one that witnessed the bush league pre-flight and equipment maintenance clearly resulting to my personal disaster. Guess I'll stop by the old hobby shop on the way home. That new Goldberg Ultimate looks more like a horse I can ride now. Yea, another new kit and engine and a nicad tx pack. First I will tell my wife my story of triumph and defeat. She will putty when I walk in with the big Ultimate 3-10 box and all of the wonderful goodies. Boy this plane is going to be great!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:58 AM
acdii

Well, at least you didnt bounce a wing off a building while trying to land. Now THAT one people did see!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:28 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I too had a Super Sportster and can attest to the fact that it was one sweet flier but unfortunately I too lost mine from a combination of dumb thumbs and complacency. With a sweet running ST 45 it quickly became my model of choice when going flying and after numerous flights we developed that invisible connection between model and pilot with me knowing just what input was needed even before the model required it to do a particular thing. I used to chat up a storm with my flying bud Deryck while on the sticks and who used to warn me about my lack of humility and over confidence which one day possibly angered the balsa Gods as on a seemingly straight forward high speed and low altitude flyby and with me as usual not paying sufficient attention it happened and the SS was no more. As from an altitude of approx. 10' or so I somehow dumb thumbed the aileron control and she promptly dropped a wing and rolled straight in.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:42 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am still laughing at both of the stories, and as OLD 85 + So I thought I would add another and flying rc sense 1962 with a single chnl thing I built in my dinning room the model at the time was a hi wing thing don't remember the name, with an escapement ( rubber band wind up power) the engine was an O/R 23 gas with ign coil etc etc, any way went out and flew it several time , so the coming sat, ask the wife to come out and see how good I could do well got every thing ready engine was hummmming hand launched it and then realized I forgot to turn on the RX, so being trimmed as a free flight to clime while under power at about a 15 degree angle so it flew straight as an arrow up up and up right into the over cast never to be seen again, and the wife said that was great,now I get a bigger diamond right.

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I had a similar experience Bob but my model was not trimmed for free flight!

In the Nineties I re-trained as a careers adviser. I didn't have a great deal of money for club fees but a friend of a friend was a farmer with a light aircraft and he let me fly my models on his land. It was a lovely summer's day, not a cloud in the sky and I'd had a successful flying session when I decided upon one last flight. The model was a Unowot four-channel trainer finished in chrome yellow film on the upper surfaces and fluorescent red underneath.The kit is still available: http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php...hris+Foss+Kits . I hand-launched the model and I remember thinking what a fine sight it made against a cobalt blue sky. Then it dropped its starboard wing. I put in a little left aileron. Nothing happened. I put in some more aileron, still nothing happened. Left rudder, no response. It dropped its nose and crashed to the ground as I was holding in full left aileron and rudder, but these Chris Foss designs are tough and the damage was easily repairable.

I had of course not switched on the receiver. Since then I've always checked the controls just before each take off.

Some time later I sold the model. It is one of two which I regret selling.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM
oh44077

hi Donny, I have been in the hobby since 1946. free flight then u control, then got into rc in 2002 . I just always liked to tinker and build things. its been so rewarding . its awonder I didn't blow myself up, as I built my stuff in a large old kitchen with a an old fashioned stove that my mom used to light with what they call farmer matches.. great fun days. flew u control on a base ball diamond. still have my old u contro with a forster 29 gas engine converted to glo it is a 1949 testors plane and engine. no disrespect, but I never heard of the ama until I started to get into rc. it was so much fun to see a project go together scratch building. back in those days no tv just radio or go see the westerns at the picture show for 10 cent. to a quarter. oh well enough living in the past. just enjoy and look to the future if there is going to be one.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by oh44077
... oh well enough living in the past. just enjoy and look to the future if there is going to be one.
Lol as young people say!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I had a similar experience Bob but my model was not trimmed for free flight!

In the Nineties I re-trained as a careers adviser. I didn't have a great deal of money for club fees but a friend of a friend was a farmer with a light aircraft and he let me fly my models on his land. It was a lovely summer's day, not a cloud in the sky and I'd had a successful flying session when I decided upon one last flight. The model was a Unowot four-channel trainer finished in chrome yellow film on the upper surfaces and fluorescent red underneath.The kit is still available: http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/index.php...hris+Foss+Kits . I hand-launched the model and I remember thinking what a fine sight it made against a cobalt blue sky. Then it dropped its starboard wing. I put in a little left aileron. Nothing happened. I put in some more aileron, still nothing happened. Left rudder, no response. It dropped its nose and crashed to the ground as I was holding in full left aileron and rudder, but these Chris Foss designs are tough and the damage was easily repairable.

I had of course not switched on the receiver. Since then I've always checked the controls just before each take off.

Some time later I sold the model. It is one of two which I regret selling.
Had one last fly of my ryan sta ( u know how one last fly always goes ) one day . Of course forgot to pull up the antenna of my Tx and u can guess the rest . Why is always the plane u like that end up sucking dirt . I now have the bigger black horse ryan in a box . Ill get around to that one day . Also had a sbac with a saito 82 which was a lovely plane . Anywho I was flying around upside down while some peckerhead was in my ear about nothing important and had a brain fade and up was down and down was up and it all ended pear shape !
Old 03-25-2017, 10:55 PM
oh44077

so sorry for you, lost my very healthy wife suddenly 6 years ago from a brain aneurism. 54 tears of a good marriage. in my case I always say I did not know how much I loved her until I lost her. god bless you.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry for your loss oh44077. At least you had 54 years of a happy marriage. You're a lucky man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.