Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 AM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Females , they will take u away from the hobby when your young and drive you to it when your older !
Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The Kinver lot left us as soon as they got their field back, except for one guy who had fallen in love with a local girl. He was the most skillful modeller and pilot I've ever met. He could fly both Mode 1 and Mode 2 and could start a four-stroke by hand! The couple are still together but he's given up aeromodelling for photography, her hobby!
He should have stuck with aeromodelling and had her do his photography!

Guys, please consider following this link and signing the petition to support our vets.

http://www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/...eals-on-wheels

Mike
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Guess stuff like that happens to most all of us at some stage or the other, as back in the late 70's when I was just learning to fly R/C my friend Vernon was flying his 60 size Gazarator when the rubbers bands holding the wing in place seemingly broke and the wing and fuse parted company. Well the fuse instantly became a high powered dart and from an altitude of about 150' it assumed a dive angle off approx. 60 deg and hit the earth with such force it buried the K&B 61 about 18" or so and though we searched diligently for the wing it was never found. After that incident I stopped using rubber bands to hold my wings in place.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

acdii, does your hat sizes actually true size? I would like to order one but I have a hard time finding one the fits my head, always too big. I would like to have a nice hat to go to the field.

Thanks
Rich
Old 04-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When we were in Missouri one of my friends had a Styrofoam Cub . It was only elevator and rudder. I was showing him how to fly it inverted. I could do it but he would loose it and have to recover. The Styrofoam wings were reinforced with strapping tape and rubber-band on. He got it in a power dive and pulled out hard. The fuselage top and bottom was glued together with white glue. That glue joint failed and the bottom half separated with engine, battery pack ,receiver and servos and left the top of the fuselage wings and tail to gently float to the ground.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Was there muct damage Joe? I'll bet the look on his face must have been something!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrich
acdii, does your hat sizes actually true size? I would like to order one but I have a hard time finding one the fits my head, always too big. I would like to have a nice hat to go to the field.

Thanks
Rich
I usually buy my hats off the rack, so whatever fits is what I gits. Have never actually checked my hat size. The Jacaru used to be sold at a mall along with other Aussie wear. I have an oil skin lng coat that needs cleaning and oiling still that I got with the hat.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:57 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess I have a small head, even the off the rack small is too big. I do need a good hat, I sun burn really bad. Maybe I'll give them a try.

Thanks
Rich
Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

Rich, inside my Australian Akubra hat is a small label with "61" printed which is my hat size in centimetres. If you don't have a metric tape measure, simply measure round your head with an Imperial tape measure then look up the answer on this website to see which size of hat you need:http://www.villagehatshop.com/conten...-hat-size.html

I cannot speak too highly of Akubra hats. Yes, they are expensive but they are worth every penny and Australian summers are baking hot so they should provide good protection for you if you burn easily. Their agent in North America is David Morgan: http://www.akubra-usa.com/.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Where is The Pope when we need him to come up with something sensible? Fast asleep I suppose!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 AM
acdii

Wait, Pope + Sensible, in the same sentence? ROFLMAO
Old 04-04-2017, 05:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Where is The Pope when we need him to come up with something sensible? Fast asleep I suppose!
He's probably in his cups after seeing O.F. wearing a dress riding his motorcycle last Sunday.

(See post # 33461 here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...aito-1339.html )
Old 04-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I've been quite moved by this little video I found on You Tube. It's way off topic and nothing to do with model aeroplanes, so mods please feel free to delete this post, but as we've been talking of houses and hats recently, this is perhaps not so far out of place. It features the choir of the National Union of Students of China singing a traditional English folk song. Now I know that they are nearly a quarter of the world's population and the PRC must have some incredibly talented people within its ranks, but could any choir from the English-speaking world have done so well with a traditional Chinese folk song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp9KsTXg7-I
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

I've been quite moved by this little video I found on You Tube. It's way off topic and nothing to do with model aeroplanes, so mods please feel free to delete this post, but as we've been talking of houses and hats recently, this is perhaps not so far out of place. It features the choir of the National Union of Students of China singing a traditional English folk song. Now I know that they are nearly a quarter of the world's population and the PRC must have some incredibly talented people within its ranks, but could any choir from the English-speaking world have done so well with a traditional Chinese folk song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp9KsTXg7-I
Good music knows no borders!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Never saw a model in sight yet was totally spellbound by their harmonious brilliance.....absolutely superb rendition. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM
the pope

Your making me laugh now ! What we Aussie hat makers do when we get customers from the U.S.A. is add a few inches to the circumference because we know you yanks are big headed , loud mouthed , gun toten s.o.b.'s . Hows that for international relations ? Oh crap Im starting to sound like Trump . Not that thats a bad thing . How's that for sensible ?
Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Originally Posted by the pope
Your making me laugh now ! What we Aussie hat makers do when we get customers from the U.S.A. is add a few inches to the circumference because we know you yanks are big headed , loud mouthed , gun toten s.o.b.'s . Hows that for international relations ? Oh crap Im starting to sound like Trump . Not that thats a bad thing . How's that for sensible ?
Now wait a minute. Back in the 60's while I was in the Navy I went to Australia two times on R&R. Back then the ratio 21 to 1. Australia lost a lot of there men in WW2. All the girls there I met there, said that, there men were, "big headed , loud mouthed , boomerang tooten s.o.b.'s ". If you want Trump, we would be glad to send him over.......
Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM
the pope

Over here thats a term of endearment and u forgot we've all got little weeners . As for the politicians , we got enough pecker heads to last a long while .
Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Over here thats a term of endearment and u forgot we've all got little weeners . As for the politicians , we got enough pecker heads to last a long while .
That's what the girls said..............LMAO................I know this one guy that's a modeler. If you added 1 lb. of dirt in a pile for every lie he has told, the earth's orbit would change.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

When I worked for the Australian National Railway in the late Seventies I met a man who's father was an American who had served in submarines in the US Navy.

Years later I came across two Americans who had been bomber pilots in World War 2. They had "fallen on their feet" in that they had won the love of two daughters of wealthy Devon farmers. They also stayed on, took over the farms, joined the Conservative Party and eventually were both elected mayor of local small towns in North Devon at the same time. There was quite an article about them in the local press. Of course they had to attend council meetings in the Civic Centre in Barnstaple. Unfortunately for them the Civic Centre was on the same site as the headquarters of the local police. Both men were done for drunken driving within a year of each other. Each had the grace to resign. Wouldn't happen now of course.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

.They say things go in threes, if that's so I've had three pieces of good fortune just lately. Firstly I re-assembled my motorcycle and it ran straight away, and secondly I got the BE2 to fly properly with the extra lead in the nose. My third piece of good fortune concerns a recurring theme on this thread: health.

About a month ago, for the first time in my life, I picked up an allergy. I had a rash on my chest and I itched everywhere from the crown of my head to my feet. I have not yet taken out private health insurance. I bought some ointment and antihistamine lotion from the chemist which made a slight difference but the rash was still there and if I wore a tee shirt you could see it. One of my model flying friends noticed it on Sunday. So on Monday, dreading the cost of uninsured medical treatment, I went round to see my doctor, Dr Danielle Pouhle, a trim little woman of about sixty years of age. She see's patients on a first-come-first-served basis in the mornings and reserves the afternoons for appointments. There was no-one in her waiting room so I didn't have to wait long before she invited me into her consulting room. She took one look at the rash and said it was caused by the pollen of the Spring. I also told her that I had taken statins when in England and showed her the empty packet. She told me to lie down on the couch then she examined me with her stethoscope for ten minutes before pronouncing that I had, "Une Bonne Sante!" and writing out a script for two different pills to take care of the allergy and a packet of statins as well. Cost of the consultation 23€. Cost of the pills 6.75€. Pretty reasonable I thought! Vive la France! Current exchange rate: 1€=$0.94US. What would it have cost me in the USA or Australia without insurance?

Mind you I got flashed for speeding in the two-tonner last week and I'm still waiting for the ticket. .

Must stop writing to you guys and get back to working on the new house!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-05-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

As my old boss you to say there was only one thing short about him and there was nothing he could do about it! It was his wife's problem any how. ;-)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:58 PM
the pope

If in aus tele , if your a pensioner or of limited means or at the docs alot the doc. can "bulk bill " u and the visit is free and scripts are about $5 aus . Otherwise visits probably around the same as what u pay but scripts can be about $20 . Cheers
Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
As my old boss you to say there was only one thing short about him and there was nothing he could do about it! It was his wife's problem any how. ;-)

A very wise man . Thats a Confucius quote is it not ?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:10 PM
acdii

Figure about $400 or more for the doctors visit and script. I had a clinic visit and Xray done for rib injuries from my crash in January. It cost nearly $1000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.