Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
How dare u ! The pope is 55 although most days he feels 90 . The brain doesnt age but the body sure does but dont get me started . Cheers
You don't have to feel 90. It's taken me a couple years of reading and trying things, now at 63 am not there yet, but a lot closer than I was before. It's our modern diet full of processed foods, modified grains, refined carbohydrates and etc. causing most our ills. Recently I had an A1C lab, I am no longer in the pre-diabetic range. Lost over 50 lbs. over the past two years, have about another 10 to go to be down to my normal BMI.

Following is a video from Dr. Steven Grundy:

haveenergyatanyage.com Steven Grundy Presentation Video

His main site is http://drgundry.com/. One of his books is "Dr. Grundy Diet Evolution".

However, your not limited there. If you search on William Davis, MD, Cardiologist (Author of "Wheat Belly"), David Perlmutter, MD, Neurologist (Author of "Grain Brain"), and get their books, you'll see a common consistent thread of recommendations regarding diet. In their books they substantiate their findings quoting various medical studies. There is a disinformation campaign, as following their recommendations do not support the largely profitable industries. These are the most popular, but there are others.

Effects of heart disease, dementia, arthritis, etc. can be reversed. When I eliminate the wheat in my diet, my arthritic pains go away. (Wheat is an inflammatory.) You are master over your own body, and you can make changes to improve your health. It is worth getting their books, following their suggestions, trying different things.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:18 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Every morning I have the same routine. I get up, switch on the computer, put the kettle on to make a mug of tea, and "go to the bathroom" as Americans so politely say! The first site I visit is RCU and the first thread I visit is this one, to see how you guys are getting on. We are all much the same age, the youngest must be in his late fifties, the eldest nearly ninety. We all have much the same experience of aeromodelling. When we were young if you wanted a model aeroplane you had to build it yourself. I expect that we have all built free flight, control line and radio controlled models in the past but apart from a few control line enthusiasts most of us fly only r/c these days. It saves chasing the buggers! Of those who post regularly here there are perhaps ten or twelve Americans, which is fair enough as this is an American website, The Pope in South Australia, karolh in Mandeville, Jamaica, and me, an ex-patriate Englishman in the middle of France. So that's about fourteen or fifteen of us who post regularly here, sharing our experiences not only of aeromodelling but of such matters as house repair, hats, medical systems and legal matters.

A friend and fellow aeromodeller in England, Ioan Wittmann is very keen on computers, while I am something of a computer-phobe! I have been on Facebook for some time and Ioan put my name forward to be accepted into Facebook's "Balsa Model Aircraft Builders Association." Once I had been accepted I put the same pictures of my BE2e on their page as I posted above and have gained to date 134 "likes" as well as lots of comments. What has amazed me is that the "likes" and comments have come from people from across the globe, not only from English-speaking countries but from countries including Denmark, China, Morocco, Paraguay, South Africa, India, Croatia and Brazil. There were even two blokes whose Facebook Page I couldn't read because they were in Cyrillic script. Russia? Bulgaria? Serbia?

The power of social media eh!
One of them was me, with Sounds like a telemaster to me. I recognized the plane from this thread.

53 this year.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 AM
acdii

How dare u ! The pope is 55 although most days he feels 90 . The brain doesnt age but the body sure does but dont get me started . Cheers

LOL, doesn't take much at all to get the pope started. Only one word and off ya go....guns

Running.....................
Old 04-13-2017, 11:24 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Turned 69 last month. I've just finished eight hours stripping wallpaper from the walls of my new house and I feel fine. Ok it's not like shearing sheep or mining coal but I've been active and I don't really feel tired. I guess I've just been lucky with my health, I do watch my weight and what I eat but will willingly confess to drinking too much which is why I don't get much building done! BMI of 28. If I were 5 kilos, (12lbs lighter) I'd probably feel better but hey, I like good wine and nice food and am prepared to die a bit younger in order to enjoy it! I'm quite prepared to believe that giving up certain foods makes a great deal of difference to certain people's health but so far I have not had to change my diet... or drinking habits.

Oh, and Pope, the brain can certainly age while the body remains pretty fit. A friend's father who flew a fighter aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm in the Second World War was still driving at 92, but then his memory started to fade and in the end he didn't even recognise his own children. He died last year but his wife, who is not my friend's mother, is still alive and living at home but in a mental state only one stage removed from senile dementia. My friend continues to support her as well as she can.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody seen on the news about the biggest non nuclear bomb they dropped in Afghanistan yesterday. It was dropped above caves where all the ISIS leaders hang out. There was a picture of it on line. It had to be 20 Ft. long. Had 11 tons of high explosives. Each one of those guys are suppose to get 77 virgins after they die. That's going to be a lot of virgins. News said there accessing the amount of damage. If you look at some of the pic's , it must have been one hell of a shock wave.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Next they can try it on ISIS headquarters in Syria and then ask Asad if he would like to step down.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM
acdii

Bet that shook the ground a bit. They used to drop big ones like this in Nam. Didn't do much good though.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:01 PM
LJE4357
Banned

ABC news just showed a test bomb TV. They haven't shown the actual bomb drop. They did show the ravenous mountain area. I imagine tomorrow will see it on TV.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess we can now classify the C-130 as a cargo, gunship and now a BOMBER!!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM
acdii

Wouldn't be the first time. In Nam they dropped 15K# bombs from C-130's to clear helicopter LZ's. This is only 5K more.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:30 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
You don't have to feel 90. It's taken me a couple years of reading and trying things, now at 63 am not there yet, but a lot closer than I was before. It's our modern diet full of processed foods, modified grains, refined carbohydrates and etc. causing most our ills. Recently I had an A1C lab, I am no longer in the pre-diabetic range. Lost over 50 lbs. over the past two years, have about another 10 to go to be down to my normal BMI.

Following is a video from Dr. Steven Grundy:

haveenergyatanyage.com Steven Grundy Presentation Video

His main site is http://drgundry.com/. One of his books is "Dr. Grundy Diet Evolution".

However, your not limited there. If you search on William Davis, MD, Cardiologist (Author of "Wheat Belly"), David Perlmutter, MD, Neurologist (Author of "Grain Brain"), and get their books, you'll see a common consistent thread of recommendations regarding diet. In their books they substantiate their findings quoting various medical studies. There is a disinformation campaign, as following their recommendations do not support the largely profitable industries. These are the most popular, but there are others.

Effects of heart disease, dementia, arthritis, etc. can be reversed. When I eliminate the wheat in my diet, my arthritic pains go away. (Wheat is an inflammatory.) You are master over your own body, and you can make changes to improve your health. It is worth getting their books, following their suggestions, trying different things.
Its not so much my diet its my knackered back and neck from heavy lifting at work for yrs . Did someone mention guns . I know who it was and I have u in my sights .
Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by tailskid
I guess we can now classify the C-130 as a cargo, gunship and now a BOMBER!!!!
It's also a troop carrier. Just think, back in WW2, this plane could have replaced, a bunch of other planes.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In 68',69 & 1970, and later another assignment in later 71, I was Loadmaster on C-130 E's fly out of CCK Taiwan into Viet Nam on a two week rotation. We had all kinds of missions, many you may know about, long hot tiring days and many very intense hairy moments. But the Bomb was a very interesting mission, I can't I can talk about all of it. I was trained, as were many others, on how to rig the parachutes on the load for airdrop, the weight & balance and altitude requirements. I was never tasked to drop one, but I saw films of it coming out of he aircraft and when it went off above the ground/jungle. The concussion just leveled everything. The one they dropped yesterday would be maybe 5 times more powerful. I think it is time to stop messing around over there and just get it done.

Rich

Last edited by jwrich; 04-14-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:13 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It appears to me the time for talk is over! I hope the generals have been released to wage war the way it is supposed to be fought and the politicians and news media removed from the process. with the tools at our disposal we should never lose a conflict.

If the soldiers are sent to fight that is what our politicians should let them do or let them come home, politics did not work in Vietnam either!

The C130 is one of my favorites I enjoyed flying in it, almost like a motorhome with all the amenities.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by jwrich
In 68',69 & 1970, and later another assignment in later 71, I was Loadmaster on C-130 E's fly out of CCK Taiwan into Viet Nam on a two week rotation. We had all kinds of missions, many you may know about, long hot tiring days and many very intense hairy moments. But the Bomb was a very interesting mission, I can't I can talk about all of it. I was trained, as were many others, on how to rig the parachutes on the load for airdrop, the weight & balance and altitude requirements. I was never tasked to drop one, but I saw films of it coming out of he aircraft and when it went off above the ground/jungle. The concussion just leveled everything. The one they dropped yesterday would be maybe 5 times more powerful. I think it is time to stop messing around over there and just get it done.

Rich
Personally I thinks it time to use a Neutron Bomb in that area. As long as the other Nuclear country's agree to it.

Talk about VietNam. Do any of you guys remember when the bridge between North Vietnam and China was knocked out, It wasn't done with a bomb. It was kind of a test on accuracy. I can't talk about that one either. After it was hit, they rebuilt it.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:57 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I built a C-130, about 10' wing span, 4 OS-LA 40's, I painted it in the VietNam colors. It was very easy to fly. Sold it to a guy who wanted it more than I could turn down.

Here are some pictures

After the maiden flight

Fair Winds % Happy Flyin'
Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	130-140.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	2209674   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-240.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	2209675   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-250.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	2209676   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-242.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2209677   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-259.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	2209678   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-261.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	2209679   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-264.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	2209683  
Old 04-14-2017, 05:47 PM
LJE4357
Banned

I been looking for some of the models I built when I was in the Navy. So far I haven't found what I was looking for. I think it's a slide. So tomorrow I digging out another box. I did find some interesting ones. There all in Black & White. Does anybody know where this is at? Now I need a way to scan slides. Not sure if I can do that with my HP Office 8600.

Name:	Hong Kong.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	2209716  
Old 04-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

First R/C was a Goldberg Jr. Falcon, silkspan with tissue trim, Babe Bee, and a Mattel pulse radio back in 1979.
The radio was surplus from an ad - had to go to Radio Shack for the airborne battery box, switch etc.

Have an old Eaglet 50 from ~ 1990 with a K&B 20 Sportster. Haven't flown since '99. The plane and engine needs refurbishing.
Can't wait to start flying again!

Bob
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Good for you Bob.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:23 AM
LJE4357
Banned

The pic is Hong Kong in 1965. I was there for R&R when I was in the Navy. You guys got me looking for old pic's when I was in the Navy.

Here's one you guys will love. I was about 8 years old, I think that's when I first joined the AMA. A friend of mine ( we called him Goat) was a modeler also along with his older brother and father. His dad was flying the old escapement RC. One day he and I go into this drug store named Katz. This in St Louis Mo. Beside's drugs they had a lot of other stuff including a bunch of model rubber band kits. Goat walks up to the area that had batteries. He picks up one of the 90 Volt battery's used in the transmitter, then shoves in his pants right in front of his stomach. Then covers the top with his Tee shirt. Well I guess it was the manager that seen him do it. I was in the next isle over but could see him. The guy walked up to him and started talking to him, then he drops his keys. Goat bends over to pick them up and the battery terminals hit his belly and shocked the crap out of him. He pulls the battery out of his pants throw's it back on the shelf and runs out of the store. I was laughing so hard as I walked out of the store to find him. You guys are bringing back memories.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I've been quite moved by this little video I found on You Tube. It's way off topic and nothing to do with model aeroplanes, so mods please feel free to delete this post, but as we've been talking of houses and hats recently, this is perhaps not so far out of place. It features the choir of the National Union of Students of China singing a traditional English folk song. Now I know that they are nearly a quarter of the world's population and the PRC must have some incredibly talented people within its ranks, but could any choir from the English-speaking world have done so well with a traditional Chinese folk song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp9KsTXg7-I
I read somewhere that China has more people than can speak English than America does.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:43 PM
LJE4357
Banned

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I read somewhere that China has more people than can speak English than America does.

That's because a lot more people than we do. The other issue is half the people here in the US can't speak English anyway. ( Comprendy )
Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I've heard that the population of the People's Republic of China make up nearly a quarter of the entire population of the world.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something is wrong with me.....I think I was raised during the depression or something....I keep saving 'things'....my last plane (Escapade MX) I had all this left over - and saved every bit of it! Then look at the EMPTY servo cases...and there is more stored somewhere else! I even have my AMA Cards back to the early 70's......I hope there is a cure other than death! And another thing...where did all those servos go????

Name:	IMG_7228.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	2210007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7230.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	762.1 KB
ID:	2210008  
Old 04-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by acdii
One of them was me, with Sounds like a telemaster to me. I recognized the plane from this thread.

53 this year.
I also posted this publicity picture of "Team Telemaster Sales UK" on Facebook, "Increasing Size of Model, Decreasing Size of Modeller!"

The big guy on the left is the Ioan Wittmann referred to in my previous post.The name is pronounced "Yo-An," it's one of several Welsh equivalents of "John." Ioan's mother was Welsh and his father was German. He was a prisoner of war and related to the famous Panzer commander Michael Wittmann.

My best mate in England is called Marino Pacini whose father was also a prisoner of war. Picture of the two of us on his wedding day.

My father was a commando, a radio operator, who was wounded and captured at Dieppe.

When I'm next back in England I intend to have all three of us sons of prisoners of war photographed together! It shouldn't be difficult to arrange as both Marino and Ioan are motor mechanics and Ioan works for Marino every Wednesday.

Name:	Team Telemaster increasing size of models decreasing size of modellers.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	2210005   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0329.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	2210006  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.