Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I get moon burns so I lather up with the SS high SPF all the time. I carry two different types with me at all times.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
I'll add a comment most likely over built and not selecting the wood correctly for it's use, leaned that a long ways back in my U-control days
But what do I know, an old geezer @ 85

Cheers bob T
My thoughts exactly.....just goes to show how little we sometimes know even at 76. I'm quite sure if I were to do it all over a again it would come out as I wanted it to in the first place. Guess we all live and hopefully learn.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM
acdii

At least it doesn't weigh in at 52 pounds.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The paddle hat was like that except the brim went all around and it had a string to keep it on.
Flyer,
Where did you get that hat at??? I wear a similar had that I really like. The hat I use now it like that one with the exception of it doesn't have the flap that you an roll down to protect your neck from sunburn. I would like to get a hat that is shown in the picture that has some weight to it, has a neck strap so that you can keep it on in the wind, and the neck flap to protect your neck from sunburn. The hat in the picture is just about perfect for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ken
Old 06-14-2017, 11:04 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I gotta get one of them hats my neck is stinging like mad. texas sun is ruthless, this is the second time I got sun bit.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Walmart carries several different versions (first link), the second link is the one I saw in the flesh:

https://www.walmart.com/search/searc...%20neck%20flap

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Pad...-Flap/55415089

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-14-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
What are they ? Just joking . There a bit too spendy for us common folk . A few at my club where a Arafat type hat . https://www.cancercouncilshop.org.au...ahari-hat.html
I like the broad brin hat with a flap at the back for covering the neck . Some of the worst sunburn Ive had at the club is on milder days where u dont think u need sunscreen . When I was young we used to cook ourselves down the beach all weekend , Oil used as well for the icing on the cake . Ive heard of skin cancer under finger nails . Wat tha
I'm sure that those flap hats are very efficient and yes Akubras are expensive, but they're like Rolls Royces, you don't just buy a new Akubra, you have to chose the style and colour, measure you head to determine your size and order it. Three months later a hat box turns up all the way from Australia and you have to pay import duties and Value Added Tax. They're beautifully made but mine is getting a bit battered from all of the oil.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

What an own a hat too expensive to strain fuel thru it?!
Old 06-14-2017, 01:36 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with you guys on the hat but if I can find one like I saw at a fly in I would buy it in a hart beat, it was Assie style hard brim hat that the front can be snapped up with the neck flap, chin strings but I have no clue at a price.

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I see them at Army/Navy stores down here all the time
Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Just for the fun of it I thought I would mention something plane related. Once again I have succumb to temptation here is the latest acquisition. The kit is pretty complete all I need is covering, radio gear, battery, and ESC, the Motors, mounts, adapters, and props included. Granted it electric and not IC and the motors are brushed and not brushless but for the right price I make allowances. I'm cheap so I'll build it as designed with the bushed motors but substitute a 2 cell LiPo for the battery instead a brick heavy NiCAD battery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Graupner Junkers Ju-52 New Kit   001.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	2220240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graupner Junkers Ju-52 New Kit   002.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2220241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graupner Junkers Ju-52 New Kit   003.JPG
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2220242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Graupner Junkers Ju-52 New Kit    004.JPG
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2220243  
Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM
rt3232

Nice

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 PM
FlyerInOKC

Years ago my son was in Germany and bought me the little brother ARF, it was a fun little airplane.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 AM
donnyman

Well guys I am officially involved in the world of the 2.4 ghz, But I still don't have a clue as to what I am doing, but what is working is looking real nice. I have the radio installed in my eagle 2 trainer, I don't know how I actually accomplished it but The receiver is bound to the trans. quite to my surprise. I will use the trainer to get familiar with all the goodies so if I goof up it won't kill my budget. It appears this radio will be perfect for my more sophisticated planes as soon as my brain gets in gear.

I am distressed because I have a lot of radios on 72 mhz that work, but just don't have a need for. I am going to check with the local club to see if these units can be used by the newbies as a first radio set. I hate to waste them.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm using both 2.4 gHz and Channel 42 on 72 mHz
Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Well guys I am officially involved in the world of the 2.4 ghz, But I still don't have a clue as to what I am doing, but what is working is looking real nice. I have the radio installed in my eagle 2 trainer, I don't know how I actually accomplished it but The receiver is bound to the trans. quite to my surprise. I will use the trainer to get familiar with all the goodies so if I goof up it won't kill my budget. It appears this radio will be perfect for my more sophisticated planes as soon as my brain gets in gear.

I am distressed because I have a lot of radios on 72 mhz that work, but just don't have a need for. I am going to check with the local club to see if these units can be used by the newbies as a first radio set. I hate to waste them.

Like you I was distressed about the obsolescence factor with all my expensive 72mhz equipment when I migrated to spread spectrum radios but I bit the bullet and after due deliberation I trashed the old stuff. I don't know what the airwaves are like in your area but in my area 72mhz is not practical any longer. It has become 2.4 ghz or don't fly. I suspect that with every device imaginable emitting signals , anything that can crash or cause injury should be on discrete frequencies Also in the mix is the low cost of 2.4ghz equipment today. You can buy a system at half the cost of one of the old 72mhz radios with aftermarket add-ons that work fine and don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmeyers
Like you I was distressed about the obsolescence factor with all my expensive 72mhz equipment when I migrated to spread spectrum radios but I bit the bullet and after due deliberation I trashed the old stuff. I don't know what the airwaves are like in your area but in my area 72mhz is not practical any longer. It has become 2.4 ghz or don't fly. I suspect that with every device imaginable emitting signals , anything that can crash or cause injury should be on discrete frequencies Also in the mix is the low cost of 2.4ghz equipment today. You can buy a system at half the cost of one of the old 72mhz radios with aftermarket add-ons that work fine and don't cost an arm and a leg.
This matter gives me a lot of reason to think. I make a considerable number of "hauls" off craigslist where the seller is influenced by the spouse, by the time I get there for whatever doo dads I was meaning to purchase - throw the whole lot at me, when I arrive. "Get rid of ALL of it, Dear!," seems to be the typical comment from the spouse.
That means I have learned to empty the back of my Ford Explorer before going out on the pickup, because I usually end up with way more than I originally showed interest in.
Well, I have ended up with many 72MHz transmitters and receivers, and don't want them cluttering up landfills.
There are places that salvage gold and other things from the electronics.
The latest word I have gotten, here in the US, is that Staples collects old electronics.
I haven't tried it yet, but hoping they do and are responsible with recycling the equip.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:26 AM
acdii

Consider the cost of the planes you are flying compared to replacing one transmitter and a bunch of RX. If you go the Futaba way, FrSky has the TFR6 receivers that are 7 channel FAAST and are under $30 each. If you went DSM2/DMSX(Spectrum) there are the orange RX for under $20 each for 6 channel. There are others out there too that are low cost and reliable. The TX is the main expense, so getting a good TX is a must.

Look at it this way, you wreck a $1000 airplane due to a radio hit, you are out a $1000 airplane, but if you buy a $400 radio and a few $30 RX, you are not really out anything, just upgrading and insuring that having a radio malfunction due to crowded airwaves is the least likely of your worries.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I'm using both 2.4 gHz and Channel 42 on 72 mHz
Yes so am I. my futaba 9c will be getting a conversion pack soon so it will be around for a while. and I have a few 72's dedicated to a specific model. with no reason to convert.

But with the 9c and the frsky horus I have no need for anything else, they will handle a lot more planes than whats in my hanger. so the rest of the stuff has to go.

Last edited by donnyman; 06-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a positive to 72 MHz. It is reasonably immune to high voltage RF interference. If there are high voltage transmission lines near your flying field and your 2.4 GHz spread spectrum radios are experiencing glitches, using 72 MHz might be a way to mitigate.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:03 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I was having a very hard time deciding if going to 2.4 GHz was for me as all my 72 MHz stuff was working perfectly, but after experiencing a very long and frightening glitch which seemed to last forever while flying one of my gas models, my mind was made up the moment the plane was safely back on the ground. It was a bit difficult at first discarding all of this good 72 stuff but discretion proved to be the better part of valor and eventually I changed over all my models to 2.4. That was about 10 years ago and since that time I have never had a problem including even the tiniest of glitches with my Futaba 8UAF / FrSky 2.4 module system.

Last edited by karolh; 06-20-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Over time, electronic components age. Electrolytic capacitors break down, resistors age, etc. If it wasn't working reliably, then it would be time to repair or ditch. That goes for equipment on any frequency.

We had a problem in Clovis NM with the power company constructing a high voltage transmission line along the edge of the county road that the city owned field abutted against. Those with larger aircraft, like the quarter scale and those with fast flying smaller planes could possibly strike the wires or poles especially during the approach on landing or take off.

We have a new field provided by the city about a half mile from that location, away from any electrical power infrastructure. High voltage electromagnetic interference is no longer a concern at our new location.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 radios

Donnyman & othere,
call orr electronics can convert 72mg's to 2.4. As can the editor of vintage rc society.
I am having a few medical problems... Again... But soon i will send one of my 7 kraft radio sets in to be converted.
As you may know kraft transmitters have the most power output to the max allowed by the fcc.850mw other sets are about half of that. Or less some as low as 300mw.
Also if you have any 72mc radios & still want to use them. Send them to cal for a tune up. As some of the capacitors age & may be the cause of unexplained glitches.
I still fly 3 of my kraft radios on 72mg i have not experienced any glitches at the 2 fields i fly in.
Also i have 4 futabas on 72 no problem there either. You have to weigh the age of your sets vs upgrade or buy new.
It's the ole six of those or a 1/2 dozen of the other routeen.
Anyway keep em flying.
Oh! If anyone who have read my post on my building a dynaflite super decathlon. Well the idiocyresies and bad engineering problem have all been redesigned & the wings. Tail feathers & fuse are just about ready to cover. At 88 years old i have become a slow builder but i am getting there building and flying as long as i can,'

trainer master 80 frankie g
Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 AM
rt3232

Originally Posted by karolh
I was having a very hard time deciding if going to 2.4 GHz was for me as all my 72 MHz stuff was working perfectly, but after experiencing a very long and frightening glitch which seemed to last forever while flying one of my gas models, my mind was made up the moment the plane was safely back on the ground. It was a bit difficult at first discarding all of this good 72 stuff but discretion proved to be the better part of valor and eventually I changed over all my models to 2.4. That was about 10 years ago and since that time I have never had a problem including even the tiniest of glitches with my Futaba 8UAF / FrSky 2.4 module system.
About the same experience hear, a flying buddy and I got the 8U when they first came out and both were converted to2.4 as soon as the module came out and have had 0 glitches with them our only complaint was the programming procedures even to day futaba's manuals are in some ways vary confusing, the best part is I have never had a brown out or a glitch . Ware some of our club members with different brands have had, brown out's and glitches that were coastlly , We have high voltage lines about 40 yards across a major road from our field , and we have a line of pine trees on our side of the road that works as a good barrier , but our rules have allways been never fly over the road,
But that is just my take on this

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am usually a early adopter of most things . When 2.4 came along I jumped straight away . I didnt want to forget to pull up the antena ( been there ) so I sold of all my 36meg stuff straight away . I was able to get good $ for the receivers and I had a friend who could get stuff cheap so I basically didnt lose out . This approach has bitten me in the rear end as well . Remember the Mintor engines ? Ive got 2 of those

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.