The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have looked at them myself and they do seem to offer a good value for the buck. I have a tendency to look at my projects I have now and what I think I will be build 5 years down the road and then pick the level of radio I think I need. I like to allow myself the option of replacing a less expensive radio more often then buying a complicated radio I can't justify replacing as often. I like I can more easily afford to replace my radio system as technology progresses. It seems the cost of new technologies in radios declines when adjusted for inflation over the long haul.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:34 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the reasons I bought the Futaba 14SG is because it supports 3 different formats. I can also find less expensive RX that are reliable for the radio. The one thing I don't like about the Futaba is that the programming is funky at times. You cant do flaps with single servo ailerons. You have to split channels in order to do flaps. Compared to the JR 12X, the programming is clunky. What kept me from expanding on the JR is the delay between signal loss and recovery. The Futaba is immediate, which saved the Rascal168 from my absentminded placement of the RX, had it been the JR, there is a good chance it would not have recovered in time. On the flip side, the Spectrum/JR RX have satellites that can be located in different areas to avoid such a mistake that I made. I have had too many glitches with signal loss using the DX6i and DX8 radios, which soured me from the JR, and I probably shouldn't be since JR is a more dependable radio, but it is also an old radio and no longer supported.

The Futaba OTOH will be for some time to come, and since it is nearly identical to the 8FGS which I also have, I can program them identical when setting up trainers.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What receivers are you using with the 14SG?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
What receivers are you using with the 14SG?
FrSky TFR6 7 channel FAAST
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-tf...ompatible.html

Never had an issue with hundreds of flights on several of them. I did have one out of the box that wouldn't bind, but figured it out eventually that it was the radio and not the RX that caused it. I use that one for setting up and not in any actual planes, just to be safe. Works great for when you want to work on a wing, or something and dont want to, or have the room to, assemble the whole thing. Once I have the settings, like flap positions, I can just copy it to a new profile and bind that profile to a new RX.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a very reasonable price.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:22 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have one in my Something Extra, and that is my most flown plane. The plane will give out long before the RX will.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, just an update. My plate is really full now; Hogs and Storm. I followed the storm throughout the day and night until it passed by Orlando. Thought I was home free no calls. That changed in the morning. I got the call that the street had flooded up to the house. The back yard had flooded and water entered the house. House is in a no flood zone. No power, not sure on water supply. Plan is to get water out ASAP. That is almost done. It does not seem that it went up more than an inch. Trying to verify. Floors are tile so it is less of a problem than carpeting. Trying to work on a plan of action. I am thinking on drying house out, close it up and fly the one family member out. I can then address the house when conditions improve. Right now I can't drive down there. Apparently no gas, roads closed for returning residents. I can take supplies but not sure how easy it would be to get there.

I thought hogs had moved on so I locked trap open so I could work on the runway. Yesterday I was out there and found more damage but not on runway. I set the trap again and got these few hogs. Pastures were cut and hay was baled. That is where they hit. They got the center pasture real good. There had to be a large Sounder of hogs doing the damage. Damage Was Extensive. It is going to be a hog wild rest of the year for me. RC is on hold for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2231599  
Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pasture damage. Damage all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	22
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2231603  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good news all around, no one was hurt and damage was minimal everyone in Florida is smiling!

ET pilot
you got it made as far as keeping bacon and ham in the frig. five hogs at once is quite a haul. We haven't seen any hogs just coyotes and rabbits and niether is a problem.
I haven't done much flying so my landing strip is rather grown over. I have so many honeydo's I don't get much of anything finished I am spread too thin and getting help is next to impossible. what help I get is unreliable for the most part.
Looking at selling and getting something much smaller.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We were pretty lucky with this storm. It was only a CAT 2 when it crossed. I image what a CAT 4 or 5 would have done.
The road ahead looks a bit brighter. Power, which was of main concern, was restored yesterday. A big surprise. That changes the recovery significantly. Now I can plan to go there a lot later when conditions all around improve. We had a crew of workers come in to help with the clean up. Had downed trees and tree limbs that had to be removed. The backyard wooden fence just opened up and panels dropped in 3 neighbor's yards. So progress is being made. I can relax more.

Last picture of the hogs. There were hog tied and carted off. I'll get my share later. Trap ready to catch some more.

Donny, I know about being stretched too thin. I seem to work under that condition. I try to get some RC fun in when I can.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	13
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2231759  
Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We came home to some yard cleanup and missing fence but no real damage. Parts of Jacksonville got hammered bad but my clocks weren't even flashing.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for the change in subject but Donny nudged my memory, did anyone else see that news item about the coyote that got hit crossing the road? The driver went another 20 miles before a road crew member pointed out the coyote was stuck in the grill. It was dazed but very much alive and relatively unhurt. The contacted the fish and game department to free him and cart him off. My wife's cousin evacuated with an assortment of 6 animals and is now in NY where she still owns a home.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh, I remember that one. That was one lucky yote, though they don't survive for long by me, they suffer from lead poisoning.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember back in my high school days a friend bought a new Chevy pick up and made the payments during fur season hunt coyotes.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The coyotes around here, I think, are more of a asset than liability, the rats and mice population is held to a minimum by them. Of course I may feel different if I had chickens or something like that but for now the coyotes can go into cruise mode around here. the two legged varmints are a bigger problem and much harder to deal with.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Really! They frown on you shooting them!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I went to Kansas again this past weekend and I spotted something I can't believe I didn't see before. Along the I35 around the the toll plaza you pay your toll at when you are south bound from Wichita, KS in a field on the west side of the highway sits a field with a bunch of cars in it and low and behold I spotted what looked like a Stinson Reliant missing it's cowl and engine and a little biplane complete that might have been a Tiger Moth. It's hard to make a careful identification when you are whizzing pass at 75 MPH and you weren't expecting to see airplanes just sitting there in the first place. If any of you here have passed that way recently or plan to do so let me know what you saw then too.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 AM
gmeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Well I went to Kansas again this past weekend and I spotted something I can't believe I didn't see before. Along the I35 around the the toll plaza you pay your toll at when you are south bound from Wichita, KS in a field on the west side of the highway sits a field with a bunch of cars in it and low and behold I spotted what looked like a Stinson Reliant missing it's cowl and engine and a little biplane complete that might have been a Tiger Moth. It's hard to make a careful identification when you are whizzing pass at 75 MPH and you weren't expecting to see airplanes just sitting there in the first place. If any of you here have passed that way recently or plan to do so let me know what you saw then too.
When our RC club lost it's field and I was out and about searching for a new suitable site I went to an abandoned airfield nearby and low and behold it wasn't abandoned it had squatters on it. In one of the hangers there was a Stinson Reliant barebones and in mid restoration. I was lucky to be able to watch the covering being shellacked on over a period of about 2 to 3 months. The framework was gorgeous (almost a shame to cover it) and when it was done it vanished . I guess they hauled it to another small airport nearby to complete the restoration. It's quite a job for an individual to take on a restore job like that.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! That was lucky! On a sidebar was the club able to get access to the field?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Have you tried looking at the google map in that area?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Have you tried looking at the google map in that area?
No, I'm not that bright.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried it but I couldn't find the anything in the field.
Old Today, 06:52 AM
gmeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Wow! That was lucky! On a sidebar was the club able to get access to the field?
No the owner was in prison for letting druglords use the strip to move drugs and cash so the Feds had control of it. Individuals (like me) could use it on rare occassions as long as we kept it low-key. One neighboring farmer told me he wouldn't tolerate model planes there so I limited my flying to electric. Shame as it was a perfect field.
Old Today, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would return the farmer's favor and turn him in when he gets too noisy.
Old Today, 10:59 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeyers View Post
No the owner was in prison for letting druglords use the strip to move drugs and cash so the Feds had control of it. Individuals (like me) could use it on rare occassions as long as we kept it low-key. One neighboring farmer told me he wouldn't tolerate model planes there so I limited my flying to electric. Shame as it was a perfect field.
The problem of someone trying to control others activities occurs all to often, Here we ignore them if we have permission to use the land from the owner/or controlling person. even if we overfly there land he can't say or do much, just try not to land on his property, we have had instances were the land owners held models for ransom and caused some real fireworks to say the least. You have rights also don,t fear using them!

Search this Thread