Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gmeyers
No the owner was in prison for letting druglords use the strip to move drugs and cash so the Feds had control of it. Individuals (like me) could use it on rare occassions as long as we kept it low-key. One neighboring farmer told me he wouldn't tolerate model planes there so I limited my flying to electric. Shame as it was a perfect field.
The problem of someone trying to control others activities occurs all to often, Here we ignore them if we have permission to use the land from the owner/or controlling person. even if we overfly there land he can't say or do much, just try not to land on his property, we have had instances were the land owners held models for ransom and caused some real fireworks to say the least. You have rights also don,t fear using them!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
donnyman

I went to Monaville Tex. for a big bird meet and saw a large f-14, "man what a money hole" That thing must have cost at least $2-3000+ without the engines and gear, another $8-10000+. but it was a beaut.

Monaville attracts some of the finest planes from all over the country, I was only there to accompany a friend that didn't want to travel alone and I did not bring my camera and now regret it. so I can't share in pictures what was going on.
suffice it to say if you can get to one of the Bomber field events in Monaville tex. do visit, most times it is worth it.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:35 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well they do say everything is bigger in texas.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

My club is fortunate in that the field from which we fly belongs to the commune, the smallest unit of local government in France. We pay them a rent and they give us a 500€ grant each year. It sounds bizarre but that's the way they do things in France. I can't remember who whether the grant is greater than the rent or whether it's the other way round but the club fees are low.

The fields on either side of the landing strip are owned by two different farmers. They don't seem to mind if we land out in one of their fields and they pop in for a drink occasionally at our bar.

The one farmer's wife is quite a hottie.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 PM
acdii

A flying field, with a bar. Damn, that is one heck of a field.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

It wouldn't be allowed in England!

Pictures show the preparations for New Year's Eve 2016 and one of our Springtime lunches.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Year's Eve 2016 (2) (Small).JPG
Views:	54
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2233177   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2m Barbeque (4).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2233178  
Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 AM
acdii

Now I see why you moved to France!
Old 09-24-2017, 05:39 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm trying to loose 20 pounds and you are posting food pictures. Not good. Now that bread on the table. Hummmm.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:02 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
I'm trying to loose 20 pounds and you are posting food pictures. Not good. Now that bread on the table. Hummmm.
Ditto to your sentiments
Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 AM
acdii

Try 50 pounds! Grr, bread is my downfall, especially fresh baked.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:08 PM
ETpilot

Ah! Bread it's an Addiction.

I usually gain weight in the winter. But I alway lose it in the summer working in Texas heat. Not this year! I haven't lost a pound. So diet it is.

I had time to finally work on my hog damaged runway. I dragged it with this pine log. It filled the rooted out holes and leveled the ground some. Then I used my steel drag over the area. This helped a lot. Still needs more work.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2233552  
Old 09-24-2017, 03:15 PM
ETpilot

Here is what the runway looks like now. The clumps you see are just grass and some with a little dirt. Looks much better than before. I still have a 30x300' strip. I just have to adjust my landings. Easier said than done. Lol.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2233553  
Old 09-25-2017, 07:35 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Here is what the runway looks like now. The clumps you see are just grass and some with a little dirt. Looks much better than before. I still have a 30x300' strip. I just have to adjust my landings. Easier said than done. Lol.
I envy you, If I could get past all the honeydo's I would be very pleased to level my flying site. I have been getting rid of as much stuff I can, my life is filled with too much junk, it's got to go! we are considering leaving this area for various reasons, but cleaning up all the things I have accumulated over the years is truly a burden.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Don't listen to them Telemaster post all the food pictures you want. The way I look at it skinny people don't really live longer they are just so miserable from the constant dieting it just seems like it.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by donnyman
I envy you, If I could get past all the honeydo's I would be very pleased to level my flying site. I have been getting rid of as much stuff I can, my life is filled with too much junk, it's got to go! we are considering leaving this area for various reasons, but cleaning up all the things I have accumulated over the years is truly a burden.
Donny, I know just how you feel. I've been working hard to get caught up on things. Then these nasty hogs hit. Now I am behind again. Not just the runway but I have to level the pasture areas too. They sure did a lot of damage. My tractor has been down since Monday and that is not good if you have land. The tractor is your workmate. I got my needed part and it should be running today.

I, too, am giving thought to getting rid of a few things. I'm looking around and making a list. May set up a garage sale in cooler weather. Then there is always the radio swap-shop we have here. Hope to sell off things. All that takes time. As I get older, my workday gets shorter.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 AM
alligaitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was 12 my buddy (3yrs older then me) built me a 3 channel RC unit out of an old Lafayette walkie talkie and a reed relay ..he's now retired from Raytheon's research dept.

Last edited by alligaitor; 09-27-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

I try to stay disciplined and keep the R/C stuff down to just what I need or will need is for the next couple of projects. It isn't easy. The wife and I have been downsizing the amount of stuff we have after having learned a lesson when we had to liquidate the estate of both our mothers within a year of each other.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm in the process of moving house and find that I've got far too much stuff!

Will I ever finish, or even start that 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
I went to Monaville Tex. for a big bird meet and saw a large f-14, "man what a money hole" That thing must have cost at least $2-3000+ without the engines and gear, another $8-10000+. but it was a beaut.
We had a new member of the club, Jean-Francois, turn up with a similarly expensive jet powered Eurofighter Typhoon a couple of Sunday's back. If you go to Facebook and type in B2M-Berry March Modelisme you'll be able to see pictures of it. He started it up and carried out taxi trials with it. Apparently it requires a few adjustments. You don't take chances with models as fast, heavy and expensive as that! Our runway is probably too short for it and he will have to go down to Gueret to fly off their lengthy grass field. The thing even had brakes and when he opened the throttle fully the noise was deafening. It's amazing how many Frenchmen called Jean-Francois like to abbreviate and Anglicise their name to "Jeff!" I know of another two!

If you visit our Facebook page you will also be able to see Jean-Elie our youngest member maidening his Calmato, coached by Roger Aubard, our Chief Flying Instructor. Roger is modelling the club's latest polo shirt which appears to be white in the initial footage but in reality it's sky blue. http://B2M - Berry Marche Modélisme

If you scroll down to the film footage posted on September 10th, you can see Francois landing my old WOT 4 Foam-E electric model which I crashed and gave away. Francois is a retired ship's engineer, he repaired it!

Then there's your humble servant taking off with his Thunder Tiger-powered WOT 4 which is covered in film off-cuts, followed by Morgane Perrin, our keenest female member, taking off with one of the club trainers on the buddy box with Roger. She's becoming very confident but managed to plant one big time a few weeks ago at high speed and low altitiude. Roger was too slow in regaining control and has replaced the model at his own expense. Female members don't pay club fees in our club. This is in order to promote greater inclusion, not that our fees are at all expensive. The final bit of film shows five aeromodellers trying to sort out a minor problem with the trainer!

I will be without internet facilities over the next ten days or so as I move house today.

Happy Landings!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 PM
patersson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please people stay off this scam site chinglabs.com i got scammed there. they don't deliver atall. They will take your money and never reply again
Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I'm in the process of moving house and find that I've got far too much stuff!

Will I ever finish, or even start that 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel?
Why are you moving again I thought you liked it where you were at?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:32 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Donny ~~ I don't know if this will be of any help but years ago I used to take care of our flying field and found that dragging a " pallet " behind the lawn tractor really helped keep the field smooth. It also helped keep the clumped grass where I could pick it up a bit easier . You need to play around a bit with the " weight " you put on the pallet . Luck Red
Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I do like it here Flyer. I am simply moving out of a rented house and into one which I own 5kms away.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I do like it here Flyer. I am simply moving out of a rented house and into one which I own 5kms away.
That makes sense, there are advantages t home ownership. How would Brexit affected the purchase had GB already left the EU?
Old 09-28-2017, 12:36 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by red head
Donny ~~ I don't know if this will be of any help but years ago I used to take care of our flying field and found that dragging a " pallet " behind the lawn tractor really helped keep the field smooth. It also helped keep the clumped grass where I could pick it up a bit easier . You need to play around a bit with the " weight " you put on the pallet . Luck Red
Thanks but after cutting I use a box blade for most of my levelling. I also have a roller but I am not sure it is of sufficient weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.