Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-24-2017, 07:29 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
I can`t find my old registration number.
You mean you didn't apply it to your plane like you were supposed to?!!!! Shocking!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:22 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

You can go to the FAA website and look up your registration there. You'll need to remember your E-mail address used to register, if you registered on-line. Then you can retrieve your number and status.

This is not the nation I remember 40 years ago. I remembered that model planes were outlawed in some Southeast Asian countries during and after Vietnam war. In the SoCal area back in the 1980's, I remembered municipalities that banned model aircraft flight in their city and school parks. That paranoia is now being extended federally with the ban in federal parks, and now being clamped down on by the aviation administration. Older modelers are getting out of the model aircraft recreational flying business. I'm considering suspending mine as well.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 11-24-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I just write it on a tire with black sharpee
Old 11-24-2017, 04:49 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A while back I posted about trying to lose weight. I was at 220 lbs. I managed to get down to 215. I knew Thanksgiving was going to be a problem. And it was. I went up to 218. So today I worked out in my wood pile. Cutting rounds, splitting and stacking firewood. I am now back to 215. New goal 210 lbs. Yes! progress! Hungry but progressing to target weight.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
A while back I posted about trying to lose weight. I was at 220 lbs. I managed to get down to 215. I knew Thanksgiving was going to be a problem. And it was. I went up to 218. So today I worked out in my wood pile. Cutting rounds, splitting and stacking firewood. I am now back to 215. New goal 210 lbs. Yes! progress! Hungry but progressing to target weight.
Hang in there buddy. Back in my 20's I weigh as much as 285. In the 1990's I was usually in the 230's. In the 2000's I have gotten down to 178. Last week I was 189 this week 195. I have to do some starving and working out. I have probibly lost over 200 lbs in my life it is a never ending battle.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:33 PM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
You can go to the FAA website and look up your registration there. You'll need to remember your E-mail address used to register, if you registered on-line. Then you can retrieve your number and status.

This is not the nation I remember 40 years ago. I remembered that model planes were outlawed in some Southeast Asian countries during and after Vietnam war. In the SoCal area back in the 1980's, I remembered municipalities that banned model aircraft flight in their city and school parks. That paranoia is now being extended federally with the ban in federal parks, and now being clamped down on by the aviation administration. Older modelers are getting out of the model aircraft recreational flying business. I'm considering suspending mine as well.
Regretfully the AMA is a tiger with no teeth and I've seen flying spots vanishing since the 50's - kinda like Wack A Mole - one new flying site pops up and some government entity shuts it down. If not a government entity then it's progress or park expansion. Clubs that manage to accumulate enough wealth to buy their fields rely on one or two key members to retain the field and when those members become aged then decay sets in. Clubs that can should help those that can't - maybe the AMA can help with that.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:19 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Hang in there buddy. Back in my 20's I weigh as much as 285. In the 1990's I was usually in the 230's. In the 2000's I have gotten down to 178. Last week I was 189 this week 195. I have to do some starving and working out. I have probibly lost over 200 lbs in my life it is a never ending battle.

Thanks, I'm hanging in there but with the holidays it will be a tough period. If I can maintain 215 I'll be happy. To maintain that weight I'll have to go a couple pounds below it. Lol.

Here is a picture for the older pilots here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2246181  
Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Thanks, I'm hanging in there but with the holidays it will be a tough period. If I can maintain 215 I'll be happy. To maintain that weight I'll have to go a couple pounds below it. Lol.

Here is a picture for the older pilots here.
A few years back I was diagnosed with cancer in my neck. There was no chance of surgery so I was treated with a potent dose of Chemo and then maxed out on radiation. After the treatments I had great difficulty swallowing and went from 230 down to about 160 pounds. Docs were concerned and nutritionist was too. They prescribed the supplements but I couldn't swallow them either especially anything with chocolate. I finally found that I could work down a Yahoo then eventually a salad but all this took more than 6 months before I could handle solid food. So the moral is - just don't eat. Start your weight loss attempts by cutting your food portions down to 25% of what you are accustomed to. I still cut my sandwiches in half and throw away half my fries. with the aid of a dietitian plan your caloric intake and stick to it.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Trying to lose weight is and on going thing with me I have cut back on everything but still gain.

ETPILOT
Those calculators bring back a lot of memories, but I don't think I will ever use one again my full scale flying is over.

I had a realty agent survey my land we are seriously considering leaving here, I am surrounded by commercial operations so that is how this will probably sell, our problem is we have no idea where to go.
no matter where we go it will be our last move. and down sizing will be paramount.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:05 PM
ETpilot

Gmeyers, sorry to hear about the physical problem you have had. I wish you the best. I have a plan similar to what you describe. Eat less, watch what I eat and do more physical work. So far it has been working. Today I weighed in at 213. I should meet my goal of 210 by the end of the week. I just have to keep this routine up. Which is pretty hard as many can attest to. Then I'll set a new goal. My plan is to get to 195. Then fluctuate between 195 and 200. It is hard work getting there.

Donny I wish you good luck. I'm in East Texas for the duration. A friend and I have spoken about moving. We, like you, just don't see a good place to go. Whatever decision you make, study the tax picture and how it would affect you. I just can't see paying a state income tax. So that limits me to 5 states. I've already lived in Florida. So Texas is it for me. I'm in the country here. So I don't think commercial ventures will get to me in my lifetime.

Regarding full scale flying, I never planned to fly again. I needed a new physical and just didn't want to go the FAA route again. So I gave up flying. Then the issue of physicals by your local doctor came up. It looked promising but the recommended airplane requirements and type of flying excluded me. So I gave up on that idea.

Then a few months ago I was searching for something and, accidently, discovered that local doctor physicals had been approved. Additionally, that it now included higher performance airplanes. So I was in again. I've passed my BasicMed physical and the online course and exam. So all I need now is a flight review with an instructor and I'm back flying. This gives me a 4 year window. I'll fly my plane for a bit longer then sell it and be out for good.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

To return to aeromodelling matters, I took my latest oeuvre to the flying field yesterday. It's a "Baron 1914," as iconic a trainer in France as the Kadett Senior in the USA or the Super Sixty in Great Britain. It is finished in spoof Russian WW1 colours and I have reduced the dihedral and fitted ailerons. I'd hoped to maiden it yesterday but first the engine, an OS 40 FS Surpass, threw a prop and then it refused to run consistently. It was too cold to mess about with it so I am waiting for warmer weather before investigating further, probably in my back garden!

I have tried to upload a picture to this site without success. I suspect that the pictures are too big. I have recently changed from a Windows XP computer to a good second-hand Windows 8 computer.

Do any of you computer literate gentlemen know how to reduce the size of pictures using a Windows 8?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:09 AM
ETpilot

I saw a picture of your Baron 1914 on another site. Beautiful!

I loved my Windows XP laptop I had. It crashed a few years back and I was without a computer. Just used my old iPad which is now giving me problems, needs to be replaced. I, recently, acquired an old Windows 7 computer upgraded to Windows 10. I'm learning how to use it.

Your photo resizing question is a good one. I, too, needed to know the answer. So I searched. Here is how to do it:

Open Windows paint. Import the picture you want to resize. Resize the picture and save to your pictures file. I did this with one of my pictures and it worked. Smaller file size. I'm not well versed in computers. Someone may offer a better option. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I have tried to upload a picture to this site without success. I suspect that the pictures are too big. I have recently changed from a Windows XP computer to a good second-hand Windows 8 computer. Do any of you computer literate gentlemen know how to reduce the size of pictures using a Windows 8?
A free photo editing program is Gimp. It is open sourced, a free download. Click on the Windows link on this page to download.

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

To get it uploadable, I click on "Image", "Scale Image" tabs. Reduce to 1,024 pixels wide (or high if vertical shot). Then "File", "Export as". I use a ".jpg" extension to export it as that. Usually, default compression will lower content size sufficiently to upload to RCU or RCG.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 AM
donnyman

I haven't used windows for quite sometime now, It was constantly breaking down and I had to reinstall it several times in one year. my son introduced me to "UBUNTU" a Linux based OP. system and all the problems went away.
Over the holidays I installed A one terrabyte hard file so it is now my primary and upgraded the software, I am most pleased. There is of course a learning curve but I did not find it difficult at all.

ETpilot
you made some good points about moving, we are truly undecided but we will have to get on the ball, we had a Realtor look at our place and she is doing research as to it value. there is a lot of beautiful places here in Texas so I am not sure what we'll do.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Donny, it seems after a certain age downsizing becomes natural, we have been doing so the last couple of years. I think the most important think to consider in a new place is to get something with as little maintenance required as possible. It seems the old you get the harder it is to do some of the stuff you did without a second thought or you just get tired of the whole mishegoss and don't want to mess with it.

Mike
Old 11-27-2017, 06:15 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Donny, it seems after a certain age downsizing becomes natural, we have been doing so the last couple of years. I think the most important think to consider in a new place is to get something with as little maintenance required as possible. It seems the old you get the harder it is to do some of the stuff you did without a second thought or you just get tired of the whole mishegoss and don't want to mess with it.

Mike
Ya got that right!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 AM
GallopingGhostler

Have Unbuntu Light (Lubuntu) installed on all my computers. It is Ubuntu with the LXDE desktop (menu resembles Windows 98, which BTW was easier to use). It has given me far fewer problems than Windows.

Recently I bought a new Lenovo N22 11.5" netbook. It came with 4gb RAM, decent sized 64gb solid state hard disk and WIndows 10. For one, I tried to back up the OS software onto a portable USB DVD writer. Their backup program was very slow, took over an hour to write one 4gb dvd disk. The program is so basic that it doesn't tell you how many disks are required, nor how long it will take. I clicked on the wrong action button after doing several dvd's, which required me to start over from the beginning. There are no safety questions to ask you if you really want to exit. After wasting a couple days and over 8 ruined wasted dvd's, I let it write the backup to a micro-SD card. It took a whole afternoon to write a backup file, final size 25gb. Apparently it backed up everything included the bundled office suite and others, which can be unlocked once you fork over additional cash over half the cost of the netbook.

Apparently the backup has no capability to compress files, and it must be written in a higher level language like visual basic to be such a slug, and must have been included as an afterthought.

To make a long story short, after using WIn10 for a couple months, I didn't like it. It's user interface is odd, administrative tasks aren't straight forward; it's a money hole, to do anything besides browse the net required purchasing additional software, plus it is sluggish.

I wiped the HD clean, now it runs Lubuntu. It starts up and shuts down quick. LibreOffice suite is free and does all I want, and I can play all my media including mp3's and dvds. Now I have decent portable PC.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 11-27-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
To return to aeromodelling matters, I took my latest oeuvre to the flying field yesterday. It's a "Baron 1914," as iconic a trainer in France as the Kadett Senior in the USA or the Super Sixty in Great Britain. It is finished in spoof Russian WW1 colours and I have reduced the dihedral and fitted ailerons. I'd hoped to maiden it yesterday but first the engine, an OS 40 FS Surpass, threw a prop and then it refused to run consistently. It was too cold to mess about with it so I am waiting for warmer weather before investigating further, probably in my back garden!

I have tried to upload a picture to this site without success. I suspect that the pictures are too big. I have recently changed from a Windows XP computer to a good second-hand Windows 8 computer.

Do any of you computer literate gentlemen know how to reduce the size of pictures using a Windows 8?
If you are able to upload the picture to another site, just open the image, right click on it, copy url location and you can paste it into the image form next to the smily face. I do that with facebook images.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Thank you acdii, let's try it.

Well that worked.!

Gentlemen I've had one of those days.

I'd planned to do lots of things but got distracted first thing by reading James Joyce's "Dubliners." In the afternoon I resolved to drive down to the bottle bank and the post office to send a Senior Telemaster Barn Door Wing plan to an English cognoscenti. After that I'd planned to drive over to Bonnat to pay my local tax and to visit the supermarket there where you can buy English tea and marmalade. The van, a 1998 Volkswagen LT28 struggled to start but started and I drove the five kilometres to the post office and nearby bottle bank. After having posted the plan I got into the van and turned the key. Nothing! I would have phoned my pal Roger Aubard but I'd left my mobile phone behind! Now near the post office is a charity shop run by local women who are all volunteers and the salt of the earth. This enterprise is only about a year old but now has three shops: one sells clothes, another sells furniture and the third sells cutlery, china and bric a brac. The lady in charge of the furniture section is called Marie. She has been widowed for nine years and I have been divorced for twenty but dare I say this, there seems to be some chemistry between us! I explained the situation and we tried to phone Roger using the shop's phone without success, so Marie drove me home and I was able to phone him from my house.

He turned up with some jump leads but still nothing. I then used my mobile phone, doubtless at great expense, to phone my best mate in England who is a professional mechanic. He suggested checking the earth, even running one of the jump leads from the battery's earth to engine block. Still nothing so apparently it's the starter motor. Roger phoned up a local mechanic and he'll have a look at it tomorrow. The only problem is that the starter motor is not easily accessible on the LT28.

Thankfully I'm not short of money so we should be able to get it going soon. There were periods in my life when I could not have afforded the mechanic's fees nor the price of a starter motor but let's hope those days are firmly in the past. My 1999 Triumph Sprint ST motor cycle is roadworthy so I'll be riding around on that while the van is fixed.

Perhaps I ought to reward Marie with an invitation to dinner for her kindness.

PS. It's wonderful what a good pork chop with sauteed potatoes, fried onions, runner beans and mushrooms all washed down by a good 2014 Bordeaux can do for flagging spirits.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 11-27-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM
ETpilot

Don't target the starter as faulty right from the start. Many starters have been replaced without fixing the problem. Start with the battery. Do a load test. Then there is the ignition switch, wiring, relays, fuses and dirty connections. Make sure your mechanic is good with automotive electrical systems. A direct connection to the starter can easily eliminate it or identify it as the problem.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

It's been a while...e-mail service has been wonky - am catching up.

After moving, I've found most of the tools for building, covering, etc. However, I cannot
find the Sig Mfg 2, 3, and 4 foot aluminum straight edges. I called them earlier this
morning - no longer made... if I managed to toss them during the move, all are invited
to punch me :-)

Bob
p.s.Tele, love the model, Marie sounds like a good catch!
p.p.s. I never get subscribed forum e-mails...have looked at settings, etc. Must have missed something.

Last edited by Flicker; 11-30-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typos/need information.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
lemme guess, FAA?

Locks only keep out the honest, rules only are followed by the lawful.
I recall an ad on television from the late '60s-early '70s. A teenage boy walks up to a car, sees the key in the ignition switch, and the announcer says "don't let a good boy go bad." Well hell, if he was good he wouldn't steal the car.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Flicker
Hi all,

It's been a while...e-mail service has been wonky - am catching up.

After moving, I've found most of the tools for building, covering, etc. However, I cannot
find the Sig Mfg 2, 3, and 4 foot aluminum straight edges. I called them earlier this
morning - no longer made... if I managed to toss them during the move, all are invited
to punch me :-)

Bob
p.s.Tele, love the model, Marie sounds like a good catch!
p.p.s. I never get subscribed forum e-mails...have looked at settings, etc. Must have missed something.
Here are some possible replacements:

SuperiorBilt 6 Piece Box Screed Set. Contractors Direct

Veritas® Aluminum Straightedges - Lee Valley Tools
Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 AM
GallopingGhostler

Regarding straight edges, one might want to check their local home improvement center. Sections of aluminum bars, channels, etc. can be had for a reasonable price. Sight down the edge and purchase the one that is straightest at the length wanted.

Oh, and BTW, standard facility construction quality is 0.25" per 8 foot, which suits my standards.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ETpilot;12386344]Thanks, I'm hanging in there but with the holidays it will be a tough period. If I can maintain 215 I'll be happy. To maintain that weight I'll have to go a couple pounds below it. Lol.

Here is a picture for the older pilots here.[/QUOTE

]

I recall owning one of those nav 'computers' back in the early 70's, second from the left, lower row. With that, the Cessna 172 was overweight before it left the ground.

There wouldn't be too many pilots who don't carry one even now, the compact plastic version, and use it most flying days, even if they're flying a 747 or 380.

Last edited by Semi Retired Aviator; 11-30-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.