Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just in " Harbor Freight " today and I think I saw some long alum measuring sticks . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In 1964 when I took my private pilots written they had just started to let us use the E6B computer. There was a roll of masking paper in the test room and they had been making the test takers draw wind triangles using there plotters. And do all computations on paper.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:37 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=Semi Retired Aviator;12387476]
Originally Posted by ETpilot
Thanks, I'm hanging in there but with the holidays it will be a tough period. If I can maintain 215 I'll be happy. To maintain that weight I'll have to go a couple pounds below it. Lol.

Here is a picture for the older pilots here.[/QUOTE

]

I recall owning one of those nav 'computers' back in the early 70's, second from the left, lower row. With that, the Cessna 172 was overweight before it left the ground.

There wouldn't be too many pilots who don't carry one even now, the compact plastic version, and use it most flying days, even if they're flying a 747 or 380.

I always carry the mini nav computer and the handheld calculator. I was flying home from the Oshkosh Fly-In many years ago. After my fuel stop I lost my alternator. I had to shut down all electrics. So I flew home using dead reckoning and pilotage, about 400 miles. About 20 miles from home I lost the last of the battery. I had to pump down my landing gear. First and only time I've had to pump down the gear.

Short 172 story. Not a fast airplane. I was IFR at night over Alabama. ATC gives me a reduce speed instruction. I'm barely flying and they wanted me to go slower. I hear you about the weight carrying ability of the 172. Lol.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:33 PM
ETpilot

Today was a spring like day in Texas. So I did some spring cleaning. My shop is way crowded with things. Yesterday I started separating metal to sell at the recycle site. I finished the work today. Separated aluminum, copper, brass and steel. Loaded on my trailer which already has a load of metal. Will sell it all this coming week. Then I cleaned up my old burn pile and set afire the last to be burned. I'm relocating my burn area farther from the house and closer to water. I also set afire a large tree stump that has been an eye sore for a long time. Just letting it burn.

While wood burned, I set about cutting some old mower blades I was storing. I cut them and use them as weight during model building. It has worked real well for me. While I was doing that I found some pipe and rod which I cut to size. I will use them as my anchor rods for a tail trap I made. Should work well. Finally I moved more firewood to the firewood rack by the house. While it has been mild, colder weather will move in next week. So the wood burning stove will be doing extra duty.

All finished and I had extra time. So I moved a small door, I found in Florida and brought to Texas, from the storage building to the workshop. Perfect for drawing up plans or even building an airplane. I set it up in the shop so I can start drawing lines. Time to start building something. Yes a good work day. It keep me fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2246711  
Old 12-02-2017, 04:24 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I got ambitious, Went in my trailer and shot some fogger in my engines that I ran this year, threw the charger on the battery and disconnected the trailer from it. Will move it to it's winter spot tomorrow. Also found I caught two of those damned mice finally, Glue traps in just the right spots. Take that you coffee snatching little furballs. Cleaned up part of my one work bench. I need to get a 50" or so long flat plastic storage bin to put my balsa in to keep it dry and flat. Have it all on a shelf now, and it is getting dirty from the dust and dryer lint that somehow manages to get into my workshop. That was the extent of my ambition. Internet was down most of the day, so no Netflix to work by or would have finished the covering of the 4*60.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 AM
ETpilot

Mice have been a nemesis of mine. I just rewired the instrument panel on my tractor. Third time they have gotten in there and chewed on the wiring. A real pain. Storing balsa has been a big problem for me. I have a plan for storage that I need to build. It will be part 4 in the balsa storage saga. I checked my burning tree stump this morning. It is down to 1/3rd and still burning. I removed the ash so it could get more air. Hopefully it will be down to the ground today.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 AM
acdii

My Collie caught another mouse this morning and dropped it on my wife's foot as she came in. We still don't know if the dog is actually catching it, or if the cat does and the dog scoops it up. We found a live one in her mouth one night.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:22 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It was pretty nice here in Lincoln, Ne. yesterday as well. I put the bag on the mower and bagged 18 lawn bags worth of leaves. I still have some to do today. Should be around 60 degrees today. Then I'll load my trailer with the first load of leaves and take them to the landfill tomorrow. Come home and get the second load. Then rearrange the shed so the snowblower is facing the door. 30's are predicted for Tuesday and following. Gotta get this done now.
I also replaced the outside light fixture on the south side of the house.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:25 AM
acdii

That reminds me, need to get a PVC pipe to run an extension cord through to protect it from horses so I can put the heater in their water trough.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Joe Fisher

The mice will destroy the rib lacing in a Cub wing. What works for me I get no pest strips,you put them in small uninhabited enclosures to fumigate bugs and mice. They are plastic strips about 6"X2" and smell really bad. I safety wire one to to an inspection cover in each wing about every 6 months. Keeps out the mud dobbers too.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM
ETpilot

A dead mouse is a good mouse. Joe I will have to try those No Pest Strips. I can place then over the fuel tank and just in front of the instrument panel on the tractor. I've been giving dryer sheets a try. Too early to tell if they work.

My idea of using pipe on my tail trap failed. The pipe I have is stainless steel. So I went with plan “B”. I welded tabs on the sides. Should work ok. On this trap I can lower one upright or both. They lower inward for transport. I need to try it out then paint and redo the pool noodle.

My tree stump has been burning all day. I added accelerant a few times. It is very hard wood and burning slower than I expected. Rain may kill the burn tomorrow. If it does, when it dries, I will cut it lower with the chainsaw. Then set it on fire again.

I'm glad I am not in the snow belt. We get an occasional snowfall. I've had my fair share of snow. The problem here is that most do not know how to drive on snow and ice. It creates some interesting situations.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2246789  
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
My Collie caught another mouse this morning and dropped it on my wife's foot as she came in. We still don't know if the dog is actually catching it, or if the cat does and the dog scoops it up. We found a live one in her mouth one night.
My father, who grew up on a farm used to tell us that a dog makes a better mouser than a cat.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Joe Fisher

Cats can and do go places a dog can't.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

My brother's rat terrier Tinker Bell is a great mouser too! She kills just about any pest, mice, gophers, snakes, squirrels, etc. He thinks she likes to hunt and kill. When he and the wife bought new place up In Ponca City with horse barns it came with a barn cat unfortunately Tinker did it in. I guess she didn't want the hunting competition.

Saw an Airopult tail trap for sale on another site, same on Hobby King carries, it has two rails with adjustable stops coming out in a "V" to hold the wheels so you can push against it to start the engine. I was looking it over to see if I couldn't modify my current tail trap to add the stops and rails.

RC Airogrip SL - Airopult
Old 12-04-2017, 07:18 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It appears we are all in the same situation, I got rid of a large pile of metal and it paid ok at the salvage yard, I was able to give my helper some cash. Now I have a lot of corrugated metal that I won't need so it will be sold and I should recover my cost, I decide to disassemble my RV building and will sell all the wood. I have to clean this place up because I am considering selling my estate.

The grass has been cut and the RATS? mice are all over the place but most are dead or dying and I throw then outside for the buzzards, plus I have mouse bait all over the place, to help keep them out of the house and my cars.
I can't believe how much junk has accumulated over the years and it is going to take quite some time to get rid of it. The realtors are eager to put my place on sale but I have no where to go and can't make up my mind as to where to move.

And yes I think dogs do a better job of killing mice, We had a mutt that killed mice everyday and left them all over the place The cats rarely killed mice, just played with them. I don't have any animals now so I am on my own.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 PM
ETpilot

Junk!! Junk!! Donny I'm sure you mean treasured items that have lost their usefulness. I have quite a few of those items myself.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Novice_builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q-tee

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2247107Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2247108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2247109Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2247110Hi
I have nearly finished my first plane a q-tee from the 70's. Got plans of internet, converted it to electric, added 25mm to nose, added covers to battery and servo compartments...... I have no idea ho to fly it. I have a dx6I control.
Any advice welcome.
Andrew
Old 12-07-2017, 07:28 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Novice_builder
Attachment 2247107Attachment 2247108Attachment 2247109Attachment 2247110Hi
I have nearly finished my first plane a q-tee from the 70's. Got plans of internet, converted it to electric, added 25mm to nose, added covers to battery and servo compartments...... I have no idea ho to fly it. I have a dx6I control.
Any advice welcome.
Andrew
Typically you would ask an experienced rc er to check it out for proper control linkages, warps or twists, control throws, and once satisfied he should put it in the air to check trims and flying characteristics. Then with the guidance of an experienced flyer and with the plane two mistakes high in altitude he should hand you control of the airplane. There are a few things you will need to know about your first flight which he can tell you. If you make a terrible mistake the 'two mistakes high' will allow him to take control and save the plane.GOOD LUCK
Old 12-07-2017, 07:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great looking plane Andrew!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Attachment 2247107Attachment 2247108Attachment 2247109Attachment 2247110Hi - I have nearly finished my first plane a q-tee from the 70's. Got plans of internet, converted it to electric, added 25mm to nose, added covers to battery and servo compartments...... I have no idea ho to fly it. I have a dx6I control. Any advice welcome. Andrew

Looks great! Get some help from an experienced modeler, check with your local hobby shops who might know some clubs. Once you're flying, give a flight report! Just don't do like I and Figure-9 it! (My 1979 Q-Tee rebuilt and crashed again! ) But if you do, the Q-Tee if flown over tall grass is reasonably sturdy. I flew mine when winds got up to 25 mph and gusty, put it into the ground before I was going to lose it, but I came down hard, close to vertical.

Name:	Q-Tee Completed.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	2247111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-Tee Prior to Flight.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2247112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Q-Tee Crashed.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	2247113  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 12-07-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

The nice thing about building an airplane you understand how it went together and you can rebuild it when stuff happens!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:58 AM
acdii

Another nice thing about building is that you can repair a plane you didn't build. ARF ARF ARF
Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Flicker

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

See below...

Last edited by Flicker; 12-18-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Flicker

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I think I have a better idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIh15oEjr20
Joe,
I'd go along with those proposals.
Bob
Old 12-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Attachment 2247107Attachment 2247108Attachment 2247109Attachment 2247110Hi
Any advice welcome.
Andrew
Hi Andrew

You've done a fine job on your first model!

As others have advised get an experienced modeller to fly the model for you at first to check that everything is ok. You could then fly the model on a "Buddy box," a system whereby the instructor and pupil's transmitters are linked by a cable so that the instructor can regain control if the novice gets into difficulties. This is less wasteful on models than the "Grab-The-Transmitter" method with which I was taught! You do not necessarily have to use a genuine Spektrum cable, any cable with an ordinary (mono) mini jackplug on each end will do and these cables are readily available in electronic components shops. With the Spektrum Dx6i you can also link your transmitter wirelessly to most of the rest of the Spektrum transmitter range.

I strongly recommend that you join a club. The club's fees will include third party insurance which could be useful if you were to hit anything with your model, besides you will make lots of new friends with a similar interest.

I noticed the small Union Flag on the fuselage. Does this mean that you are British? If so the following will help you find your nearest club. Best of luck! https://bmfa.org/Clubs/Find-a-Club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.