The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am pleased to see my last post showed, my system is real slow for some reason and downloading is a pain.................here is a pic.................. the forward piece on the fairing is mommas foil the top of the fuse is flight metal.
It is my intent to clearcoat over the metal which will seal it in place (I hope) that will fuel proof it.

I have used the heat and wood glue technique and it works well but I haven't tried it on the foil......Yet!
jwrich.......I used REFRIG. tape several times but for the most part it isn't wide enough, it works very well. this is a quarter scale bird also, your pup is beautiful!

ETPILOT............the last two pics are for you the first is the fuse replacement shortly after the second pic was taken maybe ten+ years ago it's hanging on the ceiling now, I got three of um!

For some reason my system has picked up a lot of speed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0754.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2254504   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0759.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2254505   Click image for larger version

Name:	projects 001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	776.0 KB
ID:	2254514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kaos 2 an me.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	2254515  
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Donny, its hard to argue when something works. A good clear coat should seal the seems so I would think that would protect it from fuel. That orange job is almost as hansom as the guy holding it!

Mike
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher View Post
Just watched the Space X launch fun fun fun.
I meant to respond days ago but.................................... I was awed by the spacex launch, but what sent me over the edge was the dual landing of the boosters, the main rocket missed it's landing by three hundred feet because three of it's engines failed, not bad for a busted rocket. just like in the old time movies, it looks like the future we used to dream about has arrived and I for one am tickled out of my mind over it. now, how does one get a ride? or should I say how do I pay for it.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:21 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
That orange job is almost as hansom as the guy holding it!

Mike
Forever blowing smoke up the old ...
Old 02-13-2018, 02:54 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a kick out of the Tesla. The screen said Dont Panic. I sure hope he put a towel in the car too!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Forever blowing smoke up the old ...
Us old fat guys need to stick together bro!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen I was fortunate enough to acquire an Enya 19 X Model No 4101 at a swap meet at Chateauroux on Sunday. Five of us crowded into a Dacia for the 50km (30 mile) journey. I paid 10€ for it which is $12.25US or 8.86 Sterling. It's a bit grubby but it turns and the carburetter opens and closes. However, the air bleed screw is missing and there is no O ring under the carburetter. I screwed an ordinary M2 bolt into the air bleed hole and lacking a suitable spring I secured it in place with an off-cut of fuel tubing.

By Monday all of the snow had melted and it was a nice sunny day so rather than doing anything more important I set up the Enya in the test stand and got it to run. The slow running was a bit erratic but with a little more time and an O ring I will be able to get it to run well.

I also ran up an HB 20 and an Irvine 20. The HB I bought as spare parts on eBay together with a complete Webra 40 for next to nothing. No-one wants two-stroke glows these days! The carburettor lacked its fuel nipple but I found one amongst my souvenirs. It was a bit small so I epoxied it in place. Again the HB ran well at high speed but it needs a little more adjustment to get the slow running reliable. The Irvine, fitted with a new aftermarket carburetter ran best of all. Must build a suitable model for one of these little engines one day.

It's dawn here as I type this and the snow returned yesterday afternoon and settled overnight. The road outside my house is pretty slippery. I've just watched the kid from the local restaurant ride off to college on his two-stroke trail bike. He got it all crossed up on the bend but he held it. We all had to learn didn't we? If he skids on the return trip there is a ready made gap in my hedge for him to ride through!

Picture of the Enya attached.

Name:	Enya 19 small.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	2254621  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 02-13-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:25 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Donny, nice looking Kaos. I never had a Kaos years ago. So I'm building this freestyle Kaos. I call it my Somewhat Kaos. I hope it somewhat looks like a Kaos. Lol. I'm following the Killer Kaos look. Here I taped and clamped it together to see how it may look. Forecast for a rainy week ahead so hopefully I can get it to the covering stage then put it on hold until later.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2254655  
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Outerzone has plans for 7 versions / sizes of Kaos by Joe Bridi, just did a search. Framing on your Sort-of-Kaos looks lightweight, should fly well, ETpilot.

Nice find on the 19-X, Telemaster, I've used automotive RTV for missing gaskets, works like a charm.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rtv?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 AM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RTV = high temperature silicone adhesive sealant, sometimes called gasket maker.

Examples:

Autozone.com RTV Adhesives
Old 02-14-2018, 05:56 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G ghostler ....you win the kewpie doll, RTV is a absolute winner for gaskets.. I bought a old beat up hp-40 something or other it wouldn't run very well, only at high rpm and no idle, just a mess I figured I had nothing to lose so I took it apart and coated all mating surfaces with RTV the orange stuff (high temp) even the base of the carb and needle threads. well it ran like a striped a.. ape, and idled so slow it scared me. try it you'll love it.
RTV= room temperature vulcanate. red or orange is high temp, the black is used to seal transmissions on cars etc.

I have used it on beat up gaskets and on cylinder heads all winners.........great stuff!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:00 PM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Talking

I got a 2nd 1966 OS Max 10R/C for a song from E-Bay. Only thing is the gaskets were shot. I cleaned it up in antifreeze mix in my Poly Perk coffee percolator. (Once heats to boil, then switches to warm, in crock pot temperature range, works great.) I used Permatex Ultra Gray RTV, which is also used on automotive transmission cases, because it can seal even though spread very thin. Just like you say, Donny, it fired up like it was a new engine. Also used it on my Testors McCoy .35 Red Head.

Speaking of using new technology with old, I was lacking a decent needle valve for my McCoy. I found an Evolution .46 rear needle valve assembly works perfectly, bolt spacing matches the McCoy backplate screw spacing, love the fine adjustment it gives. Screws are more common ANSI 4-40 thread, just replaced the factory screws with longer ones trimmed by the bolt cutter on my father's old Champion crimper tool (made in US, excellent tool steel, not like the cheap knock-offs today). Needle valve is a 2-56 thread, I used a short bolt on the other side of the spray bar to blank off where needle used to be. Here, I have it mounted on my 42" (1067mm) wingspan 1950 Sterling Kit S-1 Ringmaster.

Name:	Evo46 RNVA.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2254726   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35RH No2 w-RNVA.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2254727   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35RH No2 w-RNVA Running.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2254728   Click image for larger version

Name:	McCoy35 Silver Head Rt.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2254730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ringmaster w-McCoy35 Mod.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2254731  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 02-14-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a great idea on the needle valve.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The swapmeet in garden ridge Texas is over and was rather nice though hindered by the threat of the tax man possibly showing up. Several people had things to sell but decide not to be bothered with being bugged with petty tax problems.

I didn't bring anything to sell and purchased little, just a few items to help my scale building. All good deals. and the kitchen cooks did a good job though a little expensive.
The downside of the event was not being able to park over night at the event site parking lot.

Name:	1 garden ridge swap meet 2018 .JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2255071   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 garden ridge 2018 .JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2255072  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The annual one we went to was moved from its location of the past 30 years to further north, about a 2 hour drive, and the date changed, so guess who didn't go. Got my first Saito and OS motors there. Haven't been to a swap meet since Toledo last year.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A nice selection of small kits there Donny for those who are interested.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:42 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Swapmeets is sort of a happy habit for me, not so much to get or sell but a great place to mingle with people of similar interest. the goodies on the tables is just icing on the cake.

The small model kits were the lower end of the spectrum, the goodies ran the full gamet up to a fully functioning turbine powered F-86e and unlimlited supplies of acessories, just about everything one could want, I picked up a set of air powered robart retract landing gear for ten bucks they look brand new. my surprise purchase was honeycomb material of three different sizes something I have been after for years.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-20-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That reminds me, I still have a 60 size set of rotating Robarts I picked up a few year back for a Corsair, but have CJ retracts in it instead. Looks like I need to find a Skyraider or P-40 kit to use them in. I wonder if they work in a Pica P-40.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:35 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The local model railroad club had their annual train show this weekend. I only spent $52 including admission. I agree that just mingling with people of like interests is half the fun.
The local RC club has an annual auction every year, but I don't know of any RC swap meets in the area. It would be fun (and probably expensive ) to go to some.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Over the weekend of 3rd-4th March we are organising an exhibition of models at a local community centre. I'll take some pictures. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204462308274664&set=gm.2046130492329629&type=3&ifg=1
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Back to the comment about sealing edges on covering . Years ago I used clear finger nail polish on all the edges to seal them . Don't remember any problems and one plane is still hanging on the wall . To lazy to get it in the air . ENJOY RED
Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
That reminds me, I still have a 60 size set of rotating Robarts I picked up a few year back for a Corsair, but have CJ retracts in it instead. Looks like I need to find a Skyraider or P-40 kit to use them in. I wonder if they work in a Pica P-40.
I can remember selling two built up Royal corsairs because I could not find any retracts for them, my wife was disappointed and wanted me to wait, it took a few years before reracts became available again and now I have more than I can use. I am considering a ziroli corsair build, but I have several other kits too. I won't start a build unless I have the gear and engine ready to go, everyting else is relativey easy to get. (cost)

Some guy had a radial engine (MOKI) for sale that would have been prime for the corsair but 1500 bucks I did not have on me.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have a swap meet coming up in March but I don't know how it will work. They loss the church they use to hold it at so a local hobby shop has offered to host but its pretty small by comparison. I have heard complaints of slow sales about the last few swap meets this club has held so it could be a dud. I haven't decided if I will go it is on the total opposite side of town and I question it being work the travel.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

About twenty years ago I lived in Devon in the south-west of England. Exeter is the county town of Devon. At the end of every flying season, usually in November, the Exeter Club used to hire a a school all day on a Sunday and hold an auction. A caterer was in attendence so it was a good day out. I bought and sold quite a bit at the time. There were usually about 400 lots. The club stopped doing this when the school increased its prices.

The psychology of auctions was quite interesting. If you wanted to sell and your item was listed in the first say twenty items for sale, prices were not that high because people had not yet got into the swing of things. On the other hand if your item was listed in the last twenty items, prices were not high because everybody had spent all of their money by then! Happy days!

PS. When was the last time any of you gentlemen went flying? This question does not apply to Southern Hemisphere residents! In my case it was before Christmas. Since then I have either been in England, or it's been too wet and/or windy and/or cold to fly, or there has been snow on the ground, or I have had other committments like attending a funeral. I have two new and one restored model just waiting to be maidened in my cellar.

It's really frustrating!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy