Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a 42" Magnavox LCD that has a nice picture, or did until the backlight went out. Someday I may dig into it and see if I can repair the board, but to replace it costs more than a higher def TV of the same or larger size.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Have you checked the backlight bulbs or LED inverter strips? They are replaceable in most LCD TVs for less than $80.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How many remember the tube testers in the drug stores ? In fact how many remember tubes ? My friend that is my age and very computer savvy asked me the other day, What do tubes do ?
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM
FlyerInOKC

Face it all of do Joe!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
How many remember the tube testers in the drug stores ? In fact how many remember tubes ? My friend that is my age and very computer savvy asked me the other day, What do tubes do ?
I remember back in the early 1970's, that I could still purchase a 1.5V large EverReady battery for starting glow engines at the drugstore. They also sold the 45V photoflash and "B+" batteries, too. Then I had a portable flash unit for my 2-1/4" twin lens reflex camera for flash bulbs (M3B and a smaller one also) that used that 45V battery. Battery looked like the 9V transistor battery, except it was about 1/4" longer.

I accompanied my father in the 1960's, testing tubes from our TV and radios, buying tubes that tested bad. My Graymark 511 AM and shortwave band regenerative kit radio used a 35W4 rectifier, 12AT7 twin Mu triode for 1st stage RF and audio amplification (although one could substitute 12AU7, 12AV7, 12AX7 for same results), and 50C5 pentode for audio amplifier to drive a 4" speaker through a step down audio transformer. Had a 40' long wire dipole antenna over the house roof to provide reception, 5 different plug in RF coils to change bands.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
They don't call us the peanut gallery for nothing you know!

What brand of TV was it and where did you find the parts?
It's a Samsung 45" flat screen the parts were from FRY'S about 10 bucks. less than and hours soldering and it worked perfectly. just like this computer after I did all the updates and a new wifi card with remote antenna's seem to be a lot more stable now.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 PM
acdii

My internet went to Poop today, seems to be somewhat back. I remember those 45v batteries, just don't remember what I used them for. I also remember testing and repairing Tube radio and TV. You guys remember NRI Home study courses? I started that back in the 80's to become a TV and VCR Repairman. Glad I never pursued it very far, not many TV's or VCRs left to repair to make a career out of it.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by acdii
I have a 42" Magnavox LCD that has a nice picture, or did until the backlight went out. Someday I may dig into it and see if I can repair the board, but to replace it costs more than a higher def TV of the same or larger size.
If repair gets into more than it is worth, I was checking for example Walmart in stock prices, for $298 they have a Sanyo 50" Class 2K (1080P) LED TV (FW50D36F) for $298 and VIZIO 43" Class FHD (1080P) LED TV (D43n-E4) for $248, both on specials plus tax. Visio is also well known for their computer monitors.

A friend asked me to look at their 43" TV that got zapped by static electricity, wife went to turn it off, a blue bolt of static shot from her hand to off switch, didn't come on after. I looked at the motherboard, fuses were good. Board didn't even boot up, no POST, DOA. Was already 4 or 5 years old, they went to Sam's Club or Cosco and got another better one for a couple hundred bucks. Unless one works at a major warranty service center, the day of the neighborhood TV repairman are long gone.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Makes sense, he's so ugly when he was a kid they had to tie a porkchop around his neck to get the dog to play with him!
The last time I saw a head like that, it was in a lettuce patch! (Who are we talking about, anyway? )
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM
donnyman

We will have to yield to the wave of technology that is overtaking us and the ways we have become accustomed too living is changing.

acdii
I remember those courses and hadn't thought how advancements affected that portion of society. like NRI, Radioshack, Heathkit, are gone with fewer component manufacturers. Look at the changes in the space industries we now have five? rocket companies? building better rockets than NASA. All facets of our society are being impacted to a point that it is not recognizable. Repairs are almost obsolete and the parts to make repairs are not available. just throw it away and get another. Radical changes are in the wind and if we can't be flexible enough to bend in the breeze we will be uprooted and left to rot. You know how fast things move in the computer industry, which is a major player in the change of society, and they become obsolete in less than a month just sitting on the store shelf.

Even our models have, and are evolving from balsa to plastic, the radio's are far superior to last years and can be upgrade by J.Q. PUBLIC. and cheaper to buy!

The TV got repaired today but I for see the day that will be Too expensive.......... If the parts can be found.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-09-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I know what you mean Donny.

When I bought this house the owners left behind a 1987/8 Peugeot 205. It had not run for three years. This is a very popular little car in the poorer areas of France because they are very simple,reliable and economical little runabouts. A tidy 205 with two years "Contolle Technique" can command over 1000€ ($1232 US). There is no structural rust, all the brakes and lights work and the engine starts and runs "at a quarter of a turn," as the French say, so I thought I'd have a go at getting it roadworthy. It is quite a hi-spec little car with velour seats, power steering and electric windows. However, there are some obvious faults which will need rectifying before it passes a "Controlle Technique." Chief among which is a defective universal joint at the end of the steering column.

Can I buy a universal joint? Well, Americans are very sensitive to industrial language so I'll just say that so far this has proved to be impossible! I can buy a reconditioned steering column but so far none of the parts on offer correspond to the part number I have been given. Having said that, the steering colums are not that expensive but I'd prefer to order the correct component from the start!

It's very frustrating!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have my Dad's old Simpson meter, a big sucker it uses a baterry shaped like a 9V but with the contacts at each end like 1.5V battery. It is marked 11V God knows where I would find one.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:07 PM
GallopingGhostler

I have my Dad's old Simpson meter, a big sucker it uses a battery shaped like a 9V but with the contacts at each end like 1.5V battery. It is marked 11V God knows where I would find one.
What model of Simpson? The Simpson 260 Resource Page - Information - Photographs - Free Manuals has some meter info and manuals, don't know if it includes yours.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This talk of Simpson meters got me thinking did I remove the batteries from my old meter? I checked and the batteries were still in place. So I removed them. D cell expired 3-11 and 9V 1-05. D cell is still good. So here is a picture of Oldie Goldie stuff. Meter new 3-93 still in original box. HealthKit, guts removed, and small engines I got from an old modeler. Have more old modeling things but no time to look into them and a few airplanes. In the center is an old stroboscopic tachometer. I rarely use it but it sure is handy when you need it.

My mower repair is coming along. This thing had a lot of welds to cut. A little cleaning and primer and I can start welding the new top plate in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2258706  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am not going to bore all of you accomplished craftsmen with pictures of the re-covering of the fuselage and tailplane in Solartex. The wing and fuselage were already covered in Orange Solartex before I sarted the restoraration, and I intend to use the model as a basic trainer with nervous elderly beginners so orange is a very practical colour for that purpose. Besides I have plenty of Orange Solartex and it matches my flying suit!

The model is powered by a French-made electric motor and uses a 40 Amp speed controller from a late WOT 4 Foam-E ARTF. I have six suitable LiPos, all 3S and ranging from 3000 to 4000 mAh. They will live in a box under the motor. With the 11x5 wooden prop fitted the motor draws 28 amps. I have not weighed the model because my scales stopped working but the when I first built the model it weighed exactly 4.75lbs exactly the weight specified on the kit box lid. Assuming it still weighs the same, that means that this combination produces 65 watts per lb. This should be enough. If not I have larger propellers which will do the trick. I intended to fly it today but it was too windy. I intend to add some lettering once it has flown successfully.

I have been rationalising the workshop/boiler room. An extra set of metal shelves has been assembled and all of the shelving units have been screwed to the wall and to each other. Lots of stuff has been stowed on the shelves. Half a dozen trainers and sports model fuselages hang from the east wall beside the boiler. I've also built a set of wing supports out of 2x1 (25mmx50mm) timber and shelving brackets which you can just see to the right of the Junior 60. The old ARTF Boxes are used to store balsa wood!

My next project is to build a new wing for the Coupe des Barons. After that I will finish my DB Sport and Scale Auster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	J60 Electrified (2).JPG
Views:	36
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2258822   Click image for larger version

Name:	J60 Electrified (1).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2258823   Click image for larger version

Name:	J60 Electrified (3).JPG
Views:	33
Size:	996.8 KB
ID:	2258824   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	2258825  
Old 03-11-2018, 03:16 PM
donnyman

Telemaster that orange bird reminds me of the early free flight and r/c birds of the forty's and fifties, it should make a stable flying trainer platform. and your shop is much neater than mine.

I have been trying to bring a computer monitor back to life much the same as I did with my daughters tv but I can't find a single component the looks bad. I am considering replaceing the capacitors just to see if it will repair it. I will probably lose a few dollars but what the heck it is torn down and i don't want to trash it without trying something. To repair or trash that is the question, in the mean time I have read a host of info about electronics, he internet is loaded with data if you can find what you want.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
Telemaster that orange bird reminds me of the early free flight and r/c birds of the forty's and fifties, it should make a stable flying trainer platform. and your shop is much neater than mine....
The model is a Keil Kraft Junior 60, originally a free flight model designed in 1946 by Albert Hatfull. Mine is the 1955 version which had a wider fuselage and strengthened wing to allow for the heavy receiver batteries used at the time.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
What model of Simpson? The Simpson 260 Resource Page - Information - Photographs - Free Manuals has some meter info and manuals, don't know if it includes yours.
I need to dig it out and look at the model. Its a nice meter but way too big for my needs.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:27 AM
acdii

I'm thinking of looking for a powered glider (yeah, an ARF, don't have room or time for another build, have too many as it is) that I can fly at my house. I would fly my Something Xtra, but I don't want to risk it with my neighbor north of me, they are too close and I would fly right over their house on final. At least with a glider I can slip it in and not go over their house.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:56 PM
donnyman

When things go haywire! .......................Check this, We have a house guest that became ill so I take her to the emergency hospital, during the six hours of waiting I call my wife and she is not feeling well, when I get home I get the guest settled in with the flu and it's 9 in the evening, I manage to get in my wife to bed then fix something for me to chow down on it's now zero dark (thirty minutes after midnight) then at Three o;clock this morning my wife wants to see a doctor, so off we go the hospital five hours later my wife is admitted, sometime after 11 this morning I get to have brunch and go home, but I can't get to sleep, so here I am at a quarter to four in the PM typing this: (I will be having a shot of hooch later and try to get some rest I am pooped!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
acdii

Wow, hope your wife and guest get better. That has to suck.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm with you too Donny.

I'm grateful that I live in a country where medical care is not expensive.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:01 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll be keeping you and your dear wife in my prayers Donny.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 PM
acdii

Just finished separating the mold halves of a new mold I made for a hanger 9 P-47 150. Can't get them anymore, so had to make due with the busted up one I have and made a mold. came out pretty good considering it was a PITA to block up due to the angles of the flaps. Had very little seepage and what there was will make a decent hard edge for trimming the part. Now to polish and wax it, a lot, for the first cowl to be made. Now that I have the mold done, I will re-open the area for the muffler and paint and mount the repaired cowl to the plane and get it ready to fly.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

I feel your pain Donny! The wife is fighting a nasty case of what looks like eczema the doctor gave her 4 prescriptions and 3 different lotions and ointments. I went to the doctor yesterday and discoverd I may have a touch of pneumonia and I am getting a referral to hand surgeon for hand and wrist pain. Right hand has loss it's grip and the left is having a problem with the thumb and two middle fingers. Old age is no place for sissies!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.