The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not offended at all Donny. I was thinking of doing something similar by ommitting all of the spars forward of the main spars and sheeting the forward part of the rib from the leading edge to the main spars then tying in the spars with balsa braces, grain vertical. I haven't decided whether to sheet just the top of the structure or whether to go for a full D section. What's your opinion? As for the overly large trailing edge gussets, that's just my bad workmanship!

On the other hand a battering ram may be just what I need! In order to improve your knowledge of the event Donny, take a look at this video of last year's event, scroll down to "Video Coupe 2017." http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons
Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking at some of the planes in the big picture at the front of what you have posted, it appears several of the contestants have already made the changes I suggested, a lighter aircraft is easier to control and crashes with less damage. that's been my experience.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Looking at some of the planes in the big picture at the front of what you have posted, it appears several of the contestants have already made the changes I suggested, a lighter aircraft is easier to control and crashes with less damage. that's been my experience.
Donny something yu said reminds me of something I was told sometime back and could explain the rash of foam ARFs. I don't remember if it was e-flite or great planes that made it but there was a little high wing RTF foam job years ago powered by a little one cell Li-Po that was so light you could crash it repeatedly without damage. The caveat was God help you if you flew it outdoors and there was an sort of wind it was too light to handle it.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:20 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Donny something yu said reminds me of something I was told sometime back and could explain the rash of foam ARFs. I don't remember if it was e-flite or great planes that made it but there was a little high wing RTF foam job years ago powered by a little one cell Li-Po that was so light you could crash it repeatedly without damage. The caveat was God help you if you flew it outdoors and there was an sort of wind it was too light to handle it.
I have two of those, a T-34 and a Corsair. Both can only be flown on a calm day or they would be history. The T-34 was treed 3 times too. Still flies but looks worse than the agrispray plane in Independence day. The Corsair sits on my desk here at work.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Donny for the advice.

It set me to thinking that as well as using a lighter wing I could build another fuselage pretty quickly and make it much lighter than the kit fuselage which uses a lot of plywood. As the Reserve Model will be electric-powered there will not be the need to have it so heavy. Besides the fuselage I've been given is slightly out of shape.

I'm actually thinking of having the Reserve Model as my main model now!
Old 04-13-2018, 04:00 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK! I mentioned lightening the plane but one can carry that idea to and extreme and lose the ability of the bird to achieve the purpose it was designed for. an endurance free flight would not be suitable for the type of event Telemaster wants to enter but a falcon 56 might. one has to build to the purpose of usage and not blindly follow the norm which for a kit is always overbuilt for longevity.

In my youth my friends would strengthen their planes to hold up to crashes, only to have them fail to fly or fly poorly from being overweight. oddly enough CA glue is like that, the less you use the better, the joint is stronger and sets faster. and by the way, I will never use ca hinges unless it is on a very light plane. the glue hardens the flex area and causes early failure. Pin hinges for me exclusively.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:21 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is so true RE CA hinges. They are quick and easy but eventually fail. I usually replace them at that point with Robarts.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suppose that the four tests in La Coupe Des Barons are really tests of piloting skills.
  1. The first test "baguettes" involves trying to hit 1 metre-high 1/4" square balsa wood sticks which are stuck into the ground at widely spaced intervals. The sticks themselves will not damage even the lightest Baron but a piloting error, so close to the ground, may wreck even the strongest! I'm not very confident at low altitude so will have to practice! My game plan is to try to land in the stick field and to try to knock over a few sticks with the wheels on the ground. You get extra points for touch and goes anyway!
  2. The second test is a race between two pylons. Here a lightweight model would have the advantage of quicker acceleration and being able to pull tighter turns.
  3. In the third event you have to try to cut a streamer towed by a trainer so the ability to accelerate and turn quickly would be advantageous.
  4. The final event, "limbo" requires you to fly between and below an enormous (soccer) goalpost. The more frequently you can do this in the five minute slot the more points you score so again the extra manoeuvrability of a lighter model would be advantageous.
I had the plans copied yesterday and even had the wing mirror imaged so that I can build two wing halves at the same time. In the past I always used parafin or white spirit on the back of plans where only one wing-half is shown. However, the last time I tried that trick, the image started to disappear pretty quickly so I had to work very fast!

I'll let you know how the build of the Lightweight Reserve Model progresses!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:15 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Telemaster

It appears your wing ribs are about 1/8" balsa. If so, I would change that to 3/32" max. it's cheaper and strong enough. If you replace plywood with the same thickness balsa you will definitely lose the weight but not lose strength. I did that on a Goldberg eagle and it really got light, I now have a Goldberg tiger converted to a balsa fuselage. so I can test it against the ply fuse I have.

when you make these changes please inform us as to how you like the difference, but mostly how the bird performed.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:26 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been working on my B-25 and found the inner flaps don't clear the nacelle when cut per plans. Have to modify the wing and flap so they clear and look scale. Problem is, I think there was a design change between models that shrunk the inner flap and eliminated the cut back. I am not seeing the cutback on Tootsie, but I don't have a clear image of it. Have to so some research on the J models and find some pictures of the inner flap and nacelle.

And on a side note, the septic tank isn't draining into the field for some reason. Have to get a pumper out this week.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:22 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Been working on my B-25 and found the inner flaps don't clear the nacelle when cut per plans. Have to modify the wing and flap so they clear and look scale. Problem is, I think there was a design change between models that shrunk the inner flap and eliminated the cut back. I am not seeing the cutback on Tootsie, but I don't have a clear image of it. Have to so some research on the J models and find some pictures of the inner flap and nacelle.

And on a side note, the septic tank isn't draining into the field for some reason. Have to get a pumper out this week.
Don't feel alone, we had some winds here and they scrambled the shingles on the second floor roof, I thought I had that problem solved with all the repairs I did last month, I can't seem to get a handle on anything around here long enough to take some time off. I think I will have a metal roof put on I have lots of corrugated metal.

I have been looking at mowers and my son told me he found one for 150 bucks , a 52" zero turn Husqvarna, we don't know how good it is but the guy said he cut his grass with it two days ago, so for that low price my son will check it out this evening after work. I am hoping for the best.

What's tootsie? and who's B-25 are you building?

Last edited by donnyman; 04-15-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

101" Ziroli. Going to have a pair of NGH 38CC on it.

Images aren't loading for some reason

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2188873

Last edited by acdii; 04-15-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Septic tank. Brings back memories of my problem. I have a 2 tank system behind my shop. One day, dummy me, decided to drive too close to one tank. Truck wheel busted the cover and sank in a hole. I had to get some boards and jacks to extricate the truck. I left the hole open but covered for a while. Then water erosion caused the lid on the second tank to collapse. Tank full of dirt. Took me a while to fix all that. I put in new concrete covers and now drive a good distance away from the tanks.

Well the powers that be had me going to doctors for annual physical. I got the last test result. All have been negative except for high blood pressure. So I am now on BP medicine and back to normal. Good for another 50,000 miles. I'm going to take advantage of those miles and make a trip down to Florida. While there I plan to go to Top Gun for at least one day. Good to take a break.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 AM
jollyroger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Northern Michigan buried under 15" snow and sleet. This is what we got for a spring in Northern Michigan with 7" more predicted for today and tonight.
Spring has been canceled. It is snowing as I write this.
Totally depressing. It's the middle of April and it will be at least two to three weeks before it all melts off. I am not planning on putting in a garden this year.
As far as flying, I have no idea what is going to happen. We were supposed to have a club and field fix up day in the middle of May, I don't see that happening now.\snow, snow and more snow.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:05 AM
tomfiorentino

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hear you Jollyroger...and feel your pain! We usually have a spring fun-fly event with club members to get the dust off the transmitters, but we have had to cancel it for the last two Saturdays. Wind, rain, cold...icing on the cars, calling for sloppy stuff all week here in Upstate NY. Usually we can get out a couple days in April, but the whole month is a cold, wet washout. And the problem is it really elongates the winter. Cripe I remember snow flurries more often than no in May for the walleye season opener!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think someone forgot to shovel the spring coal into the sun. I bet it was that recent solar flare that messed up the weather. It was icy and snowy here too, supposed to get more on Wednesday evening. Guess I will just keep working on new ones, and finish repairing what I haven't yet. I really should finish the P-47 repairs and get it ready to fly.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't wish to rub it in you guys but it's 18C here (64F). It's due to be even warmer tomorrow but I bet it's not as nice as in Jamaica where Karolh lives!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We supposedly had our last freeze for this Spring last night but beare in mind Dogs, Rugs, Weathermen, and Politicians all lie. The Rug lies on the floor, the Dog lies on the Rug, and the last two just lie!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK View Post
Don't wish to rub it in you guys but it's 18C here (64F). It's due to be even warmer tomorrow but I bet it's not as nice as in Jamaica where Karolh lives!
It's only the hot air from all the Frenchies over there.......
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We are suppose to go up into the 68 today and break 80 tomorrow..
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Laugh it up furball
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Laugh it up furball
I know where that came from without even Googling it. It doesn't seem that long ago............
We had about 1/4" of snow Saturday, and some flurries yesterday. Gonna be between 50 and 60 the rest of the week. Saturday is the annual Red/White scrimmage game for the Husker football team, and the forecast isn't looking too great.
A memorable moment from a Red/White game:

That kid will remember this for the rest of his life. He's a cancer patient.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It just doesn't seem right being April 16 and hovering around freezing
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it's any consolation, it's the start of the autumn in Australia!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an old flying buddy (know him for 40+ years and he is approaching 80) he tells me the local club members are in their second or third childhoods and reliving the days of yore with C/L flying. He does a lot of buying/selling/trading to supplement his SS check. The newly converted C/L flyer are scarfing up ever OS FP and LA they can find in .40 and .46 to convert to C/L and he is on the hunt. Well I had an old used FP .40 and since he knows I have several .15 fun scale in the pipeline he offered a trade for this little gem. What do you think deal or no deal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service