The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[QUOTE=donnyman;12445699]...! I have engines coming out of my ears, they gotta go! /QUOTE]

If they're glow motors you won't get much for them!

I'm doing a fair bit of instructing these days and I bought an ARTF Seagull Boomerang trainer for the purpose. I fitted an Enya 50 which I bought on eBay. I can't remember how much I paid for it but it wasn't expensive and it looked brand new. It flew the model beautifully, Q silencer as well. However, I stripped a thread in it and substituted an Enya 45. Fitted with an Irvine Mouse secondary silencer to reduce the awful racket, the 45 barely flew the model so I swapped it for a Meteor 60, an old English engine, long out of production. I paid 5 for the Meteor and 5 for the Enya 45 ( $6.62 and $5.87 respectively.) The Meteor is a little bigger than the maximum sized engine specified on the model box which recommeds an engine no bigger than 0.55 cu.ins. I suspect that refers to the OS 55 AX which is likely to be much more powerful than the old Meteor which wasn't very powerful even in its day, but it should get it up there alright. I plan to fly it tomorrow.

Meanwhile a few pictures for you to admire of the 45 and the Meteor. Fortuitously I was able to fit a Super Tigre Q silencer to the Meteor.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's rather sad more people don't appreciate what a good 2 cycle glow engine can do. I always found them easy to run and maintain and simple to repair.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a 90 2 stroke that will most likely stay in the box. I don't like the noise they make. To me nothing sounds better than a Saito purring along.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree acdii but I'm not going to risk one of my beloved Lasers in the clumsy hands of some novice! Besides with a Super Quiet silencer they're not too intrusive.

I've posted this before but there was apparently a man at the British Nationals a year or two ago who literally had buckets full of two-stroke engines, from 049s to 90s. 10 each ($13.26US) take your pick. It just goes to show.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most swap meets will have the 2 strokes by the buckets and few 4 strokes, and the 4s get premium prices too. I do agree though, 2s do serve their purpose.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 2 cycles up to the Super Tigre S3000 I love'em!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know whether I've put up this picture before, if so apologies, but it's a picture of all of the entrants to La Coupe Des Barons held on 2nd June this year. A great day out.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! That's a great turn out!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They really know how to throw a flying competition over there!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:18 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Wow! That's a great turn out!
Eighty entrants were accepted but only sixty-eight turned up on the day.

These are the survivors and a few spare parts! My model is skulking shamefacedly in the background.

At the end of the competition all of the airworthy aircraft were invited to fly together trailing paper streamers. It was quite a sight! Unfortunately I could not participate as my electric motor had failed part way through the third round.

A video of the event will appear in due course.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-11-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 AM
r ward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I still like the glow engines and have no interest in electric power for my planes.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like electric for certain things, like the Twin Otter. The electric motors give it a realistic sound when it flies past since the real ones are turbo props. Also great for powered gliders, spin them up, get altitude, turn it off and float around. But in a Warbird? 4 stroke or go home.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flew the Boomerang yesterday powered by the Meteor. It flew it well enough but boy don't these old 60 two-strokes use fuel! I had three flights with it and judging by the amount of grey dust in the oil residue I feel that further running-in is required. Carburetion needs a little adjusting too.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any of you guys know anything about early Super Tigre .90s have an incorrect crank causing vibration?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Over on RC Groups I was asked by an Indian gentleman, how many kits and part-built projects I had in stock. This was my reply.

On 19th May 2017 I had the following unstarted kits, incomplete airframes and projects, and I am about to order another vintage kit!

Model Aeroplane Kits

Fokker DVII
Stampe Monitor
Flying Flea
SE5
Baron
Supra Fly
ARTF Acrowot
WOT 4
Hurricane

Incomplete Airframes, Repairs and “Projects.”

DB Sport and Scale Auster
KK Outlaw
Stol
North American AT6 (two off.)
WOT 4
Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel
DSM Aerostar
Majestic Major
Double Sized Tomboy
Roy Scott BE2e

Since then I have built the Baron, a French trainer from the 1970s with which I competed in La Coupe Des Barons in June of this year: http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons I also built an aileron wing for it.

I managed to crash my ARTF WOT 4 XL by stalling it on landing and breaking the fuselage in half. If the ground had been a metre or a metre and a half higher the landing would have been perfect! I was going to throw it away because after all it was only an ARTF, but I discovered that the new cost of this model is 183 or €207, $241 US or 16488 INR, so I'm going to have a go at repairing it in a jig!

My normal size WOT 4 also needs a little attention, the engine mount has come loose.

So to answer your question directly, I turned 70 in March.

Including the new kit I will have 19 kits or projects to keep me busy. I participated in an on line survey a few weeks ago which predicted that I was going to die at the age of 84. That means that I have to complete 1.4 models per year to get rid of them!

I hope that this answers your question and explains why I won't be participating in the Build Off.

Happy Landings

PS. I have been doing a fair bit of instructing recently, so over the last year I have assembled two four-channel ARTF trainers , (it's always good to have a spare when teaching novices!) and I have renovated my old Junior 60 as a basic trainer and converted it to fly on electric power.

PPS. The Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Camel was given to me by my club's president who did not have the time to finish it. The Camel's previous owner, was a professional violinist who had once played with the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra. He was a superb builder who had never quite learned how to fly a radio controlled model aircraft before running out of time by dying first! The basic fuselage stands like a piece of modern art in the corner of my study. It would not have been my first choice but I suppose I'm honour-bound to finish it.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Any of you guys know anything about early Super Tigre .90s have an incorrect crank causing vibration?
Flyer I have never owned a Super Tigre 90 but I do have a 40 and an S2000. Super Tigre engines have a reputation for being well-made sporty engines which produce a bit more power than the competition. Does your 90 vibrate excessively? Was it a known problem with the early 90s? Given that you are an experienced modeller I presume that you have balanced the propeller and checked that the bearings are sound. If it still vibrates excessively that suggests that an internal component is worn or faulty.

Getting new spares for this marque may be rather difficult now.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got the engine last night. The previous owner got it used also and had not run it. He was passing information on he had heard. I didn't know anything about what he had said but the Italian built .90s go back to a time when I didn't run anything bigger than a .25 for economic reasons. I actually prefer the .61 and .75. I got this one thrown in on a trade for a .61. I have to dig up a carb and muffler for it first so I haven't put on my test stand yet. I asked hear because most of us have a little snow on the roof and long memories.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:54 AM
skybill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
a70
I used some nylons to cover my birds back in the day but never tampons to make rockets ..............Cool! show us how!

Ghost I must have built at least ten ringmasters, p-51's, yaks and shoestrings by sterling back in the late 1950's. I had to work at the hobbyshop to afford it. my first was a berklely p-40 stunt for christmas all powered by the mighty mc coy 35 red head I got bent out of shape when the price increased to $7.50 from $5 bucks in 58 or 9.

Hey Major............ I was 14 in 1955
Hi Big Dude...
P-51's, Yak's, Shoestrings... those old "Sterling Uki kits for .35's!! Don't forget the Top Flite "Flight Streak!!' 'Had one with a Torp. .35 could do the "4 Leaf Clover on 60' lines and the plane looked like it was in a 12' box!!!! Had a flying friend Pauli Yuhas , WWII vet and friend of he family here in Hammond La. this was the early 60's.. we would fly in one of the local parks and also go to his Brother's Farm in Albany and fly in a open field!! Now where the I-12 crosses the Albany exit... I think #32 That dirt was Pauli's Brother's Farm!! It is now the I-12!!! Hell of a note!!!
skybill
PS I was Hammond High Class of '63 and we just had our 55th reunion on 02 June!! All that flyin' i mentioned was pre ''63" so go figure!!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SKYBILL

In 1957 to SEPT. 59 Sterling kits was a mainstay for me. Flying in the park was a toss up because we usually got kicked out ...No live engines allowed, so we went across the street to the school yard. the sound bouncing off the building made it a bit more exciting. Understand this was in Brooklyn N.Y. so not many open areas to fly in but we had a few. I would probably get arrested if I even started a engine in that area now it is high dollar real estate for the rich and famous now.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-15-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I like electric for certain things, like the Twin Otter. The electric motors give it a realistic sound when it flies past since the real ones are turbo props. Also great for powered gliders, spin them up, get altitude, turn it off and float around. But in a Warbird? 4 stroke or go home.
Electric can sound like a recip engine sometimes. I`ve got this old foamy I picked up at a swap meet that sounds pretty cool.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice airplane Stickslammer!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks! At the time of this photo, you can see the landing gear intact. A hard landing snapped the nose gear off, and since the linkage was a cheesy set up, I decided that hand launching and flying "gear up" was easier since most of the time it`s just grass for a runway. I also removed the foam tail stabs and control surfaces because they were so flimsy and misshapen, and duplicated them in thin balsa and white Monokote. The increased rigidity makes it fly much better. For $20.00, a new receiver and battery, it`s my trusty backyard flyer. Very lightweight and nimble. The slightly bent prop shaft make the gearing whine thus the realistic sound in the air. I love getting good deals on old abandoned models and getting them in the air again.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:16 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was once asked on some forum which was my favourite model. My reply was a WOT 4 XL fitted with a an Enya 120 FS, the "cooking" version not the R. The WOT 4 is a classic British sports model as common on a British flying field as Sticks (Stiks?) are in the USA. Originally a 54" model intended for a 40, the XL is an ARTF enlargement. Pictures of my XL and standard model, alas KIA, below.

While flying the WOT 4 XL was enjoyable I made a complete horlicks of the landing one day and the model dropped straight down from a height of six feet or more onto its wheels breaking the fuselage in half. If the ground had have been two metres higher, the landing would have been perfect! I put the two halves into the cellar and forgot about them until last week when I was burning undergrowth from my orchard. I picked up the XL intending to chuck it onto the bonfire but before I did that, I visited Steve Webb's website to see how expensive a replacement was.At over 183 a pop, ($240US) I decided to have a go at repairing it! I pushed the front onto the back as well as I could. I had aligned it as well as possible but there were some bits of wood missing so I fitted it into a SLEC fuselage jig and pinned it in place with cyano. It's a shame that I hadn't taken a picture of the two fuselage halves but you'll be able to see the repairs later.

Brief Autobiographical Tangent.
The man who first got me interested in aeromodelling was my Uncle Geoff, my mother's sister's husband, who was a draughtsman and who built superb models during the Golden Age, mainly free flight gliders like the SATU and Jinx. This would have been 1959 or 1960 when I would have been 11 or 12 and he would have been in his early 30s. Within two years he had died of cancer but before he died he gave me all of his models including an incomplete double sized Vic Smeed "Tomboy" which he had drawn up himself. Spool on thirty years or more and I built the model and installed a radio.Click image for larger version

Name:	505311.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2261310However, the fifty year-old wood in the fuselage was very weak so I built another fuselage using cyano throughout. I was very much a beginner at the time and my transmitter didn't have a buddy box facility. Somehow I got it into a spiral dive which hit the ground with great force and all I was left with was a Vintage Yellow Solartex bag of balsawood sticks! Every glue joint had failed. Since then I have only used cyano very sparingly when building models preferring aliphatic on most joints.

The Revival!

Given my previous experience with cyano I was surprised at just how strong and rigid the repaired fuselage was once I'd removed it from the jig. I decided to reinforce the joints with glass fibre mat and resin. Some of it is wing joining tape, some of it is finishing cloth and using glass and resin is not my strongest suit as the photographs below will attest to, however, the repairs have now been reinforced. Having sanded away some excess glue the original servo tray was fitted last night.I still need to scarf in a few pieces of wood and add a little filler before recovering the fuselage. I also need to repair the elevator pushrod but the repairs are going ahead steadily and I may even fit a glider tow release.Click image for larger version

Name:	808328.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	2261311

Click image for larger version

Name:	808329.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	2261312

Click image for larger version

Name:	808330.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2261313

Laser Dilemma.

For some time I have been telling my French clubmates about Laser Engines which are made in England, but I haven't had one in a model for years. I thought I'd take the opportunity to replace the Enya with either an old Laser 150 V twin I picked up for strong money at an auction in Exeter a long time ago, or with a brand new single cylinder 155 which I've never run. My head says fit the 155 as that's just a straight swap. My heart says fit the V twin but there are problems. I cannot fit the stock fuel tank high enough in the model to ensure a good fuel flow to the carburetters. I have asked Jonathan Harper at Laser's for advice and he says that an uncowled V twin in a WOT 4XL looks like something out of Mad Max.

I quite fancy a Mad Max WOT 4 XL!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Telemaster

That bird looks to be a good fun relaxing flier. I have flown some like it but I find I prefer something just a bit more of a challenge. I like low wingers, This is my 40 sized Kaos with many years of flying on it. The fuse has been replaced because it dug a big hole in the ground---(Wing departed) but it is now in one piece again. I haven't put any air time on it yet.

We are in the initial stages of setting up a new flying site on my friends 65 acres (part of a much larger package owned by the family) which will permit unlimited flying. It is slow going due to other commitments but the owner is into RC and is real eager. he has the heavy equipment to put in the field. The location was used by his father to land his full scale planes and is still registered. it is a thousand feet behind his home.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"Telemaster

That bird looks to be a good fun relaxing flier. I have flown some like it but I find I prefer something just a bit more of a challenge. I like low wingers, This is my 40 sized Kaos with many years of flying on it. The fuse has been replaced because it dug a big hole in the ground---(Wing departed) but it is now in one piece again. I haven't put any air time on it yet.

We are in the initial stages of setting up a new flying site on my friends 65 acres (part of a much larger package owned by the family) which will permit unlimited flying. It is slow going due to other commitments but the owner is into RC and is real eager. he has the heavy equipment to put in the field. The location was used by his father to land his full scale planes and is still registered. it is a thousand feet behind his home."

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service