Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It nice though to have access to the odd component from time to time.
Hi Mike, Are there any electronic parts stores in the OKC area. There is a nice one in the Dallas called Tanners Electronics and they have a large selection of parts for sale.
I get up there once in a great moon or when I pass through on my way to Kansas or Tulsa.
Thanks
Michael Johnston
Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmm. I wonder if the Lincoln South HobbyTown store will be one of the ones to have a Radio Shack presence. I'm guessing it will because that store is the 'flagship' store of HobbyTown USA. Maybe RS will actually have something I need.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Solartex Heads Up.

I am going to build a Walt Good's "Big Guff" over the winter. It's one of the very first radio controlled models which first flew in the late Thirties and having an eight-foot (2.4 metre) wingspan it's no lightweight.

I was going to cover the sheeted fuselage in Red Solartex of which I have some stock, and the flying surfaces in Vintage Red so you could see the structure through the covering on a sunny day. However, when I got onto Solarfilm's website I found out that all of the Vintage Red had been sold and that the WW1 boys had bought all of the Linen! I bought a ten-metre roll of Antique which is a translucent cream colour as I have two other projects which would suit that, and I noticed that Hobby King were selling five-metre rolls of Dark Blue Solartex for 37€ which is about $43 US, so I bought a roll and my Big Guff will have a dark blue fuselage and translucent cream wings. It could look rather smart.

In brief, if you want some Solartex buy it while stocks last.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

PS. Solartex has traditionally been available in nineteen different colours. I have just found out that only sixteen colours are on sale at the moment. As well as Linen and Vintage Red, "Solartex Yellow" is unavailable from the company's website.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:09 AM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
It was about 35 years ago my friend was riding with me in my 68 chev p/u and the glove box poped open and my spare distributor cap dropped into his lap. This old WWII transport pilot smiled and said " There aren't many guys like you left."
I do miss Radio Shack.
Hi Joe, I saw your post and thought I needed to answer you back because you are from Galesburg Kansas and I grew up in Oswego Kansas! I haven't lived there in over 21 years but I learned to fly RC out east of town on K 96 at the Oswego. I briefly flew out at lake Parsons and my best friend works in Parsons and he had told me that there where still guys flying out there!
Michael Johnston
Old 07-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Michael, When we first moved here in the early 90's there were a few that flew at Parsons Lake. The field has all grown up in tall grass. We drive out there some evenings and never see any R/C activity at all. There is a club field at Pittsburg we drive by it and rarely see any activity there. But there is a Hobby shop in Pittsburg. He has a lot of airplane stuff but appears that most people by drones and cars.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 PM
mkjohnston

Hi Joe, Yes the last time I flew out there was around 1991 or so we also flew down at the old Army air force field north of Edna for awhile back in the 80's. I was member of the Pittsuburg AMA club when I lived in Pittsburg back in 1994 or so while I attended Pitt State. I moved to Houston Texas and was there almost 20 years and moved up here to Wichita Falls three years ago. There is a local AMA club here and I am member of it. They have two flying fields to fly on and its pretty hot right now. My friend David Landis lives off US 59 just east of Altamont and he did fly in the hay pasture behind his house. There was still a small group of guys flying in Oswego but I think he city ran them off again.
Take Care
Michael Johnston
Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

The return of radio shack would be interesting, what products would they sell? components don't do well because few people rebuild anything, I have been in need of some components lately but the circuit board i wished to repair became available with upgrades so that's what I purchased. Mouser electronics and FRY's are the two places I have been able to get components. Fry's is local and the number of components is limited. Mouser electronics seem's to have it all but it is mail order only for me. we have two hobby towns here so I will be watching.

I have been eye balling the runway in the videos from the Barons contest it appears to be Petromat And is what we are considering here. I hope it will stand up to flooding. Is anyone familiar with it's useage? we could use some first hand knowledge.

This PIC taken the same day as the Kaos PIC is of a Ultimate Bipe with a O.S 91FS I scratched up from a repair I was doing on another, It sold before I could put it in the air.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey Donny, I have a red one of those that had an OS Gemini II 120. Flew pretty good until the throttle arm loosened on the carb and went full closed right after take off. Just so you know, they don't fly very long with a tail wind.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Lovely standard of work on that Ultimate Donnyman! My repaired WOT 4 will look like something out of Mad Max by comparison! No wonder someone made you an offer you couldn't refuse.

I have been under the weather with a summer cold followed by a chest infection for the last ten days or so. This has left me feeling pretty lethargic but on Saturday I helped several other members of the club to work on our flying field. The main job involved building a concrete base for a mast we have bought from the much larger club at Gueret. We have also bought a solar panel from the Gueret boys so when it's all ready we will have a supply of electricity in the club hut sufficient for us to charge up the car batteries which we use to power the lighting circuit. Two of our younger members were getting stuck into the concreting so I volunteered to cut the hedges back and to help repair the safety barrier. There were seven of us there: F aged 78; Your Humble Servant aged 70; R and G both 65; S who is in his fifties; L aged 30 and V aged 14 who is Fs' grandson. I originally typed full names but thought better of it given what is to follow.

F had brought along his tractor and worked exclusively with his grandson. It had a box on the back into which gravel was placed in order to fill in some of the holes in the approach track to the flying field. Later on F and his grandson went around flattening mole hills and using the excess soil to level off the glider landing strip next to our tarmac main runway. What interested me was that for the whole morning the lad was driving the tractor and his grandfather doing all of the physical work. I was rather perturbed seeing this. When I was fourteen I would not have let my grandfather do all of the manual work, I like to think that I would have done it all, or at least most of it myself just to prove how strong and helpful I was! Now I do not know whether F had told his grandson to drive the tractor while he did the physical work, but the situation left me with a couple of unanswered questions.
  1. Why was I upset seeing this?
  2. If F had told his grandson to stay driving the tractor while he got on with the hard graft, are we raising a generation of idlers?
Perhaps the lad was ill.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:27 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

The father son situation is common, I have experienced the same with my own son and to this day do not fully understand. but I have made it known to him. We are in a period of change that seems to be more like the "me first, damn you" mentality. It is not for the better that's for sure. many things in our lives demonstrate this, especially in the political arena, they will watch you suffer and die to protect their jobs and status. I am not surprised by the negative changes in society It is spoken of in the bible as the course that must be taken toward the end times of life as we know it. the natural disasters will also increase and intensify. ...................this is a subject that many disagree on and is a never ending argument.

Things are again getting busy here, the parts for my motor home have arrived and I have purchased much to repair and upgrade my daughters home, I have accomplished many repairs lately while discarding many things in preparation to moving to another locale. The honeydo's never end. I have been feeling more energetic since taking some vitamin D on a daily basis, my doctor said I was deficient.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm lucky I have one son and a daughter in-law that come over a lot to help us and we reciprocate when we can.
On your Bible reference I can't help seeing the Red Horse of War from the Second seal or the Revelation in news for some time.

The vitamin D problem must be pretty common, the doctor put my wife on it too. I thought it was related to her diabetes or Lupus but now I guess not. My knee Orthopedic put me on a high dose of glucosamine and congrotene to try to help my knees. Unfortunately while it helped the finger joints the knees and hips have been a lost cause.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Donny, I can appreciate the friction which is sometimes present in a father-son relationship but last Saturday it was the grandfather and grandson who were involved. As stated above, when I was fourteen I was so keen to show everyone how grown up I was that I would not have let my grandfather do all of the manual work while I sat on the tractor.

My Summer Cold degenerated into a chest infection but I'm back to about 90% full health. I plan to ride my motorcycle into Gueret today to try to register it in France. The bureaucracy here is something to behold.

I am plucking up the courage to fly my BE2e as the club will be hosting a Vintage/ WW1 Day on 18th August followed by a Fly-In ("Porte Ouverte" literally Open Door,) on 19th. Not that the BE2 is difficult to fly, you just have to keep the speed up when landing otherwise you have to repair the lower wing!

One of our members, Francois Dutreuil, has built a replica of the Farman 11 in which his grandfather was killed in December 1915 while returning from a bombing raid. He has flown it once and found that the ailerons were too sensitive. He intends to add some differential.

I am rebuilding my WOT 4 XL and fitting an old Laser 150 V Twin fourstroke. It will look like something out of Mad Max! I hope to have it ready for La Porte Ouverte. Photos of the repair to follow.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Wouldn't he want Exponential to soften the inputs?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I bet you didn't know that your president was watching England play India at cricket in Birmingham today, as was Kim Jong Un! He's also a supporter of Northampton Rugby Club judging by the rugby shirt he's wearing! https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/k...-a3903601.html
Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't know I thought DT tweeted that was fake news?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:52 PM
pa_28r_200
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman

The return of radio shack would be interesting, what products would they sell? components don't do well because few people rebuild anything, I have been in need of some components lately but the circuit board i wished to repair became available with upgrades so that's what I purchased. Mouser electronics and FRY's are the two places I have been able to get components. Fry's is local and the number of components is limited. Mouser electronics seem's to have it all but it is mail order only for me. we have two hobby towns here so I will be watching.

I have been eye balling the runway in the videos from the Barons contest it appears to be Petromat And is what we are considering here. I hope it will stand up to flooding. Is anyone familiar with it's useage? we could use some first hand knowledge.

This PIC taken the same day as the Kaos PIC is of a Ultimate Bipe with a O.S 91FS I scratched up from a repair I was doing on another, It sold before I could put it in the air.
Great PIC...have gone through 3 and have another kit under a bed in one of the bedrooms!!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
pa_28r_200
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread!! I didn't qualify when it started, but I do now!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM
mkjohnston

I dont like to buy electronic components from Frys at all they never have what I need.Radio Shack will probably never recover because they cant compete with china. When you someone selling leds for .10 cents a piece there is no way they could ever sell them that cheap. I buy from Mouser and Digikey and they are usually cheaper than mouser.
Michael
Old 08-04-2018, 05:31 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by pa_28r_200
Great Thread!! I didn't qualify when it started, but I do now!
Welcome! You have entered the world where you may voice your moans, groans, gripes, and happies
Old 08-04-2018, 05:57 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

Please be extra careful with that chest infection, it can double back on you as pneumonia and at our age that's bad news. get a lot of rest!

I like that Farman 11, I was thinking of the same type but it had a machine gun in the nose ..Gun Bus? just for the fun of it I have a couple of scale rotary engine kits that would look good on it.
every now and then I like to try something different. heres one of them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FE 8 B&W Print.pdf (197.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-04-2018, 06:19 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
I dont like to buy electronic components from Frys at all they never have what I need.Radio Shack will probably never recover because they cant compete with china. When you someone selling leds for .10 cents a piece there is no way they could ever sell them that cheap. I buy from Mouser and Digikey and they are usually cheaper than mouser.
Michael
I agree with you but I would like to see Radio shack make a comeback It grieves me to see us lose more to the world market. A return of companies like Heathkit would set my heart to flutter.
Buying from Fry's is a great convenience for me I like to be able to hold in my hand things I am about to purchase, and have a dislike for mail order although I use it more than ever now!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:32 PM
mkjohnston

Originally Posted by donnyman
I agree with you but I would like to see Radio shack make a comeback It grieves me to see us lose more to the world market. A return of companies like Heathkit would set my heart to flutter.
Buying from Fry's is a great convenience for me I like to be able to hold in my hand things I am about to purchase, and have a dislike for mail order although I use it more than ever now!
Hi donnyman, It seems that Heathkit is alive on the net check here: https://shop.heathkit.com/shop. When I look at this website they are very expensive and I dont think they offer much like in the old days!.
Michael Johnston
Old 08-04-2018, 07:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

Moat of the pages are blank.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Donny those pusher aircraft, Vickers FB2, Airco DH2, Royal Aircraft Factory FE8 and the two seater FE2b, filled a gap in 1915-1916 before the more aerodynamically efficient armed tractor aircraft like the Sopwith Pup, Nieuport and Sopwith One and a Half Strutters appeared. They all featured a forward firing machine gun as did Francois' grandfather's Farman. Indeed he is buried alongside his observer as both were killed at the same time.

One of the finest books ever written about the war in the air 1914-18 is "Sagitarius Rising" by Cecil Lewis. He mentions that in training everybody wanted to be sent to FE2b squadrons as they were considered the best aircraft in the RFC at the time. Lewis was sent out to fly Moranes. Perhaps that saved his life. While the FE2b might have been the best aircraft in the RFC in 1916, by 1917 it was so slow and unmanouevrable that they became easy prey for a determined German fighter pilot flying the far superior Albatros. Manfred von Richtofen shot down eleven FE2bs and their variants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.