Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Projects seem to not get completed, set aside for later and more projects appear to get done. Just the way it is. I have 2 projects that need to be done. As I get older I cannot handle this Texas summer heat. I need to build a sun/heat shield over my main concrete slab where I do most work. I also need a portable shield that I can tow about. I’ve been thinking about these projects for a few years now. . The towable shield would serve 3 ways, by the runway, firewood splitting area and mechanical repairs that may have to be done in the open. Just tow it as needed. I have the design in my head. Just have to get her done. Two projects on the get done list.

What about one of those fold up jobs they use for camping etc? The are pretty good size 10' X 10"

https://www.amazon.com/CROWN-SHADES-...SIN=B078XRF4QY
Old 10-19-2018, 08:54 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It is good to know I am not the only one with more projects that I want or can accomplish at my age, I am less than 3 yrs from eighty and mister arthur-itis ain't helpin none. I find it hard to trust contractors to do repairs because of the low quality of the work they do. add in the crazy weather we have here and one can see why the honeydo's can pile up. I have considered moving into a retirement condo or something to get away from all the "to" "do"s.

The weather is improved but I am still useing it to get into my shop.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Retirement condo sounds good but only if you had a building area for airplanes.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What about one of those fold up jobs they use for camping etc? The are pretty good size 10' X 10"

https://www.amazon.com/CROWN-SHADES-...SIN=B078XRF4QY

Flyer, thanks. I’ve looked at those but not good for my needs. I’m looking to make a Ramada type structure. Made out of lumber, wheels on rear, steel legs on front, with a folding type tow bar. Yesterday after I thought about this again, I dug out my sketch of the structure. I may be able to build it for around $500.00. I made up my mind I’m building it this winter.

For my concrete slab, I’ve already erected 4 steel pipes in concrete base. I was going to build a roof and tie it to my shop roof. Large project that stalled to incompleted. Now, I’m going to erect 2 more pipes and build a simple free standing roof structure just to keep the rain and heat off the work area. A more simple structure. Will work on this too. Post pictures when done. Now with this post I’m really committed. LOL.

Donny, I’m 2 years younger than you. Just starting to feel my age. I just stay busy to stay young. I have 2 ladies down the road that call me for any maintenance or help. So I’m really maintaining 3 pieces of property and some of the required equipment. I know what you mean about contractors. Other than AC work and my shop roofing job which I had done, I do all my own maintenance. Saves a lot of money. Plus keeps me young. LOL.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

54 in 3 days, and feel like I'm 80. Between the back, joints and fatigue, man, I need a vacation. LOL My house chores keep piling up, and it feels like I can never get anything done. I finally got the driveway leveled off and filled in, so at least something was accomplished, though I still need to clear the one side of the car port and put up a plastic shed I bought to store my gas powered things in and get them out of the garage, which reminds me, I have been meaning to buy a tire rack to mount on the wall for my spare truck wheels. <--never ending!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
54 in 3 days, and feel like I'm 80. Between the back, joints and fatigue, man, I need a vacation. LOL My house chores keep piling up, and it feels like I can never get anything done. I finally got the driveway leveled off and filled in, so at least something was accomplished, though I still need to clear the one side of the car port and put up a plastic shed I bought to store my gas powered things in and get them out of the garage, which reminds me, I have been meaning to buy a tire rack to mount on the wall for my spare truck wheels. <--never ending!
You are just a pup! I hit 60 back in April and for my birthday got 4 new doctors and I'm getting a new full knee for Christmas. Betty Davis was right Old age is no place for sissies. 70 and 80 ought to be a riot if I make it!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:30 AM
acdii

only 6 years my friend!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

only 6 years my friend!
Yeah, and then you get to fall apart like the rest of us! HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM
acdii

Gee, Thanks, I think... Sitting here at work, twiddling thumbs while waiting on a support case to call me back, and my back started aching just below my right shoulder blade. Feel likes a muscle that needs to pop, and nothing I do will relieve it. Hate when that happens. Its from a degenerating disk in the t4-6 area and pinches some nerves. GRRRRRR.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gee, Thanks, I think... Sitting here at work, twiddling thumbs while waiting on a support case to call me back, and my back started aching just below my right shoulder blade. Feel likes a muscle that needs to pop, and nothing I do will relieve it. Hate when that happens. Its from a degenerating disk in the t4-6 area and pinches some nerves. GRRRRRR.
Keep talking like that and they may take you out back like Ole Yellar.

Something my smart aleck sons keep offering to do!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

While I was getting on with painting the outside of my house yesterday morning I received a text from the president of the model aeroplane club asking for volunteers to put on a bit of a flying demonstration in the afternoon between 16.00 and 17.30. The mayor of the next village was holding a conference for all of the mayors of the department, which may perhaps be best described as a very large county, and he wanted to give the delegates a break. Among those attending was the "Mayor of Mayors" and the Departmental Finance Minister.

I loaded four models into the van, two electric and two i/c and I arrived on site at at 15.30 and started to assemble them. I started with the Senior Telemaster (STM) as that takes twenty minutes to rig. By 16.15 I had them all ready and we stood about waiting for the mayor's party. It was very sunny but quite windy and I was only wearing sandals, shorts and the club polo shirt so after a while I began to feel cold. I test-flew my foamie electric trainer and then by half past five when no-one had turned up, I declared that I had more important things to do than to wait for people who didn't turn up, so started dismanting the STM. Of course as soon as I had got it in pieces a people-carrier turned up with the mayor's party! Assorted members flew their electric powered models while the club president put the club's ARTF trainer, powered by an OS 46 through its paces. I was reluctant start up an i/c engine for just one flight so chose to demonstrate the Junior 60's benign flying characteristics which included me holding the transmitter at arms length while the model flew itself!

The Mayor of Mayors turned out to be a slim, attractive, fair-haired lady of a certain age. She seemed to be quite excited by the flying display so I walked over to her offered her the transmitter and asked her to push the right hand stick to the right. The model went into an immediate spiral dive! I took back control and when the poor old thing had settled down after a series of power-stalls, I asked her to observe my right thumb as I flew the model. Once she had understood that only small movements were necessary, she managed to complete a right hand circle before she was called back to duty at the local community centre. As the party left we were invited for drinks at eight o'clock that evening.

It is the policy of our club to write out a certificate for any beginner who flies an r/c model at our flying field for the first time. These are normally issued to children who fly the club's trainer on the buddy box but we wrote one out for her! We duly arrived at the community centre and were kept waiting for half an hour in the cold but this time I was wearing long trousers, Veldschoen and a sports jacket. In front of all of the mayors of the department I had to present her with her certificate. She asked me whether I was scared of the model crashing the first time she had the transmitter. I said that all beginners were too brutal on the sticks first time out but that she had learned very quickly, besides the model is extremely stable.

Then I had to kiss her on both cheeks. It's a tough job ...

PS. For the benefit of those who don't know what a Senior Telemaster or Junior 60 look like, here are a couple of pictures of them in flight.

..and this is what the lady in question looks like.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 10-19-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:04 AM
Hogpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait.....What??? I’m an old timer now???
How did this happen??!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpilot
Wait.....What??? I’m an old timer now???How did this happen??!
You don't have to do a thing. It just sort of creeps up on you.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Hogpilot
Wait.....What??? I’m an old timer now???
How did this happen??!
You lived long enough to earn the title Just wait, there is more to come!......................................... Welcome!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 AM
donnyman

Retirement condo sounds good but only if you had a building area for airplanes.
That's one of the reasons I haven't moved, No matter which way I go I loose something, until I figure it out here I sit. Short of a few negatives I am in the best situation of my life. Maybe I don't know how good I have it.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:40 AM
acdii

Keep talking like that and they may take you out back like Ole Yellar.

Something my smart aleck sons keep offering to do!
My 13 YO daughter keeps telling me I'm over a half century old..........I tell her I know where all the bodies are buried and walk away.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:26 PM
ETpilot

Well I’ve started my covering job. Already a few mistakes Biggest is over doing with the heat gun and pulling the lower right corner too much. I’ll fix that when I attach stab n rudder. Hope to identify other mistakes before I get to wing and fuselage. This is about a 20 foot covering job. View it from 20 feet.

This talk of old age is making me feel prehistoric. And that is BAD!!

Old 10-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by ETpilot

...This talk of old age is making me feel prehistoric. And that is BAD!!

The lady pictured in 3663 should make you feel young and sprightly!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 AM
ETpilot

Well, I went to 3663 and saw no picture. Besides old age now I think I’m going blind. So I settled for the one in 6336. Made me feel 20 years younger. You got choice duty there.

Feeling tired yesterday, I went to bed early. Only to wake up at 2 in the morning. So it is 3:15AM on my second cup of coffee. After coffee I’m heading to the shop to see what more covering damage I can do.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The lady pictured in 3663 should make you feel young and sprightly!
Looks like I'm getting dispraxic in my old age!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:42 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Looks like I'm getting dispraxic in my old age!
Hi Telemaster, As a former member of the United States Army reserves in the early 1980's i remember doing what was called Hurry Up and Wait! I can tell we did this all the time waiting on a higher up to show up to inspect our command and it happened several times. One time in particular we waited almost an hour one Saturday afternoon to be let go because the person who was supposed to come decided not to show up. That was an interesting phase in my life but I still have dreams about being in the army from time to this day even though Im almost 60 years old. ha
Michael
Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I bet your higher ups were not as good looking as the Mayor of Mayors!

(See Post 6336 for reference!)
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No they where crankny old men who like to to torture the troup by making them wait on them to show up ha!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 AM
ETpilot

In the early morning hours yesterday I managed to do a bit more covering. I then found out I don’t have enough yellow. Didn’t check beforehand. Now I am stuck, yellow is out of stock at Value Hobby. I emailed them for an estimate on when they will get some in. Other choice is order from Hobby King. Never ordered from them but have read many horror stories about them. So plane is set aside for now.

Yesterday was first sunny day we have had in awhile. All the rain is gone. So I decided to clean and inspect the chimney. A really nasty job. But for safety has to be done once a year. I wear old clothes for this which go immediately into the wash, by themselves, after I’m done. Took me 2 ½ hours this time. I have to work from the top down, easier, due to the design of this chimney.

But I have some help. Each year I get Chimney Swifts to nest in the chimney. They tend to sweep as the enter and leave. Best part for me is I hear the babies crying during feeding time. I really enjoy then. It is an annual ritual. They come in the spring and leave around August. They build the nest from twigs and use saliva to glue them together. See picture.

Best bird I’ve had around is the Purple Martin. Again an annual ritual. They send scouts first. Then the rest arrive once they find a good place to call home. They like to live in condos so I built 4 2 story houses with 12 condos each. So I got a lot of birds. I would spend hours watching them. They visit from condo to condo and flew around like fighter pilots. They also have a unique chirp. You can always ID them by the chirp. Just fun to watch.

Sadly many years ago they stopped coming. Never found out why. Just left the area. I haven’t heard then in years now. The houses rotted away and I finally took them down.

But, I have my Chimney Swifts.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Talking of ornithology, while painting the outside of my house I distinctly heard the sound of migrating cranes. Harbingers of winter here as they make their way from Scandinavia and Russia towards southern Spain and north Africa. As I was standing on a ladder my movements were somewhat restricted so I never actually saw any but yesterday several flocks of them flew over the flying field. Several hundred birds in each group, an amazing site. I even saw one group circling in a thermal before striking out southwards once they had gained altitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.