Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 04:21 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Sounds like fun! Add to the entertainment factor schedule it after the traditional club luncheon with wine!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

I saw a bit of interesting news today. It was delivered the year my younger brother was born. I wonder if it was named after him?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-the-bone-yard
Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I saw a bit of interesting news today. It was delivered the year my younger brother was born. I wonder if it was named after him?

The article mentions the New START treaty several times. Anyone here think Russia is abiding by it?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Of course not Trump saw to that, or was it Hillary. J/K, they probably are. One hell of a plane though.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:19 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well this is my B-52 story.

Tuesday, May 14th, I was cutting wood with my chainsaw. I needed to change the chain and had the saw apart outside behind the shop. I went into the shop to get a chain and while inside I heard this loud roar coming this way. I said to myself “that is a military jet”.

I ran outside, looked up 30-45 degrees and WOW, it was a B-52 coming over the shop. It was low and flying fast. I dropped what I had and got my phone to take a picture. But no good. My fingers were oily and I just could not set up the camera. The B-52 was gone in a few seconds. Then I heard it make a wide left hand turn heading East, towards Louisiana. A friend heard the B-52 but never saw it. Thought it was a plane about to crash.

Later, I did a search and found a news article about the return of Wise Guy. I figured that may have been it making a tour of the area. This area used to be a low altitude military training route. Back 20-25 years ago I used to see B-52’s flying formation. And also A-10’s from, now deactivated, England Air Force Base, LA. Interesting times. These days, I get to see the B-52’s when I visit Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

ETpilot, you lucky dog I'm jealous! Tinker AFB in Midwest City, OK is having their annual air show at the end of the month. I'm planning on going if I can they will have the new restored B-29 "Doc" flying and on display. My father in-law built the cockpits for Boeing back in the 40s and my father was Armour Crew Chief and relief Ball Gunner for 89th (Heavy).
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 AM
acdii

One day on a wet and overcast afternoon, I was at my dog kennel getting my dog when I heard this high pitched whine of a jet, and it was really low. Then I heard a loud boom followed by a roar and saw the clouds light up orange, then blue. Suddenly out of the clouds came an F-14 on full burner with the wings stretched out, and it pulled nose up and shot back up into the clouds. I don't think he meant to fly that low, but it was awesome to see, hear and feel.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:19 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

That is one tired looking airplane!

My B-52 story. We were deployed to Morocco for an annual exercise with their Air Force, our Air Force and our Navy. Three BUFFs came over for it. One day as one BUFF returned from bombing the 6th Fleet, he did a low pass over our site with bomb bays open. He was no more than 300 feet up with that gaping belly wide open. Would not wish to be on the receiving end of one of those.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:07 AM
ETpilot

Flyer good luck on that air show. Lots of aviation history in your family. It would be a treat for you to see that B-29. I love air shows and have been to many. Air Venture in Oshkosh WI. tops my list. Sun n Fun in Florida comes in second. Lots of warbirds at those shows. Also a few other shows in between. My favorite warbird has to be the B-58 Hustler since I worked on them 3 ½ years. What a bomber.

Barksdale AFB is having its air show today and tomorrow. Weather is not cooperating. Weather is starting to build in your area and down just west of Dallas. Will be in my area this afternoon. Threat of severe weather. The ground is still not dry here. Yesterday I mowed along the road side. But I avoided the middle swale area. Too wet and fear of getting tractor stuck in the mud. Oh well, with rainy days maybe I can get this model finally finished. Just a CG test for equipment placement. Then finally cover the fuselage; last thing to cover, hooray!!!

acdii that had to be thrilling to see. Such power from an airplane. After September 11, I was mobilized and sent to NAS Key West, Florida. With my ties to Florida, of all places to send me. Anyway, one day a navy jet took off and made a straight up climb out of sight. Impressive to see. And yes you get to feel it too.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:06 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

ETpilot
It seems we were both on the tractors yesterday, I busted my start switch so I used a screwdriver and shorted the starter relay and managed to get 90 percent of my place cut before my body called it quits.

During my time on active duty I got to see a lot of action but my favorite times was spent repairing downed aircraft for return to base and got a lot of TDY time. I went to pick up a T-38 at Nellis A.F. Base and got to get up nice and cozy with the Blue Angels, Man the airmen worked hard everything was spit and polish to maintain the glory image. but the flying was out of sight.
My only regret was not trying out for flight crewman, I enjoyed traveling, a sargent from test flight tried out for flight crew and came back with snow white hair and balding (nerves)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:06 PM
ETpilot

Donny, yep mowing season is upon us. I still have much to do but weather is not helpful. The humidity was awful today. Worse to come. Lol. Any B-58 that landed at another base, usually a recovery team was sent out to bring it home. I did a few of those. It was a highly sophisticated airplane. Being a flight crew member would have been fun. We also has KC-135’s. I always thought being a boom operator would have been good duty.

The weather was on and off rain showers most of the day. The Barksdale air show lucked out on the weather. The Canadian Snowbirds were flying, saw them on local TV. I’ve seen them before. Weather system passing us now 8:30PM. Much later than forecast and not as bad as forecast.

I spent time in the shop. I reloaded my sanding blocks with new paper. They needed it. Then assembled the plane for a CG check. It came out just inside the rear CG mark, 7.5 pounds. So good to go. Still have a couple of thing to do up front then start covering. Forgot I still have to do ailerons too. Good progress here. Finally.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:55 AM
donnyman

I haven't put much time in my shop, it is a strange thing going on here I did some repairs on the furnace of my motorhome about a month ago and it tested fine, the day before yesterday it started on it's own and couldn't be shutdown until the gas was turned off and the fuse removed. It's that kind of thing that keeps me out of the shop, the good is the unit didn't burn to the tires.

Trying to get flite metal on compound curves is kicking my tail. my lack of skill is the biggest slowdown and foot and back pain doesn't help, I am going to reduce the detailing on my bird and try to get it off the bench, other projects are calling my name. I think I do not have the patients to do all the scale stuff so I will work around it.

I should have left this area as is but OH NO! it wasn't to scale so now I got a mess on my hands.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:57 AM
ETpilot

Donny, you were lucky with your motorhome. It could have been a disaster. You need to find the cause. Make sure your gas bottle is turned off when not in use. Scale models involve a lot of work and they take time. So I stay away from scale. I like to work on one plane at a time. Hopefully a quick build. Lots of interruptions has made this one my longest build.

Yesterday I was wrong about the weather. The system had moved thru the area but there was one, last, red cell still to pass and it was heading for my area. I stayed up and it hit around 11:30 PM. Well it turned out to be a powerful electrical storm. Hardly any wind, but the lightning lit up the night. The thunder shook the house. Raindrops were coming down gallon size. I have never seen so much rain from one storm cell. My Lab outside was going crazy. I tried to get her to stay in her doghouse as she normally does. Not for this storm. I finally let her into the house where she finally settled down. The storm took 45 minutes to pass and it put on a show. Rain gauge reads 3 3/4 inches.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

My Lab starts shaking like a paint can mixer at the first lightning strike and doesn't stop until it is all over. The wife told me I should pop for the B-29 tour when I go to the airshow. I think I will. It is a once in a lifetime event.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I drove 5 hours each way for a couple hour ride (including some front seat time) in a B-25 and it was worth every minute.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:58 AM
acdii

Spiders sure do love airplanes.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

My prized cockpit picture is of me from 1981 sitting in the pilot's seat of a Air France Concord. My father in-law was a buddy of the station Manager and he gave us a private tour one Saturday. Outside on the ground the airplane looked huge. The inside of the cabin was long but shorter and more narrow than I realized. A window seat required you to cock the head a bit if you were over 6 feet and the engineer had to stand up, fold his seat up, and press his/her body against the wall for the pilot and co-pilot to get out of their seats.

Mike
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 AM
donnyman

ETpilot
The motorhome almost disaster will have to wait for several other honeydo's, and you can believe the gas is turned off. everything but the gas was off when it ignited
scale modeling will be reduced in the future, the details are a slow downer but the size is a problem alsoI am quickly running out of space.

my son called me about that storm he was concerned also it must have been a doozy, nothing here last night but it is overcast and windy now the weather report says it will clear up later today but hot and muggy.
I still have grass to cut and vehicles to repair.............................
Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

BTW my point wasn't to brag that I got to fly a B-25
My point was that those memories will last a lot longer than the money it would take to do one of those once a lifetime things.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
BTW my point wasn't to brag that I got to fly a B-25
My point was that those memories will last a lot longer than the money it would take to do one of those once a lifetime things.
That was my take on it. I would love to pop for a B-29 ride but I think the upcoming trip to the cardiologist will kill that idea faster than the cost. I'm still playing catch up on medical bills. They say death and taxes are the only guarantees in life but I think medical cost are a close third. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary this weekend with a big party and renew of vows. We decided not to wait and do it for the 50th because the last two years have been filled with medical issues. We know we'll make the 40th but there is doubt on the 50th anniversary.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM
ETpilot

Hey Flyer. Happy Anniversary, the best to You and Wife.

It’s all about the memories. If you can’t make the ride, then make the visit.

Here is a B-29 in case you have not seen this.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

We have a lot of good memories of our life together so far and we continue to make them. Hmm... I don't think that B-29 will fit in my new Escape. Nice model for sure! I was lucky enough to catch the live webcast of Doc's fist flight after restoration in Wichita, KS.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 AM
BarracudaHockey

Happy Anniversary! 40 years is a great accomplishment in a day where you can practically get a divorce at Walmart in 30 minutes.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 AM
ETpilot

Donny good idea to keep the gas off until you troubleshoot the problem on the motorhome. It is a strange situation. You be careful.

Speaking of hot and muggy, yesterday I changed course a bit. I’m at the point I can’t handle the heat as I used to. I’ve wanted a roof cover over my slab to keep the sun off. I placed 4 steel posts for the job long ago. But it was an involved construction job. Being almost president of the procrastinators club, I always thought of the job tomorrow. Also, my Dodge truck has been without AC for about 4 years now. System has too large a leak. A scary trip in March said I need to get the AC fixed.

So, yesterday I got an opinion on a simpler roof cover and I’m starting on that project today. I’m getting parts pricing for a total AC system replacement. Hardest part of the work is you have to remove the dash panel. Fun fun. Hope it all doesn’t take too long. Then there is, as you say, the honeydo’s that need to get done. I’ll never finish the list. Lol.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:13 PM
acdii

I have been wanting to get my new FG-30 engines run in, have everything ready, just have to haul it upstairs and weigh it down, but, lets see, Saturday, install a new garage door opener, then a new refrigerator was delivered, by then too tired to do anything. Yesterday, I opened our bedroom door for some fresh air and found the gutter on the garage was about to get blown off. Got a ladder, screws and drill, and by the time 2 screws were in, it poured. Thankfully it cleared up and I was able to fully secure the gutter back in place, nearly lost a 40' section. Then there were other things that needed to get done, and the winds were pushing 40 MPH, so I said screw it, and stayed inside. My shoes were wet, too windy to do anything without risk, so nothing got done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.