Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
LOL I was out this weekend with the family on a mini vacation. We took the trailer to a campground we frequent at least once a year. Today we went to House on the Rock. I saw my reflection in the window and immediately thought, Hey I look just like Einstein too! I don't know why, but my hair was sticking out just like yours!
I'd recommend hair gel myself to stop that fly-away look.

Video of La Coupe 2019 here: https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons. Scroll down to "Video Coupe 2019."
Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Stress?
No I wasn't stressed but Ludo second from the right in the group picture above, opted out of the Limbo! He didn't want to risk damaging his beautiful grey and red model!
Old 09-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Some more stills of the event here, many of which were taken by a drone. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VxcVpoaHFoS2pB
Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I feel sorry for that poor guy who broke his fuselage in half.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It's gone very quiet on here.

Link to a brief article about La Coupe which appeared on the local television news. Our club president Roger Aubard may be seen at 0.45 adjusting Francois Dutreuil's Baron no. 279.

Reportage - Aéromodélisme : la 15ème coupe des barons fait son show - Reportage - TéléGrenoble
Old 09-20-2019, 05:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

With all the weather going around maybe they are all bailing water? I'm still working on my insurance claim so I get get my storm damaged fixed. I'm also looking into a generator and a shed to store it in. I'll only use it maybe once a year but I think it might be worth it.

I love the Baron with the fuselage taped together with duct tape!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 09-20-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

We could do with some of that water here. There hasn't been any substantial rain since 11th August when we drove down to Gueret for their fly-In.

Me? After harvesting the last of the tomatoes, I'm going flying.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:34 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi guys! It pleases me to see someone have a good time with his modeling. the honeydo's have me overwhelmed, literally! and that is made worse by the heat wave in effect here. say nothing of the old age thing.

Progress on my mustang is kinda slow but yesterday luck was on my side when I found out solvent removes stuck on tape adhesive from plastic without damage to the plastic, a smeary icky cleaning situation that ends in a clear canopy after a good soap and water wash. I will attempt to polish the plastic today.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey Donny, where are you in relation to Amarillo? We are planning an RV vacation for next year, and thinking June would be the best temp and weather wise. Is that a good time of year?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Just for you Donny, my next project I'm waiting for the Monokote to show up. The plan is for the airplane to match the new Saito. Eat your heart out you don't have this one! LOL

Old 09-20-2019, 11:27 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
With all the weather going around maybe they are all bailing water? I'm still working on my insurance claim so I get get my storm damaged fixed. I'm also looking into a generator and a shed to store it in. I'll only use it maybe once a year but I think it might be worth it.
I know there are lots of pro and con regarding HF tools. But, I have to recommend this HF generator. I purchased it a few years ago and has worked very well for me. A short time ago we had a substation go offline affecting east Texas and west Louisiana. This generator had not been started in a long time. Yet it started on the first pull. I can power all my needed appliance plus the well pump for water service. It has come to the rescue on a quite few occasions. Plus powers my tools in remote places.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:42 AM
acdii

Hearing a lot of good things about HF generators, including the inverter types that campers use. I have a few things from HF, the DA polisher is good, works very well, though noisy since it uses a grinder as the basic unit with the DA head attached, I also have a disc/belt sander. It works, but the motor lacks sufficient power to keep the belt going under forceful sanding, easy to stall the thing if I press too hard. I have a HVLP detail gun, it works good for certain types of paint, not really meant for high end production work, but good enough for what I use it for.

As with anything these days, it pays to research stuff.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:21 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have been looking around and I will powering electronics with it so an inverter type is needed. I wanted at least 7000 watts and a high degree of reliability. I have decided to go with the Honda EU7000is. I have a 20 year old Honda mower and if I can get that kind of reliability out generator I will only ever buy one.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:27 PM
acdii

Check out Champion too, they make really good units. I have a 3500 and it runs my camper with ease.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:32 PM
FlyerInOKC

I did check out Champion but there is a big difference in the noise level. I have to keep SWMBO happy and 74 dbs isn't going to do it.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:13 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I also have a disc/belt sander. It works, but the motor lacks sufficient power to keep the belt going under forceful sanding, easy to stall the thing if I press too hard.
Do you have the 4 x 36 disc belt sander? It could just be the belt tension. It's not set right on a lot of these right out of the box. I adjusted mine and it seems to do pretty well.
I started a thread over at "the other place" when I bought mine almost two years ago. The video in my first post has some good tips. One of my later posts shows how I totally voided the warranty, but made belt changes a WHOLE bunch easier!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lt-Disc-sander
Old 09-20-2019, 04:55 PM
acdii

Not sure, it might be. Belt is tight, the motor actually stalls if I press too hard. The disc works great though. The belt it comes with sucks, so changing it to a higher quality one with better grit will go a long way to making it easier to work with.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Benefit of your knowledge and experience with computers gentlemen. Did I mention that I'd donated a prize to the leading four-stroke pilot in La Coupe Des Barons? £25 worth of balsa in four-foot lengths. In France of course, balsa wood is sold in one metre lengths. I've got a picture of the winner somewhere on this computer but if I copy the image and try to move it to "My Pictures," I'm told that the "...path is too long." Of course they don't tell you HOW to shorten it. Any ideas?

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-20-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:29 AM
ETpilot

Not a computer expert, but try to see if you can email the picture to yourself. If that works you may be able to work with the picture. I email pictures to myself on occasion.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Brilliant!

Picture of the fourstroke winner, Mr Christophe Pierre, with his prize. He seems delighted! He only used an OS 40 Supass too. So much for my concerns about needing a 52 to be competitive.

Picture of your humble servant and my mechanic in conversation with the same gentleman earlier in the competition snapped by the official photographer.

You're up early ET Pilot!
Old 09-21-2019, 05:36 AM
donnyman

Hey Donny, where are you in relation to Amarillo? We are planning an RV vacation for next year, and thinking June would be the best temp and weather wise. Is that a good time of year?
That would be a nice trip.....but if the weather continues as it has lately, be sure your A/C is working it can get very hot here. I am south of Amarillo just outside of Austin. By then I hope my RV is on the road.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:45 AM
donnyman

A pink Saito? on a pink bipe? I'll have to think on that. did you paint that yourself or what? Anyway as many birds as I have in the build que I don't know if I will ever get to finish anything.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

As I looked at your pictures and video it came to me that the event you attended would require one to practice with his plane to improve his depth perception when flying it. and a .40 should be all that particular plane needs, for the power and fuel consumption considerations. being able to put your plane where you want it to be seems of prime importance, that requires one to practice to be familiar (comfortable) with his bird.

The La Coupe event seems to be very popular and well attended and enjoyed by all.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It certainly is Donny. I had been practising like mad familiarising myself with my model's capabilities especially at low altititude. On the day I over-leaned the engine for the first round and I got a dead-stick straight after the contest director's horn sounded the start of the event. In the pylon race I was going great guns when my tailplane started to vibrate and I was ordered to land after twelve circuits. A glue joint had failed where one of the hinges joined the tailplane. In the spot-landing event I ended up 4 ft (1.25 metres) short of the rectangle but only three pilots managed to land inside the rectangle and in the limbo I had an engine cut again after three or four minutes.

All my fault of course. I was using a 13x4prop for the first and last tests. Maybe that had something to do with it and I should have pinned all four of my hinges instead of just the outer two. Nevertheless you can see my model pass under the obstacle at 39.36 in the video and fly over it and to the right at 39.54.

At 37.54 you can see our club president crash into the post!
Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Brilliant!

You're up early ET Pilot!
Happy to see the email trick worked. I’m an early riser. Today it was around 3AM. Usually 4-5 AM for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.