The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 09-24-2019, 05:12 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, my Rascal was Orange and transparent burnt orange. My LT-40 and Cub are red white and blue. I do have another Cub that is in Cub yellow though, pretty much my only scale like plane I built. Everything else that is in correct color scheme are the ARF, at least for now. I have a metallic blue with checkerboard under wings 4*120.

SO, yeah, I'm #2.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:38 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When it comes to the color chosen for your machine it really only matters that you are satisfied, During ww2 many aircraft in Africa turned pink due to sun baking so pink isn't out in the war bird arena.
lately I have been considering some Flight Skinz over Flight Metal but The thickness is a factor also there is a Flight Skin product that appears to be a very thin fiberglass impregnated material that makes for a very smooth and strong surface. none of which falls into the cheap category but should not be overlooked. I opened some model dope I bet I bought over thirty years ago at auction it's still good! but many are of odd shades of green and such but I intend to use some very soon. the clear dope (nitrate) has turned brown but will be used as a base coat, the smell is strong and it brought back memories of the good old days. just have to keep my windows open while painting.

I am putting together two 1/2a controline Swordsman models to commemorate my sons first controline attempt which ended in seven exciting laps and one splat, over forty years ago, he was devastated! It has the original engine on it and will be painted green.

ET
when it comes to tools I will buy from H.F. in a heartbeat because I do not use my tools that often But if I intended long term usage or for a business I would consider other products I have a lot of HF tools.

Last edited by donnyman; 09-27-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:45 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my new Winegard up. Don't even have it aligned, just pointed in the general direction and the signal quality is great. Picking up just about every Rockford station, with only a couple VHF channels that pixelate from one station. Still trying to locate the controller for the rotater, and need to run new cabling once the distribution amplifier arrives. Then I will consider getting an OTR DVR like the Fire TV one.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:56 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I got my new Winegard up. Don't even have it aligned, just pointed in the general direction and the signal quality is great. Picking up just about every Rockford station, with only a couple VHF channels that pixelate from one station. Still trying to locate the controller for the rotater, and need to run new cabling once the distribution amplifier arrives. Then I will consider getting an OTR DVR like the Fire TV one.
Oh oh! There goes the building time!

Donny, if I recall correctly the RAF had a Spitfire used for recon work painted pink.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:44 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh no, there is more building time with the DVR! Then I have more to watch while building!
Old 09-27-2019, 02:20 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I always liked some background something when I was doing my building . I never noticed that it slowed me down or messed with my work , in fact I think it helped keep me calm and pay attention to the job at hand . Even tho I don't build much any more ( just repair lol ) I still like my TV or some music in the background . Red
Old 09-27-2019, 04:45 PM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Donny I have a combination of good tools and then HF tools. I think HF tools are getting to be of a better quality. I have broken a few hand tools. The 4 ĹĒ angle grinder has worked well. I have several and finally wore out the oldest model about a year ago. It had lasted many years. I buy HF since they are inexpensive. I try to buy pawn shop used tools for cutting and making special tools. But I have used HF tools for special tools on occasion.

Acdii, my TV signal goes thru a Magnavox DVR then to a distribution system which is also connected to the Directv DVR receiver. I also have a Phillips DVR in a bedroom. The Directv remote lets me control the receiver from anywhere in the house and also out in the shop. The other DVRs lets me play or record programs and make DVDs. Also copy DVDs. It was a pretty good setup until this roof job. Now Iím just on Directv until I get an antenna up.

I just need to do some lettering on this plane of mine then all the covering will be done. Finally.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:00 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post

... Donny, if I recall correctly the RAF had a Spitfire used for recon work painted pink.
I prefer the camouflaged ones myself. Can't imagine why?
Old 09-30-2019, 04:08 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have finished the basic fuselage construction of the Big Guff. The engine is simply placed on the bearers just to see what it would look like. It is not bolted in place. I should be able to move it backwards a little. Sorry about the untidy workshop, typical of a creative personality I'm told! I have built the door for the starboard side but cannot find it in the mess! 😛

What I did manage to find was several sheets of nice red tissue. I don't know where I got them from but I was tempted to cover the fuselage in tissue. That would mean ordering dope. Nitrate, butyl, water-based? Do I give it a coat of sanding sealer first? Covering the lot in Solartex would be much easier!
Old 09-30-2019, 05:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! That's a lot of guff!
Old 09-30-2019, 10:26 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! That's a lot of guff!
It sure is!

Mind you, I've made up my mind about the covering. I've just seen my bank balance and I recieved my Taxe Fonciere bill yesterday so the cost of buying sanding sealer, cellulose thinner, brushes and dope is now out of the question! Moreover, I haven't used tissue for sixty years so I could make a complete horlicks of applying it and as the Big Guff is such an important project to me, I think I'll stick with the Solartex. I'm thinking of building a Guidato at some stage. I'll reserve the red tissue for that. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7378 I may even use it over mylar!

P.S. I found the door. It was inside the fuselage all the time!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-30-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wher are you going to get Solartex I thought they quit making it? I hear BalsaUSA wanted to buy it out but the equipment was so old it couldn't survive shipping overseas. They started carrying Oratex instead.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wher are you going to get Solartex I thought they quit making it? I hear BalsaUSA wanted to buy it out but the equipment was so old it couldn't survive shipping overseas. They started carrying Oratex instead.
I have quite a bit of Solartex in stock. I have over two metres of Dark Green/Olive Drab Solartex which I have no plans for, so Dark Green it is.

Is Oratex available in different colours? Only White and Antique seem to be available here.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know Balsa USA carries 10 colors and Tower/Horizon offer all 13 colors. Natural White, White, Light Grey, Antique, Olive Drab, Corsair Blue, Fokker Red, Cub Yellow, Bluewater, Sky Blue, Orange, Black, and Silver. Here is a photo showing mst of them

Mike
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am impressed with the picture of all the covering stuff, I have a bunch myself but from various sources because I get mine at swap meets. rarely do I paint a model like the box because I am too cheap to buy new paint so I use what is on hand for most part.

That pink spitfire, that was the first pink warbird I saw then read a article that mentioned how the sun caused the paint to change color.

the past few days I got some shop time in and have the controline models clear doped so maybe i can get my king kobra completed, as far as the mustang go's it is constantly being worked on, currently the exhaust manifolding is a slowdown because I cannot satisfy my desire to make it look "non awkward?" no matter what it always comes out looking odd. as soon as I can overcome the weirdness I will be able to complete the covering and get to the wings. There is a lot of modeling needed in my shop
Old 10-02-2019, 06:39 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pink was used by the Desert squadrons to blend in with the early morning and late evening skies so they would be hard to see from above, and had blue bellies to blend in with the sky. They were trained to fly under clouds and down low to take advantage of the reds that happen during those hours.

Some of the desert tans also faded into a pink hue when the blue washed out from sun fade.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:27 PM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a little problem. Trying to finish up this airplane. I was ready to glue on the vertical stabilizer and rudder. When I fit the piece there was a gap and it didnít sit flat on the horizontal stabilizer. A close inspection revealed that the lower stab rail had developed a slight curve. Probably from sitting around so long and the covering pulled that rail piece into a curve. I should have added a vertical support piece to keep the frame straight. Lesson learned. Iím going to shape a square stock to glue in place and fill the gap.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:46 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Pink was used by the Desert squadrons to blend in with the early morning and late evening skies so they would be hard to see from above, and had blue bellies to blend in with the sky. They were trained to fly under clouds and down low to take advantage of the reds that happen during those hours.

Some of the desert tans also faded into a pink hue when the blue washed out from sun fade.
Live and learn, it's like the night fighters painted a gloss black because when stuck by light did not produce a halo affect like flat black did.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:50 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got that spacer shaped and glued to bottom of vertical stabilizer. Trial fit looks pretty good. Next Iíll drill holes for bamboo skewer pieces. These will help hold the glued spacer to the stabilizer bottom rail. They will also go down into the horizontal stabilizer to hold the V stab. and rudder in place. May add triangle stock to sides. Not sure at this point, need to wait until the V stab. Is glued in place.

A cold front came thru this morning. It sure feels good. Goodbye high temperatures!!!

Old 10-08-2019, 05:10 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The lower temps. is a nice change so now we can freeze our butts off.

That corrections looks ok I hope it has enough strength to hold.

I am putting the finishing touches on two 1/2A controline models I should not have started (too many other projects in the works) but they will be out of the way as soon as I mount the engines.
It took a lot of brain noodling but I thing I now have the exhaust for my mustang worked out, at least to my satisfaction, when that's finished the covering can be completed on the fuselage. I am unsure of how I will finish the wings surfaces, flitemetal is costly and I am not sure what the detailing will look like with flitemetal.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
The lower temps. is a nice change so now we can freeze our butts off.

That corrections looks ok I hope it has enough strength to hold.

I am putting the finishing touches on two 1/2A controline models I should not have started (too many other projects in the works) but they will be out of the way as soon as I mount the engines.
It took a lot of brain noodling but I thing I now have the exhaust for my mustang worked out, at least to my satisfaction, when that's finished the covering can be completed on the fuselage. I am unsure of how I will finish the wings surfaces, flitemetal is costly and I am not sure what the detailing will look like with flitemetal.
Donny you might try AeroFoil it is sold by the foot so you could buy a small amount ad experiment with it. I have some I am going to use on my Ryan SC if I ever get it built. It is less expensive than Flitemetal and also a little thinner.

Mike

Aero Accessories Ltd - Building Accessories
Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Donny you might try AeroFoil it is sold by the foot so you could buy a small amount ad experiment with it. I have some I am going to use on my Ryan SC if I ever get it built. It is less expensive than Flitemetal and also a little thinner.

Mike

Aero Accessories Ltd - Building Accessories
I will look into aerofoil, so many different products are out there and each has it's own methods of application. It took a while for me to just get used to handling flight metal. also, the thinner films show defects very easily I have a few spots I am not happy with due to defects beneath the covering I had not detected. removing that stuff isn't easy either. and for the most part cannot be reused. maybe I'll post a pic or two.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you do your rivet detailing first the thinner stuff will let it b seen better.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:46 PM
donnyman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes, I assume you mean put the rivet detail in the surface before covering with the metal, My intent was to put the details in the metal, but I have some surface still to be covered and I will put in the rivets first and see how it turns out.

thanks for the thought.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Of course you could always try Litho plate. There is a guy on the RCScalebuilders forum who has plated his P-47 with it. Looks really good, but man, that is a lot of work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service