Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

A bit of news for you gentlemen. When back in England in September I bought my first successful radio controlled model aircraft back from my cousin Nick, to whom I had sold it about twenty years ago. Nick's father, my Uncle Geoff, was the man who taught me how to build models but he died of cancer, when Nick was only a baby and Nick has never taken up aeromodelling. Cycling is his thing, he was a junior champion when younger, so he agreed to sell the model back to me. I'm really quite excited about getting it to fly again!

My first r/c model was something called a "Gemini" but it was not a success. It was a 50 inch wingspan three-channel trainer powered by an Irvine 20 which had once powered a model racing car. It was too fast and small for my reactions so I built a Junior 60, a 60 inch vintage model, and put the engine and radio into it. The model was much slower and so I learned to fly r/c.

I can remember recovering the model in Orange Solartex before I sold the model but I can't remember why I left the tailplane in white, actually Neutral Solartex. I probably just ran out of orange. However, having picked up the model it appears that I must have used it quite a bit before selling it, for everything was covered in solid, congealed castor oil! Even the receiver and the servos! The first job therefore was to clean the model. I used both petrol and methylated spirit (de-natured alcohol) for that. Then I removed the small and extremely noisy two-stroke I had fitted and substituted an HP VT 25 four-stroke, which is the engine I used to use. There is a warp in the wing which I will deal with later today and I hope to fly the model tomorrow.

Pictures attached showing the model after cleaning, believe it or not!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior Sixty (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	138
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2185332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior Sixty (Small).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2185333  
Old 10-11-2016, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The plane is in great shped for being stored for so long.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well guys, I owe you a huge apology. Why should I apologize to you? Give me a second and I'll explain. I've been a member of RCU from almost the time it began, and I've been some type of Administrator for a good portion of that time as well. I started spending a lot of time here in the Beginner's Forum in order to help people get started in the hobby. During my time here I struck up a friendship with another of RCU's Moderators that later turned into my best friend and closest confidant, Mike Buzzeo.. a.k.a. Minnflyer. Between the two of us we vowed that the Beginner's Forum would remain a friendly place where people getting started in the RC Flying hobby (as well as RCU) could come and get the advice they needed to get started. We realized that many times if somebody came here and got treated badly they could very well leave RCU and quite possibly the RC hobby forever. So we made sure this forum remained a very friendly and open place for everybody and there were no restrictions for anybody. This Forum was to remain exactly what is is labeled in the Forum listings

Beginners

Beginners in RC start here for help.
In addition to Mike and my efforts the RCU Community Rules also come into play about what is posted in a forum:
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
Although discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the thread and related to the forum you are submitting your message.

• RCUniverse's chosen language is English. All other languages are subject to removal.
  • Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another. RCUniverse.com is focused on R/C. Accordingly, topics must remain R/C related.
We do not permit political, social, religious, or other off-topic discussions. There are many places online to express your opinions on issues outside of RC so "RC" Universe is designed to be a place to talk just about RC.

But when Mike died unexpectedly several years ago it hit me pretty hard. Going into the Beginner's Forum was actually pretty painful for me as it reminded me of Mike and how hard his death hit me. So I relied on others to watch the forum and what was going on. And unfortunately that allowed a thread such as this to slip in. My apology to the members of this thread is simply that I let it run so long before I took action on it. It has ran for 2 years now. In actuality it shouldn't have ran for 2 days, let alone 2 years and I apologize for not taking any actions before now. However I have had several people recently point this thread out to me and it's time for me to take actions on it.

This thread has no place whatsoever in the Beginner's Forum. The Beginner's Forum is exactly that, for Beginner's. Can you imagine what a beginner in the hobby thinks when they open up the forum and the first thread they see is one labeled for "Old times" and for "50+ years old only"? It makes them feel very unwelcome and like we don't want to help them at all. And that is not what RCU is about at all. Our sole purpose in the Beginner's Forum is to help Beginner's, period. Not a clubhouse for a the Old Guys to sit around and talk about old airplanes and such.

So I am moving this thread. I am moving the thread to the "The Clubhouse" Forum. This should have been the place that this thread was started up in the first place. That forum is a general sort of chatroom that doesn't have any specific topic and is for people to discuss anything they want to.

A direct link to the new thread is here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...ears-only.html

If you have any questions concerning this move please feel free to ask them.

Ken

Last edited by RCKen; 10-12-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

When I started this thread The same thought struck me but when I mentioned moving it I was told "if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It does not matter to me where this thread is located as long as those involved stick with it. my hope is others don 't get lost.

OH! I hope those bothered by the old location feel better now!

Last edited by donnyman; 10-12-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was afraid I was about to loose contact with you guys.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
When I started this thread The same thought struck me but when I mentioned moving it I was told "if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It does not matter to me where this thread is located as long as those involved stick with it. my hope is others don 't get lost.

OH! I hope those bothered by the old location feel better now!
I'm with Donny, I think we have outgrown the Beginner's area move this sucker!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

The process is seamless, the thread subscription stays in place just all future notifications have a link to the new spot.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
So I am moving this thread. I am moving the thread to the "The Clubhouse" Forum. This should have been the place that this thread was started up in the first place. That forum is a general sort of chatroom that doesn't have any specific topic and is for people to discuss anything they want to. A direct link to the new thread is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/11607413-old-timers-look-here-must-50-years-only.html If you have any questions concerning this move please feel free to ask them. Ken
Not a problem, Ken. Thanks for retaining the integrity of the thread. Who knows, we may gain a greater audience by relocation in RCU. I'd say fair enough, life continues. Few decisions in life are fatal.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:55 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey Ken! Where you been and wheres that Wonder you were to build?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:13 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCKen
Well guys

So I am moving this thread. I am moving the thread to the "The Clubhouse" Forum. This should have been the place that this thread was started up in the first place. That forum is a general sort of chatroom that doesn't have any specific topic and is for people to discuss anything they want to.

A direct link to the new thread is here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...ears-only.html

If you have any questions concerning this move please feel free to ask them.

Ken
Ken I went to the club house and did not find it so will it take some time ?

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-13-2016, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by rt3232

Cheers Bob T
Take another look Bob its there. Look at the banner above too.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry to hear of your loss Ken. It's an experience which becomes all too common the older we get.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Sorry to hear of your loss Ken. It's an experience which becomes all too common the older we get.
Yes, this is true and my condolences to friends and family of late Mike Buzzeo. It was only 44 years ago that I graduated from high school, and although not quite a senior by national standards, have already seen a number of friends and acquaintances pass on due to accident, cancer, various illnesses and etc.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232

Cheers Bob T
Not sure why you didn't see it in The Clubhouse forum, but it there. I left a trace thread in The Beginner's Forum that will stay there for a month so that anybody looking for your thread will see that and be able to click on it and be taken here to the new location.

Ken
Old 10-14-2016, 01:52 PM
rt3232

Ok I found it but I have to say it was NOT there the day I looked. That said it seams I and few others have had some slooooow server problems ie: century link. But I am good now

Cheers Bob T

PS A question I am in the process of building struts for my new cub, I am planning on C/F rods inside of shaped aluminum tubes , and as the tubes are easy to damage I have been looking at filling them with expanding foam or epoxy with mirco balloons.

So what do you guys think or better suggestions.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:20 PM
FlyerInOKC

I could see Microballoons and epoxy at the ends but not the entire length. Expanding foam would keep the CF rod from moving but that's about it. I think I would do foam in the middle and epoxy and Microballoons. If you are using CF Tube and threaded rod for mounting have it extend into the CR Tube. Just my 2 cents.

Mike
Old 10-15-2016, 04:32 AM
rt3232

FOKC aka Mike That has kinda been my plan, I did take a piece of left over shaped tube a piece of C/F,
Used the red can from H/D as that is the toughest, after setting for 2 days I can still dene the tube but it is not easy, did the same thing with epoxy and micro balloons, the big difference is the weigh these test samples were the left over rod and tube each piece was 5 " long so I figured they were a fare test samples So I now have a plan.

Thanks for your input

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I went with three other members of my club to the Gueret club's October Interclubs yesterday; I took the Junior 60 with me. The meeting was dominated by people flying large petrol enginned models and large gliders which were towed by tugs of various sizes including one with a 170cc twin cylinder engine. In the past I've competed in motorcycle trials and road racing events on machines with smaller engines!

At first I could not get the engine to start but a new glowplug sorted that out. I was trying out a 9x5 prop on the HP VT 25 and it didn't produce enough power to unstick. I had flown my Fun Fly and Foam-E WOT 4 earlier in the day but the venue was too busy to permit experimenting with newly unfamiliar models so we went back to our own club site at about 18.00, where we agreed to hand-launch the model. I'm pleased to report that it flew very well but required full right trim and the holding in of some right stick to get it to fly in a straight line; the warp has returned but it's not as severe as it was. I will try putting heavy weights on the wing, twisting it against and beyond the warp and applying heat to the Solartex again. The club's best pilot, my mate Roger Aubard, had a go on the sticks and managed to fly it well despite the fact that he's a Mode 1 pilot and I'm Mode 2! Like all vintage models, the Junior 60 flys very slowly, and the HP is very economical. After a ten-minute flight I still had 2 ozs of fuel left in the 4 oz fuel tank.

Some pictures of the Interclubs to follow.

One question for your assembled wisdom. If I were to remove the Solartex covering from the wing and recover it, would the warp re-appear?

Any advice on removing warps gratefully received.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 AM
mortyspals
My Feedback: (47)

RE: Wing warps. I noticed several of you folks had wing warping issues. I learned early on in building to replace any balsa wing spars with Basswood or Spruce. Yes, it is harder & slower to build with them as carpenters's woods glues work best in these applications....but I can assure you that any wing warping problems you may have had in the past will be remedied. Neal Smith Alexandria, Va. Some of my Vintage Aircraft builds can be seen here on R.C.U. under my name, mortyspals-Gallery. Currently working on an 84 in Klarich short kit of a Double Diamond Demon. Happy, safe flying. Neal
Old 10-17-2016, 05:19 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure have missed Mike Buzzeo, he was always good for a laugh online and off, Ken you and he have been great teachers over the years, I finally just stayed with the ones where there is little to no bickering, I have been in this hobby for sometime and am still learning. Lots of great teachers on these forums, thank you all for that! Bob
Old 10-17-2016, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well guys it finally happened I got some build time this weekend on the DR.1 project. I dropped about $20 to $30 this week buying Ply, Bass, and Balsa to replace missing or too hard parts. This being a kit from the 1970s I got the joy of cutting out die cut parts, have I been spoiled by laer cut parts? HECK YEAH! I got the missing wire tabs added on the Cabanas, made a replacement grooved block for the rear cabana mount, built the spreader box for the gear and corrected the bend of the gear wires. I swear VK bent the gear by hand at least it looked that way. I cut out the straps and soldiered the gear together and mounted the wires to the spreader box. I made up the axles and actually go the fuselage sitting on the gear (the 1 pict I forgot to take). As you can see from the pictureI prefer Hairpin cotter pins to the old straight ones you bend. It took 2 auto parts stores to find some small ones in stock. As you can see the die crushed..er... I mean die cut parts were cut out and when I went to test fit them the slot was too narrow! I blame the kit as you can see the joints are tight on the box, that or vintage balsa shrinkage since the kit was made back int the 1970s. Maybe I can gert Trump to say its rigged like the election, I never knew that your opponent getting more votes could be considered rigging the election?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100810.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	2186234   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100811.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2186235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100812.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2186236   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100813.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2186237  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:58 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I went with three other members of my club to the Gueret club's October Interclubs yesterday; I took the Junior 60 with me. The meeting was dominated by people flying large petrol enginned models and large gliders which were towed by tugs of various sizes including one with a 170cc twin cylinder engine. In the past I've competed in motorcycle trials and road racing events on machines with smaller engines!

At first I could not get the engine to start but a new glowplug sorted that out. I was trying out a 9x5 prop on the HP VT 25 and it didn't produce enough power to unstick. I had flown my Fun Fly and Foam-E WOT 4 earlier in the day but the venue was too busy to permit experimenting with newly unfamiliar models so we went back to our own club site at about 18.00, where we agreed to hand-launch the model. I'm pleased to report that it flew very well but required full right trim and the holding in of some right stick to get it to fly in a straight line; the warp has returned but it's not as severe as it was. I will try putting heavy weights on the wing, twisting it against and beyond the warp and applying heat to the Solartex again. The club's best pilot, my mate Roger Aubard, had a go on the sticks and managed to fly it well despite the fact that he's a Mode 1 pilot and I'm Mode 2! Like all vintage models, the Junior 60 flys very slowly, and the HP is very economical. After a ten-minute flight I still had 2 ozs of fuel left in the 4 oz fuel tank.

Some pictures of the Interclubs to follow.

One question for your assembled wisdom. If I were to remove the Solartex covering from the wing and recover it, would the warp re-appear?

Any advice on removing warps gratefully received.

Hi Telemaster Sales,

My experience with Solartex tells me that it doesn't have any torsional strength. If the wing is allowed to twist, the Solartex will not stop this. The best you can do is uncover the wing and twist it back beyond the correction you need to make the wing straight. Then reply the bottom Solartex first and then the top covering while you still hold the required twist in the wing. This might take out the twist without rebuilding the entire wing. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Larry/Instructor
Old 10-17-2016, 06:41 AM
acdii

Well, you know what they say in Chicago, Vote early, vote often, and there are a lot of dead voters are in Chicago too! Anyway, that looks like a fun kit to assemble. I am getting tired of repairing planes, and am considering starting the Ziroli B-25 I have sitting under my bench. That is only if I don't get the Rascal in the next couple weeks.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:43 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Instructor
Hi Telemaster Sales,

My experience with Solartex tells me that it doesn't have any torsional strength. If the wing is allowed to twist, the Solartex will not stop this. The best you can do is uncover the wing and twist it back beyond the correction you need to make the wing straight. Then reply the bottom Solartex first and then the top covering while you still hold the required twist in the wing. This might take out the twist without rebuilding the entire wing. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Larry/Instructor
My Cub wings were both twisted and no matter what I tried, I could not untwist them. I have no idea why one wing off each Cub warped, the board is perfectly flat, and they were fully pinned when glued. :shrug: Both are covered in Koverall too.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:05 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hello gentlemen

It seems to me everything is in good shape after the move and we have some new folks with us, WELCOME!

Wing warps ........ I have not had many problems with warps but the way my friends have removed them permanently is with heat.
twist the warp in the oposite direction and apply heat or heat then twist, hold it this way until it has cooled and things should improve. my friend heated his top flight mustang wing in moms oven, twisted it until cooled and solved his problem. try it.

Flyerinokc

Glad to hear you got some build time in, Me too, feels good huh? I keep forgetting to take pics. like you did but I will correct that soon. the pics I took were too big and the site rejected them.

acdii
Been eyeballing the ziroli B-25 also but I don't have the L.G. so it will have to wait. I have about ten others ready but I'm so slow.......... The Ryobi weed whacker engines look like they will fit real good and I have several of them. try some heat on those wings ..lemme no if it works for ya

Last edited by donnyman; 10-17-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.