Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 10-17-2016, 01:05 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
My Cub wings were both twisted and no matter what I tried, I could not untwist them. I have no idea why one wing off each Cub warped, the board is perfectly flat, and they were fully pinned when glued. :shrug: Both are covered in Koverall too.
Acdii might I suggest something I have done, I propped both ends so I could get my heat gun under the wing , I then used std. door shims to get the twist outplus one shim to get some over twist I used about 20 lbs of shot bags on the rout end the heating a bit on both side ,and adding shot bags at the tip end cept heating till tip was down on the shim and all of the wrinkles were gone, at this point the whole panel was all most hot left it till the next day.
After removing all of the shot bags laid the wing on my table top and found I had about a 1/32 reverse warp the was wash out so I left it and the bird flew great for about 5 years, till I lost the elevator servo, so it self destroyed including the engine(sieto 150 golden Knight)

Try it it might work for you

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-17-2016, 01:10 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Heat!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, the Cub flies so well that I aint gonna touch it. The other Cub was my Biper, which never made it past the Maiden and is TBR. Maybe I will try to fix the ing on that one, but if it matches the warp of the other Cub, not going to touch it. I used Aileron to adjust for the twist, so you can see them at neutral, they are not.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 PM
SKYPILEIT
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember Ambroids glue and stick built planes from waay back. My first was a Flying CLown C/L kit.We had a lot of fun with that one.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I really miss Ambroid glue. I hate this dam CA but is all I can get now that works.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fumes of CA glue is like brain freeze to the eyes, anytime I use it I turn a small fan on and it keeps the fumes out of the eyes and nose.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:46 AM
acdii

I use thin to tack and Titebond II or III to glue. I hit it with a heat gun to speed it up at times to avoid puddles, doesn't always work though.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

I like to use a combination of the BSI Gold C (thin and medium) with Titebond. I don't have the problems with the fumes like with the regular CA.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

I use alyphatic glue for most jobs, PVA white glue when I'm in full cheapskate mode, epoxy for areas which take a bit of a pounding like undercarriages and cyano for light repairs. I'm lucky in that I'm not affected by cyano fumes.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

I don't think there is any one glue right for everything and more than one right glue depending on the job, like you I use a mixture of different glues. I know guys who build with all CA except for joining wings, gear, and firewalls and then they break out the epoxy. It's like covering with fiberglass there are a number of different resins to choose from and it comes down to personal preference.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hairy46
I sure have missed Mike Buzzeo, he was always good for a laugh online and off, Ken you and he have been great teachers over the years, I finally just stayed with the ones where there is little to no bickering, I have been in this hobby for sometime and am still learning. Lots of great teachers on these forums, thank you all for that! Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the kinds words. The loss of Minnflyer hit my like a ton of bricks. When he and I met here on RCU we struck up an instant friendship that spanned online as well into the real world. We worked very well together and we able to compliment each other in the areas that we covered and we both enjoyed sharing and trying to teach and help as many people as we could. When he died it really hit me hard. That was a really rough week for me. I was talking with him on a Monday morning planning our trip to cover the annual Toledo show, and then that evening I got the call that he had passed. It ended up that I had to cover the show alone that year with no help, and man that was hard because not only was I alone but I was dealing with the loss of Mike too!!!!

And to add to what you all are talking about, I'm an young old timer, 51!!!. I'm the odd ball that I prefer to use Elmer's Carpenters Glue when I build. I feel that I get better builds as it gives stronger joints and gives me more time to position the joint before it sets. The only time I will use CA is when I'm hardening threads cut in wood or when I'm doing a review and the instructions call for CA. Or if a kit was designed for CA. That sounds odd, but I am currently working on the SR Batteries Eindecker and the spars are carbon fiber rods. They are designed for the ribs to be attached to them with CA and there really isn't any other way to do it. I wish there was because I really hate working with CA. I just don't like the fumes.

Ken
Old 10-18-2016, 10:42 AM
donnyman

I have never used titebond! is it a fast setting medium or more like ambroid?

medium CA is my mainstay thin ca on occasion with epoxy for structual stuff. I have found elmers glue to work wonders when I am not in a rush. I am preparing to use gorilla glue on the king kobra foam core wing skins but only epoxy to join them.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:11 PM
acdii

Titebond is strong but like elmers, slow to cure and runs. The III is waterproof so works great in boats, but dried hard brownish yellow, so if you want to use transparent covering, the joints will stand out. I have never had a joint fail using Titebond, in fact the few major crashes I had caused me grief trying to fix due to the tough glue joints. That stuff is a pain to remove once bonded to the wood.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:34 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I really miss Ambroid glue. I hate this dam CA but is all I can get now that works.
Ambroid cement is still available. Google it up and find it's history, current uses, and sources.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:10 AM
donnyman

Titebond is strong but like elmers, slow to cure and runs. The III is waterproof so works great in boats, but dried hard brownish yellow, so if you want to use transparent covering, the joints will stand out. I have never had a joint fail using Titebond, in fact the few major crashes I had caused me grief trying to fix due to the tough glue joints. That stuff is a pain to remove once bonded to the wood.
Thanks for responding! I prefer to have the opinion of others before trying somethig new, it sounds like Titebond and Elmers are in the same box, I may try it if I get the chance.

Spaceworm
Yes Ambroid is available but last I remember the price went sky high and I prefer CA over it.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:22 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Another cellulose glue alternative to Ambroid is Sigment. I've also used Duco Cement, but don't know its availability now. I've found both Titebond carpenter glue and competitors, and white Elmer's to work satisfactorily. Titebond is easier sandable, thus preferred.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:32 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

DUCO cement if readily available "here" in the local hardware stores. I'm pretty sure every plane I've ever built has had DUCO in it - love the stuff!!!! However, I'm also pretty sure every plane I've ever built has had 2-3 different epoxys, one or another "white" wood glue (Titebond II for the past 30 years) and now several different CAs too.

They all work great for one thing or another - and they get used that way. It's how you get a 1974-built plane to stay together and in the air for 42 years.
(1967-designed CG Sr Falcon, built 1974, latest restoration 2015).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1765-75pct.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	2186402  
Old 10-19-2016, 06:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Do you use the green label or the yellow label DUCO?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:02 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just as a note I have used over the years ( 70 ) + most all of the glues at times and now prefer Titebond vary slightly thinned, as it penetrates wood better then med-Ca and of corse 30 min epocy other than hobby poxey. other wise it is a matter of personal choise.

Now I will go lay down by my dish and watch

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
DUCO cement if readily available "here" in the local hardware stores. I'm pretty sure every plane I've ever built has had DUCO in it - love the stuff!!!!...
I think we all loved the "stuff". Likely why we are all a little "different". I myself have peripheral neuropathy that may be related to breathing all the fumes, including dope, banana oi, acetone, chlorinated hydrocarbons, brake fluid, gasoline, cyanated catalysts, etc etc etc.

Sincerely, Richard
[h=2]"Always on, a little off"[/h]
Old 10-19-2016, 11:30 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I think we all loved the "stuff". Likely why we are all a little "different". I myself have peripheral neuropathy that may be related to breathing all the fumes, including dope, banana oi, acetone, chlorinated hydrocarbons, brake fluid, gasoline, cyanated catalysts, etc etc etc.
I really loved to dope aircraft covering and balsa, also paint cars, smell was so pleasing. May be that is why I was always happy when building and painting as a teen.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:49 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I really loved to dope aircraft covering and balsa, also paint cars, smell was so pleasing. May be that is why I was always happy when building and painting as a teen.
I think that may hold true to everybody who used this stuff. Makes you feel good, and I found, does not affect the memory. In fact, smelling Dope brings back memories!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 AM
donnyman

I think that may hold true to everybody who used this stuff. Makes you feel good, and I found, does not affect the memory. In fact, smelling Dope brings back memories!
Hallucinations?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:07 AM
acdii

Nah, but memories of when I was a kid and building the Guillows planes and using dope to cover them. Certain songs trigger memories when I was building models while listening to WLS AM when they played music.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I searched again for Ambroid and no luck. In the early 1960's I was in high school I built my Ringmasters, Veco Chief , Voodos ,a Pitts Little Stinker and a 6' Brekely CUB listening on a little red 5 tube radio to WLS and KOMA .

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 10-20-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.