Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:18 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I searched again for Ambroid and no luck. In the early 1960's I was in high school I built my Ringmasters, Veco Chief , Voodos ,a Pitts Little Stinker and a 6' Brekely CUB listening on a little red 5 tube radio to WLS and KOMA .

Search for "Ambroid Cement" online. Many sources listed and also interesting history of it's original use for building birchbark canoes.

BTW, I grew up in Wichita in the 50's. Flew FF and UC, and rc boats. Moved east in 1955.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I remember the Cowsills - Hair, The Rain & Park & Things, Don't Walk Away Renee, John Fogerty & Credence Clearwater Revival - all their tunes, The Rascals - How Can I Be Sure, Groovin', Mustang Sally, The Midnight Hour, Tommy James & the Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion, Zager & Evans - In the Year 2525, Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass and etc. Yup, those were model building music along with the earlier 1960's and 1950's golden oldies.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:11 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Nah, but memories of when I was a kid and building the Guillows planes and using dope to cover them. Certain songs trigger memories when I was building models while listening to WLS AM when they played music.
Back in the mid 70's when I was about 12-13 I had an AM/FM dial radio with two screws on the back for an external antenna. I hooked up a long piece of TV antenna wire and wrapped some aluminum foil around it. Late at night I could pick up stations from New Orleans, Little Rock, Denver, Dallas, and yes, WLS out of Chicago. Those were the days.
It's hard to believe that was over 40 years ago. November 1st I'll hit the big double nickel. Only 10 more years to a permanent vacation!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

52 on Saturday, so not far behind. Larry Lujack and Animal Stories, Bob Sirrott, and Fred Winston. Grew up listening to these guys on WLS, and remember waiting for a song I liked to come on so I could record it on cassette.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:26 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but Walk Away Renee was not the Cowsills. That was The Left Bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqAh1dQu_pg

I was born in 1957 and have been building model airplanes of one sort or another since age 8. And the radio was always on. I used to stay up weekends till 3 or 4 in the morning building control line models and had the radio playing in the garage on station KFJZ in the DFW area. I love rock n roll.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to reminisce a bit , So I watched mickey mouse shows with my kids and thelike, back in my day it was the whistler and tom mix on the radio, we built comet kits that came with rice paper for covering and a small tube of ambroid glue so like my granddad used to say any one 20 years younger than him was wiper snapper, so I guess now at 84 you guys are wiper snappers so in joy every thing you do I have and do.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Only 10 more years to a permanent vacation!
What's the retirement age in the USA?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by ratshooter
Sorry but Walk Away Renee was not the Cowsills. That was The Left Bank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqAh1dQu_pg
They may have been the originators, but the Cowsills version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BjJq_yO-Q is the one I remember. Song was also done by Herman's Hermits.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:22 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Retirement age - whenever we feel secure enough to tell the boss where he/she can shove it. "Officially" (US Govt) 65 or so.

WLS - Chicago. Back in the mid-1950s I used to listen to WCFL - Chicago on my kit-built AM radio. Got in trouble with dad many a night for that.

Tried, some time ago, to find records for WCFL - don't seem to be any. Hmmmmm...
Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Attached a few pictures of the Gueret interclubs from last Sunday as promised.

The group photograph shows only a few of the models and pilots who turned up. The elderly gentleman in the braces and pale grey trousers in the middle of the picture flew the large chrome yellow glider in the foreground. I'm not sure whether this model is an ARTF or whether it has been built from a kit or plan. He is not particularly short but on account of his great age, he is unable to stand upright. Because of his disability, he had to fly the model looking over his left shoulder.

Your humble servant is on the right of the picture in the miners' overalls and Australian bush hat. (Actually it's the sort of hat which Australian country dwellers would reserve for special occasions!) My scruffy old orange Junior 60, the large twin inter-war airliner and perhaps the large glider referred to above, were the only models built from a kit or plan. Every other model in the picture is ARTF. Sign of the times.

This very large tug featured a 170cc twin cylinder engine and dragged up two gliders simultaneously.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gueret October Interclubs (4) (Small).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2186603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gueret October Interclubs (3) (Small).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2186604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gueret October Interclubs (5) (Small).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2186605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gueret October Interclubs (9) (Small).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	2186606  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 10-20-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

What kind of tug is that I like it!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I remember the Cowsills - Hair, The Rain & Park & Things, Don't Walk Away Renee, John Fogerty & Credence Clearwater Revival - all their tunes, The Rascals - How Can I Be Sure, Groovin', Mustang Sally, The Midnight Hour, Tommy James & the Shondells - Crystal Blue Persuasion, Zager & Evans - In the Year 2525, Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass and etc. Yup, those were model building music along with the earlier 1960's and 1950's golden oldies.
What? No Brooklyn Bridge or 3 Dog Night?! Next thing you know you'll tell me you didn't listen to Dr. Demento back in hey day with such classics like Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, Dead Puppies Aren't Much Fun, and the ever popular Weird Al Vankovic!! Such cultural deprivation!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 AM
schomper42

I am new to RC Universe and need help. HOW DO I CREATE A NEW POST ???I have a question on my Airfield P40 1400mm plane but don't know how to create the post ??
Thank you
bob
Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

RT3232

When you mention whipper snappers my brain goes directly to Gabbey Hayes, Bob steele, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Lashe Larue and the Andrew sisters. It took several years before I had a radio in my room which I shared with my two brothers, we lived on the ninth floor in a housing project, money was scarce and my three sisters got preference So when I became old enough I struck out to get what I wanted.

Now at 75 and retired for the last 20 years and reading the text from my internet friends I feel very blessed. I still have to peel the glue from my fingers, and I loved the smell of my shop with the balsa chips on the floor and the planes hanging above. This is as close to heaven one can hope for while still breathing air, Oh yea I open all my windows to keep the fumes out of my lungs.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:47 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by schomper42
I am new to RC Universe and need help. HOW DO I CREATE A NEW POST ???I have a question on my Airfield P40 1400mm plane but don't know how to create the post ??
Thank you
bob
You just did! but not in the right place maybe.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM
GallopingGhostler

I am new to RC Universe and need help. HOW DO I CREATE A NEW POST ???I have a question on my Airfield P40 1400mm plane but don't know how to create the post ?? Thank you, bob
Bob, go to the forum that you want to place your new post in. You'll see a listing of posted topics (threads). On the top bar (mine is blue) with "Forum: [one you chose]", you'll find toward the right, "Forum Tools", "Search Forum". With your mouse, left click "Forum Tools". A drop down menu appears. Click on "Post a new thread...". That will open up a new web page that will allow you to start your post.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:07 AM
spaceworm

Thank you
bob
Hi Bob. You can also go to the "SEARCH" pulldown at the top of the page and type in your subject plane, and see if anyone else has posted about that plane. Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-21-2016, 07:08 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Retirement age - whenever we feel secure enough to tell the boss where he/she can shove it. "Officially" (US Govt) 65 or so.

WLS - Chicago. Back in the mid-1950s I used to listen to WCFL - Chicago on my kit-built AM radio. Got in trouble with dad many a night for that.

Tried, some time ago, to find records for WCFL - don't seem to be any. Hmmmmm...
I remember WCFL. Dick Biondi and Larry Lujack were there. WLS kicked off the popularity of the group Styx with Lady. Man, those were the days.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Hi Bob. You can also go to the "SEARCH" pulldown at the top of the page and type in your subject plane, and see if anyone else has posted about that plane. Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Sincerely, Richard
Here are some results from that search: " Your results may vary"

Last edited by spaceworm; 10-21-2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clean up formatting, cut duplicates out.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by acdii
Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Retirement age - whenever we feel secure enough to tell the boss where he/she can shove it. "Officially" (US Govt) 65 or so. WLS - Chicago. Back in the mid-1950s I used to listen to WCFL - Chicago on my kit-built AM radio. Got in trouble with dad many a night for that. Tried, some time ago, to find records for WCFL - don't seem to be any. Hmmmmm...
I remember WCFL. Dick Biondi and Larry Lujack were there. WLS kicked off the popularity of the group Styx with Lady. Man, those were the days.
History on http://www.radiotimeline.com/am1000wcfl.htm

It is now "Christian Music Radio": http://radio-locator.com/info/WCFL-FM

It further awaits someone to lay claim and establish a on-line classic radio broadcast stream (i.e., someone with the cash, know how and access to old recordings and create a site to put them on the Internet): http://tunein.com/radio/Classic-Hits...Radio-s212058/

Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

I use to download old radio programs it was a hoot listening to them!

Donny, you learned one of life greatest lessons, hard work is the key to get what you want and where you want to be! I'm the son of a man who was orphaned at age 6 he was taken in as a field hand and worked for everything he ever got. He taught me what was important for life and to value hard work. I think you would agree with me we may have worked hard but the good Lord looked after us and we still had it a lot better than I parents had it growing up!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:30 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Do you use the green label or the yellow label DUCO?
Y'know, I couldn't tell ya. Seems like it's a yellow with red lettering but I gotta check. Will do so next time I'm in the shop.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What kind of tug is that I like it!
Dunno but "OK" are the registration letters for the Czech republic post 1928 so I suppose it's a Czech aircraft from the inter-war period.

I like your post about working hard Donny. For those of us not born to privilege it's the only way to make progress legally unless you're very lucky! .
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Yeah, Donny is the type of guy you would love to have as a neighbor!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:44 PM
schomper42

I did what you said and posted my first post . It went well, now all I have to do is see if anyone responds. Thanks very much for your help.
bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.