Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Telemaster, at 58 engines, I am neither a horder, too.

.58 MDS Pro
.46 MDS Pro
.40 OS FP, Testors Black Head (venturi)
.35 K&B Torpedo (venturi), Testors Red Head (venturi, 2), Enya V TV, III TV
.25 Fox R/C, Thunder Tiger GP
.20 K&B Sportster (3)
.19 Enya VI TV, 19-V (venturi)
.15 Enya III TV (3), OS Max R/C, Thunder Tiger GP-15, OS Max FP-S (venturi)
.11 Gilbert Thunderhead (2)
.10 OS Max R/C (3)
.099 Fuji S-II ABC (2)
.09 Enya III TV, Enya III (venturi, 2)
.074 Cox Queen Bee
.074 Gilbert Thunderhead (3)
.07 Thunder Tiger GP-07
.061 Norvel Revlite
.059 OK Cub (reed valve)
.049 OK Cub A, B, Cox: RC Bee, Surestart (2), 290 (postage stamp back, 2), 290 (horseshoe back, 2), Black Widow (2), Babe Bee (2), Norvel Big Mig w/tank mount, Testors: McCoy Rotomatic, McCoy Red Head w/tank mount, 9000 reed valve w/tank mount
.020 Cox Tee Dee, Pee Wee (2)

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 10-25-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:04 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It's good to know I am not alone when it comes to having too much. no matter I am still looking for a set of retracts for my Bud Nosen Cesssna 310. not that I will have the time to complete it but not having the full set up is bugging me. I have five twin cylinder fs160's of which two will power the 310 should sound nice in the air!

As far as counting engines and kits .....no way, I feel less guilty guessing, what I do know is I have far more than I need or can use....and I love it.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well in 5 years I have accumulated 3 Magnum 91's, one Saito 91, two Saito 100, one Saito 72, one Saito 125, one Saito 45, one Saito FG-11, a DLE 20, DLE 30, and XYZ 20, a YS 120, a DA 100, an OS 70, OS Gemini 120, and an OS 52, also have one 2 Stroke OS 90. I have a few electrics too, but not counting those.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:27 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman
It's

As far as counting engines and kits .....no way, I feel less guilty guessing, what I do know is I have far more than I need or can use....and I love it.

Boy I am with you on the above, and at 84 3/4 I to love it. Just to bad my son and grandson don't have the interest.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

I just worked out that I have over six times as many engines as I have serviceable aircraft!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I just worked out that I have over six times as many engines as I have serviceable aircraft!
All that means is you need 6 times as many airplanes, now start building!!!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Or, 3 times as many airplanes with twin engines.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:27 AM
donnyman

Your opinion please..........................everybody respond please.

I am and have been a AMA member, but now I am not doing any flying or much of anything else except building.

Should I continue my membership and why? other than the magazine.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

I am and have been a AMA member, but now I am not doing any flying or much of anything else except building.

Like you I don't fly a lot either, a couple of years I didn't fly at all, but I like supporting the AMA thru my membership. They offer scholarships to kids, run outreach programs, and keep communication open with other entities with similar interests like the EAA, etc. Like it or not the AMA are also the only lobbying arm we have for the hobby to Congress and the FAA. The more members they have the bigger the voice the hobby has in Washington D.C. and the more influnce we have with legislation affecting our hobby. I also like having the luxury of knowing if i want to go flying at home or on the road I can. Most clubs require visitors to have a valid AMA card or they don't fly.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:58 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I would, the magazine has a lot of useful information, and also at the back shows all the upcoming events in your area, this time of year are the swap meets, and those are always useful. Even if you only fly a couple days a year, you will still need it. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have twenty-one models in the loft awaiting my attention, as identified in post 3178.

They should absorb quite a few of those spare engines!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have twenty-one models in the loft awaiting my attention, as identified in post 3178.

They should absorb quite a few of those spare engines!
Well take one down and start it, you're not getting any younger! For that matter I don't know how old that body is but the head looks like it been through at least a dozen bodies! ;-)

JUST KIDDING!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

[QUOTE=FlyerInOKC;12271092]Well take one down and start it, you're not getting any younger! For that matter I don't know how old that body is but the head looks like it been through at least a dozen bodies! ;-) /QUOTE]

Actually people always said that I looked ten years younger than my real age. However, last winter I grew a beard for the first time and I think it ages me. Ladies of my acquaintance think it makes me look "distinguished" so I haven't bothered with shaving it off!
Old 10-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I would continue my membership if I were you, providing it's not too expensive. That way, if you feel like flying you are in a position to go out and fly.

I had a ball yesterday afternoon. I managed to get my thirty eight year-old three channel Junior 60, a 1946 design, to take off! The engine, an HP VT 25, is extremely feeble and the model struggled into the air and once airborne it flew very, slowly gaining a little height with each circuit. Twenty-two minutes later all of the fuel was used up and the model glided down to land. Great fun.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior Sixty (Small).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2187698  
Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

However, last winter I grew a beard for the first time and I think it ages me. Ladies of my acquaintance think it makes me look "distinguished" so I haven't bothered with shaving it off!
Are you sure you didn't mistranslate the French and she really said "Old Fart"? ;-) The Junior 60 looks like it would be a blast to fly! @@ minutes is a good long flight too.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Since I mentioned OF here is the favorite t-shirt of one of my best friends from my school days. Depressingly we are the same age. My wife gave him the nickname "Ratchet jaw".

Name:	old_fart_formerly_know_as_stud_muffin_4_tshirt.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2187738  
Old 10-28-2016, 02:57 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a sweatshirt that says "Old Dude". Then underneath in smaller letters "Made of achy, breaky parts">
Old 10-30-2016, 09:18 AM
donnyman

So far the only real reason for me to join the AMA is the magazine, and maybe the insurance. I was hoping for more reasons! I'm Still undecided.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:31 AM
donnyman

I want to give a shoutout to the Outerzone plans site. FANTASTIC! and FREE.

I spend a lot of time just browsing the drawings So two thumbs up a snap and back flip for the Outerzone it's the greatest.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:38 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't argue with you on that point! Outerzone has provided me with DOZENS of great plans over the past several years - a few of which I hope to actually build one day.

As a counterpoint, I've provided them with a few too. It's a win-win all the way.

AMA - and PLEASE guys, don't flame on me. I'm just an average guy trying to enjoy my thing and this is just how I see things today.

Just to play devil's advocate - and I'm a huge fan of AMA, been a member since 1973, so please take that into account: For much of the period 1973 to just a couple years ago, if you were like me - someone who flies solo in the middle of nowhere - the actual need for AMA membership was a rather nebulous thing. Sure, there's the mag, insurance, tips & ideas - great things, all. But, you could actually survive alone with your planes.

That's all changed - at least, in my opinion. Suddenly, the US Govt decided that we need to be "regulated" (read that "controlled") because we haven't done a good enough job on our own since the Wright brothers, and THEY know more about our welfare than we do. There are a lot of aviation orgs working for their people to minimize the disasterous effects of Uncle Sugar's decrees - AMA is the only one running interference for us. There's absolutely ZERO chance of us surviving govt edicts on our own. BTW, I was born into the military and ran my own 22 yr military career - was 41 yrs old before I was NOT under direct government control, so I know about the govt. Anything they stick their noses into suffers - and only an organization like AMA has a chance of mitigating that suffering.

and, YES! I recognize that over the years AMA has pulled some boners - they might or might not be pulling one right now with their embrace of MRs. I dunno one way or another. I'm, personally, not happy with it, but I'm just one guy - and I'm not always right either (which would surprise my wife greatly) ((LOL)).

IMHO, they need us just as much as we need them - and WE NEED THEM in this world.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Last edited by skylark-flier; 10-30-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 AM
donnyman

Dave

I am with you on both counts. The Outerzone will be getting all the plans I can send them, because they need to be shared and the zone does it right. being able to see the drawings is of paramount concern to me, and they make it so simple.

As far as the AMA is concerned Our feelings are the same I will probably sign up again but..........
Old 10-31-2016, 05:50 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I completely understand your AMA feelings. This year (2016), it was March before I actually signed-up again. There WAS a lot of hemming and hawing for me, primarily due to the FAA crap. I really was wondering if it was worth it anymore - kinda thinking back then that I might actually drop the whole hobby because of the govt garbage, which I didn't really want to do. Been flying since I was 7 (1955), wasn't much of a fan of not flying anymore. Now that THAT's resolved (for the present), much/most of my doubts are fairly settled and I'm good with them again.

God only knows what the future will bring though.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 AM
FlyerInOKC

The way I like at it we need the AMA if only to be our voice in Washington D.C. What with all the fear about terrroism and the back lash on drones our hobby could very easily get hit in the crossfire if there is no one speak on our behalf. Does the AMA scrwe up sometimes? Heck yeah! But who doesn't? Here is a picture of my latest bonehead stupid mistake from over the weekend. First person to figure it out gets a burnt cookie mailed postage due!

Name:	P1100818.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	2188367  
Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Here is a picture of my latest bonehead stupid mistake from over the weekend. First person to figure it out gets a burnt cookie mailed postage due!
The end ribs can't be installed because the washers soldered to the axles are in the way.
By the way, mail me airfare or gas money and I will pick up my cookie in person
Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by spaceworm
The end ribs can't be installed because the washers soldered to the axles are in the way.
By the way, mail me airfare or gas money and I will pick up my cookie in person
We have a winner! Yep, I realized I hadn't soldered the brass axles to the center wire and didn't realize why I hadn't done it until AFTER I screwed it. I have been debating if I should attempt to unsolder the washer or the tube and remove it but then you have to resolder it back again and there are no guarantees you won't over heat the lumber, or cut the slot all the way down and then glue the piece back with a small reinforcement on the back side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.